PDA

View Full Version : Best Acting Job (nf, not bwood related)

injuredinmelee
08-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Whats your fav role of all time. I am torn between 3.
1. Dustin Hoffman as Rainman
2. Nicolas Cage in Leaving Las Vegas (and I hate him everything else)
3. Sean Penn in I Am Sam.

I have to leave Hoffman at the top though.

SWMustang
08-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Kevin Costner - Bull Durham
That karate dude in Billy Jack
Sean Astin - Rudy

I really have a hard time giving actors the nod for portraying people with mental handicaps. I will give Rain Man props in that category but that's about it.

CelinaCatFan
08-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Val Kilmer in Tombstone
Mel Gibson in Braveheart
Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men

Daddy D 11
08-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Kevin Costner - Bull Durham
That karate dude in Billy Jack
Sean Astin - Rudy

I really have a hard time giving actors the nod for portraying people with mental handicaps. I will give Rain Man props in that category but that's about it.

If you're going to nominate Costner, nominate him for Dances With Wolves!

even though Bull Durham has my favorite movie line in it..

" hold it like an egg. "
" i held it like an egg! "
"well...he just scrambled it! "

I'd have to say Mel Gibson in Braveheart and Robert Duval/Tommy Lee Jones in Lonesome Dove.

SWMustang
08-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Tommy Lee Jones reminded me of someone else. The Psycho Dude in No Country for Old Men. "Where does he work" When my wife is giving me a long list of honeydo's I just start chanting that line to make her stop - when she reaches the maximum number of chores I'm gonna do that day.

Daddy D 11
08-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Tommy Lee Jones reminded me of someone else. The Psycho Dude in No Country for Old Men. "Where does he work" When my wife is giving me a long list of honeydo's I just start chanting that line to make her stop - when she reaches the maximum number of chores I'm gonna do that day.

what line? ive seen the movie but im drawing a blank:confused:

SWMustang
08-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
what line? ive seen the movie but im drawing a blank:confused:

When he goes to the trailer park office looking for the guy who stole the money. He asks Where does he work and she tells him 3 or 4 times she can't tell him but he keeps asking.

Daddy D 11
08-04-2008, 09:07 PM
When he goes to the trailer park office looking for the guy who stole the money. He asks Where does he work and she tells him 3 or 4 times she can't tell him but he keeps asking.

that lady cracked me up, i love Tommy Lee Jones assistant Deputy too

pirate4state
08-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Tommy Lee Jones reminded me of someone else. The Psycho Dude in No Country for Old Men. "Where does he work" When my wife is giving me a long list of honeydo's I just start chanting that line to make her stop - when she reaches the maximum number of chores I'm gonna do that day. \

HAHAHA

Maybe she should respond with "You don't know what you are talking about, do you?"

:D

completely random because i just caught pieces of these movies today

John Malkovich - Rounders
Judd Nelson - The Breakfast Club

injuredinmelee
08-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
\

John Malkovich - Rounders

All night long you CHECK CHECK CHECK. Great flick!

STANG RED
08-05-2008, 12:13 AM
Way too many to mention, but Tom Hanks as Forrest Gump was amazing.

Also, Billy Bob Thornton in Slingblade was one hell of a performance, and I dont really even like him for the most part.

Will Smith as Ali was pretty awesome to. He pumped a lot of iron to get the body, then he got Ali down pat in the performance.

injuredinmelee
08-05-2008, 08:32 AM
I couldnt make myself watch all of Slingblade. I swear that the movie had no script. They ad libbed the entire thing.

jason
08-05-2008, 09:00 AM
bob barker in happy gilmore
jim carey in dumb and dumber

Sweetwater Red
08-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Joe Pesci, Jack Nicholson, and Benecio del Toro in any role.

crzyjournalist03
08-05-2008, 09:14 AM
John Heder--Napoleon Dynamite

jason
08-05-2008, 09:15 AM
paris hilton in 'one night in paris'

crzyjournalist03
08-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by jason

Is it acting if you're just being yourself???

pirate4state
08-05-2008, 09:20 AM
:doh: :doh: LOL

Joe Pesci - Goodfellas
Al Pacino - Godfather II
Robert Duval - pretty much every thing he does, but he cracked me up in Apocalypse Now :D

DDBooger
08-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I couldnt make myself watch all of Slingblade. I swear that the movie had no script. They ad libbed the entire thing. "not haha funny, funny queer" funniest line of whole movie, oh and when dwight yoakum gets slungblade! lol

DDBooger
08-05-2008, 09:22 AM
:doh: :doh: LOL

Joe Pesci - Goodfellas
Al Pacino - Godfather II
Robert Duval - pretty much every thing he does, but he cracked me up in Apocalypse Now :D shame on you...
Jeff Bridges - The Big Lebowski
John Goodman - the Big Lebowski
Denzel Washington - Man on Fire or pretty much everything.

pirate4state
08-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
shame on you...
Jeff Bridges - The Big Lebowski
John Goodman - the Big Lebowski
Denzel Washington - Man on Fire or pretty much everything.
LOL
I have too many favorites. Those are good as well. I'd include Morgan Freeman as one of those "pretty much everything"

Denzel Washington - Training Day, et al - he's awesome

BobcatBenny
08-05-2008, 09:28 AM
1. BobcatBenny on the 3ADownLow
2. Dustin Hoffman in Rainman
3. Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump
4. Billy Bob Thorton in Sling Blade

If you act retarded (mentally handicapped for you PC sensitive types) you are the best!!! :D

DDBooger
08-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
1. BobcatBenny on the 3ADownLow
2. Dustin Hoffman in Rainman
3. Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump
4. Billy Bob Thorton in Sling Blade

If you act retarded (mentally handicapped for you PC sensitive types) you are the best!!! :D what about Gilbert Grape's lil brother?

Phil C
08-05-2008, 09:37 AM
So many that it is impossible to pick out a top one or even three but some that are so memorial include in no special order

1. Alex Nicol in the great 1954 western Dawn at Socorro. He plays Jimmy Rapp a gunfighter with a sense of honor. He is a gunfighter but is likeable but has a personal grudge against Roy Calhoun. He gets drunk the night before and wakes up to gunfire in a fight between Calhoun and the Sheriff offices with his adopted family. Nicol realizes his helplessness in behing drunk and in a memorial scene he has a look of horror as he throws the bottle of whiskey down and tries to get his gun on to go help his adopted family to no avail. Next the great scene between Nicol, Calhoun and Piper Laurie on the stage ride to Socorro and the dialogue between them is excellent. Then the final night at the saloon mainly between Laurie, Calhoun and the crooked David Brian with Nicol in the background but his presense is felt and is devastating. And then the final showdown between Calhoun and Nicol that the audiance wishes would never happen but it does. Naturally I won't give away the ending so you can enjoy it when you see this movie and enjoy this great performance.

2. Mick Jagger in Freejack which also stars Emilio Estevez and Anthony Hopkins. He plays Victor Vacendak and is magnificient. Don't miss this one.

3. Strother Martin in Cool Hand Luck. He is great as the cruel warden of the prison and who can forget his great line "What we got here is failure to communicate."

4. Edgar Buchannan as the judge in Move Over Darling. He didn't have a big part in this movie but he made it count while he was there and he was hilarious. This is a very funny movie with Doris Day, James Garner, Polly Bergin and Thelma Ritter. Other supporting minors roles (but they were great while they were there) were Chuck Connors (the Rifleman), John Astin (Patty Duke's husband), and Don Knotts.

5. Johnny Cash in a Gunfight which co-stars Kirk Douglas, Kirk Douglas was great but Johnny Cash was even better in this movie and in this great performance.

6. Bruce Dern for his great performances in The Cowboys and Black Sunday (he should have won an oscar for this one).

7. Vincent Price for his great performance in House of Usher.

8. Bette Davis and Joan Crawford for their performances in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane.

9. Arch Hall Jr. in the great movie The Sadist.

10. Jean Hagan for her great performance in Singing in the Rain.

BobcatBenny
08-05-2008, 09:38 AM
what about Gilbert Grape's lil brother?
Are you talking about Rocket from Brownwood?

pirate4state
08-05-2008, 09:39 AM
what about Gilbert Grape's lil brother?
right on
Leo Dicaprio, as Arnie "I could go at anytime" Grape :2thumbsup
I also really liked Brad Pitt in 12 monkeys :D

DDBooger
08-05-2008, 09:41 AM
right on
Leo Dicaprio, as Arnie "I could go at anytime" Grape :2thumbsup
I also really liked Brad Pitt in 12 monkeys :D
have you seen his baseball?
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll178/jorcuttus/Haveyouseenmahweiner.jpg

pirate4state
08-05-2008, 09:43 AM

hahaha

"frank & beans!"

omg....i need to get to work :D

pirate4state
08-05-2008, 09:43 AM
HOLY CRAP

Matthew McConaughey - Dazed & Confused

BobcatBenny
08-05-2008, 09:46 AM
For sho'

Best acting job ever!

Frank and Beans!

Phil C
08-05-2008, 09:49 AM
And don't forget James Dean in the great 1955 movie Rebel Without A Cause which also stared Natalie Wood and Sal Mineo. I know that he was nominated that year for East of Eden but in my opinion this is the one he should have been nominated for and what is more he should have won.

jason
08-05-2008, 09:51 AM
emerson1 in pirates of the caribbean 2: deadly waters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mj7L1SmOp4

Phil C
08-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Kirk Douglas was great in Lust for Life made in 1956. He was cheated out of the oscar when they gave it to Yul Brynner in The King and I. Yul was very good but Kirk was the one who should have got the oscar.

DDBooger
08-05-2008, 09:57 AM
emerson1 in pirates of the caribbean 2: deadly waters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mj7L1SmOp4 that was magical

wimbo_pro
08-05-2008, 10:10 AM

Problem is...so many men participated in "One Night in Paris" that it would be impossible to determine the winner.

STANG RED
08-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Heres one for Phil C.

How about Al Jolsen in The Jazz Singer :D

Wasnt that the first talkie? Made in sometime in the 20s?

Seriously though, Kirk Douglas in Spartacus has to be mentioned, and dont forget Charlton Heston in Ben Hur.

And one of my all time favorites that I just remembered, but havent seen in at least 20 years. Burt Lancaster as the Birdman of Alcatraz.
Which reminds me of the Shawshank Redemption with Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman. Both had great performances in a great movie. I caught this one again a couple weeks back about 1/2 way through the movie and had to watch it.

Necks_Fan
08-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Billy Bob Thornton - Sling Blade

BobcatBenny
08-05-2008, 10:45 AM
that was magical
Pure nectar of retarded genius! :clap:

STANG RED
08-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Just remembered another great one.

Jack Nicholson and the guy that played Cheif in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". Those were great performances by not only those two, but by the whole cast. The Nurse was mean as hell, and made you believe it.
Probobly lots of youngsters on here that have never seen this movie. Do yourself a huge favor and go find it. It's great!

I first saw it as a psychology class assignment in 1977, and have seen it at least 10 times since, but its been at least 5 or more years since the last time. I'm ready to see it again.
Be warned though, it is very intense and uncomfortable to watch in several spots, but the rest of it makes it well worth it.

DDBooger
08-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Billy Bob Thornton - Bad Santa

pirate4state
08-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Billy Bob Thornton - Bad Santa

stop it! :mad: :D :D

Kevin Spacey - The Usual Suspects, Seven, The Ref, American Beauty......

jason
08-05-2008, 12:42 PM
ranger mom - girls gone wild - spring break edition

( . )v( . )

carter08
08-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Johnny Depp- Blow
Jake Gyllenhaal- Donnie Darko
Paul Giamatti- Sideways
Cary Grant- His Girl Friday

nobogey72
08-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Hard to name just one------ but------- If I had to pick just one it would be Cuba Gooding, Jr. in "Radio".

Phil C
08-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Heres one for Phil C.

How about Al Jolsen in The Jazz Singer :D

Wasnt that the first talkie? Made in sometime in the 20s?

Seriously though, Kirk Douglas in Spartacus has to be mentioned, and dont forget Charlton Heston in Ben Hur.

And one of my all time favorites that I just remembered, but havent seen in at least 20 years. Burt Lancaster as the Birdman of Alcatraz.
Which reminds me of the Shawshank Redemption with Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman. Both had great performances in a great movie. I caught this one again a couple weeks back about 1/2 way through the movie and had to watch it.

Right you are STANG. Al Jolsen was a great black singer/actor and that movie pioneered sound.

RedWhiteBlue
08-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Hard to name just one------ but------- If I had to pick just one it would be Cuba Gooding, Jr. in "Radio".
Excellent one.
Also, Michael Clarke Duncan as John Coffey in "The Green Mile".

Phil C
08-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Just remembered another great one.

Jack Nicholson and the guy that played Cheif in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". Those were great performances by not only those two, but by the whole cast. The Nurse was mean as hell, and made you believe it.
Probobly lots of youngsters on here that have never seen this movie. Do yourself a huge favor and go find it. It's great!

I first saw it as a psychology class assignment in 1977, and have seen it at least 10 times since, but its been at least 5 or more years since the last time. I'm ready to see it again.
Be warned though, it is very intense and uncomfortable to watch in several spots, but the rest of it makes it well worth it.

STANG the Chief was played by Will Sampson who appeared in several other movies such as Orca. It is a movie worth seeing indeed. It won best acto and actress oscars for Jack Nicholson and Louise Fletcher (the mean nurse) and also best picture which is very rare for a movie to win all three awards. It was co-produced by Michael Douglas (Kirk's son) who also has had a great acting career and won an acting oscar for Wall Street. Kirk had played Jack's role on broadway and would have loved to have had Jack's role but by the time they were able to bring it to the screen everyone agreed he was then too old for the part.

BobcatBenny
08-05-2008, 02:09 PM
My handicapped theory seems to be holding true.

If you want to be recognized as the best actor, you have to be mentally handicapped or have an incurable disease (see Tom Hanks in Philadelphia).

sotxrat
08-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Steve McQueen in Bullit, The magnificent seven and many more

BwdLion73
08-05-2008, 02:21 PM
"Pee Wee" Herman....'Pee Wee's Big Adventure'!

DDBooger
08-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
Excellent one.
Also, Michael Clarke Duncan as John Coffey in "The Green Mile". real sad movie

nobogey72
08-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Halle Berry in "Monster's Ball". I don't remember anything special about the movie, or her acting performance. But----- I do remember her top coming off and therefore I nominate her.:inlove: :cheerl: :2thumbsup

jason
08-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Halle Berry in "Monster's Ball". I don't remember anything special about the movie, or her acting performance. But----- I do remember her top coming off and therefore I nominate her.:inlove: :cheerl: :2thumbsup if thats the only credential required then see my post above this one a few spots...

DDBooger
08-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
"Pee Wee" Herman....'Pee Wee's Big Adventure'!
"im a loner dottie, a rebel"
oscar line!

pirate4state
08-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
"Pee Wee" Herman....'Pee Wee's Big Adventure'! man, this movie cracks me up EVERYTIME i see it! :2thumbsup

"what's the significance? I DON'T KNOW!"

Originally posted by DDbooger
"im a loner dottie, a rebel"
oscar line!

"Things you wouldn't understand. Things you couldn't understand. Things you shouldn't understand."

SWMustang
08-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Heath Ledger - Brokeback Mountain

I would have nominated Jake Gyllenhaal but I didn't think he was acting.

BobcatBenny
08-05-2008, 03:16 PM

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/images/smilies/barf.gif http://www.aximsite.com/boards/images/smilies/barf.gif http://www.aximsite.com/boards/images/smilies/barf.gif

Phil C
08-05-2008, 03:33 PM
Audie Murphy in the great western No Name on the Bullet. This movie was made in 1959. Murphy plays a good/bad guy and he may have been the first even before Clint Eastwood.

Phil C
08-06-2008, 02:36 PM

Also Heath Ledger as the Joker in The Dark Night. He should be nominated for best actor or best supporting actor and win it and it would not be a sympathy win - it would be well deserved. I never thought anyone would out do Jack Nickolson as The Joker but Heath was magnificient and came up to the challenge.

piratebg
08-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Vincent D'Onofrio- Full Metal Jacket
Al Pacino- The Godfather Saga
Tom Hanks-Bachelor Party

Old Tiger
08-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Denzel Washington - Training Day
Johnny Depp - Sweeny Todd

Mcguirk
08-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Tracey Walter- Repo Man "A repo man is always intense"
Henry Fonda- Once Upon a time in the West
A Tie between John Astin - Evil Roy Slade
& Rowdy Roddy Piper - John Carpenter's They LIve

piratebg
08-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Mcguirk
Rowdy Roddy Piper - John Carpenter's They Live

I love this movie. So many cool quotes. :D

Mcguirk
08-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
I love this movie. So many cool quotes. :D

And Commannds; "OBEY", "CONFORM", "MARRY AND REPRODUCE", "CONSUME", "WATCH TELEVISION" and "SLEEP":cool:

bulldogbark
08-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Cuba Gooding Jr in Radio, great acting, great movie.

piratebg
08-06-2008, 10:04 PM
And Commannds; "OBEY", "CONFORM", "MARRY AND REPRODUCE", "CONSUME", "WATCH TELEVISION" and "SLEEP":cool:

I always liked the way the money said "THIS IS YOUR GOD" or something like that. Crazy stuff but a good flick.

mwynn05
08-07-2008, 01:49 AM
I dont know about best but Heath Ledger was awesome as the Joker in The Dark Knight....maybe because it was such a creepy character and his death was pretty recent, but he was REALLY creepy in that movie and it was a great acting job

Trashman
08-07-2008, 04:28 AM
John Wayne in The Green Berets and Midway
Chris Farley in Tommy Boy.
Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder in Blazing Saddles.
Everybody in Happy Gilmore.

lion75
08-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Marlon Brando - Apocalyps Now
D. Washington - Training Day
Hally Berry - Monsters Ball

Mcguirk
08-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by lion75
Marlon Brando - Apocalyps Now
D. Washington - Training Day
Hally Berry - Monsters Ball

I took a first date to see Apocalypse Now. She didn't like it as much as I did. Never talked to me again:confused:

Phil C
08-08-2008, 10:20 AM
I took a first date to see Apocalypse Now. She didn't like it as much as I did. Never talked to me again:confused:

:confused: :(

BwdLions
08-08-2008, 01:25 PM
I don't know if these are my top six, but they're some of my favorites.

1. Gary Cooper - The Westerner
2. Jack Nicholson - Batman
3. Bill Murray - Caddyshack
4. Mel Gibson - The Patriot
5. Jack Nicholson - A Few Good Men
6. Tom Hanks - Saving Private Ryan

Necks_Fan
08-08-2008, 02:22 PM

I would have nominated Jake Gyllenhaal but I didn't think he was acting. :dispntd: :eek:

Originally posted by Go Blue
Johnny Depp - Sweeny Todd Too gay....

Phil C
08-08-2008, 02:36 PM
John Wayne made many great movies. Some of the ones I think he should have been nominated for an oscar Red River in 1948, The Searchers in 1956, Rio Bravo in 1959, The Commancheros in 1961, Big Jake in 1971, and The Shootist in 1976 just to name a few. The ones I feel he should have won was Red River, The Searchers (even though Kirk Douglas should have won that year but didn't), and The Shootist. He was nominated for his performance in 1949 for Sands of Iwo Jima but lost out when he should have won. Another of his great performance in 1949 was She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. He finally won for 1969 movie True Grit which was well deserved.

BwdLions
08-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
John Wayne made many great movies. Some of the ones I think he should have been nominated for an oscar Red River in 1948, The Searchers in 1956, Rio Bravo in 1959, The Commancheros in 1961, Big Jake in 1971, and The Shootist in 1976 just to name a few. The ones I feel he should have won was Red River, The Searchers (even though Kirk Douglas should have won that year but didn't), and The Shootist. He was nominated for his performance in 1949 for Sands of Iwo Jima but lost out when he should have won. Another of his great performance in 1949 was She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. He finally won for 1969 movie True Grit which was well deserved.

Any movie with the Duke in it is a good one. I can never pass up one of his movies when I find one on. Even though I've seen most of his movies several dozen times.

Mcguirk
08-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
:confused: :(

Perchance, I should expound upon my circumstance. Being naïve concerning the fairer sex, and inexperienced in the ritual of dating, I did not dissect the content of the movie before suggesting its viewing. Being that it was our first evening together on the town, I chose it at the endorsement of my associates. After many of its sanguinary scenes, especially concerning the decapitation of the oxen, she informed me of the doltishness of my suggestion. Thenceforth, she refused to interact with me in any form of communication...........

I had a date with this sorority girl. It was our first date together. She wanted to go see a movie. My friends said AN was a good movie, and I’d like it. I don’t like to know how movies end, so I didn’t ask any questions. It was so weird and gory (especially the ox scene) and she was so grossed out that she got mad at me and never spoke to me again.
:clap:

bandera7
08-10-2008, 12:43 AM
I have a few favorites...

Heath Ledger in "The Dark Night"-after hearing all the hype I thought it was just pity. But this will/should be his legacy. Forget that brokeback crap.

Cuba Gooding Jr. in "Men of Honor"-A great movie, a bit boring in parts but Cuba exemplifies his role, really plays it perfectly.

Gerard Butler in "300"-call it over dramatic, call it what you want. But Gerard really played it well, he was what the Spartans were thought to be.

Edward Norton in "Fight Club"-he pulled off an extremely hard role. How many honestly knew it was coming at the end?

Denzel Washington in "Deja Vu"-well all of his stuff is great. But he really pulled this one off well. Thought it was a fantastic show.