PDA

View Full Version : Progreso Red Ants, last in 32-3A

navscanmaster
08-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Progreso returns 8/7 starters from last years 4-6, 0-4 team. RB Vega had over 1300 yards rushing in a normal 10 game season, and he has an experienced line to run behind this year. With 8 teams in this years 32-3A, and the big three of Port Isabel, Rio Hondo, and Raymondville all returning solid playoff teams with lots of experience, the playoffs are but a distant dream this year, but that doesn't mean the Red Ants can't lay the foundation to build on next year.

If anybody is online in the valley and not cleaning limbs off power lines and such, please add your thoughts.

:)

footballgal
08-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Progreso will be the underdog this season, BUT Progreso will have some talent at the skill positions. They will also have good size with decent speed. That and with the improved season they had last season, this could build their confidence and surprise any team. Progreso returns 1,000 yard rusher Juan Vega and newcomer to the QB position (Garcia) at 6'1 who also doubles at linebacker I believe.

Progreso had a huge victory last season when they upset 32-4A Mission eagles.

navscanmaster
08-06-2008, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
Progreso will be the underdog this season, BUT Progreso will have some talent at the skill positions. They will also have good size with decent speed. That and with the improved season they had last season, this could build their confidence and surprise any team. Progreso returns 1,000 yard rusher Juan Vega and newcomer to the QB position (Garcia) at 6'1 who also doubles at linebacker I believe.

Progreso had a huge victory last season when they upset 32-4A Mission eagles.

Good info. I go through Progresso every so often to shop on the Mexican side. I kind of thought the Red Ants used to be a power in the valley?

LHexPlayer
08-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Best mascot award.

Footballhudini
08-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by LHexPlayer
Best mascot award.

LMAO!

Daddy D 11
08-06-2008, 01:19 PM
A 6.1" QB that doubles at LB? That's impressive.

navscanmaster
08-06-2008, 01:21 PM
When we played Adam Dunn at New Caney, he doubled QB/LB. Course he was 6-5, 255:eek:

Daddy D 11
08-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
When we played Adam Dunn at New Caney, he doubled QB/LB. Course he was 6-5, 255:eek:

Adam Dunn is an animal, i would've loved to see him in High School.

footballgal
08-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by LHexPlayer
Best mascot award.

+1 For sure !

Last year when they were 3-0 or was it 4-0? anyhow, they had many people call their school. The reason for the calls from around the state? They were requesting T-Shirts and caps that would sport their Mascot. "Progreso Mighty Red Ants"

navscanmaster
08-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Adam Dunn is an animal, i would've loved to see him in High School.

Our guys were always good at getting his goat though.:devil:

I do remember when he was a Senior, they came to Brule Field during either our 1-9 or 0-10 year. He pitched out on an option, and proceeded to lay out two of our linebackers on blocks. One of those linebackers got a ride to Oklahoma (Fred Fleeks), but didn't stay in school for some reason. When he dunked in thump-thump warmups, it sounded like a friggin explosion...:eek:

ronwx5x
08-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Good info. I go through Progresso every so often to shop on the Mexican side. I kind of thought the Red Ants used to be a power in the valley?

Two winning season (both 6-4) in 21 years? Not much power there!:eek: