PDA

View Full Version : Dark Knight's Failure?

ronwx5x
08-04-2008, 05:57 PM
We all knew it was all just hype. No movie could be that good or earn tha much $$$$$$!

Monday Movie Buzz: Bale's Batman voice too much?
Sunday August 3 1:44 PM ET
Though "The Dark Knight" has been a bona fide cultural event, boasting rave reviews and boffo box office, it hasn't been immune to criticism. Some have quibbled with its political undercurrents, and others have criticized a muddled theme.
But here's the critique most widely held: Why does Batman talk like the offspring of Clint Eastwood and a grizzly bear?
Donning the costume for the second time, Christian Bale has delved deeper into the lower registers. As Bruce Wayne, his voice is as smooth as his finely pressed suits. But once he puts the cape on, the transformation of his vocal chords is just as dramatic as his costume change.

Particularly when his rage boils over, Bale's Batman growls in an almost beastly fashion, reflecting how close he teeters between do-gooder and vengeance-crazed crusader.
"The Dark Knight" hauled in $43.8 million to rank as Hollywood's top movie for the third straight weekend, fending off "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" which opened a close second with $42.5 million. It has earned $394.9 million in just 17 days, according to studio estimates Sunday.
Though much of the voice effect is Bale's own doing, under the guidance of director Christopher Nolan and supervising sound editor Richard King, the frequency of his Batman voice was modulated to exaggerate the effect.
Critics and fans have noticed.
"His Batman rasps his lines in a voice that's deeper and hammier than ever," said NPR's David Edelstein.
The New Yorker's David Denby praised the urgency of Bale's Batman, but lamented that he "delivers his lines in a hoarse voice with an unvarying inflection."
Reviewing the film for MSNBC, Alonso Duralde wrote that Bale's Batman in "Batman Begins" "sounded absurdly deep, like a 10-year-old putting on an `adult' voice to make prank phone calls. This time, Bale affects an eerie rasp, somewhat akin to Brenda Vaccaro doing a Miles Davis impression."
Before the similes run too far afield, it's worth considering where the concept of a throaty Batman comes from.
In his portrayal on the `60s "Batman" TV series, Adam West didn't alter his voice between Bruce Wayne and Batman. Decades later when Tim Burton brought "Batman" to the big screen in a much darker incarnation, Michael Keaton's inflection was notably but not considerably different from one to the other.
But it was a lesser-known actor who, a few years after Burton's film, made perhaps the most distinct imprint on Batman's voice. Kevin Conroy, as the voice of the animated Batman in various projects from 1992's "Batman: The Animated Series" right up until this year's "Batman: Gotham Knight," brought a darker, raspier vocalization to Batman.
Conroy has inhabit the role longer than anyone else and though animated voice-over work doesn't have the same cachet as feature film acting, there are quarters where Conroy is viewed as the best Batman of them all certainly superior to Val Kilmer or George Clooney.
The animated series are notable because they drew on the DC Comics of Batman as envisioned by Frank Miller, whose work heavily informs "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight." (Bale and Nolan were unavailable to comment for this story.)
As Batman has gotten darker, his voice has gotten deeper. As some critics suggest, Bale and "The Dark Knight" may have reached a threshold, at least audibly.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20080803/121779624000.html
:clap: :clap:

bigwood33
08-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Talk about over thinking something! He changes his voice so that people won't recognize him...duh! It is just escapism and pretty good at that. Even my wife liked it.

Emerson1
08-04-2008, 06:28 PM
This is the only complaint I have heard about this movie. I guess that's why it's going to be the highest grossing movie of all time.

I don't mind the voice change, they probably didn't do it in the past because they didn't think of that.

If there was no voice change, people would say how would everyone NOT know Bruce Wayne was Batman?

Bearkat
08-04-2008, 07:04 PM
I agree with this. I loved the movie, and there's no doubt that Heath Ledger stole the show. However, I think Christian Bale is the worst Batman of all. Give me Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, or even George Clooney, just get rid of Bale and his voice.

ronwx5x
08-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Bearkat
I agree with this. I loved the movie, and there's no doubt that Heath Ledger stole the show. However, I think Christian Bale is the worst Batman of all. Give me Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, or even George Clooney, just get rid of Bale and his voice.

Did the voice irritate you before you read this article? I have not seen the movie, but my daughter and son in law loved it.

injuredinmelee
08-04-2008, 07:27 PM
didnt the mummy out earn it at the box office this weekend? If people can buy Fraser as an action star then anything is possible.

PHS Wildcats
08-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
didnt the mummy out earn it at the box office this weekend? If people can buy Fraser as an action star then anything is possible.

No Batman still came in #1 with alomost 43 million

The mummy had 40 million

Emerson1
08-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Mummy will drop off after this week, batman will probably slide to #2 with Pineapple Express coming out.

Mummy 3 had some GREAT pr people, that movie was hyped up really well and it got the worst reviews of the year so far.

Brandon Fraser is a TERRIBLE actor, he is the same in every movie. Guess that is why he mainly does kid movies though.

SWMustang
08-04-2008, 08:40 PM
I liked Nicholson's joker better.

Daddy D 11
08-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I liked Nicholson's joker better.

Nicholson was good, but Ledger was equally as impressive.

And i noticed the voice while i was watching the movie, it was wayy too deep.

SWMustang
08-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Nicholson was good, but Ledger was equally as impressive.

And i noticed the voice while i was watching the movie, it was wayy too deep.

I think for the tone of the movie Ledger did a good job. This batman movie was a little too serious (and long) for my tastes. I mean we are talking about a dude that puts on a costume and runs around fighting crime. Lighten up a little and have fun with the role.

pirate4state
08-04-2008, 08:52 PM
the voice was the only thing that bugged me, but i noticed it in Batman Returns too

Daddy D 11
08-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I think for the tone of the movie Ledger did a good job. This batman movie was a little too serious (and long) for my tastes. I mean we are talking about a dude that puts on a costume and runs around fighting crime. Lighten up a little and have fun with the role.

true, but i liked the direction they went in with this movie. The whole sonar thing, that allowed batman to monitor voices throughout the city and see through walls was gay though. That was the only thing in my opinion that they went a little too far on.

ronwx5x
08-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
true, but i liked the direction they went in with this movie. The whole sonar thing, that allowed batman to monitor voices throughout the city and see through walls was gay though. That was the only thing in my opinion that they went a little too far on.

As I said, I have not seen the movie. But Sonar that SEES? Sonar is "Sound Navigation and Ranging", and has nothing to do with seeing anything, only transmitting and recieving sound.

:confused:

Daddy D 11
08-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
As I said, I have not seen the movie. But Sonar that SEES? Sonar is "Sound Navigation and Ranging", and has nothing to do with seeing anything, only transmitting and recieving sound.

:confused:

Trust me, in the movie they say that. They use sonar to open up Doplar images inside his head or something along those lines. Like i said, its the only thing that didnt make any sense to me.

Blastoderm55
08-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Best movie in ages. I saw it Saturday for the second time in S.A. They were showing it on 5 screens in a theater near La Cantera and it was still selling out! Flat out amazing. The other Batman movies pale in comparison, and this is coming from a big fan of the first two films by Tim Burton. Michael Keaton was good, but it was difficult to separate his Bruce Wayne from his Batman, while Bale's characters are practically complete opposites. As much as I look forward to a third installment, I am terribly pained to think of a sequel without Heath Ledger. Simply amazing performance. And don't ignore Aaron Eckhert, he was great too!

carter08
08-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Bale has to do that.

Batman is not a normal human being. At heart, he is a savage brute. He retains enough of Bruce to stay human. The growls represent the true beast within yearning to escape. Bruce was becoming less human as the movie progressed, as noted by the interrogation scene. In the end, he realises he is still human. I expect the voice to be more restrained in future movies since he has conquered the inner demons.

OldNavy
08-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by carter08
Bale has to do that.

Batman is not a normal human being. At heart, he is a savage brute. He retains enough of Bruce to stay human. The growls represent the true beast within yearning to escape. Bruce was becoming less human as the movie progressed, as noted by the interrogation scene. In the end, he realises he is still human. I expect the voice to be more restrained in future movies since he has conquered the inner demons.

Yea, but can he run a good slant route and then see well enough to avoid tacklers as he turns upfield. I don't think that helmet is regulation and I noticed he did not have a mouth piece. Wouldn't that get a flag? Also, not sure those shoes would give him the maneuverability necessary to make sharp cuts on the New Turf. As for the voice, it really isn't a problem, there is no talking in the huddle except by the QB. On the D however, that streight ahead hard hitting style will work just fine. Is he a senior this year? Who is recruiting him? What's his 40 time? Is his nickname Beast?