PDA

View Full Version : Lamesa Golden Tornadoes, last in 3-3A

navscanmaster
08-04-2008, 04:19 PM
8/9 starters back from a 0 fer season. You can't help but to think that they will improve with 17 of 22 starters returning, but a playoff spot is probably still wishful thinking. Looks like they have a stout Offensive line returning, but are rather slim on skill players to run behind them. Also look to have a good prospect in QB Thomas, who was newcomer of the year as a freshman last year.:eek: :eek:

Sweetwater Red
08-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Straight from the...uh...Tornados mouth.:D

Lamesa has been down for several years, since the playoff team of 2001. Most people have given every reason imaginable. We turned in 489 for realignment and at the end of school we had 470 or so enrolled, we are losing people like alot of West Texas towns. We should be better this year on the football field. We have some great, hard working kids. We do have some talented athletes, a very small Senior Class (7 playing), good Junior class of 18-20, and tremendous Sophomore and Freshman classes that have been successful and each have 30+ playing. We expect good things to happen, we will just be young again this year but it's "experienced young". It's always tough for a community to go through a down cycle in terms of wins and losses. Our community support has been tremendous, we have built a new fieldhouse and we are adding a new scoreboard this year. And I would bet that the community will be expecting wins in the very near future, I hope they have that expectation. This will be my 3rd season here, and I can promise you the kids that have been here since 2001 didn't work any less hard than they did in the good years, if anything they've worked harder. Some people don't realize just how hard it is to win football games consistently year in and year out, especially in West Texas. I do know that every coach and every kid in Lamesa works their tail off, do things the right way, and expect to win every time we play. We believe we will see the "losing trend" stop this season, we have worked very hard to see that happen......the most important thing is, our kid's believe it. I am proud to be their coach....
God Bless the Golden Tornadoes for their commitment, effort, and desire.

Kent Torbert
Head Football Coach
Lamesa High School

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1080857#post1080857

navscanmaster
08-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Straight from the...uh...Tornados mouth.:D

Lamesa has been down for several years, since the playoff team of 2001. Most people have given every reason imaginable. We turned in 489 for realignment and at the end of school we had 470 or so enrolled, we are losing people like alot of West Texas towns. We should be better this year on the football field. We have some great, hard working kids. We do have some talented athletes, a very small Senior Class (7 playing), good Junior class of 18-20, and tremendous Sophomore and Freshman classes that have been successful and each have 30+ playing. We expect good things to happen, we will just be young again this year but it's "experienced young". It's always tough for a community to go through a down cycle in terms of wins and losses. Our community support has been tremendous, we have built a new fieldhouse and we are adding a new scoreboard this year. And I would bet that the community will be expecting wins in the very near future, I hope they have that expectation. This will be my 3rd season here, and I can promise you the kids that have been here since 2001 didn't work any less hard than they did in the good years, if anything they've worked harder. Some people don't realize just how hard it is to win football games consistently year in and year out, especially in West Texas. I do know that every coach and every kid in Lamesa works their tail off, do things the right way, and expect to win every time we play. We believe we will see the "losing trend" stop this season, we have worked very hard to see that happen......the most important thing is, our kid's believe it. I am proud to be their coach....
God Bless the Golden Tornadoes for their commitment, effort, and desire.

Kent Torbert
Head Football Coach
Lamesa High School

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1080857#post1080857

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Great piece, Sweetwater Red. My only memory of Lamesa is in the 1990 3A basketball state championship, when my Rattlers beat them to win their only state title in the big three sports. Seems that they are historically a strong force in West Texas sports. Maybe they will start to right the ship this year.

Matthew328
08-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Lamesa is still a year away