PDA

View Full Version : DFW Realignment Winners and Losers

Sweetwater Red
08-04-2008, 12:13 PM
http://hstexas.scout.com/2/725557.html

Every two years when the UIL realigns the districts, we always have a list of winners and losers. 2008 is no different and we take a look which teams won and lost Friday!

WINNERS

CLASS 5A

Abilene:It all starts with AHS, the Warbirds may be slightly disappointed to leave the Little Southwest Conference. However make no mistake the new 3-5A will provide much friendlier confines for Coach Warren’s squad. Gone are the likes of Midland, Midland Lee and Odessa Permian and enter Fort Worth Paschal, Weatherford and Burleson. Let the good times roll, Abilene despite being a little down after making the State Semi-Finals in 2007 will likely roll through this district.

NRH Richland:Coach Wier may have been a little disappointed that the Rebels missed out on Class 4A, but the next best thing is Richland in an easier 5A loop. RHS trades Southlake Carroll for Abilene which is basically a wash except for travel. However things are much easier after that as gone are Colleyville Heritage, Grapevine, Northwest and Keller and hello to Paschal, Weatherford, Burleson and North Crowley. Richland is at worst a third place team in this loop in an early look and I think they can fight for second.

Arlington ISD 5A:Arlington gets a win in two areas by picking up the two Mansfield schools. Although Summit and Mansfield High are very competitive and at times strong in many sports, they aren’t Duncanville, DeSoto and Cedar Hill. This means more playoff chances for AISD and their travel budgets will be slightly smaller as well. This is a win win in Arlington and they were very happy with how things worked out.

Richardson ISD 5A:Boy they have got to be elated over in Richardson after Friday’s announcement. RISD drops the Collin County giants and they pick up DISD and the lone Carrollton 5A in Creekview. Berkner and Lake Highlands were competitive in the old 9-5A and they both will be in the hunt for the 9-5A title with the remaining formidable DISD team in Skyline. However Richardson High may be the biggest winner, the Eagles who have taken their lumps as of late could go from the outhouse to the playoffs as they could be fighting with Creekview for that final playoff berth. Maybe this will revitalize things in Richardson.

CLASS 4A

Aledo:I think Coach Buchanan was being nice when he told me every district had tough teams. Show me the tough team in 6-4A!! Aledo loses dealing with Everman, Stephenville, and Crowley and instead takes on Birdville, Boswell and Springtown. Aledo might be down this year but their district scores won’t show that as they’ll have little trouble this year in this loop.

Sherman/Denison:The two Texoma 4A schools got a huge break on their travel bills by for once not being the stepchild and having to trek to Denton or Wichita Falls like they have for the past 4 seasons. The 9-4A is also on paper a much easier loop than 5-4A as none of the Frisco schools are traditional powers and McKinney ISD lost their only playoff team from 2007 to Class 5A. Gone are 2 ½ hour bus rides and hello to the longest trip being 45 minutes.

Dallas Carter::Finally the Cowboys drop to 4A and we’ll see what they can do. Carter has been a very solid 5A program for some time now and with the drop to 4A depth won’t be quite the issue it’s been for Coach Wilson’s squad as in the past. We won’t crown them regional champions just yet, but the deck at the least isn’t stacked against Carter for once.

Forney:Don’t underestimate Forney, the Jackrabbits made out like bandits on Friday!! Although they kept the Mesquite schools Forney losses Highland Park and Richardson Pearce along with avoiding Rockwall! It’s a win-win scenario for Forney as the new 15-4A is a hodgepodge of teams without homes. Gone is HP, Pearce and Rockwall and say hello to Lancaster, Mabank and Red Oak.

CLASS 3A

Paris and Paris North Lamar:Despite the location in NE Texas we’ll pair the two schools in Paris with DFW due to their district. Both schools go from being the little guy in 4A to the big boys on the block in 3A and one will even wind up going Division 2!!! They won’t have to deal with Mount Pleasant, Sulphur Springs or Texas High and instead take on Bonham, Anna, Commerce and Van Alstyne. Wow!

Alvarado:Besides the two Paris schools no one won more in DFW than Alvarado on Friday. The Indians go from the 8-4A frying pan of Aledo, Stephenville and Everman and into a much cozier loop with Kennedale, fellow Johnson County school Venus and Highway 175 schools Crandall, Kaufman and we’ll throw Ferris in for good measure. Alvarado who was competitive for the most part in brutal 4A districts will make a mark in 3A.

Farmersville:Farmersville despite the move to 3A avoided potentially tougher districts with Celina in 9-3A and the two Paris schools in 10-3A. Farmersville shares 13-3A with perennial doormats Princeton and Nevada Community along with new school Lovejoy. Quinlan Ford and Emory Rains will be the only two teams capable of putting up a fight against the defending 2A Division 1 State Champions.

LOSERS

CLASS 5A

Fort Worth Paschal:I didn’t see a scenario where Paschal could be a winner except for a miracle drop down to 4A. But the game against Abilene will be such a colossal mismatch it won’t be funny. Can a team petition down a class??

Coppell:Things didn’t get any easier for Coach Shipley’s crew Friday. After spending two years with Lewisville and Carrollton Farmers Branch, the Cowboys stay with the very tough LISD 5A schools which is no picnic but they also pick up long time rival Southlake Carroll who has totally dominated the series as of late. Coppell could be fighting to stay out of the cellar in this revamped alignment.

Irving ISD:The Irving schools did stay with Grand Prairie which is usually a good matchup in all sports, they’ll now head south to take on Duncanville and Cedar Hill. This will not only be tough in football but in all other sports for Irving as both Duncanville and Cedar Hill boast strong teams across the board and will present major problems for Irving. Not to mention on the football field also!

Dallas Jesuit:Yes, the Rangers are happy to be in the UIL but wow getting paired with Plano ISD and Allen!! The UIL did them no favors as far as traveling or on the football field as the Plano-Allen-Wylie loop is one of the toughest in the state.

CLASS 4A

The Colony:This may be a bit of a reach but we’ll go with it. The Cougars lose playing Frisco and the McKinney schools but they pick up Denton Ryan and the two Wichita Falls schools and they still have to deal with two other solid programs close to home in Little Elm and Lake Dallas. Travel will also be a factor now as it’s a pretty good haul from The Colony over to Wichita Falls. I think TCHS can compete for fourth place in this alignment but 5-4A is top heavy. If TCHS stayed with Frisco and McKinney I’d consider them a lock for the playoffs in 2008 but it’ll be tougher now.

Fort Worth ISD:Not only did the FWISD not get two 4A districts but the coaches also got a raw deal as well. Apparently after the alignment was announced there was a meeting at the FWISD table and the FWISD coaches in 4A wanted the district to be aligned much like the 2-5A 10 team district playing 9 district games on a round robin format. However the administration over ruled the coaches and went back to status quo.

Crowley:Crowley thought they’d be losing both Stephenville and Aledo and maybe just pick up Mansfield Timberview. Well Crowley did pick up Timberview and as expected they stayed with Everman. Crowley though also kept Stephenville and they traded Cleburne for Arlington Seguin. Ouch!

Royse City:A candidate for biggest loser is Royse City. We all thought the Bulldogs would move up to 4A, but man they got placed in a BRUTAL district!!!! Royse City goes from playing schools like Commerce and Emory Rains with only 600 students at most, to now playing schools with over 2000 students in Highland Park, Rockwall, and Richardson Pearce!!! I think RCHS had their shot this year and blew it.

Cleburne:Cleburne is right with Royse City as getting the biggest bit of bad news today. Cleburne did lose Everman, Aledo and Stephenville but the Yellow Jackets add Waxahachie, Ennis, Corsicana, Waco and Waco Midway. 16-4A is a bit deeper top to bottom than the old 8-4A and the travel is a lot worse. It is a long ride from Cleburne to Corsicana!!!

No Class 3A losers, seems like the UIL did an OK job except for the bye districts!

Matthew328
08-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Man Sweetwater I am loving all the content you are throwing up!

crzyjournalist03
08-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Good to hear something positive about Forney for probably the first time since 04.

Emerson1
08-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Good to hear something positive about Forney for probably the first time since 04.
We might win 4 games this year!

Sweetwater Red
08-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

I know it's quite surprising. I watched them play last year and
they were Slooooooooooowwww and all they
had was the QB.:devil:

jason
08-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I know it's quite surprising. I watched them play last year and
they were Slooooooooooowwww and all they
had was the QB.:devil: their running back was (i think) the leading rusher in the district and one of the top in the state in 4a...their qb wasnt good....

Sweetwater Red
08-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by jason
their running back was (i think) the leading rusher in the district and one of the top in the state in 4a...their qb wasnt good....

I didn't see them play last year I was duplicating what a poster
said when refering to the Sweetwater/Bridgeport game. :thinking:

Emerson1
08-05-2008, 02:11 PM
I didn't see them play last year I was duplicating what a poster
said when refering to the Sweetwater/Bridgeport game. :thinking:
At least I can accept the fact unlike some people.

Emerson1
08-05-2008, 02:12 PM
their running back was (i think) the leading rusher in the district and one of the top in the state in 4a...their qb wasnt good....
Quit acting like you know what you are talking about

Sweetwater Red
08-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
At least I can accept the fact unlike some people.

That was you? I thought it was Jason.:confused:

Emerson1
08-05-2008, 02:27 PM
That was you? I thought it was Jason.:confused:
It was both of us

jason
08-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Quit acting like you know what you are talking about i was right though, wasn't i ??

Emerson1
08-05-2008, 02:37 PM
i was right though, wasn't i ??
No, he was 2nd in the district.

He only had 1500 yards