PDA

View Full Version : Say something nice for this woman please

JR2004
08-04-2008, 07:29 AM
I think this lady merits a good thought or two from some folks. Her name is Doris Witherspoon and I'm friends with her husband Don and one of their three sons named Doak. Some of the older folks on this board might possibly know him as he coached football in Texas for 35 years (Places like Sweetwater, Snyder, West Orange, BC, Brownwood among many others). I've got many stories to tell about him from his playing and coaching career that he has shared with me, but I'll save that for another day and thread.

His wife has liver cancer and it's terminal. I went to see her Saturday afternoon up at the hospital in Carrollton and so far she's done far better than the doctors thought she would. She was supposed to make it 6-10 days when she was diagnosed, but she's made it now 27 days and counting. She's such a nice lady. Even though you can tell she is in a great deal of pain she doesn't complain at all and when I saw her she was more interested in talking about teaching and football than anything else. She taught for well over three decades I believe.

Pretty funny story to tell you a bit about what kind of woman she is. Her husband and I are sitting there talking and he brought up Hebron (It's the school they've supported since it opened because they're granddaughter went there.) and how their football team will do this year. The first thing she says is "Do you think we can beat Southlake this year?" Just amazing that a woman who is nearing the end would still wants to know how well her team is going to do even if she won't be around to watch.

Anyhow please say a good word or two on her behalf and hopefully the time she has left will be painless and joyous for her.

DaHop72
08-04-2008, 08:03 AM
I knew the Witherspoons when they were in Snyder, she is your ultimate sports mom who "lived" in a locker room her entire life with Don and the boys.

JR2004
08-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
I knew the Witherspoons when they were in Snyder, she is your ultimate sports mom who "lived" in a locker room her entire life with Don and the boys.

She loves sports, especially football. Mr. Witherspoon told me that they used to go out and scout teams together when he was coaching. He said sometimes he would also send her out to do it on her own because she knew how to write a report up as good as the coaches on the staff.

Mr. Witherspoon told me that if she makes it to August 6th that it'll have been 58 years of marriage for them. That's pretty special to be able to be with someone for that long. He said they've known each other since they were 5 years old when they grew up together out in Roscoe.

pirate4state
08-04-2008, 03:42 PM
She sounds like a great woman and it sounds like she has lived a great life. I hope what time she has left is peaceful for her, her family & friends.

Death is hard no matter how it comes, but there is something special about when you have time to say goodbye.

If that makes sense.

GreenMonster
08-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Prayers from Iowa Park.

bigwood33
08-04-2008, 03:47 PM
When were they in Brownwood? My wife is a graduate, class of '82.

STANG RED
08-04-2008, 03:57 PM
I know I've heard their names on occasion, but dont think I ever meet them that I can recall.
Prayers from Sweetwater for what sounds like a fine lady and family.

DaHop72
08-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I know I've heard their names on occasion, but dont think I ever meet them that I can recall.
Prayers from Sweetwater for what sounds like a fine lady and family. Red, I would have to check but you may have played against Doak or Dane.

LH Panther Mom
08-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Prayers from LH.

shankbear
08-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Coach Witherspoon was one of my coaches at West Orange when we were the Chiefs. Best wishes and all our prayers going out.

kepdawg
01-07-2009, 11:53 PM
I by complete coincidence ran across this thread while looking at some old stuff and thought I'd bump it.

For those who missed JR's post (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91197), she passed away.