PDA

View Full Version : Tropical Storm Edouard

HEMOTOXIC
08-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Looks like Edouard will bring much needed rain to Houston and SE Texas, we hope! Some forecasters believe that it may become a hurricane by Tuesday.

piratebg
08-03-2008, 06:00 PM
It's been a pretty quiet hurricane season for the most part. I heard that these are actually remnants of Dolly? Anyone else here the same.

IHS Fan
08-03-2008, 06:16 PM
i heard that on channel 10 last night.

HEMOTOXIC
08-03-2008, 06:27 PM
WOW, Dolly doesn't want to let go. Reminds me of a "little lady" by the name of Tropical Storm Allison.

Necks_Fan
08-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Projected to come in 12 Miles N of my house. Alright. We're getting a direct hit.

:(

raider red 2000
08-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Projected to come in 12 Miles N of my house. Alright. We're getting a direct hit.

:(

where did you see that????

Necks_Fan
08-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
where did you see that???? I was watching 13 News and they said it was coming in just south of Galveston (San Luis Pass----- Best prediction) and that is roughly 12 miles N of my house.

NHSBulldog75
08-03-2008, 07:31 PM
you dont live 12 mi out in the gulf!!

Necks_Fan
08-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by NHSBulldog75
you dont live 12 mi out in the gulf!! My mom lives in Freeport and that's where I'm staying right now.

Bull Butter
08-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by IHS Fan
i heard that on channel 10 last night.

Consider the source.

I know Channel 10 is not as bad as they used to be in the Walter Furley days, but I still have a hard time believing this, since the remnants of Dolly were in New Mexico a few days ago:confused:

Bull Butter
08-03-2008, 08:48 PM
On a historical note, today is the 38 year anniversary of Hurricane Celia, the most destructive hurricane to ever hit the Corpus Christi area.

Some might say the hurricane of 1919 was worse, but I wasn't around back then. However, I think Phil was:D

HEMOTOXIC
08-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Harris County and SE TX now under Hurricane Watch.

shankbear
08-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Let's guess where it makes landfall. I say High Island.

HEMOTOXIC
08-03-2008, 10:35 PM
lol, Im going with Galveston.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Regardless of where it hits, the area will be getting some much needed rain. Although for the people on the coast, if it reaches hurricane status (people in Port Isabel were only expecting Cat 1 and they got Cat 2) they should head inland just in case.

44INAROW
08-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Projected path (as of 8/4/08 am) (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT05/refresh/AL0508W+gif/203113W_sm.gif)

bring on the rain..........(just don't bring the high winds, tornados and hail)

footballgal
08-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Whatever you do just PREPARE - don't put yourselves in a predicament.

All be safe!

SWMustang
08-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
Whatever you do just PREPARE - don't put yourselves in a predicament.

All be safe!

your avatar kinda looks naughty

Buckeye1980
08-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Years ago, Hurricane Carla maintained its eye all the way up to Italy, Texas, and it just sat there on top of the DFW area and rained itself out. DFW got around 17 inches of rain over the course of a month. Hope that happens again soon.

Hmmm....Carla, do not remeber her but a VERY important part of my life...September 1961, if I were a girl, I would have been named Carla..... I was born 9-11-1961

Hurricane Carla

September 9-12, 1961

The most powerful tropical system to affect the Texas coast in over 40 years?Hurricane Carla made landfall between Port O?Connor and Port Lavaca on the day of September 11, 1961. In the open waters of the Gulf, a minimum central pressure of 931mb, or 27.50 inches along with maximum sustained wind speeds over 150 mph, made Carla a category 5 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson scale of hurricane intensity. When the "eye" or center of Hurricane Carla made landfall early in the morning of the 11th, the intensity had dropped off but the storm was still packing winds of 120 mph in areas from Port O?Connor up the coast to Galveston. The "eye" of the storm came within 65 miles to the east of Corpus Christi.

Hurricane warnings were issued along the entire Texas coast on the 9th prompting immediate evacuation of all islands just offshore and low coastal areas. The wind, not the rain, became the major weather factor for the Coastal Bend area. Preliminary wind reports from locations hit hardest by Carla indicated sustained wind speeds of 115 mph in Matagorda?110 mph in Victoria?and 88 mph in Galveston. Peak wind gusts were estimated at 150 mph in Victoria and 170 mph at Port Lavaca! Average wind gusts of 80 to 90 mph were reported across Corpus Christi, with a peak wind of 81 mph recorded at the tower of the Weather Bureau Office, before failure of the instrument.

Rainfall amounts were heaviest from Port Lavaca up the coast to Galveston and within 50 miles inland, ranging from 10 to 16 inches in some spots. Galveston Airport recorded 16.49" of rain in a four-day period. Closer to home, at the airport in Corpus Christi, a relatively light 1.22" fell, but downtown Corpus had 5.15". Victoria recorded a notable 6.25" of rain.

Lowest central pressure recorded at the Corpus airport was 28.88" and at the navy base, 28.73". As the center of the storm passed over Port Lavaca, a calibrated barometer positioned at a dredging company recorded the lowest pressure anywhere on land, with 27.62" before the needle dipped below the reported scale.

With the intense wind, storm surge became a major problem. In some areas from Port Aransas to Sabine Pass, tides were 10 feet above normal?the highest levels since the storm of 1919. One report out of Port Lavaca had a tide level 18.5 feet above normal. The above normal tides produced extensive beach and inland damage to houses and businesses. Over the Corpus Christi area, most of the damage was to roofs, power and telephone lines, trees, and signs. One exception, were low-lying areas, which became flooded from heavy rain and caused more extensive damage. Estimated damage costs exceeded $300 million in Texas, with property losses being the primary contributor. In Nueces County alone, over $12 million in damage was reported from a combination of property damage and severe crop losses.

When it was all said and done, 43 people lost their lives to Hurricane Carla?31 known in the state of Texas.

Hurricane Carla made landfall between Port O?Connor and Port Lavaca on the day of September 11, 1961.

carter08
08-04-2008, 11:07 AM
i'm gonna go get gas later. then just chill with friends. the come home, sleep through the hurricane, wake up, and do more useless stuff

Maroon87
08-04-2008, 11:26 AM
I'm ready for a good rain, just hoping for no wind damage. Gonna get $$$ and gas at lunch and hunker down tonight.:cool:

NHSBulldog75
08-04-2008, 12:02 PM
At least Carter's ambition remains on its usual constant level!!

waterboy
08-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Good thing I picked this past weekend to go to Galveston, in between the Hurricane Dolly outerbands and the soon-to-be Hurricane Edouard. It was a nice break from the triple digit temperatures we've been seeing, too. It was in the low 90s with a good breeze down there over the weekend.:)

BuffyMars
08-04-2008, 12:09 PM
I wish he would blow some rain up to Forney! WE NEED IT!! Does anyone remember the last time we had rain in Forney? :confused:

IHStangFan
08-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Bought a generator today, along with batteries, oil for lanterns. Programmed up a couple of my radios on assorted emergency and information freqs, fueled up all of the vehicles, gas cans, etc. We're riding this one out!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
your avatar kinda looks naughty

Dude, it does, I just didn't want to be the only one to notice that and try to point it out...

IHStangFan
08-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Dude, it does, I just didn't want to be the only one to notice that and try to point it out... LOL...make that 3 of us....I see what you guys are talking about too.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
LOL...make that 3 of us....I see what you guys are talking about too.

I'm sure as a big picture it looks very innocent, but you have to really squint with it this size, and it doesn't look the least bit unless you do.

IHStangFan
08-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I'm sure as a big picture it looks very innocent, but you have to really squint with it this size, and it doesn't look the least bit unless you do. yeah...I didn't notice it until it was brought up, then I looked and said "dang, that does look a bit .......odd" LOL.

Antec
08-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Some folks down in Wharton County believe the eye will move over us

Still won't know either way until the morning

Antec
08-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Hurricane Carla really tore up up city of Matagorda and Sargent

Lot of businesss and beach houses were wiped out

We stayed in Plum, between Smithville and La Grange, with relatives

My grandfathers brother had a old saloon t here and we went there where folks were drinking beer and playing dominos

I was 7 years old and rememeber it well

Kinfolks house had a out house in the yard and used it

Had over 25 people spread out all over the house

Quite and experience as a kid

When we got home to Wharton County had a couple of trees knocked down but no damage to the house

My grandfathers grocery store in Hungerford survived well

Forgot how many days of schools we missed but had to make them up on Saturdays in the spring

SWMustang
08-04-2008, 09:03 PM
yeah...I didn't notice it until it was brought up, then I looked and said "dang, that does look a bit .......odd" LOL.

I thought I was the only pervert earlier - come to find out there are two others.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I thought I was the only pervert earlier - come to find out there are two others.

High five!

footballgal
08-04-2008, 09:39 PM
It's a Tarpon FISH. No joke, you guys are pervs lol. Here take a better look;

http://www.tarponfever.net/pics/2k8piYOT2mini.jpg

...dude, now I am going to have to change my avatar :(

IHStangFan
08-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
It's a Tarpon FISH. No joke, you guys are pervs lol. Here take a better look;

http://www.tarponfever.net/pics/2k8piYOT2mini.jpg

...dude, now I am going to have to change my avatar :( LOL...sorry fbg

carter08
Originally posted by NHSBulldog75
At least Carter's ambition remains on its usual constant level!!

yeah.

college starts the 25th, so i'm enjoying my last few weeks of being a lazy bum with no ambition.

shankbear
Look out Crystal Beach to Sabine Pass. At least that is what the weather guessers say.

Maroon87
08-04-2008, 11:14 PM
I'm gassed up, cashed up, batteried up, and watered up. Oh...and there's beer in the fridge too. I'm ready for Eddie.:cool:

IHStangFan
08-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I'm gassed up, cashed up, batteried up, and watered up. Oh...and there's beer in the fridge too. I'm ready for Eddie.:cool: LOL...."ready for Eddie" .....nice!

Necks_Fan
08-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Bunch of rain and wind so far.... Nothing really all that bad.....

Just seems like an overgrown thunderstorm....

Maroon87
08-05-2008, 12:11 PM
A whole lot of green on the radar, not much red and yellow.

It's been raining pretty steadily here for the last several hours and the winds are blowing about 20-25 mph. So far it looks like a band of thunderstorms with a name.

AP Panther Fan
08-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
A whole lot of green on the radar, not much red and yellow.

It's been raining pretty steadily here for the last several hours and the winds are blowing about 20-25 mph. So far it looks like a band of thunderstorms with a name.

Just think...if you break out the beer it won't even seem that bad. :D

Glad y'all are getting some rain...we sure could have used some.

IHStangFan
08-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Bunch of rain and wind so far.... Nothing really all that bad.....

Just seems like an overgrown thunderstorm.... heck, ya'll even got more than we did. Twice we got pretty heavy rain during the day, and it lasted all of 5 mins. each time. Other than that, it must rained lightly on and off. Didn't even get to try out my generator and we usually lose power on this side of 36 if someone spits around here.

pirate4state
08-06-2008, 02:17 AM
heck, ya'll even got more than we did. Twice we got pretty heavy rain during the day, and it lasted all of 5 mins. each time. Other than that, it must rained lightly on and off. Didn't even get to try out my generator and we usually lose power on this side of 36 if someone spits around here. dang, we got more rain than you did then, even lost power for about 5 seconds. :D LOL

IHStangFan
08-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
dang, we got more rain than you did then, even lost power for about 5 seconds. :D LOL yeah, it was rather pathetic in our neck of the woods.