PDA

View Full Version : Why drill for oil when we can inflate our tires?

Cameron Crazy
08-01-2008, 10:56 PM
The Barack Obama Energy Plan. Inflate your tires and get a tune up.

"There are things you can do individually, though, to save energy," Obama said. "Making sure your tires are properly inflated – simple thing. But we could save all the oil that they're talking about getting off drilling – if everybody was just inflating their tires? And getting regular tune-ups? You'd actually save just as much!"

Watch the video. When he says it, it sounds like even he doesn't believe it.
www.breitbart.tv/?p=142113

shankbear
08-01-2008, 11:05 PM
And the tires will wear out quicker. Oh, and the rubber is made from petroleum products so where will that come from?? This is like another brilliant guy saying we should just wear sweaters(to save money on heating during the Carter administration).

shankbear
08-01-2008, 11:26 PM
But politics sux.

GreenMonster
08-01-2008, 11:56 PM
I know it sucks, but lowering the national speed limit to 55 and strong arming the auto makers into making vehicles that get better mileage is the first step that should be taken. The next step is to subsidize the building of about 25 to 50 new refineries around the country to increase the supply of gasoline and take some of the importance off of the Gulf refineries that got this whole ball rolling to begin with. Much, if not most, of our current problem has little to do with how much oil is being produced, but rather how much oil we are capable of refining into gasoline and other fuels. Investors have been viewing the shortages in gasoline and in their mind they see it as a shortage of crude oil. This really isn't the case. All of this started following a Gulf coast hurricane that knocked several major refineries off line. That hurricane was followed by Katrina that knocked them all off line again. With the lack of these major refiners cranking out their quota of gasoline over a 2 to 3 month period due to the necessary repairs taking time to complete our supplies became short. Most of our country's refineries are located along the Gulf coast, thus leaving us vulnerable to the wrath of mother nature. Furthermore, there has not been a new refinery open in the United States since 1982. In the 26 years since that last refinery opened there have been somewhere around 2500 refineries close here in the US. EPA requirements and quite simply the high costs of building and operating new refineries inside the borders of the US have effectively put a halt on any and all new refinery plans here. I think that if the government would step up to the plate and subsidize 25 to 50 new major refineries located near other sea ports around the country would add to the overall refining capacity (increased supply) and move all of the focus off of the gulf coast refineries and spreading the refining capacity over a much wider area (reduced risk) with less chance of having insurmountable damage to the supply chain. Another step that I feel our government should step in and take is to require the refineries to make the cleaner burning "summer gasoline" year round. Refineries have 2 different mixes for gasoline, a summer one that burns cleaner to cut down on smog, and a winter version that is not as refined and costs less to produce. The problem with this is that each refinery has to shut down for a week or two in order to make the necessary changes that differetiate between the two mixes. In that week or two multiplied by every refinery in the country the oil companies are manufacturing a shortage in supply that allows them to get better prices from the stock market for a fuel that costs them less to produce enabling them to line their pockets further. There is no reason for Exxon Mobile to continually set new all time records for profits at each and every quarter of the year for the last 4 years. That could all be prevented with a little bit of legislation. Unfortunately we have a Pro-Oil leadership in our government. No, Bush didn't cause the hurricanes that set this thing off, but he hasn't done anything to slow it down or anything to assure that it will never happen again either. Sure, prices are finally dropping. This is due to OPEC making large increases in production. Unnecessary increases that are all for show to get the speculators and investors off of their "we're running out of oil!" stage that they've been in and back on track. Watch though, when gas reaches the $3 range it will stop dropping because OPEC will go back to old production levels shutting down the glut of crude oil on the open market. The only real change that actually made any difference whatsoever in the price of gas was that the refineries finally got caught up and refilled the national gasoline supplies to pre-natural disaster levels. The only problem is that the oil companies are still laughing all the way to the bank because they managed to double the long term price of gasoline over a 5 year period without having to spend any extra money on oil production. All the new jobs will slow and the oil patch will go back to being a dust bowl as the price of oil drops back down under $100 a barrel over the next 5 years and we the people will still be paying $3 a gallon for gasoline for the next 20 years until they come up with some new scheme to milk us out of our hard earned money.

shankbear
08-02-2008, 07:27 AM
And now the tire inflator guy has done a back flip and says he will support new offshore drilling. All of this dude's flipping and flopping is about to make my head explode. Pick a lie and stick with it.

He also wants to give a check out like the previous stimulus checks. This time it's for energy. He wants the oil companies to pay for it. I bet they jump right on that and will be so nice as to NOT pass the cost along. Another naive knee jerk act of pandering by tire inflator dude.

Necks_Fan
08-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I know it sucks, but lowering the national speed limit to 55 and strong arming the auto makers into making vehicles that get better mileage is the first step that should be taken. The next step is to subsidize the building of about 25 to 50 new refineries around the country to increase the supply of gasoline and take some of the importance off of the Gulf refineries that got this whole ball rolling to begin with. Much, if not most, of our current problem has little to do with how much oil is being produced, but rather how much oil we are capable of refining into gasoline and other fuels. Investors have been viewing the shortages in gasoline and in their mind they see it as a shortage of crude oil. This really isn't the case. All of this started following a Gulf coast hurricane that knocked several major refineries off line. That hurricane was followed by Katrina that knocked them all off line again. With the lack of these major refiners cranking out their quota of gasoline over a 2 to 3 month period due to the necessary repairs taking time to complete our supplies became short. Most of our country's refineries are located along the Gulf coast, thus leaving us vulnerable to the wrath of mother nature. Furthermore, there has not been a new refinery open in the United States since 1982. In the 26 years since that last refinery opened there have been somewhere around 2500 refineries close here in the US. EPA requirements and quite simply the high costs of building and operating new refineries inside the borders of the US have effectively put a halt on any and all new refinery plans here. I think that if the government would step up to the plate and subsidize 25 to 50 new major refineries located near other sea ports around the country would add to the overall refining capacity (increased supply) and move all of the focus off of the gulf coast refineries and spreading the refining capacity over a much wider area (reduced risk) with less chance of having insurmountable damage to the supply chain. Another step that I feel our government should step in and take is to require the refineries to make the cleaner burning "summer gasoline" year round. Refineries have 2 different mixes for gasoline, a summer one that burns cleaner to cut down on smog, and a winter version that is not as refined and costs less to produce. The problem with this is that each refinery has to shut down for a week or two in order to make the necessary changes that differetiate between the two mixes. In that week or two multiplied by every refinery in the country the oil companies are manufacturing a shortage in supply that allows them to get better prices from the stock market for a fuel that costs them less to produce enabling them to line their pockets further. There is no reason for Exxon Mobile to continually set new all time records for profits at each and every quarter of the year for the last 4 years. That could all be prevented with a little bit of legislation. Unfortunately we have a Pro-Oil leadership in our government. No, Bush didn't cause the hurricanes that set this thing off, but he hasn't done anything to slow it down or anything to assure that it will never happen again either. Sure, prices are finally dropping. This is due to OPEC making large increases in production. Unnecessary increases that are all for show to get the speculators and investors off of their "we're running out of oil!" stage that they've been in and back on track. Watch though, when gas reaches the $3 range it will stop dropping because OPEC will go back to old production levels shutting down the glut of crude oil on the open market. The only real change that actually made any difference whatsoever in the price of gas was that the refineries finally got caught up and refilled the national gasoline supplies to pre-natural disaster levels. The only problem is that the oil companies are still laughing all the way to the bank because they managed to double the long term price of gasoline over a 5 year period without having to spend any extra money on oil production. All the new jobs will slow and the oil patch will go back to being a dust bowl as the price of oil drops back down under $100 a barrel over the next 5 years and we the people will still be paying $3 a gallon for gasoline for the next 20 years until they come up with some new scheme to milk us out of our hard earned money. That's one LONG a$$ paragraph that I don't feel like reading, but in response to the very first sentence.

People that drive fast, are going to drive fast no matter the speed limit.

As far as I can see, the people that drive really fast and don't already get tuneups, etc should be punched when they bitch about gas prices anyway.

That's like punching yourself in the face and wondering why you have a bruise. It's stupid.

Pudlugger
08-02-2008, 09:00 AM
I remember the national 55 mph limit when Carter was President. I used to drive I 10 between Los Angeles and Indio frequently and when I drove 55 it was really scary how other drivers would run up from behind flashing lights and almost touching your rear bumper then pull around you almost cutting you off all the time giving the California Howdy do sign LOL. I also remember Carter's sweaters and turning the thermostat to 68 in Winter. Please don't take me back to these days.

Necks_Fan
08-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
I remember the national 55 mph limit when Carter was President. I used to drive I 10 between Los Angeles and Indio frequently and when I drove 55 it was really scary how other drivers would run up from behind flashing lights and almost touching your rear bumper then pull around you almost cutting you off all the time giving the California Howdy do sign LOL. I also remember Carter's sweaters and turning the thermostat to 68 in Winter. Please don't take me back to these days. Do you remember BILLY Beer?

Lol.

STANG RED
08-02-2008, 12:35 PM
I hope I never hear another Obama supporting moron say another word about how dumb they think W is, because this takes the cake for all time stupid comments made by a politician.
The more I hear this guy speak, the bigger fool he proves to be. I just hope enough of the rest of America is paying attention.
Sadly though, McCain is only a slightly better choice, and he better pick a great running mate, because I seriously doubt he'll live to see the end of his term if elected. The presidency ages a man 2 to 3 years for every year in office at least, and McCain is already too old for job IMO. Even so, he's the best choice we have now. I just hope he picks a good running mate. Romney would be good, but I dont know that he helps the ticket enough, or at all.
Wouldnt it be nice to have a good choice for the most important job in the world for a change? I sure hope to see it happen some day.

Sweetwater Red
08-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I hope I never hear another Obama supporting moron say another word about how dumb they think W is, because this takes the cake for all time stupid comments made by a politician.
The more I hear this guy speak, the bigger fool he proves to be. I just hope enough of the rest of America is paying attention.
Sadly though, McCain is only a slightly better choice, and he better pick a great running mate, because I seriously doubt he'll live to see the end of his term if elected. The presidency ages a man 2 to 3 years for every year in office at least, and McCain is already too old for job IMO. Even so, he's the best choice we have now. I just hope he picks a good running mate. Romney would be good, but I dont know that he helps the ticket enough, or at all.
Wouldnt it be nice to have a good choice for the most important job in the world for a change? I sure hope to see it happen some day.

You mean like basing your decision on which candidate is most
qualified rather than which one is least incompetent?

It seems that most elections in my lifetime have been the latter.:(

Necks_Fan
08-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Wouldnt it be nice to have a good choice for the most important job in the world for a change? I sure hope to see it happen some day. I agree. IU don't want to get in trouble for talking about politics, but Obama is stupid and McCain is just slightly less stupid.

The only thing McCain has going for him is he's not AS stupid as Obama and he has a hot wife.

Lol.:D

EDIT: I wisah I was old enough to vote....... but then again, that would open the flood gate for all the morons my age.