PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Roosevelt problems continue...

kaorder1999
08-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Ineligible player costs Roosevelt High three games, title

04:43 PM CDT on Friday, August 1, 2008

WFAA-TV staff reports

Roosevelt High School will forfeit three games due to an ineligible player.

This in turn means it will cost them the district football title from this past season.

That means Madison High School becomes the new district champion.

This follows several News 8 investigations in grade change irregularities at Roosevelt High School and South Oak Cliff High School.

South Oak cliff had to forfeit its state basketball championship from 2006.

Matthew328
08-01-2008, 05:22 PM
I think the UIL just needs to step in and start making schools ineligible for the playoffs, this is ridiculous. And if the district doesn't clean it up just put the entire DISD Athletic Department on probabtion.

bigwood33
08-01-2008, 05:27 PM
You can't unring a bell. Roosevelt may have to forfeit 3 games but the kids that stayed home because of their cheating will never get a chance to play those playoff games. If a team is caught cheating, they should not be eligible for the playoffs the next year.

kaorder1999
08-01-2008, 05:38 PM
id like to know if it were McNeil or someone else?

kaorder1999
08-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I think the UIL just needs to step in and start making schools ineligible for the playoffs, this is ridiculous. And if the district doesn't clean it up just put the entire DISD Athletic Department on probabtion.

or stop allowing the District to hire JH coaches as HS Head Coaches and Campus Coordinators...

3afan
08-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
..... At least two current 4a head coaches in DISD have never previously coached at the varsity level.

that in itself is not all that unusual

Astrosdawg07
08-01-2008, 06:48 PM
A freakin' men! Hiring practices in DISD are a joke. At least two current 4a head coaches in DISD have never previously coached at the varsity level.

They gotta start somewhere at the Varsity level.

c-town_balla
08-01-2008, 06:55 PM
most guys start at 1 or 2a schools....not 4a or 5a

3afan
08-01-2008, 07:44 PM

kaorder1999
08-01-2008, 08:12 PM
I know the Roosevelt head coach was hired from a JH in Dallas. The A. Maceo Smith head coach was hired from a JH in Dallas. The new Sunset head coach was hired from a JH in dallas but at least he had previous head football experience. Who else Ernest T?

kaorder1999
08-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Daniels was a JH guy too? Jesus H. and a chicken basket! I knew about Barnett and DeSantiago at TJ. That makes 3!
I also heard about this one slap over at Adamson....

Wasnt Desantiago the DC at Springtown at one time?

kaorder1999
08-01-2008, 09:19 PM
nah....he was his DC at Lincoln. It's the same Desantiago. He was the DC at Springtown and was an assistant at North. I just looked in the Media guide.

trojan37
08-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
You can't unring a bell. Roosevelt may have to forfeit 3 games but the kids that stayed home because of their cheating will never get a chance to play those playoff games. If a team is caught cheating, they should not be eligible for the playoffs the next year.

That's what I say. They just now catch them and want to take away the district title from last year? Who cares. Punish them for this year. No playoffs- plain and simple.

fbjm
08-01-2008, 10:09 PM
What 3 games did they have to forfeit?

JR2004
08-01-2008, 10:24 PM
That's right folks...We're now the 3 time defending district champions at Madison! I'll take it anyway we can get it...lol. I think that also restores our district winning streak back to 14 in a row now if one of the forfeits is to us. :)

JR2004
08-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
or stop allowing the District to hire JH coaches as HS Head Coaches and Campus Coordinators...

I just had this argument with a friend of mine who coaches BBall in DISD. I don't like the practice at all. I think it's ridiculous how they reward folks with jobs they often don't deserve.

JR2004
08-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
That's what I say. They just now catch them and want to take away the district title from last year? Who cares. Punish them for this year. No playoffs- plain and simple.

I care because they're in our district and that gives us another district title. We don't have much to cheer about football-wise at Madison so we'll take a district championship when we can get one.

trojan37
08-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
I care because they're in our district and that gives us another district title. We don't have much to cheer about football-wise at Madison so we'll take a district championship when we can get one.

That's not what I'm saying. They are being punished after the fact. Impose an infraction on them the next season when it really hurts. I understand what you're saying and I have no problem with that, but don't just get them for something that is said and done, make them pay for it down the road.

JR2004
08-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
That's not what I'm saying. They are being punished after the fact. Impose an infraction on them the next season when it really hurts. I understand what you're saying and I have no problem with that, but don't just get them for something that is said and done, make them pay for it down the road.

No sense making this year's team pay for it. If they want to make some coaches pay for it go ahead, but not the team.

LH Panther Mom
08-01-2008, 10:43 PM
No sense making this year's team pay for it. If they want to make some coaches pay for it go ahead, but not the team. It happens to college teams all the time. :thinking:

JR2004
08-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by fbjm
What 3 games did they have to forfeit?

One of them apparently was to us (Madison)...

EDIT: The forfeits were against us, Diamond Hill-Jarvis and Castleberry according to WFAA. Jeff Johnson (DISD AD) also requested Madison be named the district champions so apparently that forfeit does keep our district winning streak intact at 14.

JR2004
08-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Daniels was a JH guy too?

He sure was. It came down to him and our DC at Madison when he got the job. He got it because he had more folks in Velt's administration who wanted him to be the head coach despite the qualifications of Madison's DC for the position.

I actually know a guy who played for Daniels at the junior high level years ago and I mentioned that he was the head coach at Velt. He just about died laughing when I informed him that he went from junior high straight to a HS head coaching position.

Matthew328
08-02-2008, 10:35 AM
People have got to start being held accountable at DISD, why hasn't SOC's coach been punished? What about this time?

It just chaps my arse to see this continuing.

kaorder1999
08-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Roosevelt to forfeit 3 11-3A wins from '07 for using ineligible player

01:54 AM CDT on Saturday, August 2, 2008

By DAVID HINOJOSA and DAMON L. SAYLES / The Dallas Morning News
dhinojosa@dallasnews.com and dsayles@dallasnews.com

Roosevelt will forfeit three District 11-3A football games from last season because it used an ineligible player, Dallas ISD athletic director Jeff Johnson said Friday. Roosevelt, which went 5-0 in district play, will relinquish victories against Fort Worth Castleberry, Fort Worth Diamond-Hill Jarvis and Madison.

The forfeits follow an investigation by the DISD's Office of Professional Responsibility, which determined an athlete's grade was changed to maintain his eligibility, Johnson said.

Johnson said the athlete was eligible for Roosevelt's final district game and three playoff games that followed. Johnson said he has notified the University Interscholastic League of the findings Friday. He requested Madison be declared the district champion.

Johnson said that there was no evidence of wrongdoing by Roosevelt's coaches, and none have been disciplined. Roosevelt coach Joseph Daniels did not return a call to his mobile phone Friday.

Roosevelt finished 11-2. Because of the forfeits, it will drop to 8-5 and 2-3 in district. Johnson is unclear how the findings would affect Roosevelt's two playoff victories because the forfeits would have dropped Roosevelt to fourth place in the district – out of the playoffs. The UIL office was closed late Friday afternoon when it was contacted by The News.

kaorder1999
08-02-2008, 03:08 PM
People have got to start being held accountable at DISD, why hasn't SOC's coach been punished? What about this time?

It just chaps my arse to see this continuing.

i agree. I just hate it when the kids and coaches are punished for the dumb A things the principal or admin does. From what Ive been told this is the main reason the Principal at Roosevelt was sent packing this past Spring.

kaorder1999
08-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Teacher says DISD's Roosevelt decision does not go far enough

02:17 PM CDT on Saturday, August 2, 2008

By MONIKA DIAZ / WFAA-TV

The teacher who reluctantly told us about the grade changes at Roosevelt High School has talked again to News 8.

He's not satisfied with DISD's decision.

Roosevelt High School's football team is being forced to forfeit three of its games because of an ineligible player.

It's a grade-changing story News 8 told you about two months ago.

Those forfeitures will likely cost Roosevelt its district championship.

Teacher Stephan Wilson wants more done.

The student concerned, Vincent McNeil, wasn't just a quarterback for his Roosevelt football team last season.

He was the scoring machine who both rushed and passed his team into the state playoffs.

But one of his teachers says McNeil probably shouldn't have been on the team because he wasn't going to class.

Wilson says DISD's decision, Friday, doesn't go far enough.

"I didn't see any punishment for those who perpetrated the scandal and those individuals to my knowledge are still working today," he said.

Wilson says McNeil was about to be declared ineligible for football when he was approached with a grade change form.

Wilson wants DISD to play by its own rules.

"I still think they should enforce, no pass, no play policy, to ensure that this doesn't happen again," he said.

The district championship would have gone to Madison High School.

Madison's coach says he would have preferred victory on the field.

"They beat us and regardless what happened they beat us. I give them credit for that," said Ronald Johnson, Madison football head coach.

It's up to the UIL to actually take the championship away from Roosevelt but it has already done this in the past.

South Oak Cliff's basketball title was stripped after another News 8 investigation on similar grade-changing allegations.

E-mail mdiaz@wfaa.com.

STANG RED
08-02-2008, 03:38 PM

So your answer would be to punish a bunch of 16 / 17 year old boys for decisions they had nothing to do with?:confused:
Sure glad your not making the decisions!

They should go after the adults that made these decisions, and knowingly violated the rules, and strip them of their credentials.
Thats what they do to Doctors, Lawyers, and other professionals that think the rules dont apply to them.

kaorder1999
08-02-2008, 03:43 PM
yes...punish the adults involved, not the kids. Administrators, coaches, etc...

garciap77
08-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
So your answer would be to punish a bunch of 16 / 17 year old boys for decisions they had nothing to do with?:confused:

They should go after the adults that made these decisions, and knowingly violated the rules, and strip them of their credentials.
Thats what they do to Doctors, Lawyers, and other professionals that think the rules dont apply to them. :iagree:

Matthew328
08-02-2008, 06:37 PM
People simply need to be held accountable for the actions, start firing coaches, move up to Athletic Coordinators, prinicipals. If that doesn't work start moving up to the athletic director. It needs to stop if it doesn't work at that level then probations on the schools and then maybe the entire district should be levied. Only then will people in DISD wake up and get the dishonest people out of positions of authority

kaorder1999
08-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Honestly, I dont think the AD should ever be punished for anything that a head football coach does. The campus principals have ALL SAY SO when it comes to hiring the head football coach/campus coordinator. The Superintendent has given the campus Principals that power. Jeff Johnson has NO SAY SO WHATSOEVER to who's hired. Sad...

Phil C
08-02-2008, 07:44 PM
The UIL is sure picking on Dallas schools lately.

3afan
08-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
The UIL is sure picking on Dallas schools lately.

:doh:

lostaussie
08-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
:doh: i was thinking the same thing.............isn't this an internal district ruling................i don't think the uil has anything to do with it at this point.

bigwood33
08-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED

Thats what they do to Doctors, Lawyers, and other professionals that think the rules dont apply to them.

Yes it would be. The UIL has no authority to punish a coach or administrator in this situation and the only way for them to discourage future cheating is to make it painful. It is a shame that the kids get punished and I am open to your suggestions. Remember, the UIL has very limited authority and NONE when it comes to holding coaches and or administrators responsible. Taking away a trophy and changing a record is no deterrent against future cheating, maybe staying home would be.

kaorder1999
08-03-2008, 11:27 AM
coaches have been suspended by the uil. I have red it numerous times in the leaguer before. It's a publication of the uil.

Txbroadcaster
08-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Yes it would be. The UIL has no authority to punish a coach or administrator in this situation and the only way for them to discourage future cheating is to make it painful..

Not true...The UIL can suspend coaches

Matthew328
08-03-2008, 03:01 PM
FW Southwest coach is suspended all year

JR2004
08-03-2008, 03:43 PM
FW Southwest coach is suspended all year

They went overboard on that suspension. His comments were pretty tame considering that ridiculous foul cost him his best player.

Emerson1
08-03-2008, 05:09 PM
What did he say?

bobcat1
08-14-2008, 06:05 PM
That's right folks...We're now the 3 time defending district champions at Madison! I'll take it anyway we can get it...lol. I think that also restores our district winning streak back to 14 in a row now if one of the forfeits is to us. :) That's the only way that would ever happen. http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/8350/newlaughqh2.gif\

I remember when Madison was going to beat Celina. Man they got a spanking in McKinney. Then came the injury excuses from JR2004. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: