PDA

View Full Version : Is this Wade Phillips last year as HC of the Cowboys?

Sweetwater Red
08-01-2008, 03:13 PM
OXNARD, Calif. -- It's not often that a coach goes 13-3, sends 13 players to the Pro Bowl and begins the next season firmly on the hot seat. But that's exactly where Dallas Cowboys coach Wade Phillips sits after his team's divisional playoff loss to the New York Giants in January and the $3 million retainer fee that owner Jerry Jones paid offensive coordinator Jason Garrett.

It took one day of training camp for local columnists to write that there was nothing Phillips could do to save his job. According to their theories, even a Super Bowl appearance wouldn't do the trick because then the Cowboys certainly would risk losing Garrett's services.

Ever since the loss to the Giants, the media have been begging Phillips to display anger and take full responsibility for what happened. But he hasn't taken the bait.

NFC East blog

ESPN.com's Matt Mosley writes about all things NFC East in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation
"The blame goes on me anyway. I was stupid last year," he said sarcastically. "I balk when people try to ask a question that they already know the answer they want. I did the best I could do. If a coach is hard-nosed, he'll be labeled as too tough on players. If he's not tough enough, then people complain, too."

Phillips said he definitely would have said something if he felt he could have done better in that loss, but he thought he had put his team in the best situation to succeed.

Now as expectations soar once again, you have to wonder whether Phillips is in a no-win situation.

Key questions

Could this be former first-round pick Roy Williams' last year with the Cowboys?

Once among the most-feared players in football, Williams has become an enigma on this team. He flourished under the guidance of former free safety Darren Woodson, but he hasn't been the same since Woodson retired in 2004. He has become a lightning rod for fans and for the media, and caused a lot of drama this past offseason. He went on a local radio show and talked about his fear of one-on-one coverage, then veteran teammate Greg Ellis publicly wondered why Williams was working out at 6 a.m. and avoiding his teammates. It didn't help that another teammate, cornerback Terence Newman, went on a local TV show and talked about how Williams had a "deer-in-the-headlights look" when he was in coverage.

When defensive coordinator Brian Stewart finally had heard enough, he summoned Williams to Valley Ranch for a meeting to clear the air. Williams, not known for his thick skin, had been reading reports that he could be cut in training camp. Stewart says that nothing is further from the truth and that Williams will play a large role in the defense.

"I had to let him know that I didn't want his first child," Stewart said Tuesday. "I just need him to play within our system. He looks great, and he's doing exactly what we wanted him to do."

There was the perception among members of the organization that Williams didn't always do what he was told because he didn't have any fear of being replaced. Owner Jerry Jones had basically instructed Phillips to make Williams a dominant player again. Now, the approach has changed. The Cowboys want the best 11 players on the field, and in certain passing situations, that won't include Williams. This year, Dallas hopes to use cornerback Anthony Henry on some of the top tight ends.

The Cowboys are admitting that players such as Chris Cooley and Jeremy Shockey have been Williams' kryptonite, and they're going to limit his exposure to one-on-one situations.

So will Williams be back in 2009? It's certainly not guaranteed. And that's a pretty big change in philosophy for Jones.

How will the Cowboys deploy Marion Barber and Felix Jones?

The Cowboys are hoping to give running back Marion Barber 15 to 18 carries a game.
Dallas gave Barber a lucrative extension and took Jones with the 22nd pick overall in the draft. Barber's punishing style is what defines him, but the Cowboys don't want to ask him to carry the ball 20 times per game. They hope to use Barber and Jones the way Sean Payton used Deuce McAllister and Reggie Bush in the Saints' playoff run two seasons ago. They've devised plays in which the backs line up together and Jones goes in motion to the slot or to the outside. The main purpose is to put elusive Jones in space and let him use his speed.

In a perfect world, Barber would carry the ball 15 to 18 times and Jones 10. The Cowboys would like to get Jones at least 12 to 15 touches per game. Right now, they're trying to figure out whether Jones can pick up blitzes. He's definitely a willing blocker, but at 6 feet, 212 pounds (very generous), he doesn't need to be in those situations much. At Arkansas, Jones didn't catch many passes, but he has shown nice hands so far in camp.

Can Tony Romo win a playoff game?

Romo was superb in big regular-season games against the Chicago Bears (at the time), the Giants and the Green Bay Packers. He loves the big stage, but he desperately needs to get the playoff monkey off his back. Like it or not, the Cabo trip with Jessica Simpson and family will follow him around until he knocks down the door in the playoffs.

His teammates and coaches aren't concerned about his "celebrity quarterback" status, which is something former coach Bill Parcells told him to avoid at all costs. When reminded of Parcells' golden rule, Romo laughed and said the rule was instituted before camera phones became available.

For better or worse, Romo has never cared about the perception people have of him, and he doesn't apologize for how he conducts his business off the field. On the field, teammates and coaches know that he works harder than anyone. He's the player who sets the tone in the locker room with his charismatic nature, and everyone follows. He and Garrett have a great relationship, and this season, Garrett has felt comfortable adding several new wrinkles to the passing game. (Hint: The skinny post to T.O. will have a few variations.)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/columns/story?columnist=mosley_matt&id=3511029

trojan37
08-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Of course, if JJ is your boss you aren't going to last long.

Phil C
08-01-2008, 03:30 PM
The 13-3 record was great but in the playoffs it was one and done again and that is not acceptable with the talent this team has even though the Giants were able to win the Super Bowl. It should have been the Cowboys.

popcorn screen
08-01-2008, 03:38 PM
The goal is a superbowl win. Not a huge cowboy fan, but WP has done a great job in managing the team. He has a ton of talent. If JJ wants to hand his team over to a coach with no hd coaching experience, I believe that is a risk he has the right to take. I like Wade and he has been good for the team. No offense to the coaching talents of Jason Garet, but if any OC had those weapons, I am sure they would have an 11 - 15 win year. Having said that, if Wade goes, I would like to see Jason get a shot. Let's not forget, that a tough minded coach in Philly couldn't get TO to become a team player. Wade has done fairly well with players that could be a distraction. I hope the boys do well!!

pirate4state
08-01-2008, 03:44 PM
"It's not often that a coach goes 13-3, sends 13 players to the Pro Bowl and begins the next season firmly on the hot seat."

It happened to Schottenheimer last year except he didn't even get a "hot seat" just a ticket out of town!

Jerry will do what Jerry wants to do, like always.

Phil C
08-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Just two years after coaching the Cowboys to a super bowl win Coach Barry Switzer was run out of town.

zebrablue2
08-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Just two years after coaching the Cowboys to a super bowl win Coach Barry Switzer was run out of town.

that was my thought. maybe win the super bowl this year, and be asked to hit the road...

Emerson1
08-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

Jerry will do what Jerry wants to do, like always.
He is the owner.

forum_guy
08-03-2008, 05:48 PM
yeah this is a BIG possibility especially when they lose this playoffs too...i could see jerry jones signing michael vick and giving him a try when romo screws up this year

Txbroadcaster
08-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by forum_guy
yeah this is a BIG possibility especially when they lose this playoffs too...i could see jerry jones signing michael vick and giving him a try when romo screws up this year

uhhh..ok

etbu
08-03-2008, 06:42 PM

:confused:

Necks_Fan
08-03-2008, 06:46 PM
yeah this is a BIG possibility especially when they lose this playoffs too...i could see jerry jones signing michael vick and giving him a try when romo screws up this year Lol.

Who knows? He does have a "thing" for criminals.

forum_guy
08-03-2008, 06:57 PM
lol i might be the only one thinking this...but what if romo cant figure it out and cant win a first round game and at the same time next year this other qb gets out of prison...call me crazy but jerry jones will think about it...

piratebg
08-03-2008, 06:58 PM
I think you are alone on that one. :crazy1:

Necks_Fan
08-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
I think you are alone on that one. :crazy1: No I can agree. If Romo blows it agian and Vick is available. He "might" think long and hard about it. I thought you guys knew better than to think JJ won't pull the string on something crazy like that.

STANG RED
08-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

IMO Switzer was handed a team he couldnt lose with, yet he somehow managed to do just that his first year there. And he had nothing to do with winning the super bowl his next year. All he had to do was get out of the way and let it happen.
Did I mention that I've never been much of a Switzer fan?:D

STANG RED
08-03-2008, 11:42 PM
lol i might be the only one thinking this...but what if romo cant figure it out and cant win a first round game and at the same time next year this other qb gets out of prison...call me crazy but jerry jones will think about it...

I hadnt thought about that, but now that you mention it, I sure wouldnt put it past JJ. He would sacrafice his mother for another super bowl win I think.

pirate4state
08-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
He is the owner.
Yep and that means he gets to do whatever he wants! :)

forum_guy
08-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
IMO Switzer was handed a team he couldnt lose with, yet he somehow managed to do just that his first year there. And he had nothing to do with winning the super bowl his next year. All he had to do was get out of the way and let it happen.
Did I mention that I've never been much of a Switzer fan?:D

if u think about what u said right there thats the same position wade is in right now...he is coaching a team he shouldnt lose with

Txbroadcaster
08-04-2008, 12:31 AM
if u think about what u said right there thats the same position wade is in right now...he is coaching a team he shouldnt lose with

Big difference...Switzer had a team that KNEW how to win..Wade is teaching basically a young core of players how to win

and the chances Jones would even think about Vick..1 in about a gazillion

Romo is locked down for years, and the Cowboys are not in salary cap jail yet, but to many big contract guys not playing would hurt

forum_guy
08-04-2008, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Big difference...Switzer had a team that KNEW how to win..Wade is teaching basically a young core of players how to win

and the chances Jones would even think about Vick..1 in about a gazillion

Romo is locked down for years, and the Cowboys are not in salary cap jail yet, but to many big contract guys not playing would hurt

yeah true but if the same thing happens this year how can u say jerry jones wouldnt do anything differently with the starting qb....dallas fans wont put up with the 1st round exiting anymore so why would JJ want to

Txbroadcaster
08-04-2008, 12:43 AM
yeah true but if the same thing happens this year how can u say jerry jones wouldnt do anything differently with the starting qb....dallas fans wont put up with the 1st round exiting anymore so why would JJ want to

Well first ur assuming JJ blames Romo for Giants loss, which I dont think he does or should

and again Salary Cap implications pretty much force Romo as starting QB barring some major collapse in play...they showed they felt Romo was the QB of the next 5 years when they locked him down to the big contract

Old Tiger
08-04-2008, 12:51 AM
I say the year after

STANG RED
08-04-2008, 01:00 AM

Not even close to the same teams. Switzer took over a back to back winning super bowl team that still had most all the parts in place. Wade's team this year may be as talented, but they havent proved anything yet. Heck they still havent even won a playoff game yet, or proven that they can.

I really like what Jason Garrett did with the offense for most of last year, but IMO he blew it late and should shoulder most of the blame for the boys collaps at the end. His play calling got really stupid in that Giants game. And I remember lots of conversations about it at the time. I'm not alone in this thinking.

forum_guy
08-04-2008, 10:48 AM
fact of the matter is the only reason they kept jason garrett for ALL of that money was to make him the next head coach...probably after this year when dallas does nothing

BobcatBenny
08-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Danny Amendola is the next head coach of the Cowboys. Jason Garrett had better watch his back! :eek: