PDA

View Full Version : NBA Players to EuroLeague

District303aPastPlayer
07-31-2008, 10:36 AM
Is this a new trend that will continue to grow??

Primoz Brezec.....Raptors......Virtus Roma
Josh Childress......Hawks......Olympiakos
Carlos Delfino......Raptors......Khimki BC
Juan Carlos Navarro.......Grizzlies......F.C. Barcelona
Bostjan Nachbar......Nets......Dynamo Moscow
Nenad Krstic.....Nets......Triumph Moscow

all this with Brandon Jennings, a high school recruit, hopping over...

BreckTxLonghorn
07-31-2008, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Is this a new trend that will continue to grow??

Primoz Brezec.....Raptors......Virtus Roma
Josh Childress......Hawks......Olympiakos
Carlos Delfino......Raptors......Khimki BC
Juan Carlos Navarro.......Grizzlies......F.C. Barcelona
Bostjan Nachbar......Nets......Dynamo Moscow
Nenad Krstic.....Nets......Triumph Moscow

all this with Brandon Jennings, a high school recruit, hopping over...

Don't think you'll see it grow, but EuroLeague will stand to be a good league for exiled or money-hungry mid level stars (ie Childress, Navarro, Krstic--and I'm being generous). I think of it as Japan for baseball: very competitive, but the best want to come here, not vice-versa.

I mean, if Shawn Kemp can get an offer to play in the EuroLeague, it can't be too great.

LH Panther Mom
07-31-2008, 10:48 AM
I realize I don't keep up too much with the NBA, but I've never heard of any of them so maybe they're not all that? :confused:

Old Tiger
07-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I realize I don't keep up too much with the NBA, but I've never heard of any of them so maybe they're not all that? :confused: They're still in HS....those are people who don't want to do the new NBA policy(going to college for a year). They can just go to the Euro league and make money right out of HS.

Phil C
07-31-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
They're still in HS....those are people who don't want to do the new NBA policy(going to college for a year). They can just go to the Euro league and make money right out of HS.

Plus they are in Europe and closer to the Tour de France where they can more easily slip away to watch. :)

forum_guy
07-31-2008, 03:02 PM
but we are forgetting the fact that one of the mains reasons these kids are doing this is because they are getting the housing paid for and have to pay no taxes...so why not

Old Tiger
07-31-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Plus they are in Europe and closer to the Tour de France where they can more easily slip away to watch. :) Phil...i did not think of that....but that is so true

JR2004
07-31-2008, 10:11 PM
As long as the Euro is as strong as it is against the dollar it'll continue. The thing is this. Several of these European clubs are owned by wealthy Russians. There was an article last week talking about how they really aren't looking to make a profit with their teams. It's more a hobby for them to have a team.

One person was quoted as saying that if the owner of CSKA Moscow wants to sell the team that there would be a line of prospective owners to buy it who'd spend money freely for players and wouldn't care how many millions they lose each year. They don't operate the same way pro teams here in the US do. You'll see more guys head over there so long as the money keeps getting better and better.

Emerson1
07-31-2008, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
They're still in HS

Uhm no. The only one coming out of HS is the kid he specifically pointed out. The rest have been in the league for a while now

eagles_victory
07-31-2008, 10:48 PM
As Jr said as long as the money is good over there they are going to continue to jump ship and take the money. But it will never be like soccer where the best players in the United States choose to play in European leagues over the NBA. If you look at the list a real big name still hasnt jumped just a bunch of mid level role players. Childress has a 3 year deal but can opt out and come back to the US each year if he wants too.

If you look at this list (excluding Jennings bc of his grades) only one American player has went which is Childress so it isnt really that alarming yet seeing a bunch of former European guys go back to Europe because things didnt work out in the NBA. However, I heard that Ben Gordan is looking at the possibilty of playing in Europe also.

I think the real trend that you might see is top recruits going over to Europe instead of playing college ball for a year. Jennings picked Europe over college hoops because he wasnt smart enough to qualify but a lot of guys might think why play a season without getting paid when I can be getting paid.

GreenGobbla
08-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Uhm no. The only one coming out of HS is the kid he specifically pointed out. The rest have been in the league for a while now

ya, i was gonna say i have heard of a few of those players before, so i knew they werent in HS still