PDA

View Full Version : Valley Teams

underware
09-30-2003, 12:09 PM
I was wondering about all the Valley Teams and why only PI is dominate? I was down there is weekend and really enjoyed myself. Ya'll have a beautiful area. But I saw a lot of young boys, big boys. Is it the coaching or just lack of interest?

Gobbla2001
09-30-2003, 12:11 PM
There are good coaching down here, it's just hard to consistantly get good coaches down there, most of 'em are local boys...

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-30-2003, 12:24 PM
I think the problem is the coaching. The overwhelming majority of the coaches in the RGV area are all RGV natives. Most never played any football beyond HS, and most have never coached north of the RGV. When it comes time to hire a new AD/Head Coach, most of the time a valley coach will get the job, mainly because of someone he knows in the particular school board's administration. I call it "The Compadre System". But look at some of the teams in the area that have become successful by hiring coaches from out of the area....PI, Donna (5A), and now Brownsville Porter (4A) after years of horrible futility.

Another problem is that a lot of the schools in the RGV area seem to like to schedule weaker teams in their non-district schedule. Because of that, come district play and playoffs (if they make it) they get blown away by the Corpus area schools, or San Antonio area schools. None of the area schools seem to be willing to schedule an out-of-area team, preferring to "keep it in the valley", which doesn't really help teams prepare for the "out of valley" teams they will face in the playoffs.

And, to answer your question about Port Isabel....there are many reasons why PI is dominant compared to the rest of it's RGV counterparts. One reason is that PI is the only team in the area willing to play a TOUGH non-district schedule. Just look at this season....Port Isabel's non-district schedule had La Vernia (26-3A champs), Falfurrias (31-3A playoff team), PSJA Memorial (big enrollment, 4A playoff team last year), and Los Fresnos (PI's main rival, HUGE 4A team, 32-4A district champs).

PI lost to La Vernia, and lost a close one to Falfurrias. PI did beat PSJA Memorial 30-7, unfortunately, due to some HORRIBLE weather in the area, the game vs. Los Fresnos got cancelled. But because of those tough games, PI's first district game vs. undefeated Rio Hondo, PI blew them away 31-7. Rio Hondo is one of those teams with a pathetically weak non-district schedule. Now that Port Isabel is back on their feet, they should do very well in their district, and in the playoffs.

SintonFan
09-30-2003, 12:29 PM
TFINT, being so far down there, I'm sure many schools have to look at travel as a concern. It wouldn't be viable to travel so far for a non-district game. Although, playing the northeners would help, I'm sure.

Ray_BearKat
09-30-2003, 01:15 PM
I think Raymondville has been improving, as well. Since moving down to 3A in 98 they have been good competetion for PI and making the playoffs. I agree about the trading of coaches in the valley.

I feel Raymondville's non-district schedule was pretty difficult as well. Sinton (30-3A champs), Sharyland (HUGE 4A team, possibly the best in the valley, and 31-4A district champs), and PSJA Memorial(big enrollment, 4A playoff team last year), and Edcouch-Elsa (4A, cancelled due to weather).

Raymondville barely beat Sinton w/a late field goal. They held to within 3 points of Sharyland for 3 quarters, and fatigue in the all the players playing both ways set in during the 4th when Sharyland opened the scoring drives. Raymondville beat PSJA Memorial 34-14, E-E was cancelled. Raytown opened district play with Lyford(many consider the dark horse this season). They barely won with a late field goal but managed over 400 yrds. offense, over 200 rushing alone from QB Tommy Wolfe. The Kats went into that game too overconfident and look what happened, they continue district play at home against Rio Hondo.

SintonFan
09-30-2003, 01:28 PM
Ray_BearKat, who looks to be the div 1 representative this year in the valley?

underware
09-30-2003, 01:52 PM
Thanks for everyones post. I still think there could be some really dominate teams down there. I guess distance has a lot to do with it. But the schools do need new blood, as in coaching. I guess it difficult to get a good coach to move to the Valley. I'm not a coach, but I wouldn't mind coaching down there. Ya'll live in such a great place. I went by a few schools, Donna, Weslaco, PSJA, and Progresso. Those look like great schools to go to. I stayed in Weslaco and was close to the Stadium. Great place. Ya'll have a lot to be proud of down there. I still like the Mascot "Red Ants" Thats cool! LOL

Ray_BearKat
09-30-2003, 01:57 PM
That my friend is still up in the air, from the looks of it maybe La Feria, if they can keep it up, but if they don't make the playoffs then its Raymondville. La Feria only had 5 more students than Raymondville last alignment. The three largest 3A school in the valley are only 23.5 students apart, very close up top.