View Full Version : Ivan Rodriguez Traded To Yankees

Necks_Fan
07-30-2008, 03:29 PM
ESPN showing this now.

Sweetwater Red
07-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
ESPN showing this now.

Nothing on ESPN.com yet. I guess Inge has a full time job now.
I wonder what Detroit is getting in return?:thinking:

Maybe Bobby Abreu?:D

Necks_Fan
07-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

Maybe Bobby Abreu?:D Buster Olney says RP Kyle Farnsworth.

Txbroadcaster
07-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

Maybe Bobby Abreu?:D

Kyle Farnsworth

Astrosdawg07
07-30-2008, 03:38 PM
This deal makes no sense at all for Detroit. Farnsworth is not a dependable reliever.

Necks_Fan
07-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
This deal makes no sense at all for Detroit. Farnsworth is not a dependable reliever. I think he has been pretty good this year but they still got basically nothing for Pudge.

Sweetwater Red
07-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
This deal makes no sense at all for Detroit. Farnsworth is not a dependable reliever.

He's played for Detroit before. Given the poor pitching of their other
midlle relievers- Jason Grilli, Bobby Seay, and Freddie Dolsi- their
probably just trying to find anybody the can be an upgrade.

Astrosdawg07
07-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Farnsworth has proven time after time that when it matters he chokes.

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Pudge was almost traded to the Yankees back in the summer of 1997 for a young catcher named Jorge Posada...interesting how things come full circle sometimes.

Necks_Fan
07-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Pudge was almost traded to the Yankees back in the summer of 1997 for a young catcher named Jorge Posada...interesting how things come full circle sometimes. Hm, I didn't know that. Good stuff.

crzyjournalist03
07-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Hm, I didn't know that. Good stuff.

at the time, Pudge was about to enter free agency for the first time and the Rangers didn't think they could afford him. The Yankees had just won their first World Series title in a long time, and wanted to keep the momentum going.

At the last minute (I think it may have been July 31st), Pudge went into Doug Melvin's office and told him that he wanted to remain a Ranger, and Pudge accepted a new contract at a big hometown discount. If Pudge had not done that, he was hours away from being a Yankee.

Necks_Fan
07-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
at the time, Pudge was about to enter free agency for the first time and the Rangers didn't think they could afford him. The Yankees had just won their first World Series title in a long time, and wanted to keep the momentum going.

At the last minute (I think it may have been July 31st), Pudge went into Doug Melvin's office and told him that he wanted to remain a Ranger, and Pudge accepted a new contract at a big hometown discount. If Pudge had not done that, he was hours away from being a Yankee. I'm too young to know any of that. I didn't follow sports til '04.

trojan37
07-30-2008, 03:59 PM
The New York Yankees have found a replacement for Jorge Posada.

New York acquired catcher Ivan Rodriguez from the Tigers on Wednesday for right-handed pitcher Kyle Farnsworth.

Rodriguez

The deal was first reported by ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

Rodriguez, who is in the final year of his contract, waived his no-trade clause to join the Yankees, sources told ESPN.com.

"He's hitting over .290 I believe and he's been hot so we're looking forward to having him," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said after New York's 13-3 rout of the Orioles on Wednesday.

Rodriguez is batting .295 this season with five home runs and 32 RBIs in 82 games. In 18 seasons with the Rangers, Marlins and Tigers, he's hit .302 with 293 homers and 1,214 RBIs.

A 14-time All-Star, Rodriguez won the American League MVP award in 1999 and for years was known as the best defensive catcher in the game. He earned Gold Gloves in 13 seasons.

"He's been a great player for a long time and I remember the battles we had in Texas. He's been a world champion," said Girardi, who was a member of the Yankees during playoff battles with the Rangers in the 90s.

Farnsworth

In his lone season in Florida in 2003, Rodriguez helped lead the Marlins to a World Series victory over the Yankees. Farnsworth, who is 1-2 with a 3.65 ERA this season, played for the Tigers in 2005.

"Another team wants me. That's the way I look at it," he said. " They [the Tigers] know my reputation. They know what type of person I am."

Posada, a five-time All-Star catcher, announced he would have season-ending surgery on his right shoulder on Monday. He has struggled with shoulder pain for most of the season, limiting his ability to throw out baserunners and cutting down his playing time behind the plate.

On the disabled list for the second time this year, Posada was trying to rehabilitate his shoulder enough to come back as a designated hitter or first baseman this season. But after the Yankees acquired outfielder Xavier Nady in a trade with Pittsburgh on Saturday, they determined it was best for Posada to have surgery now, general manager Brian Cashman said Monday.

Necks_Fan
07-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
The New York Yankees have found a replacement for Jorge Posada.

New York acquired catcher Ivan Rodriguez from the Tigers on Wednesday for right-handed pitcher Kyle Farnsworth.

Rodriguez

The deal was first reported by ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

Rodriguez, who is in the final year of his contract, waived his no-trade clause to join the Yankees, sources told ESPN.com.

"He's hitting over .290 I believe and he's been hot so we're looking forward to having him," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said after New York's 13-3 rout of the Orioles on Wednesday.

Rodriguez is batting .295 this season with five home runs and 32 RBIs in 82 games. In 18 seasons with the Rangers, Marlins and Tigers, he's hit .302 with 293 homers and 1,214 RBIs.

A 14-time All-Star, Rodriguez won the American League MVP award in 1999 and for years was known as the best defensive catcher in the game. He earned Gold Gloves in 13 seasons.

"He's been a great player for a long time and I remember the battles we had in Texas. He's been a world champion," said Girardi, who was a member of the Yankees during playoff battles with the Rangers in the 90s.

Farnsworth

In his lone season in Florida in 2003, Rodriguez helped lead the Marlins to a World Series victory over the Yankees. Farnsworth, who is 1-2 with a 3.65 ERA this season, played for the Tigers in 2005.

"Another team wants me. That's the way I look at it," he said. " They [the Tigers] know my reputation. They know what type of person I am."

Posada, a five-time All-Star catcher, announced he would have season-ending surgery on his right shoulder on Monday. He has struggled with shoulder pain for most of the season, limiting his ability to throw out baserunners and cutting down his playing time behind the plate.

On the disabled list for the second time this year, Posada was trying to rehabilitate his shoulder enough to come back as a designated hitter or first baseman this season. But after the Yankees acquired outfielder Xavier Nady in a trade with Pittsburgh on Saturday, they determined it was best for Posada to have surgery now, general manager Brian Cashman said Monday. What's going to happen with their outfield situation?

Is Matsui done for the year?

Damon, Abreu, Nady, Cabrera, Matsui?, is Giambi only at 1st.

trojan37
07-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Matsui (http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080730&content_id=3224266&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy)

lostaussie
07-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
In 18 seasons with the Rangers, Marlins and Tigers, he's hit .302 with 293 homers and 1,214 RBIs.

that just blew my mind................not the .302 or the homers or the rbi's......................18 seasons!!!!!!!! i had something else typed and erased it..............but I will say, my wife was infatuated with a young Pudge:D

trojan37
07-30-2008, 08:17 PM
I remember the 1st time I saw Pudge on t.v. he was like 18 or 19 years old, and he was awesome. It still doesn't seem like it's been 18 seasons for him. How time flies by.

zebrablue2
07-30-2008, 08:30 PM
I cannot stand the yankees, and their high dollar payroll...

Emerson1
07-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
I cannot stand the yankees, and their high dollar payroll...
Hicks has the money to match the yankees.

He waste is on soccer teams instead so he can have 2 crappy franchises instead of the one.

zebrablue2
07-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

He waste is on soccer teams instead so he can have 2 crappy franchises instead of the one.

LOL...

Macarthur
07-31-2008, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1

Hicks has a lot of money, but the Rangers don't have even close to the revenue the Yankess do.

I don't particularly like this trade for either team. Farnsworth is just a guy, IMO. Pudge's best years were several years ago. I'm really surprised the Yankees didn't go after Laird. Laird is a much better player than Pudge at this point in Pudge's career.

Sweetwater Red
07-31-2008, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Hicks has a lot of money, but the Rangers don't have even close to the revenue the Yankess do.

I don't particularly like this trade for either team. Farnsworth is just a guy, IMO. Pudge's best years were several years ago. I'm really surprised the Yankees didn't go after Laird. Laird is a much better player than Pudge at this point in Pudge's career.

Buster Olney is calling this trade a push. Pudge was platooning
with Inge at catcher. There were rumors that he wasn't happy
in Detroit. I think both teams did themselves good with this
trade.

BTW congrats on #1500. Do you have an avatar in mind?