PDA

View Full Version : Rom Artest to Houston!!!

PHS Wildcats
07-29-2008, 10:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3510261

JR2004
07-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Someone mentioned it already. Oh well does little to move them up. Another 5th seed or lower is in store for them.

Necks_Fan
07-29-2008, 10:59 PM
I think it's a great trade when you think about what they gave up.

Rafer Alston
McGrady
Ron Artest
Scola
Yao

Bench

Battier
Landry
Francis
Dorsey
Brooks
Head

Bull's-eye
07-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Rumors all day were Rockets working a deal for Allen Iverson. Don't know if that is still in the works, but getting Artest will definately move them up in the West. Artest coming to Houston is huge, one reason is that the Lakers don't get him. Rumors had him being traded for Odom.

JR2004
07-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Artest coming to Houston is huge, one reason is that the Lakers don't get him.

Rumors WERE WRONG. Our GM is smarter than that and went to Odom himself and apologized for that ridiculous rumor. We knew not to give up a very good player for a one year rental of a headcase.

JasperDog94
07-30-2008, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
We knew not to give up a very good player for a one year rental of a headcase. That's making the assumption that Artest won't sign an extension to play with a coach that he loves.

Bull's-eye
07-30-2008, 12:32 AM
Artest is playing he final year of his contract, which could be good for the Rockets. Most players will play very well, knowing that they can really benefit their financial status. Rockets do have the option of signing Artest and if he doesn't work out, Houston has over 8 million to sign a free agent. Not bad for Bobby Jackson and what started out to be 25th pick and what should be a late 2009 first round pick. Remember, Houston turned their 25th pick into Greene, Dorsey and the Grizzlie's 2009 2nd round pick. That Memphis pick should be only a few picks out of the first round.

Bull's-eye
07-30-2008, 12:38 AM
Rumors WERE WRONG. Our GM is smarter than that and went to Odom himself and apologized for that ridiculous rumor. We knew not to give up a very good player for a one year rental of a headcase.

Wasn't Kobe pushing for the Artest/Odom trade? I seem to recall Stephen A. Smith mentioning this in his interview with Kobe.

JR2004
07-30-2008, 01:31 AM
Wasn't Kobe pushing for the Artest/Odom trade? I seem to recall Stephen A. Smith mentioning this in his interview with Kobe.

No in fact Bryant wasn't. He's gone on record, as has the organization several times, that they don't want to give up Lamar and weren't going to do so to get Artest. It was a baseless rumor started by the beat writer in CowTown trying to drum up some page hits.

JasperDog94
07-30-2008, 08:55 AM
With McGrady getting older and not knowing how Yao will rebound from his injury, I like this move. It's definitely a "win now" kind of move, but it makes the Rockets better right now and (IMO) a contender in the west.

Bull's-eye
07-30-2008, 10:47 AM

Giving up Bobby Jackson, who is an aging back up, makes a lot of sense. Trading somebody like Odom is not that big of an improvement, so I can see why the Lakers didn't pull the trigger. The Lakers do return Bynum, but is it enough to knock off the Celtics and hold off improving West? People around the league are comparing this to the Gasol trade, basically saying the Rockets stole Artest. Donte Greene could come back and haunt the Rockets, but the Yao/T-Mac window of opportunity is now. Even if the Rockets had stayed completely healthy, most people wouldn't of considered them a top contending team. With Artest, they are now considered a contender.

JasperDog94
07-30-2008, 12:21 PM
People around the league are comparing this to the Gasol trade, basically saying the Rockets stole Artest. Artest had to be moved and there were few teams that were interested. Plus it may not be much of a steal if the Rockets only get him for 1 year.

Necks_Fan
07-30-2008, 12:26 PM
I still like the trade and I like the Rocket's problem too.

Too many players. they can trade somebody and get good value in return.

Expendable players:

Scola or Landry
Francis (Needs to go)
Battier (If they sign Artest to a long term deal)
Head- Go
Brooks-Keep

JasperDog94
07-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I still like the trade and I like the Rocket's problem too.

Too many players. they can trade somebody and get good value in return.

Expendable players:

Scola or Landry
Francis (Needs to go)
Battier (If they sign Artest to a long term deal)
Head- Go
Brooks-Keep No way would I trade Scola...not unless somebody gave up something awesome for him.

I'm not impressed with Brooks yet...but he's still young.

Luther Head has got to go.

Necks_Fan
07-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
No way would I trade Scola...not unless somebody gave up something awesome for him.

I'm not impressed with Brooks yet...but he's still young.

Luther Head has got to go. i'm okay with trading Scola for a high first round draft pick if they sign Landry to a long term deal. I want to keep atleast one and if they manage to hang onto both, then that's great.

All the others are expendable, but they need to keep 1 guard to backup Alston.

Necks_Fan
07-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Ya know what else?

We got Brent Barry too.

We don't need him either. Dang.

Let him go too.

Bull's-eye
07-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Artest had to be moved and there were few teams that were interested. Plus it may not be much of a steal if the Rockets only get him for 1 year.

True, some teams weren't interested, but most didn't have the ability or luxury to pull this trade off. Trading or signing NBA players has become little more difficult, salaries must match and expiring contracts become very important. This trade was set up by several moves, starting with the Wells + James for Bobby Jackson. Even though the Rockets were on the short end as far as talent goes, Jackson's 6 million dollar expiring contract was key for the Rockets. Houston entered this year's draft with the 25th pick and selected Nicholas Batum, a player coveted by the Spurs & Trailblazers. Houston turned that pick into Donte Green, Joey Dorsey and a 2009 2nd round pick from Memphis. Assuming the Grizzlies don't improve much, this pick won't be too much lower than the #1 pick the Rockets traded to the Kings. Best scenario, Artest leads them to a championship and or the Rockets sign him to a multi-year contract. Worst scenario, he stays for 1 year and the Rockets have 8.5 million to acquire another piece of the puzzle.

forum_guy
07-30-2008, 02:46 PM
i think this trade makes houston the best texas team...sorry spurs fan, your team is on the decline

JasperDog94
07-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by forum_guy
i think this trade makes houston the best texas team...sorry spurs fan, your team is on the decline The Spurs are still the team to beat...although I think Houston has a great shot this year. Injuries always play a key role as the season goes along.

forum_guy
07-30-2008, 03:28 PM
yeah the team to beat of course for texas teams...it seems like everyone in the west is getting better, younger, more athletic while the spurs just stay in the same spot...i think the spurs could end up being a 6 or 7 seed in the west this year

Necks_Fan
07-30-2008, 03:42 PM
I think with the Lakers and NO, houston is the team to beat in the WEST, and for that matter, include Boson and one of the teams to beat in the NBA.

wedo
07-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Rumors all day were Rockets working a deal for Allen Iverson. Don't know if that is still in the works, but getting Artest will definately move them up in the West. Artest coming to Houston is huge, one reason is that the Lakers don't get him. Rumors had him being traded for Odom.

I think if the Rockets want to win now they need a big time power forward not a point but Iverson would help also. To me Scola is good and will only get better but he isn't elite!

Necks_Fan
07-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by wedo
I think if the Rockets want to win now they need a big time power forward not a point but Iverson would help also. To me Scola is good and will only get better but he isn't elite! He has only ONE year of NBA experiance. He will be a 15-20 ppg and 8-10 Rpg as well as good defensivley.

Also, you can't replace a guy with the motor he has. He's a great player.

Also with McGrady, Yao, Artest, Alston, and Francis on the pay roll, I doubt they can afford another top notch player.

wedo
07-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
He has only ONE year of NBA experiance. He will be a 15-20 ppg and 8-10 Rpg as well as good defensivley.

Also, you can't replace a guy with the motor he has. He's a great player.

Also with McGrady, Yao, Artest, Alston, and Francis on the pay roll, I doubt they can afford another top notch player.

I wouldn't get rid of SCola just trade some more of the 25 guards that the rockets currently have!!

Necks_Fan
07-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by wedo
I wouldn't get rid of SCola just trade some more of the 25 guards that the rockets currently have!! That would give them 3 bonafide PF's and 2 SF/PF too.

They definitely have too many though.