PDA

View Full Version : save 50%+ on your can insurance........interesting.....

jason
07-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Save 50% on your insurance by driving less

By Hank Green Posted Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:42pm PDT

Driving less is the best way to prevent having a car accident. When you're on the road less, you're just less likely to crash your car (or have someone crash into you). So your insurance company has a vested interest in making you pay more if you drive a lot.

Unfortunately, this one factor, the most important in determining the likelihood of having an accident, is very difficult for insurance companies to gauge. They can't come by and check everyone's odometer. So, as it stands, insurance companies don't vary their premiums very much because they can't trust people to tell them how much they do or don't drive.

But that may now change. GM drivers can now opt-in to a program that sends their mileage statistics to GMAC. And if the yearly mileage is under 15,000, GMAC will reduce its rates up to 54%.

It's part of GM's OnStar program. And, if it sounds like a possible violation of privacy to you, it kinda is. That's why you have to choose to join the program. Still, it's a little creepy ... basically paying you for personal information about your driving habits. Not that insurance companies haven't been delving deep into our privacy since the beginning of time. We'll see how long it is before they start keeping track of where you drive and whether you speed.

Nonetheless, I like the program, if only because it's a more fair way to insure vehicles. Oh, and because it uses some pretty cool technology to give people one more reason to drive less.

LINK (http://green.yahoo.com/blog/ecogeek/659/save-50-on-your-insurance-by-driving-less.html)

44INAROW
07-29-2008, 10:16 AM
pretty neat - also, another way to cut insurance expense is to make sure you advise your agent/carrier when you retire. That changes your rate to "pleasure use" and it decreases the premium (in most cases - I can't speak for all carriers) Also, while we're on the subject - for those of you who drive "Company vehicles" it is HIGHLY suggested you contact your agent and advise him/her that you do and if he/she should suggest you add the endorsement to your personal auto policy to protect you while you're driving that company vehicle. It's cheap coverage and offers a lot of protection :)

Ranger Mom
07-29-2008, 11:56 AM
I HAD to open the thread and read, because for the life of me, I couldn't figure out what "can" insurance was.

I thought all those Silver bullets were getting the best of him!