07-28-2008, 02:21 PM
receive preferential treatment?

I think so

piratebg
07-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Example?

piratebg
07-28-2008, 02:31 PM
If you mean like a football player has a 67 at the end of the grading period but the teacher gives him the 3pt curve to keep on the field. Meanwhile there is another student with the same grade who is not a football player and has to live with that failing grade, then no.

Old Tiger
07-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
If you mean like a football player has a 67 at the end of the grading period but the teacher gives him the 3pt curve to keep on the field. Meanwhile there is another student with the same grade who is not a football player and has to live with that failing grade, then no. Yes exactly that....I think it's great when they do.

c-town_balla
07-28-2008, 02:36 PM
should they? I would think not

do they? of course

LHexPlayer
07-28-2008, 02:37 PM
No they should not. They should be held to a higher standard.

piratebg
07-28-2008, 02:39 PM
When I was in high school, I saw my AD bully one of my favorite teachers into passing our star RB after the first 6-week period, right before district play. He didn't do any of his work and had no reason to be on the field, but because of preferential treatment, he played. Student-athletes. Student comes first.

Old Tiger
07-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by LHexPlayer
No they should not. They should be held to a higher standard. Yes and that makes perfect sense....

They should be held to higher standards and they are so that is why they get the special treatment

Txbroadcaster
07-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue

I think so

No they should not, especially when it comes to grades..A football player is taught to work hard in football, to then allow them to not work as hard in the class room IMO takes the core of what a player is taught in football and throws it away

First and foremost football in HS should be about teaching and learning and that does not end when the player walks off the field, in fact that should be just the beginning

You say football players are held to a higher standard, and to some extent they are, but they are also given a longer rope many times to hang themselves compared to joe average student.

c-town_balla
07-28-2008, 02:52 PM
and really....what kind of person needs help to pass high school classes?

besides people that have a learning disability

BILLYFRED0000
07-28-2008, 04:26 PM
I think it comes down to character. If you work your butt off and are a good citizen maybe a curve applies. Slacker's should get what is coming to them.

ronwx5x
07-28-2008, 04:32 PM

I think so

You mean such as attending a military academy but because he is a good athlete, not having a commitment to serve after completion?

:stirpot: :taunt:

Old Tiger
07-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
You mean such as attending a military academy but because he is a good athlete, not having a commitment to serve after completion?

:stirpot: :taunt: no cause we all know that is crap

like getting grades.....or getting out of speeding tickets cause they are the towns best player and what not

Macarthur
07-28-2008, 04:50 PM
No.

Dogman_1969
07-28-2008, 05:12 PM
If the student athlete is truely devoted to going somewhere in athletics then he will take care of his business in the classroom.

We have been to 8 summer camps at colleges across Texas the last few months and all the coaches tell athletes the same thing, "if you aren't doing the right things in the classroom and getting to your classes then We can't use you here."

Most of the college coaches will tell you if you don't have a 3.0 GPA in your core classes then we will go on to the next guy. Problem is some kids think that because they were "it" in high school that they automatically will have numerous offers. It don't work that way. Coaches want to see you at their camps, talk to your assist. Principle about you as a student and then look over your transcript. Then they will look at your game tapes and look at you as a candidate for a scholarship.

Now my son is now greatful for me having my own academic rules. No "A" No Play.......

LH Panther Mom
07-28-2008, 05:22 PM
like getting grades.....or getting out of speeding tickets cause they are the towns best player and what not
No & the last part of that (speeding ticket) is just stupid.

Matthew328
07-28-2008, 06:14 PM
I got out of a ticket in HS because I was a basketball player and the cop recognized me...LOL I won't even get into what goes on in college regarding star athletes especially in the revenue sports football and men's basketball.

As for colleges saying they overlook kids who don't have a 3.0 in core classes, maybe but if you are good enough they'll get you in. It's all lip service.

espn1
07-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I got out of a ticket in HS because I was a basketball player and the cop recognized me...LOL I won't even get into what goes on in college regarding star athletes especially in the revenue sports football and men's basketball.

As for colleges saying they overlook kids who don't have a 3.0 in core classes, maybe but if you are good enough they'll get you in. It's all lip service.
They haven't given anybody from UT a break lately. They really seem to not like Cedric.

c-town_balla
07-28-2008, 06:37 PM
yeah they will take you if you have less than a 3.0.....I knew a texas football player who made this very wise and inteligent statment:

I mean why ain't animals learned to cook their food yet? You could think that they could use they paws to rub some rocks together and start a fire.

popcorn screen
07-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Troy Aikman rule applies here (of course it is situational)

Cowboys are in the first week of camp and Jimmy Johnson lets the boys know that their are rules to follow etc.... Guy enters into the meeting five minutes late and JJ asks him to leave. He is cut later that day. Troy walks in 15 minutes late and Jimmy says, "Troy, glad you can make it. etc...."

As far as HS goes, classes are not hard if you show interests, pay attention, and turn your work in on time. I know that it probably happens less than it used to, but I am for everyone being treated equally.

Emerson1
07-28-2008, 07:30 PM
If anything at a lot of schools they are treated worse because they do play football. A lot of teachers have that kind of mentality.

easttexas3a
07-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Athletes, specifically male athletes in Football are acctually looked badly upon by some Nazi teachers. I am not for them getting any type of special treatment, but I am not for them being held to a higher standard either. They are just another student who enjoys playing a game.

Old Tiger
07-28-2008, 08:32 PM
renegade teachers are dumb

piratebg
07-28-2008, 08:37 PM
I hate Illinois Nazis. :p