PDA

View Full Version : Beijing Olympics 2008 (merged threads)

Pages : [1] 2

NewYorkYankee
07-28-2008, 01:47 PM
USA! USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!

BuffyMars
08-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Anybody else excited? I flippin LOVE the Olympics!!! :D

Old Tiger
08-04-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm more excited for 8-23-08

But I am ready to watch the 100, 110 hurdles, softball, basketball, and the relays.(only events I really care for)

BuffyMars
08-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
I'm more excited for 8-23-08

But I am ready to watch the 100, softball, basketball, and the relays.

hey dont get me wrong, im excited for football season too....but this only happens once every 4 years! and 4 years ago i did NOT have dvr. ;) summer games are always my fave. i don't really watch many winter games.

Old Tiger
08-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
hey dont get me wrong, im excited for football season too....but this only happens once every 4 years! and 4 years ago i did NOT have dvr. ;) summer games are always my fave. i don't really watch many winter games. Oh I was saying the 23rd because it will be my 21st birthday :D:D:p

BuffyMars
08-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Oh I was saying the 23rd because it will be my 21st birthday :D:D:p

ahhhh :clap: :clap: congrats!!

BobcatBenny
08-04-2008, 12:17 PM
How can I be expected to get up for an event that will most likely result in many stripped medals in 4-8 years because of cheating? :(

BuffyMars
08-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
How can I be expected to get up for an event that will most likely result in many stripped medals in 4-8 years because of cheating? :(

that is a depressing thought....

injuredinmelee
08-04-2008, 12:19 PM
My son turns 8 on 8-8-08.

BuffyMars
08-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
My son turns 8 on 8-8-08.

awww thats awesome! and he's a leo....leo's are all cool people. i'm just saying. ;)

garciap77
08-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Hey isn't that happening in High School Football?:( :( :(

BobcatBenny
08-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Hey isn't that happening in High School Football?:( :( :(
Yes, but I only have to wait a year or two for that. ;)

44INAROW
08-04-2008, 01:21 PM

Buffy
yesterday I was flipping through channels and on Oxygen @ 4pm they had a movie called STICK IT - the title intriqued me so I tivo'd it - it was about gymnists - it was a good movie.

wimbo_pro
08-04-2008, 01:56 PM
08.08.08 @ 08:08:08 local time is when it will kick off! They DO have a sense for the silly, right?

wimbo_pro
08-08-2008, 07:38 PM
You should be...these Opening Ceramonies are absolutely INCREDIBLE!!!!

trojan37
08-08-2008, 07:39 PM
I saw the pictures from it early this morning.

wimbo_pro
08-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
I saw the pictures from it early this morning.

The pictures are doing it NO justice. This is absolutely unbelievable.

Astrosdawg07
08-08-2008, 07:53 PM
I'll pass I'd rather watch the astros.

AP Panther Fan
08-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro

Sure is...and I don't impress easily! Awesome!:clap: :clap: :clap:

wimbo_pro
08-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
LOL@AstrosDawg...ummmm, ok!!!

AP Panther Fan
08-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Incredible...it made me cry. Very humbling and really shows us that we are just an infant (historically speaking). Over 15,000 performers working together in unison...amazing.

Sweetwater Red
08-08-2008, 08:25 PM

You're easily impressed my friend. It's 2008. They are doing
with lights the same thing they were doing with flags 20 years
ago. China is a human rights nightmare. I'm disgusted to see the NBC
announcers and whoever rights that crap for them sugarcoat
these festivities.

Ranger Mom
08-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
You're easily impressed my friend. It's 2008. They are doing
with lights the same thing they were doing with flags 20 years
ago. China is a human rights nightmare. I'm disgusted to see the NBC
announcers and whoever rights that crap for them sugarcoat
these festivities.

Tell us how you REALLY feel!!;) :kiss:

AP Panther Fan
08-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

:) I wouldn't go there.;)

Sweetwater Red
08-08-2008, 08:39 PM

A little over the top I know. I just don't care for the commentators
discussing how much progress China has made humanitarily.:dispntd:

Sweetwater Red
08-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
:) I wouldn't go there.;)
I'm not BBDE or Black Magic. I'm not into six page banging your
head against a brickwall threads. Heck I took three weeks off
from the Low because of the pitbull/global warming threads. :thumbsup:

AP Panther Fan
08-08-2008, 08:45 PM

I'm there with you, my friend!:D

wimbo_pro
08-08-2008, 08:51 PM
A little over the top I know. I just don't care for the commentators
discussing how much progress China has made humanitarily.:dispntd:

Well, you could argue that its not enough progress, and we should isolate, ignore and disengage from China completely. You could argue that we are better off with a China that is in total poverty, that is a closed society and one totally dedicated to communism.

OR...

You could recognize the MASSIVE improvement in human rights over the last 15 years, the great improvement in economic progress and openess and freedoms that the average Chinese citizen is enjoying today. You COULD see it as progress in the right direction...maybe not enough progress to satisfy everyone to date...but progress nonetheless.

There HAS been progress....great progress...this is obvious. Whether you see it as fast enough for you, well, thats your call. But it IS moving in the right direction. At least recognize what improvements there have been.

44INAROW
08-08-2008, 10:02 PM
I agree - luckily when we left to go eat supper (ironcially Chinese food lol) we left the TV on channel 4 (local NBC affiliate) so I was able to rewind back to the beginning.. How about those 2008 drummers? Totally amazing.. Then the pieces of screens pieced together at the top of the arena/stadium and then the ocean looking scenes displayed on them. I really liked the "Wall of China" thing......... lots of precision involved in the production
and just for the record - I didn't even listen to the commentators, and don't pay attention to the politics involved in all this - all I was simply saying was that the production was pretty.. damn, can't even comment on seeing something pretty anymore........:(

Diocletian
08-08-2008, 10:10 PM
It is very entertaining. It is also very emotional to see our National represenation walking next to the competition. The olympics get bigger every year....so I say everyone should support and watch the ceremonies.

DDBooger
08-08-2008, 10:23 PM
China has come a long way, they have issues with human rights but we are only 40+ years past ours!!! give them time, they'll come around, as modernity and technology seeps its way into their country, changes will be made either through political movement or just the last remnants of communist idealists dying off.

IHStangFan
08-08-2008, 10:29 PM
I'm finding myself wondering "is Yao the tallest person in the stadium?" LOL.

DDBooger
08-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I'm finding myself wondering "is Yao the tallest person in the stadium?" LOL. dunno, chinese are not all small people...and with fewer and fewer women in that country and the countries fascination with height, the tall men are getting the STRANGE...

IHStangFan
08-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
dunno, chinese are not all small people...and with fewer and fewer women in that country and the countries fascination with height, the tall men are getting the STRANGE... LOL. Yeah, I know not all of the Chinese are short, I was referring/comparing to EVERYONE in the building. Isn't Yao 7'6" or 7'7"? Sure there's plenty of 7 footers out there...but thats where height hits a wall, not nearly as many OVER 7' as there are 6'10 to 7'ers it seems.

DDBooger
08-08-2008, 10:37 PM
LOL. Yeah, I know not all of the Chinese are short, I was referring/comparing to EVERYONE in the building. Isn't Yao 7'6" or 7'7"? Sure there's plenty of 7 footers out there...but thats where height hits a wall, not nearly as many OVER 7' as there are 6'10 to 7'ers it seems. yeah, good point, and he's much more balanced then the likes of manute bol and george muresan

wimbo_pro
08-08-2008, 11:17 PM
I would bet that on average, the Chinese are probably 2" to 3" shorter than we Americans, on average of course. The thing that really jumps out at you if you visit there is the slightness of the population. Of course we Americans (in comparison) are fat, but they are not slim...they are slight. That will change as we open more Kentucky Fried Chicken's and Mickey D's, this we can be sure of.

Bull Butter
08-09-2008, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07

AMEN!!!
Astros beat the Reds tonight!:)

Old Tiger
08-09-2008, 05:29 AM
it was quite a spectacle....enjoyed it

so far at work i've watch women's soccer, equestrian, badmitton, and the sword match

3afan
08-09-2008, 06:57 AM
watched some badmitton this AM - not like we play in the back yard, thats for sure

Old Tiger
08-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
watched some badmitton this AM - not like we play in the back yard, thats for sure that USA girl choked against the canadian

Gobbler Fan
08-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Need more Womens beach Volleyball coverage :thumbsup:

DDBooger
08-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
Need more Womens beach Volleyball coverage :thumbsup: Brazil vs USA, i don't care what the score is

wimbo_pro
08-09-2008, 10:33 AM
The announcer said, when one of the girls dove for the ball, that she "looked like a powder doughnut" with all the sand on her.

I'll have some milk with that, please.

STANG RED
08-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Much of the opening ceremony was very cool, and the amount of preperation and organization that it took to pull it off so well is amazing. But wasnt most of it a little too over the top? I thought so. I heard it cost something like $300 million. Wouldnt that have been much better used to have fed several million hungry Chinese poor people that have to live on a couple dollars per day?And how about spending some of that on cleaning up the huge amount of pollution China pumps into the atmosphere daily? They are one of the worst trangressers in the world when it comes to pollution, and dont seem to really give a damn about it, but do seem to care much more about putting on the most expensive opening ceremony in history by 10 x more than ever before. I just dont get it. Their priorities are obviously way out of whack, so tell me why we are applauding it???

Txbroadcaster
08-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Their priorities are obviously way out of whack, so tell me why we are applauding it???

You act like our priorities are not out of whack in general

DDBooger
08-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Much of the opening ceremony was very cool, and the amount of preperation and organization that it took to pull it off so well is amazing. But wasnt most of it a little too over the top? I thought so. I heard it cost something like $300 million. Wouldnt that have been much better used to have fed several million hungry Chinese poor people that have to live on a couple dollars per day?And how about spending some of that on cleaning up the huge amount of pollution China pumps into the atmosphere daily? They are one of the worst trangressers in the world when it comes to pollution, and dont seem to really give a damn about it, but do seem to care much more about putting on the most expensive opening ceremony in history by 10 x more than ever before. I just dont get it. Their priorities are obviously way out of whack, so tell me why we are applauding it??? because aside from the use of force, assimilation into a democratic free society is done so through dialectic exchange of ideas, thoughts and commerce. You want to change China, let them see for themselves the benefit. If all nations prioritized with good intentions rather than benificiary, their would be no divisions. We don't exactly have our priorities straight in the world either and have done our fair share of supporting regimes with less than stellar human rights records..approaching China with a mightier than thou arrogance won't get us any where.

Necks_Fan
08-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
AMEN!!!
Astros beat the Reds tonight!:) True dat.....

I have no interest in the olympics...... Go Astros!

DDBooger
08-09-2008, 11:21 AM
i'll be watching...
Basketball
track and field
Soccer(why not, its still pretty cool to see nations array against each other)
Swimming
Wrestling
Gymnastics is OK(at risk of breaking man law)

Necks_Fan
08-09-2008, 11:25 AM
The only one I MIGHT watch is US men's basketball kill the competition.

DDBooger
08-09-2008, 11:27 AM
baseball is still a sport this year i think?

Necks_Fan
08-09-2008, 11:30 AM
baseball is still a sport this year i think? I don't think so..... I thought it got banned with softball...

wimbo_pro
08-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Stang Red...

I understand your point(s), but one thing stands out as incorrect. China definitely is on the way to being the single largest polluter in the world....but they arent there yet...that "honor" belongs to us. Now, having been to China several times, I agree that it is absolutely scary what they are doing to the environment...its plain to see when you are there....but as of today, they dont pump out the pollutants that we do in total numbers. That will soon change, however.

But my main point is this...It's the Olympics, man!!! Let loose and enjoy it for what it is intended. Give them their due and hope that this allows us to have a better relationship with them so we can have a bigger influence on the direction they take in the future.

wimbo_pro
08-09-2008, 11:34 AM
baseball is still a sport this year i think?

Yes, Baseball and Softball are medal sports this year...possibly for the last time. Thats why China has had a baseball team here in the U.S. for the last 4 years, trying to learn the sport. I hear they are decent.

Necks_Fan
08-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Yes, Baseball and Softball are medal sports this year...possibly for the last time. Thats why China has had a baseball team here in the U.S. for the last 4 years, trying to learn the sport. I hear they are decent. Hm, I thought they got banned for this olympics.... Oh well....

wimbo_pro
08-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Baseball kicks off Tuesday. I think the USA plays on Wednesday vs. S. Korea.

STANG RED
08-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
You act like our priorities are not out of whack in general

I'll gladly have that discussion with you, and yes much of ours is, but I thought this thread was about the opening ceremonies.

STANG RED
08-09-2008, 12:06 PM
because aside from the use of force, assimilation into a democratic free society is done so through dialectic exchange of ideas, thoughts and commerce. You want to change China, let them see for themselves the benefit. If all nations prioritized with good intentions rather than benificiary, their would be no divisions. We don't exactly have our priorities straight in the world either and have done our fair share of supporting regimes with less than stellar human rights records..approaching China with a mightier than thou arrogance won't get us any where.

Sorry but I just dont see how anything you just said gives any justification for them spending $300,000,000.00 for an way over the top dog and pony show, rather than use most of that for something truely beneficial to their society.
It was a great show, and I applaud their efforts. But come on $300,000,000.00????????????????? Lets get real here people. When you consider all the good that can be done with that in that society, it is just insane to spend that kind of money on an opening ceremony to the Olympics.
And yes, the USA has lots of screwed up priorities, but that is not what this thread is about.

wimbo_pro
08-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Sorry but I just dont see how anything you just said gives any justification for them spending $300,000,000.00 for an way over the top dog and pony show, rather than use most of that for something truely beneficial to their society.
It was a great show, and I applaud their efforts. But come on $300,000,000.00????????????????? Lets get real here people. When you consider all the good that can be done with that in that society, it is just insane to spend that kind of money on an opening ceremony to the Olympics.
And yes, the USA has lots of screwed up priorities, but that is not what this thread is about.

Is your concern really about the money? I have a feeling its more about the fact that they are Communist China than it is about how much money they spent.

STANG RED
08-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Is your concern really about the money? I have a feeling its more about the fact that they are Communist China than it is about how much money they spent.

Oh good greif, I give up.:mad:
I said what I meant, and meant what I said. never once mentioned Communist!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I'm the only one that can see much better uses for $300,000,000.00 than some over the top light show.:confused:

wimbo_pro
08-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Oh good greif, I give up.:mad:
I said what I meant, and meant what I said. never once mentioned Communist!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I'm the only one that can see much better uses for $300,000,000.00 than some over the top light show.:confused:

I know you didnt say anything about Communism...you first said it was the money..then their human rights..then their pollution...then the money again. You are all over the place, so I assumed it had to be more than any of the above.

But you're right...let move on. Enjoy it for the sports!!!

Trashman
08-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Stang Red...

I understand your point(s), but one thing stands out as incorrect. China definitely is on the way to being the single largest polluter in the world....but they arent there yet...that "honor" belongs to us. Now, having been to China several times, I agree that it is absolutely scary what they are doing to the environment...its plain to see when you are there....but as of today, they dont pump out the pollutants that we do in total numbers. That will soon change, however.

But my main point is this...It's the Olympics, man!!! Let loose and enjoy it for what it is intended. Give them their due and hope that this allows us to have a better relationship with them so we can have a bigger influence on the direction they take in the future.

Don't give a rip about the opening of the olympics. It's all smoke and mirrors for the real china to hide behind.

Saying that they have made human rights progress is the same as saying a drunk driver is making progress because he hasn't killed anybody in the last 24 hours. They are communist, you are not allowed to choose; your level of education, career field, where you live, your friends or to peacefully assemble, protest, travel from one area of the country to the another without permission from the government.

Do any of you remember Tienaman Square? Look at Beijing and then try to prove to me that we polute more than China. The air is so thick you can cut it with a knife. I have never seen a US City with that level of polution. Thanks for letting me vent:D

sweetwater07
08-09-2008, 10:34 PM

sweetwater red, whats the news on the stangs this year?? i haven't heard too much about them this preseason..i assume the tough district has everyone a little hesitant to make expectations??

Matthew328
08-09-2008, 11:50 PM
I thought the opeinin cermonies were tremendous.....since we are just talking about the opening ceremonies right?

Emerson1
08-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Coack K needs to tell CP3 that you can't flop in the olympics

wimbo_pro
08-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Trashman
Don't give a rip about the opening of the olympics. It's all smoke and mirrors for the real china to hide behind.

Saying that they have made human rights progress is the same as saying a drunk driver is making progress because he hasn't killed anybody in the last 24 hours. They are communist, you are not allowed to choose; your level of education, career field, where you live, your friends or to peacefully assemble, protest, travel from one area of the country to the another without permission from the government.

Do any of you remember Tienaman Square? Look at Beijing and then try to prove to me that we polute more than China. The air is so thick you can cut it with a knife. I have never seen a US City with that level of polution. Thanks for letting me vent:D

There has been great progress Trashman...this is undeniable. Your claims in your statement are mostly no longer true...you are speaking of a China 20 and 30 years ago. You might not believe that this is true, but it is, in fact, true.

Regarding the pollution...it is also a well documented FACT that we, as a country, put more pollutants into the atmosphere than does China. Of course this is because we are so much more developed than they are...and this will change in a few years...but nonetheless, it is TRUE. Look it up. We would agree, however, that they are tremendous polluters..you should also see India!!!

Regarding the human rights part of your statement...not recognizing their efforts and progress while preaching to them when we have our own abuses (to a lesser degree, but violations nonetheless) right here in this country could be considered...well...hypocritical. This is NOT to say we shouldnt keep the pressure on them, its to say we arent perfect either.

Old Tiger
08-10-2008, 01:02 PM
on the Mexican channel. Its much more exciting to hear. Instead of the monotone US broadcasters.

Emerson1
08-10-2008, 01:17 PM
With whatever rating they use for pollution warnings and stuff Beijing and some other US Cities were the same the day of opening ceremonies.

They were all under red, or bad, or don't breathe you will die

Old Tiger
08-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I thought the opeinin cermonies were tremendous.....since we are just talking about the opening ceremonies right? no crap....some people just need to quit being so anal

wimbo_pro
08-10-2008, 01:38 PM
no crap....some people just need to quit being so anal

you're right...sorry for getting off topic. Go U.S.A!!!!!!!

sahen
08-10-2008, 02:21 PM
do they actually pull for their teams instead of acting excited when other countries beat us or have somethign good happen to them? that has to be the most annoying thing to me, when the announcers do a broadcast in the US i want them to be partial when its 2 league teams but for crying out loud be biased at the olympics, its our country!

Old Tiger
08-10-2008, 02:28 PM
true ture....

I don't know what they say it just sounds so much more exciting.

wimbo_pro
08-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by sahen
do they actually pull for their teams instead of acting excited when other countries beat us or have somethign good happen to them? that has to be the most annoying thing to me, when the announcers do a broadcast in the US i want them to be partial when its 2 league teams but for crying out loud be biased at the olympics, its our country!

Exactly!! I want them excited when we do well and disappointed when we don't...it comes across as fake when they seem so impartial.

Necks_Fan
08-10-2008, 10:11 PM
China 8 (6 Gold)

US 8 (2 Gold) ?

Old Tiger
08-10-2008, 10:20 PM
USA(10) - 2/4/4
China(8) - 6/2

NewYorkYankee
08-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Katie hoff just won silver so thats makes 10 for USA

Matthew328
08-10-2008, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
China 8 (6 Gold)

US 8 (2 Gold) ?

it's still early..I imagine the US will rack up the gold on the track....don't think China fares well in track

Old Tiger
08-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
it's still early..I imagine the US will rack up the gold on the track....don't think China fares well in track I think they only have a hurdler in the 110s

STANG RED
08-10-2008, 11:15 PM
I think they only have a hurdler in the 110s

Seems like they have a couple women that are expected to do well also, but I think thats about it.
But it looks like they will pretty well own diving, and will probobly win several golds and just lots of medals period in gymnastics with both the men and women, especially the women. But the Americans are looking good, and should sneak in there for several themselves.

Old Tiger
08-10-2008, 11:18 PM
they'll medal in gymnastics and table tennis

lion75
08-10-2008, 11:23 PM
U.S. 11 , 3-4-4
China 8, 6-2

Necks_Fan
08-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by lion75
U.S. 11 , 3-4-4
China 8, 6-2 since when is "pride" pronounced "prahyde"?

:thinking:

navscanmaster
08-11-2008, 02:10 AM
since when is "pride" pronounced "prahyde"?

:doh:

Necks_Fan
08-11-2008, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
:doh: :confused:

Phil C
08-11-2008, 09:49 AM
They get excited on everything. That is expected of them. They get excited on a play even when the event is one sided.

sahen
08-11-2008, 11:34 AM
China 14, 9-3-2
USA 12, 3-4-5

China racking up on obscure sports like air rifle/pistol, archery...all but 3 of our medals are from swimming, I think we will be ok as long as we stay close to China until track and field starts, we can really bring in the medals in those sports...

DDBooger
08-11-2008, 11:42 AM
China 14, 9-3-2
USA 12, 3-4-5

China racking up on obscure sports like air rifle/pistol, archery...all but 3 of our medals are from swimming, I think we will be ok as long as we stay close to China until track and field starts, we can really bring in the medals in those sports... i should have subscribed to OSQ
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c268/FCarrejo/osq.jpg

AP Panther Fan
08-11-2008, 12:00 PM
China 14, 9-3-2
USA 12, 3-4-5

China racking up on obscure sports like air rifle/pistol, archery...all but 3 of our medals are from swimming, I think we will be ok as long as we stay close to China until track and field starts, we can really bring in the medals in those sports...

While watching the Opening ceremonies Friday night, the commentators mentioned that China has analyzed which sports/events they need to compete in to maximize the number of medals they will receive.

Seems to be working.

sahen
08-11-2008, 12:12 PM
While watching the Opening ceremonies Friday night, the commentators mentioned that China has analyzed which sports/events they need to compete in to maximize the number of medals they will receive.

Seems to be working.

it is the same sports they always medal in...the announcers all puzzle me, i think NBC wants China to have more medals than us this olympics...we beat them by 40 medals last olympics 103-63, for them to beat us this year they'd have to almost double their amount of medals or have us choke big time....increasing your medal count by that much is pretty much impossible, yet no NBC announcer seems to want to add that little gem to the conversation...

lion75
08-11-2008, 12:43 PM
since when is "pride" pronounced "prahyde"?

:thinking: That was taken directly from the dictionary. I believe it was Random House. The h would be silent

lion75
08-11-2008, 09:30 PM
make it 3

IHStangFan
08-11-2008, 09:34 PM
That dude is awesome. He is the "Tiger Woods" of the modern day Olympics.

STANG RED
08-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Not only Phelps, the USA is just kicking butt and taking names in the pool. Lots of great performances by several Americans so far, and many more expected.

Diocletian
08-11-2008, 10:43 PM
The media put alot of pressure on this kid.. and he has performed great so far. He is for sure a true champion.

orange machine
08-11-2008, 11:03 PM
watch it will pobably be found that he is a doper. I hope ot, but you never know.

STANG RED
08-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
watch it will pobably be found that he is a doper. I hope ot, but you never know.

They would have already caught it, if he were. They are tested within minutes from exiting the pool, so he has already been tested multiple times.

orange machine
08-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Good im glad to hear that.

eagles_victory
08-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
watch it will pobably be found that he is a doper. I hope ot, but you never know. pretty sad a guy works to be a great champ and people want to accuse him of doping guess thats just the world we live in.

orange machine
08-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
pretty sad a guy works to be a great champ and people want to accuse him of doping guess thats just the world we live in.

I was not trying to accuse him of anything. I was just making comment. I think its great what he has done and it proves that you dont have to take performance drugs to make you better. I :clap: what he has done, he is a true iron man in my opinion.

c-town_balla
08-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Phepls Tyson Gay and a woman in the 200m all singed up to be tested mutilble times a week to prove that they are clean

Old Tiger
08-12-2008, 04:05 AM
That dude is awesome. He is the "Tiger Woods" of the modern day Olympics. I say Tiger Woods is the "Michael Phelps" of golf ;)

charlesrixey
08-12-2008, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
Phepls Tyson Gay and a woman in the 200m all singed up to be tested mutilble times a week to prove that they are clean

yep

i believe he, along with dara torres (a female 41 year old swimmer) and a few others have signed up to have their blood/urine frozen, so that way it can be tested years later when other tests have been designed

Phil C
08-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
yep

i believe he, along with dara torres (a female 41 year old swimmer) and a few others have signed up to have their blood/urine frozen, so that way it can be tested years later when other tests have been designed

Right you are charlesrixey!

Phil C
08-12-2008, 11:33 AM
He won it in Shooting for Men's Double Trap (150 targets)! Way to go Glenn! GO USA!

Phil C
08-12-2008, 11:35 AM
By the way Glenn is from Katy, Texas! Great shooting Glen!

Phil C
08-12-2008, 11:54 AM
I am not sure what time they start but be sure to keep your eye on the Chinese women and see if you don't think some of them are under 16. That has been rumored and is said to be well known in China. If so the rules have been broken because no one under 16 can compete in the Olympics in Gymnastics.

The rule was made because it was said that younger bodies have an advantage in this sport. Don't get me wrong because I think the rule is wrong and should never have been made but nevertheless it has been made and the countries are supposed to abide by them and you would think that the host country would especially be careful. If you watch see what you think.

Phil C
08-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
By the way Glenn is from Katy, Texas! Great shooting Glen!

Also I had overlooked that Glenn had set an olympic record in this event with a 190 score and finished 3 points ahead of his nearest competitor.

lion75
08-12-2008, 12:23 PM
I am not sure what time they start but be sure to keep your eye on the Chinese women and see if you don't think some of them are under 16. That has been rumored and is said to be well known in China. If so the rules have been broken because no one under 16 can compete in the Olympics in Gymnastics.

The rule was made because it was said that younger bodies have an advantage in this sport. Don't get me wrong because I think the rule is wrong and should never have been made but nevertheless it has been made and the countries are supposed to abide by them and you would think that the host country would especially be careful. If you watch see what you think. Our coach (Koralli or whatever his name is ) has been verbally blasting China for this. The IOC says that they have no way to police it. The girl's provincial birth records show that one is 12 and one is 14.

Lion_Addict
08-12-2008, 01:21 PM
What's getting me is all the world records being broken in the swimming :eek: . Think it's the new suits that have something to do with it or do ya think the athletes have just really stepped up the training and really gotten that much stronger? Just curious what others thought :thinking: .

sahen
08-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Lion_Addict
What's getting me is all the world records being broken in the swimming :eek: . Think it's the new suits that have something to do with it or do ya think the athletes have just really stepped up the training and really gotten that much stronger? Just curious what others thought :thinking: .

the suits help but when you break world records by more than just tenths it aint just the suit...the athletes are just that much better now i think...

sahen
08-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Medal Update After Day 4:

USA 22 (7-7-8)
China 20 (13-3-4)
South Korea 12 (5-6-1)

Lion_Addict
08-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Gotta say...... I'm enjoying some of that ladies beach vollyball too; mmm mmm mmm :D ;)

Phil C
08-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Our coach (Koralli or whatever his name is ) has been verbally blasting China for this. The IOC says that they have no way to police it. The girl's provincial birth records show that one is 12 and one is 14.

The Coach that has been doing it is an ex coach though he has a legitimate gripe. There was an article that the Chinese had part of the opening ceremonies faked and now this below. There is nothing wrong with what they did but it should have been told in the first place that the singer was mimicing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=ap-china-lip-synchedsong&prov=ap&type=lgns

injuredinmelee
08-12-2008, 10:38 PM
I havent paid much attention to it so far but after just watching the 2oom Freestyle men break the World Record by 5 seconds, teamed with Phelps 5 Gold Medals so far all WR's is this pool like crazy fast or can pools even be fast?

lion75
08-13-2008, 12:28 AM
The Coach that has been doing it is an ex coach though he has a legitimate gripe. There was an article that the Chinese had part of the opening ceremonies faked and now this below. There is nothing wrong with what they did but it should have been told in the first place that the singer was mimicing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=ap-china-lip-synchedsong&prov=ap&type=lgns Between the fake fireworks and the fake singing girl, the Chinese have become the first country to actually cheat in the opening ceremony.

Old Tiger
08-13-2008, 02:45 AM
Olympic Medal Count(2:45 AM CST)

1. USA(27) - 10/8/9
2. China(23) - 16/3/5
3. Korea(12) - 5/6/1
3a. Australia(12) - 4/2/6

China is still killing the gold medal count

JR2004
08-13-2008, 03:23 AM
Our coach (Koralli or whatever his name is ) has been verbally blasting China for this. The IOC says that they have no way to police it. The girl's provincial birth records show that one is 12 and one is 14.

Just looking at those girls, there is no way they are 16. I believe those provincial birth records are the accurate ones. The IOC may not be able to fix things, but just for kicks they should stick an asterisk next to any medals won by those whose age can be verified to be under 16.

Phil C
08-13-2008, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
Just looking at those girls, there is no way they are 16. I believe those provincial birth records are the accurate ones. The IOC may not be able to fix things, but just for kicks they should stick an asterisk next to any medals won by those whose age can be verified to be under 16.

JR they had a forensic expert and she examined photos and concluded they were under 16. These experts are good in that they can look at a dead skull and can do a good job determining what he/she looked like before death.
I still think it is a wrong foolish rule in that if someone 7 years old can win they should be allowed to do so but since it is a rule it should apply to everyone.
Actually we did good anyway taking the silver. I thought that last girl that feel down twice cost us the silver and possible even a medal.
I don't know if the IOC can do anything but China's integrity has been compromised with all that has been going on. Hopefully Japan may someday catch them like they did Taiwan cheating in Little League Baseball.

injuredinmelee
08-13-2008, 08:24 AM
anyone?

jason
08-13-2008, 08:37 AM
i think water is water - he is just that good....

what gets me is in the relay the other night, 5 of the teams broke the (at the time) world record, thats nuts.....

injuredinmelee
08-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by jason
i think water is water - he is just that good....

what gets me is in the relay the other night, 5 of the teams broke the (at the time) world record, thats nuts.....

He is def fast! Very impressive games for him.

sinfan75
08-13-2008, 08:56 AM
i heard em say the suits they wear helps. some type of material developed by NASA. don't ask how it works cause i don't know but it helps go through water faster

DDBooger
08-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by sinfan75
i heard em say the suits they wear helps. some type of material developed by NASA. don't ask how it works cause i don't know but it helps go through water faster that and the width and depth of the pool gives it a flatter surface rather or something, caught the end of it. Who cares, great race!! Go Phelps! witnessing history!

sinfan75
08-13-2008, 09:06 AM
yea that was the other part of it i heard just couldn't think of it. those durn suits are like $300 apiece.

STANG RED
08-13-2008, 09:28 AM
I dont know if it would make any or much difference but I'm guessing the hardness of the water might make a slight difference. And when they are measuring times in 100ths of a second, any little thing could make a difference, especially in a lengthy relay race like that one last night. It's not just Phelps breaking WRs. Seems like almost every race has the winner and sometimes a couple others breaking the previous WR. Maybe the suits alone are making that much difference. You can bet the suits are here to stay, after seeing what is happening.

BreckTxLonghorn
08-13-2008, 09:30 AM
The suits have two big factors working for them.

1) They fit almost like a powerlifting suit. Obviously not that tight, but most swimmers talk about how uncomfortable they are, and you'll notice the guys immediately unzip after a race. By squeezing in the body mass, there is less resistance in the water.
2) (Most important) There are grooves in the suits for the water to essentially bounce off or flow through much, much quicker. The increased flow causes a buoyancy (sp?) and helps keep the swimmer at the top area of the water, thus letting the swimmer spend more of the energy on the race instead of 'survival' (VERY basic way of putting it). The grooves also provide a significant amount less resistance, whic also makes it easier to swim forward.

They're extremely useful, but could definitely be argued as a significant advantage than the swimmers even 10 years ago.

waterboy
08-13-2008, 09:41 AM

The rule was made because it was said that younger bodies have an advantage in this sport. Don't get me wrong because I think the rule is wrong and should never have been made but nevertheless it has been made and the countries are supposed to abide by them and you would think that the host country would especially be careful. If you watch see what you think.
Before I even read this I was thinking about that very thing. None of those girls look to be 16 years old. I know sometimes looks are deceiving, but these girls look to be anywhere from about 12 to 14 years old. I think it's obvious they are no where near the age of 16, which the rules state they must be to compete. The sad part is nothing will be done about China breaking this rule. IMO, it's just as important as doping, because cheating is cheating. If it were the United States' gymnasts that were skirting that rule the whole world would be crying foul. Am I right, or am I right??

Emerson1
08-13-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
Before I even read this I was thinking about that very thing. None of those girls look to be 16 years old. I know sometimes looks are deceiving, but these girls look to be anywhere from about 12 to 14 years old. I think it's obvious they are no where near the age of 16, which the rules state they must be to compete. The sad part is nothing will be done about China breaking this rule. IMO, it's just as important as doping, because cheating is cheating. If it were the United States' gymnasts that were skirting that rule the whole world would be crying foul. Am I right, or am I right??
I don't think there is anyway to prove it. The guy that was yelling about it on TV made the point that China controls their passports and can change birth records. I don't think they would let their real birth certificate out to the public.

waterboy
08-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I don't think there is anyway to prove it. The guy that was yelling about it on TV made the point that China controls their passports and can change birth records. I don't think they would let their real birth certificate out to the public.
True. That's one HUGE advantage to having a Communist regime. All information about any person is controlled by the government, and can and will be falsified if the need arises.:thmbdwn:

Emerson1
08-13-2008, 10:08 AM
True. That's one HUGE advantage to having a Communist regime. All information about any person is controlled by the government, and can and will be falsified if the need arises.:thmbdwn:
I think every gov could do that

DDBooger
08-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I think every gov could do that yup, less to do with communism than to do with totalitarianism regimes which can be found in capitalist, communist, monarchial, junta, hell any govt lol.

Phil C
08-13-2008, 11:17 AM

You are right waterboy. I wonder what would have happened if the the situation were reversed and the USA used underage athletes to win the gold.

AP Panther Fan
08-13-2008, 11:32 AM
The most obvious offender of the age rule was their second athlete. It was like they slapped a bunch of blue eye shadow on her to make her look older. It is rather disgusting that they are basically saying "in your face" IOC.

Phil C...from everything that I have heard, the younger gymnists have a great advantage to the older girls because of their flexibility and body development or lack thereof.

Pretty sad.

sahen
08-13-2008, 11:36 AM

Phil C...from everything that I have heard, the younger gymnists have a great advantage to the older girls because of their flexibility and body development or lack thereof.

Pretty sad.

not to mention when you are smaller you are closer to the ground thus have a lower center of gravity...just like when i was 10 i could do a cart wheel but now if i tried that i'd fall on my rear end and look foolish, probably hurt something too but thats beside the point....

sahen
08-13-2008, 11:44 AM
China is still killing the gold medal count

they win all the diving events...i think we will make a run at their gold medal count once track starts and make it closer but i dunno if we can pass them in gold medals...

Medal Count after Day 5

USA 29 (10-8-11)
China 27 (17-5-5)
South Korea 13 (6-6-1)

Good news for us is Track and Field starts on Day 7 (Thurs. night in USA) and we are still on top of the medal count even without any of those events...

sahen
08-13-2008, 11:52 AM
the thing is they arent just breaking world records in many cases they are shattering them (as has been happening over the swimming world the whole year)...the swim suits are helping but you are talking about giving them an extra tenth or two at most, when you break world records by seconds then the athlete is just that much better than the last guy....

in Phelps' case he is a freak of an athlete, in most races he is breaking his own world record and he owns the top 5-10 fastest times in history...in some cases no one is within 1 or 2 seconds of him...that definitely aint just a suit...

mistanice
08-13-2008, 12:10 PM
OUCH! :(

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=33a_1218642189&p=1

Highschoolfan78
08-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Those British announcers add to it.. Thats terrrrible.. That guy is having a bad day.

CHS_89
08-13-2008, 12:32 PM
OWWWWEEEEE! Was it an elbow or his shoulder? That turns my stomach!

AP Panther Fan
08-13-2008, 01:05 PM
the thing is they arent just breaking world records in many cases they are shattering them (as has been happening over the swimming world the whole year)...the swim suits are helping but you are talking about giving them an extra tenth or two at most, when you break world records by seconds then the athlete is just that much better than the last guy....

in Phelps' case he is a freak of an athlete, in most races he is breaking his own world record and he owns the top 5-10 fastest times in history...in some cases no one is within 1 or 2 seconds of him...that definitely aint just a suit...

Agreed. I think the athletes are getting better and the new and improved suits and swimming facilities are helping too. They were talking about the pools now having some sort of overflow system that reduces turbulence in the water and the new lane dividers are now constructed to disperse the splash more effectively and therefore, reduce resistance in the water.

I think it is a combination of all of the above. :)

Phil C
08-14-2008, 09:09 AM
Lance Armstrong's daughter Kristin won the gold medal in the women's cycling time trial in the olympics. Way to go Kristin! :clap:

Phil C
08-14-2008, 10:01 AM
As of right now China is one medal ahead of the USA at 35 to 34. China has 22 gold, 8 silver and 5 bronze and the USA has 10 gold, 9 silver and 15 bronze. We will probably overtake China for the overal medals but probably not overall gold medal count even though I think we will close the gap. Good grief - our women's fencing team won 1, 2 and 3 in the individual events but only got bronze in the team event. This would ordinarily be exciting but in this case it is a disappointment and another gold we let get away. Thank goodness in the team finals Ukraine was able to beat China by one point to keep China from having another gold.

Old Tiger
08-14-2008, 10:13 AM
The US basketball team was dominant against the Greeks this morning 92-69. Right now James Blake is beating the soon to be #2 in the world Roger Federer.

Medal Count as of 10:15 AM CST
1. China(35) - 22/8/5
2. USA(34) - 10/9/15
3. Korea(16) - 6/7/3
3a. Australia(16) - 5/4/7

Txbroadcaster
08-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Lance Armstrong's daughter Kristin won the gold medal in the women's cycling time trial in the olympics. Way to go Kristin! :clap:

Seeing as she was born in 73..and Lance was born in 71..Means he was 2 when he fathered her?!!

She is not related in anyway to Lance

Phil C
08-14-2008, 10:34 AM
Seeing as she was born in 73..and Lance was born in 71..Means he was 2 when he fathered her?!!

Oops!

(Of course it must be understood that I was misled of the facts.)

Old Tiger
08-14-2008, 10:35 AM
James Blake defeats Roger Federer to move to the semi-finals
6-4 6-7

Phil C
08-14-2008, 10:36 AM
James Blake defeats Roger Federer to move to the semi-finals
6-4 6-7

Too bad Serena got beat. She used to be fantastic but I think she has developed outside interest that has affected her tennis.

wimbo_pro
08-14-2008, 10:37 AM

Using the Chinese method for calculating age, this could indeed be possible.

Phil C
08-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Using the Chinese method for calculating age, this could indeed be possible.

Outstanding one! :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

Phil C
08-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Come on USA athletes! You've worked too hard for these chances in the olympics. Stop blowing opportunities to get medals especially the gold. Go! Go! Go!

http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Old_School=composure.wav

Phil C
08-14-2008, 11:30 AM
I know there has been some negativity on the Chinese lately and I have been a part of it but I do want to give credit to them where credit is too. They crowds there show great sportsmanship and cheer everyone there. Of course they want their athletes to win and they cheer loudly for them but they are very polite and cheer for everyone's efforts. Great sports indeed!
London and future olympics sites please take note.

Phil C
08-14-2008, 02:55 PM
In the immortal words of Phil C. "AYYEEEEEEEE CHIHUAHUA!"

:(

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/gymnastics/news?slug=ap-gym--underagechinese&prov=ap&type=lgns

Phil C
08-14-2008, 03:01 PM
The thing is that if the IOC does nothing about this if it is true which it probably is that they are not just cheating the USA out of a gold medal but maybe Romania out of the silver and Russian out of the bronze. This is a bad and sad situation.

"I am depressed." said the Sinton GodFather while on his way to the snack bar for a cup of coffee.

wimbo_pro
08-14-2008, 03:40 PM
I have a few Chinese friends there in Beijing that I have emailed those articles about under aged Chinese gymnasts. Of course they can search a bit and find info about it on the net that hasnt been blocked by the government yet, but as you know the average Chinese doesnt yet have the ability to do this (I know, I know...some of you would say "See!!!"...I say the fact that some of them CAN find the articles versus NONE of them like a few years ago is a great step in the right direction...which has been my point all along).

Anyways, 2 of them said they had heard about this but only know what the media is saying, but are waiting to learn more. One of them says he believes its made up by the western media to take away from China's success...he used the example of the boy Yao Ming carried in the stadium who was NINE...you gotta admit the boy looked 6 years old. I agreed with that point.

However, I pointed out that the state run media hadnt printed articles about that boy 1 and 2 years ago, giving his age at a different date. He hasnt responded yet.

Old Tiger
08-14-2008, 04:03 PM
can we move on from that and just talk about sports :)

wimbo_pro
08-14-2008, 04:23 PM
can we move on from that and just talk about sports :)

Of course...We will catch up with the Chinese in the run for the gold...you wait and see!!!

DDBooger
08-14-2008, 04:25 PM
track and field :cool:

Phil C
08-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Don't underestimate the Chinese in track and field. They probably have lots of athletes who have trained secretly and will spring them on the world soon.

kaorder1999
08-14-2008, 04:44 PM
once track and field begins (which is today i think) the US will blow past the Chinese.

wimbo_pro
08-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
once track and field begins (which is today i think) the US will blow past the Chinese.

Not sure about "blow past" them...but I DO think we will catch them...and with a little luck...pass them in the Gold count.

kaorder1999
08-14-2008, 04:46 PM
begins tomorrow actually...

sahen
08-14-2008, 04:54 PM

Track and Field begins tonight....

http://www.nbcolympics.com/trackandfield/index.html

sahen
08-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Not sure about "blow past" them...but I DO think we will catch them...and with a little luck...pass them in the Gold count.

we will probably blow past them in total medals, catching them in gold will be another story, it looks like they will end up beating us there, but who knows we aren't even halfway done...

Ranger Mom
08-14-2008, 04:56 PM

So is tomorrow there today here??:crazy1: :confused:

Old Tiger
08-14-2008, 04:57 PM
So is tomorrow there today here??:crazy1: :confused: some would say it's their day here ;)

sahen
08-14-2008, 04:58 PM
So is tomorrow there today here??:crazy1: :confused:

Friday morning in Beijing or 8 PM tonight our time (they are 13 hours ahead of us), the Women's Heptathlon 100m Hurdles starts it off....

wimbo_pro
08-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Friday morning in Beijing or 8 PM tonight our time (they are 13 hours ahead of us), the Women's Heptathlon 100m Hurdles starts it off....

Yes, 13 hours ahead...14 hours ahead in the winter cuz they dont use daylight savings. Plus, ALL of China has one time zone...a country as big and as wide as the U.S. ...and its all one time zone....some places in the west, the sun doesnt go down till almost 11pm!!

Necks_Fan
08-14-2008, 09:53 PM
nm.

wimbo_pro
08-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Phelps is probably going to be responsible for almost 20% of all of our Gold Medals!!!

shankbear
08-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Made all the others look like kids

Necks_Fan
08-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
Made all the others look like kids Yea, he's rediculous.

DU_stud04
08-14-2008, 10:02 PM
apparently ocho cinco and some random dudes in philly can beat him...... its true...

Diocletian
08-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
apparently ocho cinco and some random dudes in philly can beat him...... its true...

I'd pay to see that race. It would be very entertaining.

Even though we all know what would happen.

sahen
08-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Medal Count after Day 7

USA 46 (14-13-19)
China 41 (26-9-6)
Australia 20 (5-7-8)

I thought we were gonna make up some ground in the gold medal race but the Chinese keep bringing in the golds in weightlifting, winning every event yesterday...only good news about that is they only have 4 more weighlifting events left and 4 more diving events...it will be interesting now that track has started but i think we are too far behind in gold medals, synchronised diving and weight lifting are gonna be our downfalls (12 of China's 26 golds)

wimbo_pro
08-15-2008, 11:40 AM
I am watching the Men's 100M...two of our qualified runners are Tyson Gay and Walter Dix.

With any luck, we will have a Gay/Dix duo in the finals.

I hope its broadcast after hours.

sahen
08-15-2008, 12:06 PM
I am watching the Men's 100M...two of our qualified runners are Tyson Gay and Walter Dix.

With any luck, we will have a Gay/Dix duo in the finals.

I hope its broadcast after hours.

dont tell what happens w/o a spoiler alert on it, i think they ran the qualifers yesterday or early this morning our time and im pretty sure they are showing it in primetime!

wimbo_pro
08-15-2008, 12:59 PM
dont tell what happens w/o a spoiler alert on it, i think they ran the qualifers yesterday or early this morning our time and im pretty sure they are showing it in primetime!

No worry...I would never be a spoiler when it comes to a Gay/Dix showdown.:D

sahen
08-15-2008, 01:09 PM
No worry...I would never be a spoiler when it comes to a Gay/Dix showdown.:D

lol thanks...the 100m final is gonna be run live in primetime (USA primetime, so china's morning) tomorrow, thats good to see...

kaorder1999
08-15-2008, 10:17 PM
that dude just jogged the last 40 meters and ran a 9.92.....

WOW

Necks_Fan
08-15-2008, 10:20 PM

WOW I saw that and was just going to post about it.

Wow. That is insane.

He was looking around and just kinda jogging out the last 20 and ran a 9.92...... Good Lord.

trojan37
08-15-2008, 10:22 PM
can you say......STEROIDS!:D

Necks_Fan
08-15-2008, 10:26 PM
can you say......STEROIDS!:D Nah, the Jamaicans are whipping up on us in the 100M.

Lol. Did ya'll see that Chinese guy? That wiped me out man, and those high shorts......:doh:

DU_stud04
08-15-2008, 10:28 PM
how's their bobsled team doing? :)

popcorn screen
08-15-2008, 10:43 PM
That guy is so fast he sucked the paper cups out of the stadium. I predict 3 guys to go under 9.8:2thumbsup

Old Tiger
08-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Actually it was yesterday when he ran that ;)

popcorn screen
08-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Yes, but today they actually showed it on the tele

Necks_Fan
08-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by popcorn screen
Yes, but today they actually showed it on the tele Yea, whatever though. Point is, we just watched him stomp them other folks.

Additup
08-16-2008, 05:32 AM
can you say......STEROIDS!:D
I can say 6'5"

JR2004
08-16-2008, 06:00 AM

WOW

Wouldn't it be fun to be Bolt for just a day just to see how it feels to run so fast that you can jog the last 40 and still turn in a sub 10 time?

Old Tiger
08-16-2008, 06:04 AM
the finals in the 100m is going to be the best race EVER

kaorder1999
08-16-2008, 07:21 AM
I dont think it will be much of a race. I see Gay getting the bronze. I think Bolt will blow the field away.

DDBooger
08-16-2008, 07:24 AM
I think Bolt can break 9.7 non wind aided. Gay did it at the olympic trials, but it was not recognized because it was wind aided. Bolt looks strong, I think he gets the gold.

kaorder1999
08-16-2008, 07:25 AM
I think Bolt can break 9.7 non wind aided. Gay did it at the olympic trials, but it was not recognized because it was wind aided. Bolt looks strong, I think he gets the gold.

I agree. My first comment last night after that qualifying round was...."that dude is going 9.6-something in the finals." He looks so comfortable out there. I think Gay is scared to death about his hamstring and isn't running well.

Buccaneer
08-16-2008, 08:16 AM
I dont think it will be much of a race. I see Gay getting the bronze. I think Bolt will blow the field away.

Gay didnt make the Finals!

Necks_Fan
08-16-2008, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Gay didnt make the Finals! I thought he did. He got 2nd in his heat.

He ran a 10.09 going all out though. Lol.

Pick6
08-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Gay fails to make 100m finals (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=Ahdrb80fzb5jqN1NHfvDyMhG2vAI;_ylu=X3oDMTFpbWZ zbjZwBGlpZANyMzkuTDg5TE94RDB4QVRuZnNiYzJRLS0Ebm9oA zUEcG9zAzIEcmlkA182NDE0/SIG=13to99msl/**http%3A//us.rd.yahoo.com/mymod/hdln/aprs/sty/*http%3A//news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080816/ap_on_sp_ol/oly_ath_track_and_field_24)

Buccaneer
08-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Bolt wins the Gold! 9.69

Buccaneer
08-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Walter Dix(US) won the bronze 9.91

Buccaneer
08-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Asafa Powell of Jamaica was fifth

DDBooger
08-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Bolt wins the Gold! 9.69 haha I called it, not that it was a miraculous prediction, coasting a 9.92, anyone could have predicted a sub 9.7

kaorder1999
08-16-2008, 10:30 AM
I thought he did. He got 2nd in his heat.

He ran a 10.09 going all out though. Lol.

that was in the 2nd round

kaorder1999
08-16-2008, 10:38 AM
I new it would be a blowout but I sure thought Gay would at least win a bronze. Good for Dix. Wow...

Pick6
08-16-2008, 01:37 PM
In the Olympics? What other unique events do they have that I've missed?

Looking4number8
08-16-2008, 01:41 PM
That sucks.. I cant believe they are keeping trampoline jumping and getting rid of softball and baseball...

Guess I just missed the boat on the tampoline craze!

Additup
08-16-2008, 01:47 PM
haha I called it, not that it was a miraculous prediction, coasting a 9.92, anyone could have predicted a sub 9.7
Msn.com said he ran the 9.69 even though on the last 7 strides his hands were outstretched appearing almost to run sideways as he played to the sold-out crowd.

Asked how much faster he could go if the display hadn't commenced with those seven strides remaining, Bolt responded, "I'm not even worried about that right now. I'm Olympic champion."

Matthew328
08-16-2008, 01:54 PM
This is actually the third olympics for trampoline

sahen
08-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Medal Standing After Day 8:

USA 54 (16-16-22)
China 47 (27-13-7)
Australia 25 (7-8-10)

Starting to put some distance between us and the Chinese in the total medal colum...gained 1 on them in gold...

wimbo_pro
08-16-2008, 04:49 PM
I predict we will catch them in the gold as well. It will be close!!!

GreenGobbla
08-16-2008, 04:56 PM
i think he could run a 9.59

sahen
08-16-2008, 05:26 PM
I predict we will catch them in the gold as well. It will be close!!!

we have track left for most of our golds...chinese still have weight lifting, diving, badminton, trampo-freakin-line, and ping pong...i hope we catch them but i doubt it, we should be fine in total medals....

Diocletian
08-16-2008, 05:43 PM
I think you'd be amazed at what you find watching the USA network at 4am...

Necks_Fan
08-16-2008, 06:45 PM
It showed today that Gay got 5th in some heat and that's why he didn't make the finals.

Old Tiger
08-16-2008, 08:23 PM
i think the hamstring bothered gay

popcorn screen
08-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Go Blue, your killing me....I would love to be her towel boy:inlove:

Necks_Fan
08-16-2008, 10:12 PM
The guy that did the freestyle, the 4th leg was awesome!!!!!!

IHStangFan
08-16-2008, 10:14 PM
We were watching....AMAZING....

Did you see the women before the guys? Our girls got 2nd, but they said Torres actually had a faster time than Tricket. The Aussies and our girls DECIMATED the rest of the field...it was silly.

Necks_Fan
08-16-2008, 10:15 PM
We were watching....AMAZING....

Did you see the women before the guys? Our girls got 2nd, but they said Torres actually had a faster time than Tricket. The Aussies and our girls DECIMATED the rest of the field...it was silly. We broke the old world record, and the aussies beat us.... Oh well....

Torres got 2 Silver Medals....

Necks_Fan
08-16-2008, 10:22 PM
This is crap to add this to another thread....

Phelps just had the single greatest performance at one olympics EVER and he can't even get his own thread to recognize it?

pirate4state
08-16-2008, 10:26 PM
This is crap to add this to another thread....

Phelps just had the single greatest performance at one olympics EVER and he can't even get his own thread to recognize it?

I'm sure he'll get over it! :rolleyes:

Necks_Fan
08-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I'm sure he'll get over it! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: at yourself....

44INAROW
08-16-2008, 11:04 PM
I was folding clothes this afternoon and watching the ladies Badminton Finals - China vs Japan - I was surprised how "into it" I was ;) China won the Gold. I tried to watch the men's water polo the other day but changed the channel - I was getting worn out just watching those guys!:doh:
Dusty Jonas from La Vernia is supposed to jump (high jump) tomorrow - his aunt said 7:30 AM our time but it was 8:30pm Chinese time - so she wasn't sure when or if it would be televised - that is the prelims.......... hope he makes the finals! He competed at the college level at Nebraska

kaorder1999
08-16-2008, 11:09 PM
oh my god that was unbelievable. He could run in the 9.5's

Additup
08-16-2008, 11:28 PM
I kept replaying it on Tivo...
Amazing domination and he's only 21 !!!
NBC said it'd have probably translated to 9.59 or over 30 mph if he'd have kept running.

Bull Butter
08-17-2008, 12:34 AM
Here's your 8th Gold Medal...................

Highschoolfan78
08-17-2008, 02:20 AM
Did these girls win the gold?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ8OuIkk77g&feature=related

Looking4number8
08-17-2008, 08:47 AM
And your $1,000,000 from Spedo!!

Lion_Addict
08-17-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm happy as a fly on a turd for him :speech: . He deserves every accolade and reward coming his way. Congrats to Mr. Phelps! :clap: :2thumbsup

zebrablue2
08-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Lion_Addict
I'm happy as a fly on a turd for him :speech: . He deserves every accolade and reward coming his way. Congrats to Mr. Phelps! :clap: :2thumbsup

except for the fly on the you know what...:ditto::clap: he is a stud.. enjoyed the week watching him in the water..

what a show he put on...

kaorder1999
08-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Jamaica is kicking everyones tail in the 100 meters in these olympics. They went 1, 2, 3 on the womens side...wow

Phil C
08-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Jamaica is kicking everyones tail in the 100 meters in these olympics. They went 1, 2, 3 on the womens side...wow

Man they can run.

Phil C
08-17-2008, 05:50 PM
What Michael Phelps has done is incredible but I (and I know this is selfish) feel he needs to go to one more Olympics in London in 2012. He has the record number of gold at 14 and 2 bronze for a total of 14. The 8 this year and the total 14 gold medals will probably stand for a long time but he is so close to the total number of medals.
Larissa Latynina the USSR gymnist has won a total of 18 medals in 1956, 60 & 64. Michael can beat that with three medals in 2012 and they wouldn't have to be gold. In fact I think he would have a good chance to get in the 20s and get a few more gold.
He is only 23 and will only be 27 in 2012. Remember Gary Hall Jr. was almost 30 and he got another gold medal for us in Athens.
Great job Michael but let's go for that other record!

Necks_Fan
08-17-2008, 06:02 PM
What Michael Phelps has done is incredible but I (and I know this is selfish) feel he needs to go to one more Olympics in London in 2012. He has the record number of gold at 14 and 2 bronze for a total of 14. The 8 this year and the total 14 gold medals will probably stand for a long time but he is so close to the total number of medals.
Larissa Latynina the USSR gymnist has won a total of 18 medals in 1956, 60 & 64. Michael can beat that with three medals in 2012 and they wouldn't have to be gold. In fact I think he would have a good chance to get in the 20s and get a few more gold.
He is only 23 and will only be 27 in 2012. Remember Gary Hall Jr. was almost 30 and he got another gold medal for us in Athens.
Great job Michael but let's go for that other record! Dara Torres got 2 Silvers in the Swimming and She's 41 Y/o....!

I know Phelps can get a few more medals at London in 2012.....

sahen
08-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Dara Torres got 2 Silvers in the Swimming and She's 41 Y/o....!

actually she got 3 this olympics...2 relays and one individual....

the announcers were saying Phelps is planning on swimming in 2012, just not in 8 events like he did this time....

Necks_Fan
08-17-2008, 06:19 PM
actually she got 3 this olympics...2 relays and one individual....

the announcers were saying Phelps is planning on swimming in 2012, just not in 8 events like he did this time.... Yea, he's young enough to go after all kinds of records and put them out of reach for good.

Phil C
08-18-2008, 08:24 AM
Dara Torres got 2 Silvers in the Swimming and She's 41 Y/o....!

Right you are Necks and that is very remarkable what she has done. It compares to George Foreman winning the Heavy Weight boxing title again at age 45!

Lion_Addict
08-18-2008, 08:50 AM
Yep, Phelps will be in London and you know what...... betcha he is even stronger & faster when that time rolls around. Dude is awesome and he will want it in a bad way. Gotta love it!

eagles_victory
08-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Im really surprised by how easy they have dominated in the olympics another blow out of Germany today 106-57. They have won their games by something like 33 a game the most since the Dream Team.

Buccaneer
08-18-2008, 10:49 AM
I heard the NBC announcer actually say this yesterday: "NBC was thinking about replacing Dwight Schrutte(Rainn Wilson) on 'The Office" with Michael Phelps.

The announcer even said Phelps had been so good for the ratings they wanted to keep using him. I know he was kidding but you could not tell from his expressions.

Txbroadcaster
08-18-2008, 11:00 AM
This year's team IMO would beat the original dream team at that point in that roster's career compared to where these players are now

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-18-2008, 11:21 AM
This is the best I have seen D-Wade play in awhile, and Lebron looks like he's hustling a lot more defensively. They're looking good all the way around.

Pick6
08-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
This is the best I have seen D-Wade play in awhile,

Dwayne Wade always plays good when the team is winning. When his team gets on a losing streak, he'll say his knee hurts again.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
Dwayne Wade always plays good when the team is winning. When his team gets on a losing streak, he'll say his knee hurts again.

That's hard to fathom considering the way he brought the Heat back against the Mavs in the NBA Finals...

Pick6
08-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
That's hard to fathom considering the way he brought the Heat back against the Mavs in the NBA Finals...

What has he done since then? How many games did he play in last year after Shaq was traded?

forum_guy
08-18-2008, 11:31 AM

u have no clue what your talking about

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-18-2008, 11:32 AM
What has he done since then? How many games did he play in last year after Shaq was traded?

He was injured and his team had nothing to play for. If you're that caliber of an athlete playing for a sub-par team and you're hurt and can either sit out and let yourself heal or play through the pain, what are you going to do? I would probably sit back and collect my check and try to make myself better for next season.

Pick6
08-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by forum_guy
u have no clue what your talking about

Sure I do, look up and see how many games he's missed the last couple of years. I remember him being wheeled out in a wheel chair for hurting his shoulder. I remember Emmitt Smith carrying Dallas against Philly with a dislocated shoulder. Wade, what a wimp.

Txbroadcaster
08-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Sure I do, look up and see how many games he's missed the last couple of years. I remember him being wheeled out in a wheel chair for hurting his shoulder. I remember Emmitt Smith carrying Dallas against Philly with a dislocated shoulder. Wade, what a wimp.

Actually it was agianst the Giants, and that was for homefield advantage and the NFC East Title..Smith had more riding on that game so he stayed in..think he would have stayed in when Dallas was 5-11?

Phil C
08-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Actually it was agianst the Giants, and that was for homefield advantage and the NFC East Title..Smith had more riding on that game so he stayed in..think he would have stayed in when Dallas was 5-11?

Why sure Tx.

Pick6
08-18-2008, 11:42 AM

You're right about the Giants.

If they was 5-11 the season would of already been over :)

Emmitt would of done whatever he could to play in any game.

Phil C
08-18-2008, 11:47 AM
We have to remember earlier that Australia gave us a big scare as we only won by ten points I think.

Txbroadcaster
08-18-2008, 12:05 PM

Emmitt would of done whatever he could to play in any game.

sorry I disagree..I dont know many superstars who would risk an injury if already hurt in a season that has become meaningless