PDA

View Full Version : College is.....

IHStangFan
07-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Difficult with a full time job, new family, home, etc. I've finally decided to take advantage of my Montgomery GI Bill and am enrolled at Wharton County Junior College. I am really enjoying the challenge of school again, but keeping up is tiring. I could kick myself for not knocking out school when it would have been my only responsibility. Better late than never I guess!! Maybe some of you in college, or you college grads have some advice for studying, and whatnot. I'm doing fine in my classes, it's just finding the time to stay ahead.

Thanks in advance ya'll.

wildstangs
07-26-2008, 10:39 PM
During my last two years of college I was married and working 50+ hours a week between two jobs. I became very good at not procrastinating. Most college assignments are lined out very well in a syllabus, so it is easy to see what you have on the horizon. Do things as early as possible to avoid having multiple assignments due at one time.

wedo
07-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Difficult with a full time job, new family, home, etc. I've finally decided to take advantage of my Montgomery GI Bill and am enrolled at Wharton County Junior College. I am really enjoying the challenge of school again, but keeping up is tiring. I could kick myself for not knocking out school when it would have been my only responsibility. Better late than never I guess!! Maybe some of you in college, or you college grads have some advice for studying, and whatnot. I'm doing fine in my classes, it's just finding the time to stay ahead.

Thanks in advance ya'll.

I went to wharton for 2 years, and have worked there in the fitness center for 3. I could tell every teacher that would be the easiest and who gives the less amount of HW, and the easiest tests. just let me know

mustang04
07-27-2008, 11:27 AM
never study, dont drink more than 2 weeknights, dont kiss your professors arse but do get in good with them (i thought this meant it was ok to make out with ones daughter...dont do it)...playing call of duty or grand theft auto 4 about 3-4 hours a day followed up with intramural sports can also help boost your GPA....thats all the stuff i did at least:)

jason
07-27-2008, 04:37 PM
take an online class or two, and one weekend early in the semester, lock yourself in your room and complete the whole class...that knocks out a whole semester's worth of stuff in one afternoon....

i did that the semester i took 22 hours....

Necks_Fan
07-27-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
never study, dont drink more than 2 weeknights, dont kiss your professors arse but do get in good with them (i thought this meant it was ok to make out with ones daughter...dont do it)...playing call of duty or grand theft auto 4 about 3-4 hours a day followed up with intramural sports can also help boost your GPA....thats all the stuff i did at least:) And they say college is hard. I worked harder than that in 4th grade.

Of course, it helps to have a knock off major.

mustang04
07-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
And they say college is hard. I worked harder than that in 4th grade.

Of course, it helps to have a knock off major.

yeah...but i was pre-med for 2 of those years...so now im about to graduate with a major in communications and a minor in psychology, i have taken like 6 biologies which included 4 upper level, and took chemistry through organic 1...

mchavez
07-27-2008, 07:47 PM
I'm currently working 40hrs a week, and i'm in the fire academy for 16 hours of week. The academy is both mentally and physically intense. It's going to be tough at first but just give your body sometime to settle in. good luck

bwdlionfan
07-27-2008, 07:50 PM
I work 5 or 6 days a week, 8-10 hour shifts, and go to school 4 nights a week for 3-4 hours each night. Not to mention the drive to school is an hour each way. I live and work in Arlington, but go to UNT. And it's not undergrad either, it's grad school.... It's been kicking my butt but I'll have my MBA in December and then no more school for me.

IHStangFan
07-27-2008, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
I work 5 or 6 days a week, 8-10 hour shifts, and go to school 4 nights a week for 3-4 hours each night. Not to mention the drive to school is an hour each way. I live and work in Arlington, but go to UNT. And it's not undergrad either, it's grad school.... It's been kicking my butt but I'll have my MBA in December and then no more school for me. I hear ya. I drive 70 miles one way to work every day. Put in an 8+ hour day, then drive home again. From there it's daddy and husband duties as I have a 5 1/5 month old daughter which is a job in itself, then theres duties around the house, yard work, getting ready for our horses to be here, i.e. building pens, etc. Did I mention we just drove out to Arizona last week to get that ball rolling? All while taking online classes, in which I had assignments I had to do in between all of this? LOL. It's rough, but I'm managing. Thanks for the suggestion and support guys.