PDA

View Full Version : La Grange 2008

TRENCHES06
07-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Will have the best team (most talent) they've had since '99.

Talented, hungry, but inexperienced.

In 2009, they will make a serious run at a trophy when they bring back almost everybody including the WRs, QB, and RBs.

Jump on the bandwagon now!

Old Tiger
07-27-2008, 07:17 AM
are you guys back in region IV?

TRENCHES06
07-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Yes, back in Region 4.

Old Tiger
07-27-2008, 06:00 PM
i bet yall will enjoy that after a LOOOOOONG stint in region 3

Emerson1
07-27-2008, 06:04 PM
'00 wasn't better than '99?

Does Tye Gunn have a little brother or something?

Pudlugger
07-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by TRENCHES06
Will have the best team (most talent) they've had since '99.

Talented, hungry, but inexperienced.

In 2009, they will make a serious run at a trophy when they bring back almost everybody including the WRs, QB, and RBs.

Well it is great to hear some positive words regarding this upcoming team. I would say that the 2000, 2001 and 2002 teams were better than the 1999 team though. The 1999 team went 11-1 but lost in the second round to a tough Robinson team 28-14. The 2000 team went 14-2 winning state by beating Forney and Blanton and company. The 2001 team went 12-4 losing to Commerce 14-11 in a State Championship defensive struggle. The 2000 team had the best offense in recent times with Gunn but the 2001 defense was a litlle better IMHO. To say this new team has more talent is a pretty bold statement. I would be delighted to see it become true. We will get a look at them against Liberty Hill in the first scrimmage. Go Leps!

TRENCHES06
07-27-2008, 09:09 PM
I think I meant the 2000 team.

This years team has talent, but most of it is at the junior/sophomore level with a pretty good senior linebacker.

From what I hear from people in town, our WRs should be really good, there are a few running backs that could win the job, and the coaches kid at QB has been impressive.

Not sure about the Offensive or Defensive Line. Anybody know?

Emerson1
07-27-2008, 09:12 PM

Sounds like you have already ;)

LHS PRIDE
07-27-2008, 10:11 PM
LG offensive line will probably have 4 Juniors and 1 senior as the starters, one junior guard is around 6'1 and 260 and the rest are all around the 6' 200 lb mark. I think they will work together well, as only the senior has not played with them at all. And yes LG does have several RB's and WR's to choose from as well. The QB position should be rock solid.

LG is changing the defense up somewhat, so I do not know much about the defensive line. I do know that they have some depth at the offensive/defensive lines and their probably will not be anybody going both ways. They have a very good senior LB to lead the defense which will be made of mostly Juniors.

However the district will be very tough with Sealy, Giddings, Bellville, Columbus and with Smithville improving
Maybe one of the toughest districts this year

Pudlugger
07-27-2008, 11:16 PM
As I have said on many posts in the past the Offensive Line is the backbone of the offense. In 2000 and 2001 the Lep O line was huge averaging over 250 lbs and these guys were not big and fat. They were also fast and strong. I spoke with a kid that played for Wimberley and went on to earn honors for the Trinity Tigers as an end in DIII. He remembered the 2001 La Grange team from the regional final in the Alamo dome. The Leps played a very tough Texan team to win 20-9. His impression was how big the line was. He said they looked huge. I hope the 2008 Leps O line steps up to the task because that will make or break the offense IMHO.

Emerson1
07-27-2008, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
As I have said on many posts in the past the Offensive Line is the backbone of the offense. In 2000 and 2001 the Lep O line was huge averaging over 250 lbs and these guys were not big and fat.
For LH's take I hope LHS Pride was just under estimating the size of them. 6' 200? Have fun La Grange offensive backfield.

TRENCHES06
07-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Well, it's not like they play power running game. Just keep the big uglys off the QB for 4 seconds

duke55
08-05-2008, 06:12 PM
La grange will finish 4th or 5th ..

rancher
08-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Sounds to me like La Grange is playoff bound in DII, winning the district

HEMOTOXIC
08-05-2008, 08:29 PM
I like what I saw from the Leps last year. The Leps are very capable of competing against Bellville, Sealy, and Giddings. For that reason, I see them finishing as the number 2 or 3 team.

lepfan
08-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

Does Tye Gunn have a little brother or something? Not that young...LOL

crabman
08-05-2008, 09:37 PM
You should have a pretty good read on this team after the Cuero scrimmage.

hookandladder
08-06-2008, 06:40 AM
For LH's take I hope LHS Pride was just under estimating the size of them. 6' 200? Have fun La Grange offensive backfield.

If you have a program from the game when we played you for the State Championship game, you might notice some very small defensive lineman that we had. Size does not make you that much better if you do not have the heart and desire. LG had heart, desire and very intelligent kids all around that year that beleived in the system. The next year, same thing. La Grange as with a lot of schools has not had the talent the last few years however this will be Coach Walker's third year and with some pretty talented kids coming up this year and in a couple of years, we are very excited about football in La Grange. We are not proclaiming that we will win State this year, just expecting and hoping for a good season. As stated before our district is very strong, so making the playoffs would be agood start.

Pudlugger
08-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Actually this is Coach Walker's fourth year (2005 4-6; 2006 8-3; 2007 4-5). The Leps had a good run of talent from 1997 through 2003 going deep in the playoffs each year with the exception of 1998. Two appearances in the State Championship and one State Championship plus a semi-final appearance in 1997 and three rounds deep in 2002 and 2003.

Coach Walker is filling some big shoes after Valastro's departure in 2004. This year he will have no players from the high school level who were coached under Valastro's system. It will be a good test as to the success of the new system and its ability to develop new talent from one season to the next. Hopefully those boys who hope to bring back the winning ways in La Grange have been working hard in the weight room and on the track to get in shape as this district is indeed very strong.

It was a smart move by Walker to schedule two tough opponents in the scrimmages: Liberty Hill then Cuero. That should get these young men seasoned some before the fun begins week zero. Go Leps!

duke55
08-06-2008, 02:06 PM
wow......this is crazy

Pudlugger
08-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by duke55
wow......this is crazy

Perhaps you would like to elaborate? Just what is so crazy?

duke55
08-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Perhaps you would like to elaborate? Just what is so crazy?

Well yall are sayin la grange will make the top 3 basically... right?

I strongly disagree... every top 100 ive seen.. has them nowhere...
Dave Campbell's has them finishing 5th... in front of smithville...
and yes i know the season hasnt started and all that ..... but yall's linebacker is the only person i see being really good...at least thats what the Magazine says... QB might be good but only 1 returning WR...i see yall being playoff bound next year... :)

Pudlugger
08-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Well, thanks for the explanation. My point is that in 1998 when Tye Gunn was a sophomore the Leps went 4-6 and missed the play-offs. The next year they were picked to be 5th in district. They went 10-0 in the regular season and ended 11-1 losing to semi-finalist Robinson in round two. This season the boys look very much like that '99 team. Young and talented but relatively untested. I like their chances and look forward to the upcoming scrimmages with Liberty Hill and Cuero. I realize they are up against a very tough district but you never should count the Leps out. Go Leps!

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Who will the leps play in Pre District?

Bellville will play Caldwell, 4a Livingston, and #2 Navasota, in that order. This sould get the Brahmas ready for District, all 3 were in the play=offs last year and will be picked to do the same this year.

Pudlugger
08-06-2008, 10:33 PM
They scrimage LH and Cuero. Then 4a Lockhart, Yoekum, Needville Gonzales and Goliad.

Daddy D 11
08-06-2008, 10:38 PM

and yes i know the season hasnt started and all that ..... but yall's linebacker is the only person i see being really good...at least thats what the Magazine says... QB might be good but only 1 returning WR...i see yall being playoff bound next year... :)

You're only going to base it off DCTF?

And Pudlugger, thats some pretty good pre-district opponents. Mix in LH and Cuero in scrimmages and your boys should be seasoned by the time district comes around.

oh and Duke, your post has 35 dots in it:eek:

hookandladder
08-07-2008, 06:19 AM

Judging La Grange from the Dave Campbell's magazine prediction is not a very acurate, we played most all of our teams in District last year and know what it will take to make the playoffs. Our last game of the year against Navasota was winner makes the playoffs, we played them toe to toe and they did fair pretty well in the playoffs. We are not saying we will definitely make the playoffs, just saying we have a better QB, WR's and better running back's this year. Defense will be the question mark, we will need some guy's to really step up. Offense should be exciting to watch for a the next couple of years. If our QB has a solid year, I would look for him to be recruited pretty heavy this next summer.

Pudlugger
08-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Hook, would you elaborate a little on our running back depth? Last year we had some pretty good running backs so it is exciting to hear we may have better ones this season. Also, what about the O line? They will all be Juniors and Sophs with only one having varsity experience(the big kid they brought up from JV to play guard in the Navasota game due to the suspensions). He impressed me as being very strong. Who are the others?

I hope the Leps learned from last year the importance of strong senior leadership. Last year the Leps had three episodes of suspensions in the season due to the undisciplined attitude of several of the seniors. The distractions hurt especially in the Navasota game which was very close. I suspect that the coaches will be very wary of this problem this season and will take steps to insure it does not become a problem again. The few seniors on this squad will have a big responsibility to lead and hopefully they are up to the task.

TRENCHES06
08-07-2008, 12:13 PM
The biggest thing is there are no senior distractors.

As far as running back goes.....it won't even be close to last year. Meaning: it will be that much better.

Pudlugger
08-07-2008, 12:37 PM
I hope the few seniors who are on the roster step up and set the correct tone for discipline and hard work. That has always been the case in successful Lep teams.

Tell us about the running backs this year Trenches. Names, ht. wt. 40 times etc.

hookandladder
08-07-2008, 01:30 PM
The biggest thing is there are no senior distractors.

As far as running back goes.....it won't even be close to last year. Meaning: it will be that much better.

The same seniors distractions were also on the baseball team, leadership does not have to come from seniors, Pud. This years leaders will most likely be Juniors, The Dugan kid could be the best back we've had since L.Dobbins. QB and backs should be our best since the Tye Gunn era.

hookandladder
08-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Hook, would you elaborate a little on our running back depth? Last year we had some pretty good running backs so it is exciting to hear we may have better ones this season. Also, what about the O line? They will all be Juniors and Sophs with only one having varsity experience(the big kid they brought up from JV to play guard in the Navasota game due to the suspensions). He impressed me as being very strong. Who are the others?

I hope the Leps learned from last year the importance of strong senior leadership. Last year the Leps had three episodes of suspensions in the season due to the undisciplined attitude of several of the seniors. The distractions hurt especially in the Navasota game which was very close. I suspect that the coaches will be very wary of this problem this season and will take steps to insure it does not become a problem again. The few seniors on this squad will have a big responsibility to lead and hopefully they are up to the task.

Coaches can only do so much, this senior class had problems all year long. It takes full committment from the athelete's and I do not think they were fully committed. Coach Walker will have this team fully committed this year, these are his players and he is very excited what the future holds.

Pudlugger
08-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
The same seniors distractions were also on the baseball team, leadership does not have to come from seniors, Pud. This years leaders will most likely be Juniors, The Dugan kid could be the best back we've had since L.Dobbins. QB and backs should be our best since the Tye Gunn era.

Lawrence Dobbins was a stud! We almost won that semi-final game against Sealy in the Astro Dome in 1997 with his outstanding performance. If we have someone who can fill his shoes man I am getting excited about our chances. Now that talk about the best Qb and WR since the Tye Gunn era, well I am very stoked. If this turns out to be true the Leps will impress a bunch of folks this year. I agree about leadership, it falls on those who are able and willing and not just on the seniors. It is not a right it is a privilege to lead.

duke55
08-07-2008, 04:03 PM
ok well since yall are "teaming up" ill just say good luck and i hope yall are right...i just dont see it... o and srry for haveing too many dots:confused: "DADDY D"

LHS PRIDE
08-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Hello Pud, I was waiting for hook to respond, but here we go, maybe not all right but pretty close

qb - schneider 6'1 200, henderson 6'0 180 henderson the senior

rb - dugan 4.6, wilson 4.5,d. daniels 4.6, k. daniels 4.6, kolb 4.8, weiss 4.6 weiss the senior

wr - wilkerson, garner, garlick, heinrich, bridges, j. henderson, dwigans, bunch,
garner, bridges, bunch the seniors

ol - weishuhn -rt 6' 210 , drab rg 6'1' 260, fitspatrick c - 5'10' 220, lopez - lg 5'9 230,
kloesel lt - 6'2' 230, with weishuhn the only senior the rest are juniors

as you can see coach Walker has some decisions to make, should be a fun year

LHexPlayer
08-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by LHS PRIDE
Hello Pud, I was waiting for hook to respond, but here we go, maybe not all right but pretty close

rb - dugan 4.2, wilson 4.2,d. daniels 4.3, k. daniels 4.3, kolb 4.8, weiss 4.3 weiss the senior

wr - wilkerson, garner, garlick, heinrich, bridges, j. henderson, dwigans, bunch,

ol - weishuhn -rt 6' 210 , drab rg 6'1' 260, fitspatrick c - 5'10' 220, lopez - lg 5'9 230,

what is the 4.2 by some of their names?

LH Panther Mom
08-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by LHexPlayer
what is the 4.2 by some of their names?
It's either their speed or their height. :eek: :eek: :eek:

LHS PRIDE
08-07-2008, 07:25 PM
40 time

LHexPlayer
08-07-2008, 07:27 PM
40 time

There is no way anyone on your team runs a 4.2. They would be faster than anyone in the NFL.

Old Tiger
08-07-2008, 07:27 PM
40 time ya right on those 40 times. if yall had those then you would have won the state track meet last year.:rolleyes:

Old Tiger
08-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by LHexPlayer
There is no way anyone on your team runs a 4.2. They would be faster than anyone in the NFL. the fastest 40 time ever recorded at the NFL combine was a 4.24 by the ECU now Tennessee Titans RB

LHS PRIDE
08-07-2008, 07:31 PM
got ya'll excited though, I like having fun with some of you

LHexPlayer
08-07-2008, 07:32 PM

Not really excited but I did laugh real hard. Thanks.

Old Tiger
08-07-2008, 07:32 PM
got ya'll excited though, I like having fun with some of you it didn't get no one excited...it just made you look dumb for even saying it

LHS PRIDE
08-07-2008, 07:35 PM
add about .3 to each of them, our track program is very week, most guys do not run track, however with the new coaching staff they are trying to turn it around, it is just taking a little longer than coach Walker would like.

Let's everybody have a GREAT season

LHS PRIDE
08-07-2008, 07:36 PM
except for rockdale

Pudlugger
08-07-2008, 10:34 PM

rb - dugan 4.6, wilson 4.5,d. daniels 4.6, k. daniels 4.6, kolb 4.8, weiss 4.6 weiss the senior

Looks promising. The O line averaging 230lbs and the backfield averaging 4.6
From what I hear Schneider will start. Henderson is too good an athlete to sit on the bench so I wouldn't be surprised to see him either on defense or in the backfield as a slot back. Looks like the Leps have some good depth in critical skill positions this year.

Emerson1
08-07-2008, 10:43 PM
5 running backs with a 4.6 or lower?

We should also be looking for La Grange to win the 4x100 this year to then.

LHexPlayer
08-07-2008, 10:45 PM

We should also be looking for La Grange to win the 4x100 this year to then.

He doesn't know what they run. Earlier he had them all running a 4.2, and then he edited it. Wait a little long and they will be running a 5.0

hookandladder
08-08-2008, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
it didn't get no one excited...it just made you look dumb for even saying it

Do you always have to be a jerk.

hookandladder
08-08-2008, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
It's either their speed or their height. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wise a--.

hookandladder
08-08-2008, 06:59 AM

LHS does have more acurate scoup, however I was at practice last night and must say I saw both QB's and Henderson looks very sharp also. I think it will come down to who can handle the pressure. You must remember this is a pretty dominate board by
a select few who think they are MR.&Mrs Football and know it all, if you know what I mean. If they do not agree, their right and your wrong...

hookandladder
08-08-2008, 07:11 AM
ya right on those 40 times. if yall had those then you would have won the state track meet last year.:rolleyes:

I did not know you could win state in the 40, when did they start this event. Being fast in a short distance would only help you in maybe the 100. In the relay's you must be able to maintain your speed and that's what seperate's the best. But I am sure you know better.

LH Panther Mom
08-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Wise a--.
;)

Pudlugger
08-08-2008, 08:52 AM
Hook, I guess if you are from La Grange you need permission to boost your team around here these days. Having several quick rbs in the 4.6 range is not that unusual in hs football.

I don't get all this comparison of 40 times to track events. It's apples and oranges. How well a kid can carry his pads determines to a large extent how successful a running back is. 40 times don't tell the whole story, just how quick a player is. But quickness with pads is not all it takes. Factor that in plus size, strength, tenacity, aggressiveness and heart and then you're talking about running backs not 400 meter relay runners.

In 5a schools where the numbers are an order of magnitude greater in the talent pool you will find many fast kids who prefer to run the track and shun the pads for a number of reasons. Some kids don't like the contact, just the running and that's okay. Football is a complex game and that is why you have these huge stadiums full every Saturday and Sunday across the nation and even overseas now.

I hope the Leps fulfill their promise this season. It will be refreshing to have some new schools getting props around here.

Buffgal
08-08-2008, 09:00 AM
It will be refreshing to have some new schools getting props around here. AMEN

Keep promoting those Leps. Loud and Proud is my motto. And so what about those 40 times, it only counts if you can get away from the opposition, right???

Hey, the Weishuhn guy on the list, is that David & Ingrid's son? I thought he graduated last year? It's so hard to keep up with all these guys and their ages. What about Kolek, a junior? He's a good athlete, my son played summer baseball with him. Super kid and family. What position do they have him in?

LH Panther Mom
08-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Having several quick rbs in the 4.6 range is not that unusual in hs football.

You're right on the 4.6. The post originally had 4.2's for several kids, which is where the comments came from.

Pudlugger
08-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Irrational exuberance I guess LOL.

LH Panther Mom
08-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Irrational exuberance I guess LOL.
And a little :stirpot: :stirpot: . ;)

hookandladder
08-08-2008, 10:34 AM
You're right on the 4.6. The post originally had 4.2's for several kids, which is where the comments came from.

The guy who posted those #'s played High School and College football, so he know's he made a mistake on the info. So stop making comments about his original post, I am sure you have made some typo errors in your time but maybe not.

LH Panther Mom
08-08-2008, 10:37 AM

The guy who posted those #'s played High School and College football, so he know's he made a mistake on the info. So stop making comments about his original post, I am sure you have made some typo errors in your time but maybe not. :doh: :doh:

hookandladder
08-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Buffgal
It will be refreshing to have some new schools getting props around here. AMEN

Keep promoting those Leps. Loud and Proud is my motto. And so what about those 40 times, it only counts if you can get away from the opposition, right???

Hey, the Weishuhn guy on the list, is that David & Ingrid's son? I thought he graduated last year? It's so hard to keep up with all these guys and their ages. What about Kolek, a junior? He's a good athlete, my son played summer baseball with him. Super kid and family. What position do they have him in?

Some people think #'s are all that matter, our last State Championship team was not fast at all. As stated before they had Heart,Desire and intelligents and never willing to give in. As for as the Weishuhn kids he is not David's, maybe kin. He will most likely be our starting SS next year on our baseball team.The Kolek kid will be one of our starting LB, he should be solid in the middle.

hookandladder
08-08-2008, 10:45 AM
:doh: :doh:

Typical- Proves my point.

LH Panther Mom
08-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Do you always have to be a jerk. :thinking: :thinking:

Pudlugger
08-08-2008, 11:18 AM
The 2000 Lep team had some pretty good speed actually. Tye Gunn was 4.5 as was Terrel Newton. Seth Anderle was 4.6 as well. Newton, as I recall, actually sucked up Blanton on a long run, tackling him from behind on the 16. It proved to be a game saving play as a on the next play Blanton fumbled on the 12 and the Leps recovered with about 2 minutes on the clock. They were able to get a first down on the second effort of Gunn on 4th and one by inches to run out the clock on the Jackrabbits. Nobody had ever seen another player catch Blanton from behind before. I agree though that the 2000 Leps had great heart and desire.

I believe the 2001 Leps could have won state as well except they took an early victory lap after their win over Giddings in the semi-final. Giddings was favored and the Leps just lost focus the next week against a tough Commerce team fumbling the ball 6 times. They had 17 first downs to 4 in losing 14-11. Turnovers and failed fourth and short attempts were the difference in that game.

LH Panther Mom
08-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Let's everybody have a GREAT season
:2thumbsup :2thumbsup I'm looking forward to watching the Leps!

buff4life
08-08-2008, 11:46 AM
The 2000 Lep team had some pretty good speed actually. Tye Gunn was 4.5 as was Terrel Newton. Seth Anderle was 4.6 as well. Newton, as I recall, actually sucked up Blanton on a long run, tackling him from behind on the 16. It proved to be a game saving play as a on the next play Blanton fumbled on the 12 and the Leps recovered with about 2 minutes on the clock. They were able to get a first down on the second effort of Gunn on 4th and one by inches to run out the clock on the Jackrabbits. Nobody had ever seen another player catch Blanton from behind before. I agree though that the 2000 Leps had great heart and desire.

I believe the 2001 Leps could have won state as well except they took an early victory lap after their win over Giddings in the semi-final. Giddings was favored and the Leps just lost focus the next week against a tough Commerce team fumbling the ball 6 times. They had 17 first downs to 4 in losing 14-11. Turnovers and failed fourth and short attempts were the difference in that game.

we did have a dang good team that year, size and speed everywhere

TRENCHES06
08-08-2008, 11:53 AM
The Weishuhn kid that plays baseball is the JV QB. There is another Weishuhn in the football program.

QB's are looking good. It will be fun to watch. One has never played Varsity but was pretty dominant the last two years on JV. The other QB has been on the Varsity roster but has never really successfully performed. How they handle the pressure will determine who gets the playing time.

I was told that Dugan, Wilson, and one of the Daniels kids will get bulk of carries,

Good luck Leps!

hookandladder
08-08-2008, 11:58 AM

I do not see 3 players with descent speed as have good speed, Marlin and Forney had speed. La Grange did not have any overall speed, everybody just did their job very well.

Necks_Fan
08-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
I like what I saw from the Leps last year. The Leps are very capable of competing against Bellville, Sealy, and Giddings. For that reason, I see them finishing as the number 2 or 3 team. Exceot for the fact that they only return 8 starters total. Like he said, they will be very young this year after a heavy grauation but they obviously have alot of talent in the jnior and soph classes.

Necks_Fan
08-08-2008, 12:11 PM

We should also be looking for La Grange to win the 4x100 this year to then. Yea, I don't believe that for one second either.

duke55
08-08-2008, 12:35 PM
la grange = 5th in district:hand:

IHStangFan
08-08-2008, 12:37 PM
I like what I saw from the Leps last year. The Leps are very capable of competing against Bellville, Sealy, and Giddings. For that reason, I see them finishing as the number 2 or 3 team. yeah...if I know Mitchell...and I think I do....Sealy is going to be a huge hurdle for the Leps to get over in 08.

Pudlugger
08-08-2008, 12:42 PM
I do not see 3 players with descent speed as have good speed, Marlin and Forney had speed. La Grange did not have any overall speed, everybody just did their job very well.

Well, Hook it depends on what you qualify as good speed. 4.6 is fast for 3a in my book. Agreed Marlin had guys in the 4.4 range like Smith and Modkins, and Forney with Blanton at 4.3 well you can't say enough about him. The Leps have not had anyone in this range since Lawrence Dobbins. It would be great if they break out with some speed this season. The spread offense lives and dies on speed assuming they have 5 bricks and one wall up front on the O line.

duke55
08-08-2008, 12:54 PM
im gonna be a genius when the season is over..cuz la grange gets 5 th in district!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Necks_Fan
08-08-2008, 01:20 PM
im gonna be a genius when the season is over..cuz la grange gets 5 th in district!!!!!!!!!!:mad: Make that CO- geniuses. I agree with that.

Pudlugger
08-08-2008, 01:34 PM
The Leps meet Needville in the pre-season and Columbus in district so ya'll might get to crow some. On the other hand you might get to eat some too.:D

Pudlugger
08-08-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm happy the Leps and Columbus are back in the same district again. This is a great rivalry. The last time they met was in round 1 of the 2002 playoffs. IIRC the Leps won that one 10-0 and went on to the third round to lose to Marlin.

I think this match up will be very intense with both teams out to prove their bona fides. Of course I think the Leps will win but I'm a homer lol. The Cards will upset someone in this district which will throw it into a wild card situation. It will be interesting. :cool:

IHStangFan
08-08-2008, 06:17 PM
The Leps meet Needville in the pre-season and Columbus in district so ya'll might get to crow some. On the other hand you might get to eat some too.:D The Leps will be a good, early test and measuring stick in my opinion to see where my Blue Jays are at to start the season. Looking forward to this one.

garciap77
08-08-2008, 06:17 PM
The Leps meet Needville in the pre-season and Columbus in district so ya'll might get to crow some. On the other hand you might get to eat some too.:D

How's Needville doing these days?

LHS 2SONS
08-08-2008, 06:30 PM
gone for the week, business trip to tampa,fl(got a hate it), i see some talk and trash talk(always good) about la grange

i missed all week of practices but i am going their now to watch a little practice, their second practice of the day is starting at 6:30

i am not much of a talker(bragger), so i will give my opinion everyone once in a while

GO LEPS and everyone else GOOD LUCK!

IHStangFan
08-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
How's Needville doing these days? The Jays lost alot to graduation. Still yet to be seen if they've been able to fill the holes. I'm hopeful!

Pudlugger
08-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
The Jays lost alot to graduation. Still yet to be seen if they've been able to fill the holes. I'm hopeful!

The Jays were pretty salty last season. What do they bring this year? I am looking forward to this matchup as both teams are in a rebuilding mode and have talent coming up from the ranks.

garciap77
08-08-2008, 07:36 PM
The Jays lost alot to graduation. Still yet to be seen if they've been able to fill the holes. I'm hopeful!

Go luck! They seem to be pretty good a couple of years ago. Wife has family who lives there. They are pretty good fans of Needville Footbball. Been there several times, nice town!

IHStangFan
08-08-2008, 07:40 PM
The Jays were pretty salty last season. What do they bring this year? I am looking forward to this matchup as both teams are in a rebuilding mode and have talent coming up from the ranks. Needville returns a pretty decent QB. Glaring holes were left on the O-line, at RB, at TE. It'll be interesting to see if they are able to fill the voids left by graduation.

duke55
08-08-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm happy the Leps and Columbus are back in the same district again. This is a great rivalry. The last time they met was in round 1 of the 2002 playoffs. IIRC the Leps won that one 10-0 and went on to the third round to lose to Marlin.

I think this match up will be very intense with both teams out to prove their bona fides. Of course I think the Leps will win but I'm a homer lol. The Cards will upset someone in this district which will throw it into a wild card situation. It will be interesting. :cool:

dont get mad when we come into yalls house and peck yall to death!!!:mad: ..........lol

Pudlugger
08-08-2008, 10:13 PM
dont get mad when we come into yalls house and peck yall to death!!!:mad: ..........lol

Seems to me big cats know how to handle little song birds. :D

TRENCHES06
08-09-2008, 08:50 AM
I've heard that Columbus won't be very good the next 2-3 years

Pudlugger
08-09-2008, 09:22 AM
The big game this season might actually be game one of district: Bellville @La Grange. both teams always get pumped up in this rivalry and the outcome will to a large extent shape the final district standings. Bellville will most likely be favored and they will want to get some payback for their loss in 2007. Bellville has a very solid core of young players who have a year of varsity experience under their belts as well as some outstanding sub varsity kids moving up. The Leps have fewer returning varsity level players and will count on an outstanding underclassman group to step up and play. This will be a big game for both teams. Right now common knowledge favors the Brahmas but until we get a closer look at both teams I cannot say who will win one way or the other.

duke55
08-09-2008, 10:28 AM
I've heard that Columbus won't be very good the next 2-3 years

really from who?:thinking:

duke55
08-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Seems to me big cats know how to handle little song birds. :D

not this year!

TRENCHES06
08-09-2008, 10:42 AM
The Leps should have never beat Bellville last year, but that's why they play the games!

kingoftheranch
08-09-2008, 10:52 PM
man needville scheduled la grange as there homecoming game! YIKES!!!

TRENCHES06
08-10-2008, 11:17 AM
how is Needville looking?

Pudlugger
08-10-2008, 07:24 PM
The Leps will upset at least two favored teams in district this season.

Bull's-eye
08-10-2008, 08:07 PM
The Leps will upset at least two favored teams in district this season.

Sealy, Giddings ??

TRENCHES06
08-10-2008, 08:18 PM
I would guess more like Giddings and Bellville.

Sealy will be tough as hell Week 10.

buff4life
08-11-2008, 12:55 AM
LG in Giddings, i won't say no way, but i highly doubt it...

navscanmaster
08-11-2008, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by buff4life
LG in Giddings, i won't say no way, but i highly doubt it...

Will the good defense still be a trademark of this year's Leps? I know you guys lost a dang good receiver, but will the passing game still be as effective?

Necks_Fan
08-11-2008, 02:26 AM
how is Needville looking? Not too good. They have ALOT of holes to fill...... Not many returning starters, although the JV was pretty good.

TRENCHES06
08-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Will the passing game be as good?

Just wait, it will be so much better.

IHStangFan
08-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Not too good. They have ALOT of holes to fill...... Not many returning starters, although the JV was pretty good. we're still optimistic....we figure that last year's 7th grade b-team could have put 20+ points up on The Roughneck varsity team. We'll be alright.

buff4life
08-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Will the passing game be as good?

Just wait, it will be so much better.

lolz

Pudlugger
08-11-2008, 04:59 PM
The spread depends upon speed and the passing game. If what we are hearing about this new Lep team hold true we have both this season. I would really love to see the Leps give some of the old rivals a lickin' this year. Long overdue IMHO.;)

Old Tiger
08-11-2008, 05:00 PM
The spread depends upon speed and the passing game. If what we are hearing about this new Lep team hold true we have both this season. I would really love to see the Leps give some of the old rivals a lickin' this year. Long overdue IMHO.;) WRONG!

spread can depend upon the rushing game.

just because your fast doesn't mean you can run the spread. the spread is all about creating mismatches with the defense.

Pudlugger
08-11-2008, 05:05 PM
True, but in my book speed weighs heavily in the rushing game. That is assuming the o line is strong as in any successful offense. No one can run the spread without speed and the passing game Einstein. What keeps the defense off balance is the ability to burn the secondary on the pass. That keeps 4 guys off the d line opening up the running game. Without the threat of the pass what success would the rushing game have? Chicken or the egg really. You need both---speed and the passing game Q.E.D.

navscanmaster
08-12-2008, 12:50 AM
True, but in my book speed weighs heavily in the rushing game. That is assuming the o line is strong as in any successful offense. No one can run the spread without speed and the passing game Einstein. What keeps the defense off balance is the ability to burn the secondary on the pass. That keeps 4 guys off the d line opening up the running game. Without the threat of the pass what success would the rushing game have? Chicken or the egg really. You need both---speed and the passing game Q.E.D.

Unless you are LH. Then you can win a title game without throwing a single pass.

Pudlugger
08-12-2008, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Unless you are LH. Then you can win a title game without throwing a single pass.

Yes that is true but we are talking about the spread offense not the wing T. La Grange has a long history of power running offense under Tony Valastro. We ran the veer. The Leps threw the ball about 25% of the time. Usually they just ran right at the defense and either blocked out the defender or pitched out to the tailback. They won state in 2000 with that rushing game as well.

Now under Coach Walker the Leps offense is completely different. No huddle, 5 down lineman, no TEs, qb takes the ball from shotgun, 4 wr and a rb. The spread offense relies on speed and the ability to draw out the defense in pass coverage giving the rb or qb the option of rushing. The draw play, lateral screen pass work well in this formation. LH 's running game relies on misdirection, stunting and quickness, quite effectively as 2 championships would attest.

The Leps have had trouble defending this offense losing big to Caldwell last year being the most obvious case. Hopefully the coaches and players have been working on this. We will get a look Saturday as they go up against a blue chip team in their first outing for 2008.

Runnin Panther
08-12-2008, 09:02 AM
Yes that is true but we are talking about the spread offense not the wing T. La Grange has a long history of power running offense under Tony Valastro. We ran the veer. The Leps threw the ball about 25% of the time. Usually they just ran right at the defense and either blocked out the defender or pitched out to the tailback. They won state in 2000 with that rushing game as well.

Now under Coach Walker the Leps offense is completely different. No huddle, 5 down lineman, no TEs, qb takes the ball from shotgun, 4 wr and a rb. The spread offense relies on speed and the ability to draw out the defense in pass coverage giving the rb or qb the option of rushing. The draw play, lateral screen pass work well in this formation. LH 's running game relies on misdirection, stunting and quickness, quite effectively as 2 championships would attest.

The Leps have had trouble defending this offense losing big to Caldwell last year being the most obvious case. Hopefully the coaches and players have been working on this. We will get a look Saturday as they go up against a blue chip team in their first outing for 2008.

I like the veer not many teams running it anymore

halfnhalf
08-12-2008, 10:12 AM
If ran correctly the veer is unstoppable, you just need a good quarterback who can read the blocks and know when to tuck it in and when to pitch it.

catdaddy
08-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Well, it's not like they play power running game. Just keep the big uglys off the QB for 4 seconds

:thinking: Actually, I think the right DE is strikingly handsome...(in a manly sorta way):D

It is good to see fans talking up their team. Cool thing about preseason is that everyone has the same record and the hope that this is going to be THE year.
Good luck Leps and an Amen to the no injuries.

DKR#1
08-12-2008, 04:06 PM
I like what I saw from the Leps last year. The Leps are very capable of competing against Bellville, Sealy, and Giddings. For that reason, I see them finishing as the number 2 or 3 team. They might be a year away, but I agree that they could sneak up on someone in this district! It will be interesting to watch.

buff4ever
08-12-2008, 04:11 PM
i bet yall will enjoy that after a LOOOOOONG stint in region 3

Most of their years in Region 3 it was the district that they couldn't get out of not the region they couldn't handle. Note: Almost same distrit in different region may not make much difference.

They are getting a little more talented and hungry, but to say it is the region is not a good post.

buff4ever
08-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
we did have a dang good team that year, size and speed everywhere

Can you believe that was pre brock or Coach Fitz. Two years before that was the same story. Lost to a good cuero team on the last drive of the game in the semis.

Pudlugger
08-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
Most of their years in Region 3 it was the district that they couldn't get out of not the region they couldn't handle. Note: Almost same distrit in different region may not make much difference.

They are getting a little more talented and hungry, but to say it is the region is not a good post.

The Leps went to the Regional finals in Region 3 in 2002 and 2003. They went to the first round in 2006. They did not make the playoffs in 2004, 2005 and 2007. They were district champions in 2002 and 2003. They were third in district in 2006 and 4th in 2007. In 2005 they were 5th in an 8 team district and 2007 4th in a 6 team district. I don't think yall know what you're talking about but that is not a bad record. 38 wins and 28 losses and 3 playoff appearances in 6 seasons.:thinking:

Necks_Fan
08-12-2008, 06:00 PM
we're still optimistic....we figure that last year's 7th grade b-team could have put 20+ points up on The Roughneck varsity team. We'll be alright. OK, I guess you are obviously easily impressed. They had a great game, I'll give them that.....

WC did not have a good Run D last year, and our Starting C and CB were both out. One with a broken ankle, the other with a broken hand. We played short handed and Needville had their best game of the season and it was still not as bad as you make it out to be..... Obviously you don't know the effects of graduation, we felt that last season. You dont recall the a$$ beating the Jays took in 06?

That's quite a bit of cockiness from a fan of a team that is not going to be very impressive.

IHStangFan
08-12-2008, 06:20 PM
OK, I guess you are obviously easily impressed. They had a great game, I'll give them that.....

WC did not have a good Run D last year, and our Starting C and CB were both out. One with a broken ankle, the other with a broken hand. We played short handed and Needville had their best game of the season and it was still not as bad as you make it out to be..... Obviously you don't know the effects of graduation, we felt that last season. You dont recall the a$$ beating the Jays took in 06?

That's quite a bit of cockiness from a fan of a team that is not going to be very impressive. LOL...remember the other day you said you were trying to get under my skin? I tried the same....and it worked. I'm just yanking your chain bud, I don't REALLY think the 7th B team could beat up on WC...so relax amigo.

buff4life
08-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Can you believe that was pre brock or Coach Fitz. Two years before that was the same story. Lost to a good cuero team on the last drive of the game in the semis.

those were the good days, corn fed boys running straight at you with the I with short and intermediate passing, no spread, veer, or wing T or any of that stuff...i would love to see that team competing today...

Necks_Fan
08-12-2008, 06:24 PM
LOL...remember the other day you said you were trying to get under my skin? I tried the same....and it worked. I'm just yanking your chain bud, I don't REALLY think the 7th B team could beat up on WC...so relax amigo. Well duh, I knew you didn't mean that seriously.... but c'mon.....

duke55
08-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Well duh, I knew you didn't mean that seriously.... but c'mon.....

dont get too mad now....

duke55
08-12-2008, 09:10 PM
dont get too mad now.

Pudlugger
08-13-2008, 07:18 AM
La Grange has Yokum on the schedule in week 2. What do the Bulldogs have this season? They have been down the past couple of seasons but traditionally a powerful program in their region. The Bulldogs are very competitive and the Leps always have their hands full playing them. Any word on this season Bulldog fans?

bd62
08-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Strong junior class . around 20 juniors and couple of sophs.on varsity this yr. 12 of the jrs. started as sophs. last yr. very few seniors but good hard working kids. Probably a year away from being the caliber of team they had several year ago.

buff4ever
08-13-2008, 01:48 PM
The Leps went to the Regional finals in Region 3 in 2002 and 2003. They went to the first round in 2006. They did not make the playoffs in 2004, 2005 and 2007. They were district champions in 2002 and 2003. They were third in district in 2006 and 4th in 2007. In 2005 they were 5th in an 8 team district and 2007 4th in a 6 team district. I don't think yall know what you're talking about but that is not a bad record. 38 wins and 28 losses and 3 playoff appearances in 6 seasons.:thinking:

I don't think that 38 - 28 w/ 3 out of 6 playoff experiences would keep a coach very long in giddings.

Pudlugger
08-13-2008, 02:11 PM
I don't think that 38 - 28 w/ 3 out of 6 playoff experiences would keep a coach very long in giddings.

Maybe not. However, I am pointing out that the Leps have not had a bad run their entire time in Region III this past 6 years. How can you say winning two district championships and having 7 play off games in 6 years is a bad record? Granted 2004, 2005 and perhaps 2007 were disappointing but even Giddings has some down years as I recall.

As for changing Coaches, Valastro left after 2004 with a very impressive record but unfortunately his run ended on a down year 2-8 his final season. It was sort of a "What have you done for me lately?" thing among the powers that be. I liked Valastro even if he was a hard guy.

Walker has had the program for the past 3 seasons. This will be his 4th season and most folks are excited in La Grange this year and expectations are high all around. The program is completely transformed and new talent has come through the pipeline. Watch out for the Leps this year, they will surprise some folks( maybe even some Giddings folks LOL).:)

hookandladder
08-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Maybe not. However, I am pointing out that the Leps have not had a bad run their entire time in Region III this past 6 years. How can you say winning two district championships and having 7 play off games in 6 years is a bad record? Granted 2004, 2005 and perhaps 2007 were disappointing but even Giddings has some down years as I recall.

As for changing Coaches, Valastro left after 2004 with a very impressive record but unfortunately his run ended on a down year 2-8 his final season. It was sort of a "What have you done for me lately?" thing among the powers that be. I liked Valastro even if he was a hard guy.

Walker has had the program for the past 3 seasons. This will be his 4th season and most folks are excited in La Grange this year and expectations are high all around. The program is completely transformed and new talent has come through the pipeline. Watch out for the Leps this year, they will surprise some folks( maybe even some Giddings folks LOL).:)

Valastro did what he was hired to do, win in football. He did a very good job with a great run of athlete's, his downfall he did not care for any other sport. He wanted all the spotlight on his football program, Coach Walker is not only a good football coach he also takes pride in all sports. Any AD that comes to Baseball games and flips burgers all night is A OK in my book. Just shows what kind of person he is.

Pudlugger
08-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Valastro did what he was hired to do, win in football. He did a very good job with a great run of athlete's, his downfall he did not care for any other sport. He wanted all the spotlight on his football program, Coach Walker is not only a good football coach he also takes pride in all sports. Any AD that comes to Baseball games and flips burgers all night is A OK in my book. Just shows what kind of person he is.

During Valastro's tenure the Leps won two state championships in baseball. They did well in softball and tennis also. Basketball was never strong but the season overlaps with football playoffs and since the Leps had so much success in football the athlete's were tied up. Perhaps it was more of a personality issue than not caring about other sports. Coach Walker seems to be well liked among the players and parents as well as other faculty so that is great. I hope he can bring back the winning traditions La Grange has enjoyed the past decade. :)

hookandladder
08-13-2008, 04:08 PM
During Valastro's tenure the Leps won two state championships in baseball. They did well in softball and tennis also. Basketball was never strong but the season overlaps with football playoffs and since the Leps had so much success in football the athlete's were tied up. Perhaps it was more of a personality issue than not caring about other sports. Coach Walker seems to be well liked among the players and parents as well as other faculty so that is great. I hope he can bring back the winning traditions La Grange has enjoyed the past decade. :)

You might say it was a personality issue, I still remember being at a gilrls JV basketball with his daughter playing. He would sit with his back towards the court and watch the fans, I guess he had to contrl the fans. As I said before when we had our great run across the board in sports, we had excellent athlete's with great coaching. Yes, Tony was responsible for football but had very little to do with the other sports.