PDA

View Full Version : Abilene Reporter News article about district 2-3A

Sweetwater Red
07-26-2008, 02:00 PM
District 2-3A: It's anyone's title
By Danny Reagan
GoFridayNight.com
Friday, July 25, 2008

Just minutes after the new realignment was announced last February, several people were already proclaiming District 2-3A as the toughest one in the state of Texas in that classification.

If it's not, then it has to be right up there near the top.

Abilene Wylie, Breckenridge, Brownwood, Graham, Snyder and Sweetwater - six programs that are known historically for "hating to lose."

That "mental" part of the game is as important a factor in a high school football victory as big linemen and speedy backs.

Five teams in that list had a winning record last season and four of them went to the playoffs.

Breckenridge, the only team with a losing record (3-7) was very young in 2007, but with new head coach David Fambrough and a solid core of 25 or so juniors and seniors, even the Buckaroos could be vying for one of the coveted playoff spots.

Brownwood (6-4) didn't make the playoffs last year either, but they're an elite part of Class 3A now. And if you recall, the Lions beat Wylie in the first game of the 2007 season, 28-21.

The Snyder Tigers (12-3) went the deepest into post-season in 2007, losing to Celina, 33-7, in the Division II State Semifinals. With more than 30 lettermen back, they probably should be the favorite going into 2008.

Right behind them were the Wylie Bulldogs (11-3), who were nudged by Gilmer, 28-21, in an exciting Division I Semifinal game. It'll be somewhat of a rebuilding year for the Dawgs, but a nice crop of juniors should ease most of that pain.

Graham (10-2) fielded a youngish team last year as well, but they advanced to the second round of the playoffs before losing to Argyle, 21-8.

Also making the second round were the Sweetwater Mustangs (7-5), who fell to Vernon, 25-7, in their final game of the year. They return more than 30 players as well, so experience won't be a problem.

Look at these two matchups in the final week of the regular season: Wylie at Sweetwater and Brownwood at Snyder. Winners of those games probably make the playoffs. Losers? Maybe not?

And don't be surprised if there are co-champions in this district in 2008.

Likewise, don't be surprised if a 2-3A team with seven wins fails to make the playoffs.

Tough luck in a tough district ... but man, will it be fun to watch.

http://reporternews.com/news/2008/jul/25/district-2-3a-its-anyones-title/

Cameron Crazy
07-26-2008, 02:27 PM
I can see why they would say this is going to be the toughest district in the state. I personally do not think it will be the toughest.

Graham is going to be another young team, but, they have proven to everyone they can make it through on not as much experience. This year should be an interesting one, we will see who comes out of the woodwork.

As of the whole district, I can't wait to see some of these games, its going to be good.

Sweetwater Red
07-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
I can see why they would say this is going to be the toughest district in the state. I personally do not think it will be the toughest.

Graham is going to be another young team, but, they have proven to everyone they can make it through on not as much experience. This year should be an interesting one, we will see who comes out of the woodwork.

As of the whole district, I can't wait to see some of these games, its going to be good.

When talking to you I'll say Graham has as good a shot as
anyone of making the playoffs.:thumbsup:

But as the season grows closer if you read a post from me
saying Graham sucks and has no chance at all...just take it
with a grain of salt. Where is RedWhiteBlue anyway?:devil: :D

Cameron Crazy
07-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
When talking to you I'll say Graham has as good a shot as
anyone of making the playoffs.:thumbsup:

But as the season grows closer if you read a post from me
saying Graham sucks and has no chance at all...just take it
with a grain of salt. Where is RedWhiteBlue anyway?:devil: :D Personally SweetWaterRed, Im not going to harp on you saying anything good or bad about graham. I will not be as into them this year as I was last. Just not feeling it.

As for RedWhiteBlue, I have no idea where she is. I haven't been on here much as I have been working alot.

injuredinmelee
07-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Where is RedWhiteBlue anyway?:devil: :D

reports are she is already sitting in her seats at the stadium.

Cameron Crazy
07-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
reports are she is already sitting in her seats at the stadium. She is the operator of the crane that is putting up our new JumboTron.

injuredinmelee
07-26-2008, 05:14 PM
She is the operator of the crane that is putting up our new JumboTron.

thats hot!

Cameron Crazy
07-26-2008, 05:26 PM
Yes, it sure is.

Especially when she is wearing a hard hat.

VWG
07-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Graham fielded a "youngish team"?
Go figure. They lose a ton of talent from last years squad, including a D-1 WR (Air Force), an all-state DE, and their 2 time defensive MVP MLB. I think they only have like 3-4 starters returning.

McCoy and staff will be coaching staff of the district if they make the playoffs.

BILLYFRED0000
07-27-2008, 10:19 PM
This is a tough district. Top to bottom my guess is it may be the toughest. I can tell you guys that Snyder was good last year having seen them personally. BW is good AW is good. SW is good. Graham should be good as McCoy improves. Only way it could get tougher would be to add LH or La Vega or CS or Celina to the mix. IMHO it is the toughest one to get out of this year.

RedWhiteBlue
07-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Yes, it sure is.

Especially when she is wearing a hard hat.
The hard hat looks great with my 'Bubba' tattoo and my wife beater!!!;)
I don't think our team was really all that "youngish" either.
THIS season- we will be "youngish". Case will actually be on the older end of the spectrum.
No doubt- this year will be a tough one... physically and mentally for us.

garciap77
07-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
The hard hat looks great with my 'Bubba' tattoo and my wife beater!!!;)
I don't think our team was really all that "youngish" either.
THIS season- we will be "youngish". Case will actually be on the older end of the spectrum.
No doubt- this year will be a tough one... physically and mentally for us.

You wear a wife beater?:thinking:

RedWhiteBlue
07-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
You wear a wife beater?:thinking:
Oh yeah!! But is it called a husband beater when a woman wears it?:confused: I only beat my husband when he deserves it.....:D

Texasfootball2
07-28-2008, 02:24 PM
District 2-3A: It's anyone's title
By Danny Reagan
GoFridayNight.com
Friday, July 25, 2008

Just minutes after the new realignment was announced last February, several people were already proclaiming District 2-3A as the toughest one in the state of Texas in that classification.

If it's not, then it has to be right up there near the top.

Abilene Wylie, Breckenridge, Brownwood, Graham, Snyder and Sweetwater - six programs that are known historically for "hating to lose."

That "mental" part of the game is as important a factor in a high school football victory as big linemen and speedy backs.

Five teams in that list had a winning record last season and four of them went to the playoffs.

Breckenridge, the only team with a losing record (3-7) was very young in 2007, but with new head coach David Fambrough and a solid core of 25 or so juniors and seniors, even the Buckaroos could be vying for one of the coveted playoff spots.

Brownwood (6-4) didn't make the playoffs last year either, but they're an elite part of Class 3A now. And if you recall, the Lions beat Wylie in the first game of the 2007 season, 28-21.

The Snyder Tigers (12-3) went the deepest into post-season in 2007, losing to Celina, 33-7, in the Division II State Semifinals. With more than 30 lettermen back, they probably should be the favorite going into 2008.

Right behind them were the Wylie Bulldogs (11-3), who were nudged by Gilmer, 28-21, in an exciting Division I Semifinal game. It'll be somewhat of a rebuilding year for the Dawgs, but a nice crop of juniors should ease most of that pain.

Graham (10-2) fielded a youngish team last year as well, but they advanced to the second round of the playoffs before losing to Argyle, 21-8.

Also making the second round were the Sweetwater Mustangs (7-5), who fell to Vernon, 25-7, in their final game of the year. They return more than 30 players as well, so experience won't be a problem.

Look at these two matchups in the final week of the regular season: Wylie at Sweetwater and Brownwood at Snyder. Winners of those games probably make the playoffs. Losers? Maybe not?

And don't be surprised if there are co-champions in this district in 2008.

Likewise, don't be surprised if a 2-3A team with seven wins fails to make the playoffs.

Tough luck in a tough district ... but man, will it be fun to watch.

http://reporternews.com/news/2008/jul/25/district-2-3a-its-anyones-title/

Hey, Red

The Snyder went to deepest into the playoffs statement it's excatly true. Yes they did play in the Div II semi's, but Wylie also played in the Div I semi's against Gilmer.