PDA

View Full Version : Stock Market?

Cameron Crazy
07-26-2008, 12:08 AM
I have been quite interested in the whole stock market world as of lately. So, I was wondering, do any of you have stock?

coach
07-26-2008, 12:30 AM
my dad is a stock broker so he makes me have some stock...but i manly have mutal funds....but that i know of are some like nike, disney, espn, and a long time ago i had a some shares with the boston celtics lol and i cant think right now but i know i have a lot more

jason
07-26-2008, 07:20 AM
i am invested in 3 high risk stocks:

Century Petroleum (http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=CYPE.OB)
Century Petroleum Corp., an exploration stage company, engages in the acquisition, exploration, and development of oil and gas properties in the United States.

ZOLTEK (http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=zolt)
Zoltek Companies, Inc., through its subsidiaries, develops, manufactures, and markets carbon fibers and technical fibers in the United States. Its carbon fibers are used in a range of commercial products, as well as in reinforcement material in composites, carbon fiber composite products, and filament winding equipment used in the composite industry.

US Energy Corp (http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=useg)
U.S. Energy Corp. engages in the acquisition, exploration, holding, sale, and/or development of mineral properties. Its principal mineral interests are in molybdenum, oil, gas, and gold. It primarily explores for hard rock minerals, including lead, zinc, silver, molybdenum, gold, uranium, and oil and gas.

all three are struggling right now, but we have high hopes for them in the long run....

i dont have a whole lot invested in them, i only put $100 a month into that account - the rest of my savings goes into a teachers retirement account throught tarleton...

Old Green
07-26-2008, 08:18 AM
I'm invested in heavily in my companies stock and have been for 33 years. A Fortune 500 company . We acquire and transport natural gas to the Northeast and Canada.

Heffelfinger
07-26-2008, 08:56 AM
Diversify your investments in blue-chip stocks (well-established companies). Invest for the long-term. Buy now when the market is down and stocks are cheap.

ronwx5x
07-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Heffelfinger
Diversify your investments in blue-chip stocks (well-established companies). Invest for the long-term. Buy now when the market is down and stocks are cheap.

This was advice used in the 1960's. You would have owned all the auto manufacturers (Ford, GM, Chrysler) in the the US only, all the US based airlines, no technology companies and certainly no entertainment companies. Things change and so have investing rules.

Back then, there were maybe 3000 companies with publically traded stock, almost all US. Today there are too many to count worldwide, but there are over 18,000 mutual funds that hold those innumerable stocks.

As a financial advisor, I think the days of selecting a few individual stocks and just holding them are over. You need a strategy to buy as well as one to sell. You need to understand growth vs. value as well as having international exposure. The largest bank, the largest insurance company, the largest integrated oil company and the largest auto manufacturer are all non-US companies.

I would diversify, use international stocks or funds and also have an exit strategy. Course that's just 17 years of experience speaking.

:)

Mcguirk
07-26-2008, 01:17 PM
I've been betting that things are going to get ugly for years. I still think I'm right, but my timing was off. I think the dollar is going to get hammered some more, so I have a ETF (Exchange traded fund) that trades yen, and am thinking about getting in one that trades swiss francs. I bought a gold ETF at the top, so I'm down there, but still believe that gold will rebound. Three inverse funds that will go up as the Dow, Nasdaq, and long government bonds drop. And one other fund that specializes in bear markets. The rest is tied ip in a short term US treasury fund for security.
If you read contrarian financial people, we as a country, are treading on thin ice. The mortage/credit debacle is much larger than leaders want you to believe. We're nowhere near the bottom.
And all the financial companies are in for more bumpy times too. If you can dig through all the mess at the Feds website, you wil find that there are 50-70 TRILLION dollares worth of derivatives contracts being held by financial institutions. All it takes is for one or two to fail to pay and they all collapse. And the government doesn't have enough $$ to bail them out. If they turn on the printing presses (as they're doing now) inflation will hurt everyone, forgein governments will start dumping the dollar and then we're in real trouble. The dollar will fall and no one will by the IOU'S are country is living on. Sorry to ramble, and I'll shut up. I follow this stuff out of fascination, but not a passionately as 3A football. My livlihood is tied to manufacturing and construction and things are a little scary right now.:clap:

Buccaneer
07-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Buy Gold! Whenever the inflation rate is higher than the interest rate gold is the best investment.

crabman
07-27-2008, 06:44 PM
At the turn of the century one ounce of gold would buy you one custom tailored mens suit. Today one ounce of gold will buy you one custom tailored mens suit. Gold is not an investment to make a return, it is simply a hedge against inflation.

Interesting stocks

Sears Holdings
Ebay
Dell
Pfizer
Ingersoll Rand
Disney
Berkshire Hathaway
Penn West Railway
Redwood Trust
Cemex
United States Gypsum
Merkel
Office Depot
McGraw Hill Publishing

Those are just a few. In every case you can buy them for less than book value and all are currently making money. Most pay nice dividends.

Emerson1
07-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Buy stock in whatever company is affiliated with the Redbox. Or if there is nothing public yet be looking out for it.

jimmyceatworld
07-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by coach
my dad is a stock broker so he makes me have some stock...but i manly have mutal funds....but that i know of are some like nike, disney, espn, and a long time ago i had a some shares with the boston celtics lol and i cant think right now but i know i have a lot more

Financial advisor Bry Bry, not stock broker.

Financial advisor.

eagles_victory
07-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by jimmyceatworld
Financial advisor Bry Bry, not stock broker.

Financial advisor. Apparently he hasnt been listening to the commercial on 99.1 love that commercial

coachkiss
07-28-2008, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
This was advice used in the 1960's. You would have owned all the auto manufacturers (Ford, GM, Chrysler) in the the US only, all the US based airlines, no technology companies and certainly no entertainment companies. Things change and so have investing rules.

Back then, there were maybe 3000 companies with publically traded stock, almost all US. Today there are too many to count worldwide, but there are over 18,000 mutual funds that hold those innumerable stocks.

As a financial advisor, I think the days of selecting a few individual stocks and just holding them are over. You need a strategy to buy as well as one to sell. You need to understand growth vs. value as well as having international exposure. The largest bank, the largest insurance company, the largest integrated oil company and the largest auto manufacturer are all non-US companies.

I would diversify, use international stocks or funds and also have an exit strategy. Course that's just 17 years of experience speaking.

:)

With all of that experience, then you should probably know that it is against most securities laws for you to be posting advice here.

ronwx5x
07-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Advice would be specific securities, not general observations.