PDA

View Full Version : Vernon wins in overtime!!!

Ranger Mom
12-06-2003, 09:52 PM
Way to go Lions!!

There is some confusion on the final score though!!

Ranger Mom
12-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Okay..the final was Vernon 33, Kennedale 26.

Dang...I wish I coulda been there!!!!!

aggie20dude07
12-06-2003, 09:57 PM
Upset # 3 for Vernon!

Ranger Mom
12-06-2003, 09:57 PM
Not very many Vernon or Kennedale fans here tonight!!

I'm lonely!!

Knightmoon
12-06-2003, 09:58 PM
Yep, me too-- Ranger Mom

aggie20dude07
12-06-2003, 09:59 PM
Vernon is one of those towns that everyone goes to the game.. I was going to go, but I have a friggin' concert tomorrow so I can't.

Baby Bear
12-06-2003, 10:09 PM
All I have to say to Vernon is good luck. I was at the Atlanta and Gilmer game Friday and Atlanta is loaded. They have one of the best defenses I have seen, and I know Vernon hasn't seen the speed out in West Texas that Atlanta will bring.

Ranger Mom
12-06-2003, 10:10 PM
Maybe not - but that is the exact thing Greenwood heard about Daingerfield last year...and we shut them out!!

<small>[ December 06, 2003, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Ranger Mom ]</small>

aggie20dude07
12-06-2003, 10:13 PM
Don't be too sure. Vernon is no stranger to speed. Up until recently they have had one of the premier track programs in the state. While they may not be a powerhouse now, they know how to deal with it.

Leopards,class of 75
12-06-2003, 10:13 PM
Way to go Vernon! You proved everyone wrong so far!!!! Good luck next week and all the way to state.

vet93
12-06-2003, 10:14 PM
Congratulations Lions!!! I wonder if we will here from all of the Kennedale kids about how good they are this week? Baby Bear...Kennedale has a bunch of speed themselves so hopefully it will be a great game with Atlanta. You have to be proud of a bunch of tough, overachievers like the lions. West Texas football is alive and well. Congratulations z-motion...you will have to give us a recap and tell us how your son did!!!

Knightmoon
12-06-2003, 10:19 PM
Baby Bear--It looks like Vernon handled the speed of Kennedale. Kennedale had tremendous speed. Vernon's defense is nothing to take lightly.

Go Vernon Lions. You picked up a fan along the way.

<small>[ December 06, 2003, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Knightmoon ]</small>

VWG
12-06-2003, 10:20 PM
And to think I predicted a Lions upset in a defensive battle... LOL
Must have been a track meet tonight between Kennedale and Vernon. Way to go Lions, district 5-3A is still alive!

aggie20dude07
12-06-2003, 10:25 PM
I wish I were at least a sophomore up here so that I could pull out and give it a good old fashioned who*p! for the Vernon Lions... as I am not, I'll sit here and think about it.

(If you are an Aggie, you'll understand. If you're not, there's no way you'd understand without thinking that we're completely psycho..so I'll leave the explanation out of it)

<small>[ December 06, 2003, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: aggie20dude07 ]</small>

vet93
12-06-2003, 10:38 PM
I am class of 89 so I will do it for you...Whooooop! :)

aggie20dude07:
I wish I were at least a sophomore up here so that I could pull out and give it a good old fashioned who*p! for the Vernon Lions... as I am not, I'll sit here and think about it.

(If you are an Aggie, you'll understand. If you're not, there's no way you'd understand without thinking that we're completely psycho..so I'll leave the explanation out of it)

Problem Solver
12-07-2003, 12:48 AM
Hey don't worry I never back down from a fight, this year was a great one for ole Kennedale, I guess next year people will say we choked but I enjoyed watching a team go all the way to the quarterfinals for the 2nd time in 3 years, If that's choking I hope we choke every year. As for all my noise talking on this site it was all fun and games, I rightfully will eat my crow!! Vernon is a good team I hope they play well next week. And for all the people that think the kennedale kids on this site are going any where think again. The seniors of 04 did a great job playing in 10 playoff games in 3 years. That is something to hold your head up about. Footaball is over but we will be back!

OLiNeMaN
12-07-2003, 01:39 AM
Losing in round 4 is a tough loss, no matter who you are. Vernon had a good team, nothing will take that away from them, they did something only 6 teams have done in 40 games. As for the guys from Kennedale... They are some of the best all around people I know. I wouldn't have asked for any other person out there to go to battle with. We overcame so much this year. Think back to week 1, we weren't even expected to make it out of district. We came together and made a great team, and a great run in the playoffs. Sure, it didn't end the way we had wished, but you know, stuff happens, it always happens for a reason. Nothing can take the hurt away. We just gotta put our heads down grit our teeth and push through it. Congratulations, to Vernon on a great game. Kennedale, we had a great game, just didnt get the outcome we wanted.
F.T.H. BABY!!!
Hogs for life.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-07-2003, 03:01 AM
What a great feeling to get home at 1:30 in the morning & rush in to the downlow and see all your support! Thanks: RangerMom, Aggie20, Knightmoon, Vet, LeopardsClass of 75, VWG, & the Kennedale posters that made their comments.

I would gladly take trips this far in the playoffs year in and out. Kennedale had a great team and a great season.

This was a really good game. Vernon and Kennedale both rushed the ball well. Kennedale's QB was awesome. He threw some amazing passes and I don't think the receivers dropped a pass all night. My boy did get beat over the top, but he shook it off and had a great rest of the night. I was so proud of him. He had 1 td catch -- on his back no less, and he had a pick that he retuned to the 50 from inside the endzone--it was called pack on a Vernon offsides. He also must have had 15 tackles on the night! At least 15! Vernon took the opening drive and rushed all the way in for a 7 point lead. Then Kennedale did the same excpet they had a long pass to set up the TD. Then they just traded TD's until overtime. The last Kennedale extra point they went for two and Vernon intercepted it in the endzone. That brought on the overtime. In overtime, Vernon scores right off and kicks the extra point. Kennedale never even attempted an extra point all night by the way. They get sacked by Vernon's #2 and it was like 4th and 15 and they threw for the endzone and Vernon's corner #5 makes a great play on the ball and knocks it away--Vernon wins. Kennedale converted like 5 4th downs on the night. I just knew that the odds were against them for that one in overtime. Vernon's defense was great all night. I'm not sure how many yards Rex got, He needed 90 to get to 2,000 for the season and he was close to that. Kennedale had great balance and they rushed well and passed extremely well. Vernon had the speed to match them, I think the longest run for Rex was about 30 yards on a 4th down and short, he broke outside but he never ran away from the Vernon defenders. So no more about Vernon not being quick or fast. They have played with Kennedale and Sweetwater's speed. Not to mention Graham and Iowa Park too! All of those teams are very speedy.

Well I just can't believe it each week. I'm so proud of my son and his team. Well it is time to give these boys their due: They have a great football team. Beating Decatur, Sweetwater and now Kennedale--well these boys are some players. They just pound that ball down the field and echo that with a solid defense. Give them some credit now Harris and Data Poll!!!!

It is on to the final four now.

rudy5307
12-07-2003, 03:42 AM
Could Vernon be this year's version of Bandera. One more win and they're in the big dance where anything could happen. I've been on your side ever since you took down my Decatur boys. Didn't know if you could pull this one off, but you did. Good luck next week against Atlanta, and keep on rollin.

bleedgreen
12-07-2003, 08:26 AM
ZMotion, as a Dad, I know the buttons on your shirt are about to pop off. What a great bunch of players and fans Vernon has. If the semifinal is any where near the Metroplex, I'll be on your side rooting. (I will make the Burnet game for sure.) That was one of the most competitive games I've ever witnessed. Thanks to the players from both sides...I sure got my $5.00's worth. Now wasn't that more entertaining than a 6-3 score. Vernon has an unbelievable secondary. They stuck close to the receivers and I remember at least two interceptions dropped not to mention the one's batted away. Good luck to all the Lions' supporters. I'll bet you floated all the way back up Highway 287.

<small>[ December 07, 2003, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: bleedgreen ]</small>

Stu Pidass
12-07-2003, 09:41 AM
RangerMom ... i got a great story about how great God is..... At the game last night it was my sons (didn't know it at the time #63's) last game as a WildKat. I was in the stands and Coach Barrett's wife sought me out as Coach needed to speak with me. All throughout the year I have done the chains for our home games, and tonight they needed some one to man the chains as the BISD had not scheduled anyone. I was so blessed to be able to stand about as close as anyone could during a game like this, and I must say it was as good as all of the posts have stated. There ware awesome plays on both sides of the ball and it was incredible to stand at my sons side even though the outcome was not what we wished. GOOD LUCK to Vernon this next week !!!

BTW, the funy part is that they paid me to do the chains, can you beleive it? AND you missed some really good food which I cooked before the game !!!

MASH4077
12-07-2003, 09:58 AM
First of all I'm from Decatur so it's tough to watch the Lions continue to play while my Eagles are in off-season,but I have to tip my hat to Vernon. They are not fancy.They just get the job done. They have the best secondary I have seen all year. You have won me over,so good luck Saturday against Atlanta.

wildstangs
12-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Who would have thought it? Thats why they play the games though. Congrats to Vernon on the huge win! Someone was talking mess to Sweetwater saying how they lost to a Vernon team that wasn't to great! HA! Winning the whole region isn't luck. Best of luck to Vernon and bring it back to the west.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-07-2003, 03:01 PM
wildstangs:
Who would have thought it? Thats why they play the games though. Congrats to Vernon on the huge win! Someone was talking mess to Sweetwater saying how they lost to a Vernon team that wasn't to great! HA! Winning the whole region isn't luck. Best of luck to Vernon and bring it back to the west.Wildstangs, I remember that post. Someone said that Sweetwater was beat by a good but not great Vernon team. They must not have seen either Sweetwater or Vernon play. Vernon's offense hasn't got much credit and after a 6-3 win over Swater, I think that is why some people didn't realize how good Vernon's offense is too. That is a testiment to how good Sweetwater's defense was. Graham and Sweetwater had the best that defenses I have seen all year. Vernon has played some really good football teams this year. From what I have read so has Atlanta so it should be another good game next week. I listened to the Gilmer / Atlanta game on Friday and Atlanta really played well. With 4 teams left in Division II, who ever made that post about the "good" Vernon team must adjust that. They have a great team.

VWG
12-07-2003, 04:40 PM
How bad do you have to be to not have a kid in the whole school of Kennedale who can't kick an extra point?
That blew me away that they never kicked an extra point or even tried to kick an extra point!

VWG
12-07-2003, 04:40 PM
How bad do you have to be to not have a kid in the whole school of Kennedale who can't kick an extra point?
That blew me away that they never kicked an extra point or even tried to kick an extra point!
Did their regular kicker get hurt?

fury900
12-07-2003, 05:06 PM
Vernon VS Atlanta Fri. 7:30 pm Birdville Stadium

mjbf
12-07-2003, 05:56 PM
VWG - In answer to your question," How bad do you have to be not to have a kid who can kick an extra point," How does 12-2 sound!? What was your team's record?

bleedgreen
12-07-2003, 06:25 PM
Kennedale has not had a kicker all season. I do not know why one was never developed. This is beyond my comprehension. I knew the games would be close once we got to the regional finals and sure enough they did. Vernon missed an extra point and then one was blocked. Game tied.

bleedgreen
12-07-2003, 06:34 PM
Kennedale has not had a kicker all season. I do not know why one was never developed. This is beyond my comprehension. I thought the games would be close once we got to the regional finals and sure enough this one was as close as they come. Vernon missed an extra point and then one was blocked. Game tied. Kennedale lost to Ballinger in Overtime. Kennedale must find a way to win close games.

mjbf
12-07-2003, 06:46 PM
Bleedgreen - It's beyond your comprehension because you can show up for 2 hours on Friday nights and can play Saturday morning QB and think you have all the answers. Are you at all the practices to see what is going on, do you sit in the staff meetings, do you watch game film of the opponent, do you work the 16-18 hour days and teach class and grade papers. Be a fan and cheer for your team. Since you are from Kennedale go ask the coach what his thinking was. I will be interested what he tells you.

vet93
12-07-2003, 10:23 PM
I have given some of the kids from Kennedale a hard time over a disagreement or two...but I would like to say congratulations on having a great season. I was very impressed last year with your team and this year has been no exception. The offense if very hard to stop. I stated last year that it has been a long time since I have seen a wing T team carry out ball fakes and be as deceptive as you guys are. I expect that we will continue to see good things out of the wildcats. To mjbf...I think that Bleedgreen poses a legit question. You know how important the kicking game is. Certainly there was someone on the varsity or JV that could have kicked extra points. Ballinger's kicker (the one that kicked the long field goal to beat Kennedale last year) sustained a knee injury...a tough blow. The next week we had one kid kicking off who consistently kicked to the goal line and another kicking extra points that only missed one the whole rest of the season.

VWG
12-07-2003, 10:37 PM
mjbf:
VWG - In answer to your question," How bad do you have to be not to have a kid who can kick an extra point," How does 12-2 sound!? What was your team's record?Hey there "Old School",
I'm not implying that Kennedale had a bad team. You have to look at that game and think to yourself... if Kennedale could've had a kid that could kick a PAT. What's the chances of their being in the "final four" if they would've had a kicker. And yes, I also understand the way coach's work during the season. It's a tough job, long hours of game film, practice, going through scouting reports, etc...
With all the athletes that Kennedale had, couldn't one of them stand in as a kicker? I bet Rex Harper could kick a 15 yard field goal.

PS- R-E-L-A-X