PDA

View Full Version : South Texas' Greatest Game

maroonpirate04
07-25-2008, 03:33 PM
To get in mood for high school football i was reading some of the articles from the Corpus Christi Caller Times back in the 2000 the printed an article about some the best games ever played around the Corpus area.

I found a short story on the Sinton Pirates (some of us Pirate fans might remember this)

SINTON 19 HITCHCOCK 19

Date: Nov. 29, 1991
Site: Ricebird Stadium (El Campo)

THE STORY: This Class 3A regional semifinal will go down as one of the area's greatest playoff games, mostly because of one brilliant decision by then-Sinton coach Gary Davenport. Hitchcock was ahead, 13-12, with 3:50 left in the game. Sinton then turned the ball over on downs, giving the Bulldogs the ball back at their own 38-yard line. On second down on the Sinton 45-yard line, however, Davenport called timeout and told his startled defense. "Let them score." The Pirates did, and ended up on top. Here's how they did it: R.A. Winston scored- just as Davenport instructed- from 55 yards out with 46 seconds left. The Pirates stopped the Hitchcock 2-point try, making the score 19-12. The Bulldogs had a 3-2 advantage in penetrations, but Sinton led in first downs (the second tiebreak method used), 18-12 Albert Longoria returned the kickoff to the 48, with 41 seconds left, Sinton drove to the Hitchcock 20. Then, with 14 seconds left in the fourth and 4, quarterback Ruben Trigo hit David Seago for the touchdown. The extra point tie the game, 19-19 to end regulation. To settle the tiebreak, officials first looked at penetrations, which now were tied 3-3. Next came first downs, which went to Sinton 20-12. Thus, the Pirates were able to advance in the playoffs because of one coach's gutsy call.

THEY SAID IT: "I knew if it didn't work, I would have a lot of explaining to do." Gary Davenport , Sinton coach

DDBooger
07-25-2008, 03:35 PM
93 Calallen vs La Marque game, its in two books as being in the top 100 games.

And thats all I have to say about that:rolleyes: :(
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii275/club93man/forest_gump.jpg

Maroon87
07-25-2008, 03:37 PM
I remember reading the article in the Caller the next day and just being amazed that someone had the onions to try that. I had never heard of someone doing that before.

Maroon87
07-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
93 Calallen vs La Marque game, its in two books as being in the top 100 games.

Even though we lost, I still count that as being quite possibly the best football game I've ever seen on any level.

DDBooger
07-25-2008, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Even though we lost, I still count that as being quite possibly the best football game I've ever seen on any level.
i got the first penalty in that game:mad: haha

injuredinmelee
07-25-2008, 03:59 PM
isnt South Texas greatest games a oxymoron? Like saying a "model prisoner".

there that ought to start the jabbering.

DDBooger
07-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
isnt South Texas greatest games a oxymoron? Like saying a "model prisoner".

there that ought to start the jabbering. alright, i did not know abilene let its village idiots use the internet! :thinking:

;) :p

Phil C
07-25-2008, 04:10 PM
Why didn't they kick an extra point after the td gift? It would have given them an 8 point lead and if Sinton scored they would have had to gone for two on the extra point.

Phil C
07-25-2008, 04:13 PM
A playoff game in Sinton in 1957 (I think) ended in a tie at 13 each. Both teams had the same no. of first downs and penetrations so they had to add up the yards and it took over 30 minutes after the game to figure it out and both sides were silent. By about four yards it was announced that Sinton won that tie breaker and advanced to play Scott Appleton and Plano who beat Sinton 6 to 0 I think. Can anyone provide more accurage details? This was told to me word of mouth many years ago.

Thanks goodness we now have OT.

Phil C
07-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by maroonpirate04
To get in mood for high school football i was reading some of the articles from the Corpus Christi Caller Times back in the 2000 the printed an article about some the best games ever played around the Corpus area.

I found a short story on the Sinton Pirates (some of us Pirate fans might remember this)

SINTON 19 HITCHCOCK 19

THE STORY: This Class 3A regional semifinal will go down as one of the area's greatest playoff games, mostly because of one brilliant decision by then-Sinton coach Gary Davenport. Hitchcock was ahead, 13-12, with 3:50 left in the game. Sinton then turned the ball over on downs, giving the Bulldogs the ball back at their own 38-yard line. On second down on the Sinton 45-yard line, however, Davenport called timeout and told his startled defense. "Let them score." The Pirates did, and ended up on top. Here's how they did it: R.A. Winston scored- just as Davenport instructed- from 55 yards out with 46 seconds left. The Pirates stopped the Hitchcock 2-point try, making the score 19-12. The Bulldogs had a 3-2 advantage in penetrations, but Sinton led in first downs (the second tiebreak method used), 18-12 Albert Longoria returned the kickoff to the 48, with 41 seconds left, Sinton drove to the Hitchcock 20. Then, with 14 seconds left in the fourth and 4, quarterback Ruben Trigo hit David Seago for the touchdown. The extra point tie the game, 19-19 to end regulation. To settle the tiebreak, officials first looked at penetrations, which now were tied 3-3. Next came first downs, which went to Sinton 20-12. Thus, the Pirates were able to advance in the playoffs because of one coach's gutsy call.

THEY SAID IT: "I knew if it didn't work, I would have a lot of explaining to do." Gary Davenport , Sinton coach

I wonder if RA shouldn't have just knelt inches from the goal and they run a QB sneak short on first down to use more time and then score afterward.

injuredinmelee
07-25-2008, 04:15 PM
alright, i did not know abilene let its village idiots use the internet! :thinking:

;) :p

It was me not Al Gore that invented the internet.

DDBooger
07-25-2008, 04:17 PM
It was me not Al Gore that invented the internet.
well i'll be damn
http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k434/helladamnn/jujitsubow.gif
all hail lord CYBERTRON! ;)

injuredinmelee
07-25-2008, 04:19 PM
well i'll be damn
http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k434/helladamnn/jujitsubow.gif
all hail lord CYBERTRON! ;)

now that reverence is what I will expect out of you from here on out.

Necks_Fan
07-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Maybe not SOUTH Texas, but West Columbia Vs. Silsbee 07 playoff game in Conroe.

Final Score was 44-42 I think. Anyway, a back and forth game the entire way and the best game I have ever seen. I about crapped my pants when we won that game.

DDBooger
07-25-2008, 04:23 PM
now that reverence is what I will expect out of you from here on out. you can expect in one hand and _____ in another. let me know which fills up first! :D

anyways, i remember reading about that Sinton vs Hitchcock game. i was an 8th grader, that was ballsy

Necks_Fan
07-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Why not just kick the EP? They would have been up by 8 and would not have had as much risk as only being down by 7.

I can see trying to get a 9 pt lead but I think I would rather have the 8 point lead by kicking the field goal.

Hm?:confused: :thinking:

injuredinmelee
07-25-2008, 04:41 PM
you can expect in one hand and _____ in another. let me know which fills up first! :D

anyways, i remember reading about that Sinton vs Hitchcock game. i was an 8th grader, that was ballsy

lets hug it out ____.

DDBooger
07-25-2008, 04:47 PM
lets hug it out ____.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c145/JeffGriffin/gold.jpg

pirate4state
07-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I wonder if RA shouldn't have just knelt inches from the goal and they run a QB sneak short on first down to use more time and then score afterward. At one point he was looking back to see where the defense was! LOL. I also wanna say that his sideline was trying to get him to do just that, but he was intent on scoring a TD. Why they didn't go for the XP, who knows? Maybe the kicker got hurt? *shrug*

Either way, that was one of the strangest games I had ever seen! The after party was C-R-A-Z-Y :D

Footballhudini
07-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Why not just kick the EP? They would have been up by 8 and would not have had as much risk as only being down by 7.

I can see trying to get a 9 pt lead but I think I would rather have the 8 point lead by kicking the field goal.

Hm?:confused: :thinking:

did they even have the "go for two" back then? When did that come to THSF?

Phil C
07-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Footballhudini
did they even have the "go for two" back then? When did that come to THSF?

Not at all. They could have kicked and back then the defense couldn't score on extra points.
A great regular season game was between Sinton and Aransas Pass in the late 80s. Coach Davenport had gone to Aransas Pass by Carroll High School and had success there too and Sinton was coming back. The game was in Aransas Pass and it was soon after they started to having OT. The game was well played and tied 21 to 21 at the end and we went into OT. Aransas Pass got the ball first and scored a td and extra point and was ahead 28 to 21. Sinton scored and it was 28 to 27. The Sinton coach decided that his team was tired so they went for two to win it and they got it winning the game 29 to 28 in a great thriller.

SintonFan
07-29-2008, 08:39 PM

SINTON 19 HITCHCOCK 19

Maroon, I'm not sure if you remember this thread but there are some dandies listed here too. :clap:
School's top wins (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=15582&highlight=sinton+hitchcock)

piratebg
07-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Maroon, I'm not sure if you remember this thread but there are some dandies listed here too. :clap:
School's top wins (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=15582&highlight=sinton+hitchcock)

That was a good thread. Some good reading in there. :)

Phil C
07-30-2008, 09:04 AM
I also wonder if he had got near the goal he could have stopped and looked around and just waited until some Sinton boys got close to him and steped over the goal line for the td. Sort of like punters late in the game who are going to give the other team a safety when they run near the back bounds line and wait until the defenders get to him while he milks off the seconds.

sinton66
07-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Why didn't they kick an extra point after the td gift? It would have given them an 8 point lead and if Sinton scored they would have had to gone for two on the extra point.

That's the $64 question. They had ALREADY stuffed our two point try on the second touchdown. They should have had every reason to believe they could do it again.

The really weird part is Davenport had the same thing done to him and Bush when they were at Alice. That's where he learned it.

It was a great game, but I remember one greater. 1962 Regional final between Sinton and Missouri City Dulles. Ended in a 3-3 tie with Sinton advancing on stats. Butt-kickingest football game I ever saw. People on BOTH sides of the ball carried off on stretchers all night. Sinton ran a STRAIGHT T and a Power I back then (even though they had a QB that could throw about 60 yds downfield). Murray Stevenson didn't want to EVER throw the ball.

sinfan75
07-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan

Hm?:confused: :thinking: basicallybecause if Sinton woulda got the 2 point conversion it would've been the same results. 9 point lead would have sent hitchcock to the next round. Defenses on both sides were beat. They knocked the crap out of each other that game.

SINTON81
07-31-2008, 11:00 AM

SINTON 19 HITCHCOCK 19

Does anyone have the whole story that the Caller Times put out about this game? It was one of the best games I have ever seen.
I have wanted a copy of the story for a long time. If I remember correctly the article said something about some of the players having tears in their eyes, when Davenport told them to let the other team score. I think it said that he told them that he did not have time to explain it to them right now, but just let them score.
So they did. They just stood there, and watched as the running back went by.

pirate4state
07-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by SINTON81
Does anyone have the whole story that the Caller Times put out about this game? It was one of the best games I have ever seen.
I have wanted a copy of the story for a long time. If I remember correctly the article said something about some of the players having tears in their eyes, when Davenport told them to let the other team score. I think it said that he told them that he did not have time to explain it to them right now, but just let them score.
So they did. They just stood there, and watched as the running back went by. The story I've heard is that some of them started to question him ( :eek: ) and that's when he told them to "just do it, i don't have time to explain it" probably not in those words, but you get the idea. ;) :D