PDA

View Full Version : HIV/AIDS Test!!

PHS Wildcats
07-25-2008, 02:00 PM
My Girlfriend and I was watching a CNN Special Sunday night "Black in America" It was talking about how the black community as a whole is declining at a fast rate. We have the highest rate of blacks in prison, but the thing that really hit me was the fact that while we (african americans make up 13% of the US population we make 37% of AIDS Cases. we also out number the whites 10 to 1 with infected people.

Black men represented 40% of new cases while black women represented 62% of new cases.

So we decide to get tested on monday and today we got our results back and we both are NEGATIVE.:clap:

I don't mean to get on a soapbox, but I'm very happy that we aren't a Statistic. This is not only a black problem but a problem for everyone.

Here's a article with more numbers

http://www.naesmonline.org/hiv_aidstats.htm

ronwx5x
07-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Please do not take this as a negative, but what was meant by "the black community as a whole is declining at a fast rate"? Surely not in numbers? Moral values, perhaps?

By the way, I'm glad you are both negative.

Sweetwater Red
07-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
My Girlfriend and I was watching a CNN Special Sunday night "Black in America" It was talking about how the black community as a whole is declining at a fast rate. We have the highest rate of blacks in prison, but the thing that really hit me was the fact that while we (african americans make up 13% of the US population we make 37% of AIDS Cases. we also out number the whites 10 to 1 with infected people.

Black men represented 40% of new cases while black women represented 62% of new cases.

So we decide to get tested on monday and today we got our results back and we both are NEGATIVE.:clap:

I don't mean to get on a soapbox, but I'm very happy that we aren't a Statistic. This is not only a black problem but a problem for everyone.

Two words of encouragement...no matter what color you are...

Magic Johnson

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-25-2008, 02:27 PM
I've always hated the term African American. We're all Americans and it's just another way to differentiate on race from another.

injuredinmelee
07-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I've always hated the term African American. We're all Americans and it's just another way to differentiate on race from another.
:clap: :clap: :clap: thank you very much. We are all American's. Trying to seperate yourself with tags goes against equality.

Sweetwater Red
07-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
:clap: :clap: :clap: thank you very much. We are all American's. Trying to seperate yourself with tags goes against equality.

Exactly!

Not to mention calling myself a Scottish/Greek American sounds
just plain goofy.:D

injuredinmelee
07-25-2008, 02:53 PM
When did it become that just being a plain ol' American wasnt enough?

ILS1
07-25-2008, 03:19 PM

When I got blood work done at the doctor's office for diabetes/cholesterol testing. I was surprise to find out that they did a HIV/AIDS test as well. I was surprise in a good way because I always wanted to take one and find out to make sure. The doctor told me it's a requirement now every time they draw blood. BTW, it has always come back NEGATIVE!!!! Woooooohoooooo!!!

:D :D :D

Bull's-eye
07-25-2008, 04:09 PM

Good post! My daughter has been working in Africa and one of her jobs is educating people about Aids awareness & prevention.

injuredinmelee
07-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Good post! My daughter has been working in Africa and one of her jobs is educating people about Aids awareness & prevention.
wow sounds like a losing battle to me. Its more than just an epidemic in some places over there.

injuredinmelee
07-25-2008, 04:18 PM
wow sounds like a losing battle to me. Its more than just an epidemic in some places over there.

quit sending rice and start sending trojans.

Necks_Fan
07-25-2008, 04:24 PM
quit sending rice and start sending trojans. :dispntd: :tisk:

SWMustang
07-25-2008, 05:13 PM
if you're not having male gay sex or shooting drugs intravenously (sp?) you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

ProudHornetMom
07-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
if you're not having male gay sex or shooting drugs intravenously (sp?) you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

WRONG,WRONG, WRONG. :eek: :eek: :eek:

DDBooger
07-25-2008, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by ProudHornetMom
WRONG,WRONG, WRONG. :eek: :eek: :eek: im sure he's kidding, or jerry falwell didn't really die:thinking:
:)

SWMustang
07-25-2008, 05:58 PM
I just don't know anyone who contracted AIDS through heterosexual contact - that's all I'm saying. I know 2 people who passed away from AIDS and they were both gay. If it's an epidemic shouldn't there be more cases?

People worry way too much about AIDS - you're far more likely to die from cancer.

zebrablue2
07-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang

big time wrong...

ProudHornetMom
07-25-2008, 06:29 PM
My background is public health nursing. You're not alone in thinking it only happens to "those" people. The frightening thing about HIV is that we don't think we don't know anyone who is HIV positive. HIV doesn't discriminate and is found in all populations regardless of race, gender or socioeconomic status. You can't assume that it's only a gay disease.

Don't take HIV or cancer lightly. We know ways to prevent or lessen the risk to both and should. Don't live in a paranoid state but live with awareness and knowledge and protection.

Here's some stats...

CDC HIV Statistics (http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/basic.htm)

SWMustang
07-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by ProudHornetMom
My background is public health nursing. You're not alone in thinking it only happens to "those" people. The frightening thing about HIV is that we don't think we don't know anyone who is HIV positive. HIV doesn't discriminate and is found in all populations regardless of race, gender or socioeconomic status. You can't assume that it's only a gay disease.

Don't take HIV or cancer lightly. We know ways to prevent or lessen the risk to both and should. Don't live in a paranoid state but live with awareness and knowledge and protection.

Here's some stats...

CDC HIV Statistics (http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/basic.htm)

I didn't want to ruffle any feathers but Aids has been around for 30 years now - I'd think we'd see a big epidemic by now in the hetero community. We are all at some risk but clearly gays and IV drug users are at a MUCH greater risk.

From the stats, it looks like women can contract from men much easier than the other way around - assuming everyone identified the cause of the disease accurately.

pirate4state
07-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Alrighty then & I think that'll do with this subject!

Be safe!