PDA

View Full Version : "I survived Hurricane Dolly"

footballgal
07-25-2008, 10:43 AM
My house and neighborhood is still under water and there is no power in the whole city of La Feria, since Wednesday around 2:00pm. I stayed in a La Quinta for two days just 5 miles from my house, the hotel was out of power at the initial hit of Dolly and continued for over 12 hours. I am glad I was prepared and had my hurricane kit with me, which included batteries/flashlights and candles. The NEW hotel was not prepared the emergency lights never came on and it was not equipped with a generator. Guest of the hotel walked around the halls and stairways in the dark. My car which I could see from my back hotel window (I was on the 1st floor) I could see it literally “jump” from ground due to the relentless gusts of winds(over 70-80 mph I estimate) and a Jeep parked next to us was rocking back and forth and I was just waiting for that thing to roll into my car, but fortunately it didn’t. What made the storm bad was the fact that it's stayed pretty much stationary for soo long. Otherwise it should have just gone in and out of there.

I am currently back in my office and happy to be able to communicate with the outside world! But, I am very thankful my family and I are doing ok. Family in Port Isabel isn’t doing quite as well as they too, are still without power and the humidity is really bad as you can imagine and all the inconviences that causes. They are however, able to drive to Brownsville which is only twenty something miles away, to get needed supplies. We are staying with friends in Mercedes; they have electricity and very fortunate to have electricity, as they are only a handful of people that do have power. What’s amazing is, that neighbors on both side of them don’t have electricity and he does, thank God, as we slept comfortably with a/c on. We anticipate staying in their 2nd home, next door until I am able to get back home. I am hoping to get back home, as soon as the power is restored in La Feria. Even if it’s still underwater, I still plan to return as long as there is power. We can probably park a couple of blocks away and just walk to the house – as there is no way to get in with my car. Water came up all the way to my porch which is about 3 feet high, a couple of more inches and water is in my home. The laundry room is at level ground so that is under water. My whole neighborhood looks like a bunch of houseboats.

I rode with my hubby this morning in his co. truck, since I have a car, I would surely get stranded somewhere with all the spots with high water on the road. I have some pics. that I don't have access to right now, I will update later.

LH Panther Mom
07-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Glad that YOU are okay! :)

pirate4state
07-25-2008, 10:49 AM
I'm glad you survived! Good luck with the clean up. :( Been there, done that...it's not fun!

44INAROW
07-25-2008, 10:56 AM
so glad you were able to sleep with AC last night.. Amazing how we take modern conveniences for granted. Also, thank heavens you and your family are safe and sorry about the laundry room but glad the rest of the house is OK - (don't forget to get the flood insurance ASAP) I know it didn't do you any good this time but you never know what's going to happen in the future :cool:

footballgal
07-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks all!

44inarow about the insurance, I am calling for sure. Payday was yesterday, so I am calling today, to see if they can sell it to me right now, or if I need to wait a little bit. Of course I am off budget a little bit right now, due to the unexpected expense, hotel and supplies, etc. but regardless I will put off other stuff and get it ASAP. Hurricane season is still very early, so I still get another chance to get it.

CheerMom
07-25-2008, 11:58 AM
So happy to hear that you made it through okay. Prayers going out to all involved.

garciap77
07-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Glad that you're OK!

footballgal
07-25-2008, 01:57 PM
check this out!

http://www.weather.com/multimedia/videoplayer.html?clip=11473&from=hp_video_2