PDA

View Full Version : Iraq banned from Olympics

Phil C
07-25-2008, 10:25 AM
So much for that tv ad that said countries were putting aside politics and coming together. :)

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=ap-iraq-banned&prov=ap&type=lgns

IHStangFan
07-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
So much for that tv ad that said countries were putting aside politics and coming together. :)

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=ap-iraq-banned&prov=ap&type=lgns if the worst thing that comes from it is an inaccurate TV commercial, then so be it. Good on the Chinese government. It's refreshing to see that at least SOME societies have a backbone and aren't as worried about offending someone as they are w/ the safety of their people, city and the Olympians who ARE invited. YAY China!

Ranger Mom
07-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
if the worst thing that comes from it is an inaccurate TV commercial, then so be it. Good on the Chinese government. It's refreshing to see that at least SOME societies have a backbone and aren't as worried about offending someone as they are w/ the safety of their people, city and the Olympians who ARE invited. YAY China!

I agree!!

ronwx5x
07-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
if the worst thing that comes from it is an inaccurate TV commercial, then so be it. Good on the Chinese government. It's refreshing to see that at least SOME societies have a backbone and aren't as worried about offending someone as they are w/ the safety of their people, city and the Olympians who ARE invited. YAY China!

If I read this correctly, it is the International Olympic Committee (IOC), not the Chineese government who have imposed the ban. Am I incorrect?

Phil C
07-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
If I read this correctly, it is the International Olympic Committee (IOC), not the Chineese government who have imposed the ban. Am I incorrect?

Yes

ronwx5x
07-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Yes

Yes, I am incorrect?

Phil C
07-25-2008, 02:39 PM
Yes, I am incorrect?

Oops!

You are correct. It is as you interpreted it. It is not China's decision.

injuredinmelee
07-25-2008, 02:44 PM
not like they would win more than a medal or two.

BreckTxLonghorn
07-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
not like they would win more than a medal or two.

I believe there were only 7 athletes competing from Iraq.

IHStangFan
07-25-2008, 07:59 PM
If I read this correctly, it is the International Olympic Committee (IOC), not the Chineese government who have imposed the ban. Am I incorrect? having some "ties" in China, I can assure you that the Olympic Committee is not dictating to the Chinese how the games will be handled in their country...rather...the other way around. :)

Phil C
07-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Great news! The IOC changed its' mind and the Iraq athletes can come and participate in the Olympics. :clap:

lostaussie
07-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Great news! The IOC changed its' mind and the Iraq athletes can come and participate in the Olympics. :clap: there goes the neighborhood:doh: