PDA

View Full Version : If your spouse or better half.......

44INAROW
07-24-2008, 09:44 PM
said to you "Honey, I wanna take you somewhere special for your 50th birthday, book the trip and let me know when and where"

What/where would you wanna go/do? I am trying to decide if I want to do a cruise (I've always wanted to go and just haven't done it yet) but I also would love to go to Lake Tahoe and do some gambling and rent a car and see the sights. I've also wanted to go to New York City but I don't think I am in the mood for that. We really don't have a time frame but probably a 5 day trip. I am thinking about doing a Monday through Friday trip - that way I have a weekend before to pack and prepare and weekend after to recover before I go back to work. I am also off the entire week of Christmas but I hate to be traveling during Christmas (I have grandchildren, can't miss Christmas with them) We are pretty much open on dates except for the 1st 2 weeks of Sept and the 1st and last weekends in October. Just trying to get ideas from a variety of folks. What kind of experiences (good and bad) have you'll had? Do you suggest travel agents? Thanks for any suggestions - :)

scrub c
07-24-2008, 09:46 PM
happy 50

Old Green
07-25-2008, 07:09 AM
Take the cruise:cheerl: 24 hour bar and buffet. Lay around on the deck all day and be waited on like a queen. PW would love the 24 hour bar:thumbsup:

BILLYFRED0000
07-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Old Green
Take the cruise:cheerl: 24 hour bar and buffet. Lay around on the deck all day and be waited on like a queen. PW would love the 24 hour bar:thumbsup:

Yes you will not believe the food and bar at all and there are lots of other things to do. I do like seeing the sights too. Rockies the Grand Canyon are some of my favs.

crzyjournalist03
07-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
said to you "Honey, I wanna take you somewhere special for your 50th birthday, book the trip and let me know when and where"

I'd tell her, "get back to me in about 26 years when it's getting closer..." :D ;)

No, but in all seriousness, I'd ask to go to Wrigley Field and watch a game there.

Daddy D 11
07-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I'd tell her, "get back to me in about 26 years when it's getting closer..." :D ;)

No, but in all seriousness, I'd ask to go to Wrigley Field and watch a game there.

i like the way you think, wrigley and fenway would be amazing.

alaska would be better though:) thats my dream vacation!

pirate4state
07-25-2008, 10:30 AM

What/where would you wanna go/do? I am trying to decide if I want to do a cruise (I've always wanted to go and just haven't done it yet) but I also would love to go to Lake Tahoe and do some gambling and rent a car and see the sights. I've also wanted to go to New York City but I don't think I am in the mood for that. We really don't have a time frame but probably a 5 day trip. I am thinking about doing a Monday through Friday trip - that way I have a weekend before to pack and prepare and weekend after to recover before I go back to work. I am also off the entire week of Christmas but I hate to be traveling during Christmas (I have grandchildren, can't miss Christmas with them) We are pretty much open on dates except for the 1st 2 weeks of Sept and the 1st and last weekends in October. Just trying to get ideas from a variety of folks. What kind of experiences (good and bad) have you'll had? Do you suggest travel agents? Thanks for any suggestions - :)

1st - Happy 50th.
2nd - Set a budget
3rd - Yes, get a travel agent :D

I've been to NYC twice - it was FUN, FUN & oh yeah FUN! Lots of great things to do & see and the subway system is a cheap & easy way (once you learn the lines) to get around! I'd recommended taking a double decker tour first, make notes of the "must see" attractions and then go back and do them. My mistake in my first trip was getting off the bus (LOL) at "attractions" I wanted to do. Instant gratification, but it made for a tiring day. I'd LOVE to go back during Christmas to see all the decorations. :nerd:

I've been to Maui twice - My best adivce: rent a car and explore. There is no need to plan anything while in Hawaii. :) If I were rich I'd move there.

I've been to Jamaica - that was business. If you go stay at an all-inclusive resort not named Hedonism unless you're into that sort of thing! :eek: :devil:

The best thing to do is set your budget, try to firm up some dates knowing you want M-F is a good start, but pinning down the month would be a bigger help to an agent. ;) The agency I last worked for specialize in leisure travel so if you want when you're ready I can get you in contact with them. :)

Ranger Mom
07-25-2008, 10:33 AM
I would go for the cruise!!

44INAROW
07-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks guys and gals - I have got my thinking cap on - trying to decide when, where and how much ;)

pirate4state
07-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I would go for the cruise!! :thinking: I wouldn't peg you for a cruiser.

I'd go stark raving mad on a cruise ship! not a far trip ;)

44INAROW
07-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:thinking: I wouldn't peg you for a cruiser.

I'd go stark raving mad on a cruise ship! not a far trip ;)
I am leaning towards the cruise.. laying around doing nothing, 24 hour bar and all the food you want........... hhhmmmmm kinda hard to pass up ;)
one serious question and PLEASE no one laugh ok - do they have TV on cruise ships? and how many channels? I assume there is WIFI?

Ranger Mom
07-25-2008, 11:06 AM
:thinking: I wouldn't peg you for a cruiser.

not a far trip ;)

I may not be....but I will try anything once!! :)

pirate4state
07-25-2008, 11:11 AM
I may not be....but I will try anything once!! :)

Once I'm way older ( :D ) I may decide I want to take a cruise and if & when that day comes I'm only interested in taking 2 cruises: Alaskan & Mediterranean :cool:

Ranger Mom
07-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Once I'm way older ( :D ) I may decide I want to take a cruise and if & when that day comes I'm only interested in taking 2 cruises: Alaskan & Mediterranean :cool:

My boss and her husband are leaving for a Mediterranean cruise August 12th and not due back until August 28th!!

pirate4state
07-25-2008, 11:28 AM
My boss and her husband are leaving for a Mediterranean cruise August 12th and not due back until August 28th!! Awesome. My boss went on an Alaskan cruise 2 years ago. He loved it! :D

Sorry to hijack Lorey.

CHS_Grad '85
07-25-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm taking my first cruise in Sept... it'll be a short one to Cozumel... I figured if I don't get too sea sick, I'd take an Alasken one later for a longer period of time... maybe for my 25th anniversary...

44INAROW
07-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Awesome. My boss went on an Alaskan cruise 2 years ago. He loved it! :D

Sorry to hijack Lorey.

HiJack away - I am getting all kinds of ideas :p

pirate4state
07-25-2008, 12:05 PM
I am leaning towards the cruise.. laying around doing nothing, 24 hour bar and all the food you want........... hhhmmmmm kinda hard to pass up ;)
one serious question and PLEASE no one laugh ok - do they have TV on cruise ships? and how many channels? I assume there is WIFI?

All that sounds great, it's just the idea of being "trapped" on the ship that freaks me out! :D :crazy1:

I have no idea about whether or not they have tv. Good questions for your travel agent!

Ranger Mom
07-25-2008, 01:06 PM
All that sounds great, it's just the idea of being "trapped" on the ship that freaks me out! :D :crazy1:

I have no idea about whether or not they have tv. Good questions for your travel agent!

I know on one of the cruises my bosses went on, the female boss came out of her room while they were at port somewhere, she noticed tons of people lined up on the deck of a ship docked next to the one they were on looking over at something on their ship.

When she rounded the corner to go to the pool, she realized what it was.

A Texas game was being played on a gigantic screen at their pool and the people from the other ship were watching it too!!!:D

So...I guess they have a humongous one pool side anyway!:p