PDA

View Full Version : A-11 Offense

DDBooger
07-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Even though im sure Celina's defense could stop it( :D ) thought it was pretty innovative.

Offense where all 11 men are eligible (http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=825031)

Old Tiger
07-24-2008, 07:22 PM
what a gimic

Rocket
07-24-2008, 07:24 PM
That is stupid.

Emerson1
07-24-2008, 07:24 PM
2/3 of that video the play was shut down

DDBooger
07-24-2008, 07:26 PM
well they went 7-4 and 3 straight playoff appearances. they credit the offense for that. so be it. don't think it would work everywhere.

CHSVARSITYDAD
07-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Ok do I have this right,6 men on 6 rec.,2 on 2 te,and 3 going after 2 qb's with the center picking up 1 defender. Some major college programs used this last year and 1 nfl team. Anyone know if Florida was successful with this when they tried it against LSU.

orange machine
07-24-2008, 10:51 PM
That is the dumbest thing since arena football. Thats not football that powder puff crap.

Additup
07-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Identify and read covered/ ineligible receivers - if those players release downfield it's a screen or run. You can't throw downfield if ineligibles are downfield.

Would you cover #75 going out for "the bomb"? No.
In addition, if he's going out for "the bomb" (or just down field), no other player can catch a pass beyond the line of scrimmage.

Why defend a covered up ineligible receiver? Makes no sense.

I'm sure the teams that beat them began defending them by taking advantage of understanding who's eligible.

gatordaze
07-25-2008, 08:45 AM
We ran this some this past season on my son's 7th-8th grade winter select team. If you have a great snapper it really can be effective. The key is that everyone lines up 1 yard of the ball and select players shift onto the line 1 count before the snap. This forces everyone to man up as everyone is potentially eligible. Covered/uncovered rules dictate who is actually eligible.

This is a referees nightmare and good for at least one time out!

The "punter/QB" only needs to be back 8 yards I beleive so it really is just a variation of the spread or what I have heard called crazy 8 offense. Typically, the QB presses the line of scrimmage with a roll out and runs or passes.

We used it on 4th down where the opposition had put someone back to return the punt. The "punter" rolls right and has the option to run, shovel to the upback, pass or punt. Because of the 15 yard split between the guards and tackles there is a natural lane to pressure.

Also because of the numbering exception rule, you better cover #75 on the bomb if he is uncovered or a slot. You have 1 count to figure that out.

LH Panther Mom
07-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
We ran this some this past season on my son's 7th-8th grade winter select team. I'm curious why a Texas "team" would run an offense that they won't be able to run when playing under UIL rules. :confused:

Eagle 1
07-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Its called 6 man football in Texas.

gatordaze
07-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'm curious why a Texas "team" would run an offense that they won't be able to run when playing under UIL rules. :confused:

Spread Kick formation under UIL/NCAA rules allow it. Our league was NCAA. What part of the UIL rules proclude this?

gatordaze
07-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Some examples...

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc186/jayraulerson/a11-1.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc186/jayraulerson/a11-2.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc186/jayraulerson/a11-3.jpg

gatordaze
07-25-2008, 09:17 AM
The reason that this offense will not work is that it is impossible to referee! It is diificult to make a eleigible/non eligible decision at a player level. It is impossible for a line judge to do it in real time. It is simply an intersting manipulation of an existing rule around the spread kick formation.

Additup
07-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Also because of the numbering exception rule, you better cover #75 on the bomb if he is uncovered or a slot. You have 1 count to figure that out.

In NCAA rules (which UIL also uses), the numbering exception , at least 5 players wearing #50-79, is only allowed for a scrimmage kick formation if it is an OBVIOUS kicking down and snap is 7 yards deep. You can kick on any down, but only on 4th down or at the end of halves for FG attempts is it OBVIOUS.

You don't have to have 5 on the line wearing #50-79, but if a player wearing #75 EVER gets thrown a forward pass, even the most incompetent official should flag it. (that's why they want to put all 11 players in eligible jerseys - officials could mess that up pretty easily)

#75 can catch a backward pass (lateral) though. :D

gatordaze
07-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Additup
In NCAA rules (which UIL also uses), the numbering exception , at least 5 players wearing #50-79, is only allowed for a scrimmage kick formation if it is an OBVIOUS kicking down and snap is 7 yards deep. You can kick on any down, but only on 4th down or at the end of halves for FG attempts is it OBVIOUS.

You don't have to have 5 on the line wearing #50-79, but if a player wearing #75 EVER gets thrown a forward pass, even the most incompetent official should flag it. (that's why they want to put all 11 players in eligible jerseys - officials could mess that up pretty easily)

#75 can catch a backward pass (lateral) though. :D

Not true, as substitution is allowed to put skill players on the field for kick coverage, look it up. We spent two weeks vetting this through the league. Unless UIL rules are different than NCAA this is currently legal. BTW we always used it on 4th down but we were told that we could on any down.

Additup
07-25-2008, 09:33 AM
The substitution is allowed, but the catching of a FORWARD pass by a player wearing an ineligible number is NEVER allowed by the NCAA or UIL.

In the NFL, a player wearing an ineligible jersey that wants to be considered eligible has to let report to the referee who has to announce it to the defense.

gatordaze
07-25-2008, 09:37 AM
You may be right on the obvious kicking situation. We used it as our punt formation. We also had only skill numbers on the field so the numbering would not have been an issue. The real issues is that the defense must man up and decide who to cover in a split second. The run, pass, punt option puts a ton of pressure on the defense.

This would never work in Celina because we dont punt to begin with!

Additup
07-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Not true, as substitution is allowed to put skill players on the field for kick coverage, look it up.

My point's about #75 catching a forward pass.

Here's the rulebook link. http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/Football_Rulesadc982b5-03fb-4e27-828c-c2d26b95e6c1.pdf

Consider it looked up:
Rule 1-4-2-b. (numbering and scrimmage kick exception)

Rule 7-3-10. (ineligibles downfield)

It is an excellent 4th down chaos formation/ trick play if ALL players are wearing eligible numbers. Not very good as a base offense.

gatordaze
07-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Additup
My point's about #75 catching a forward pass.

Here's the rulebook link. http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/Football_Rulesadc982b5-03fb-4e27-828c-c2d26b95e6c1.pdf

Consider it looked up:
Rule 1-4-2-b. (numbering and scrimmage kick exception)

Rule 7-3-10. (ineligibles downfield)

"On a scrimmage down, at least five offensive players on the scrimmage line shall be numbered 50 through 79 (Exception: During a scrimmage kick formation, a player, who by his initial position on the line ofscrimmage, is an exception to the 50-79 mandatory numbering, remains an ineligible receiver during the down until a legal forward pass is touched by a Team B player or an official. He must be positioned on the line of scrimmage and between the end players on the line of scrimmage. The ineligible receivers (interior linemen) are identified when the snapper assumes his position and touches or simulates (hand[s] at or below his knees) touching the ball."

What I read this to say is that the numbering exception allows for a team of skill players to be on the field at the same time and that the eligible ones are determined by their postion when the center touches the ball. Player #10 is not eligible if his postion indicates that he is acting as an interior lineman when the center touches the ball even though he has an eligible number.

This is all in keeping with my decription of our punt formation. The key is that before the center touches the ball we shift 6 of potentially eligible players to the LOS making them ineligible. The others are eligible as long as they are uncovered. We have 5 formations that make different players eligible. You cant scout it and must make the decision in real time.[

TxAthlete
07-25-2008, 10:18 AM
So we're trying to take the linemen out of football now? I see how it is! Always pickin on the fat kid!!!:foul: :D

ronwx5x
07-25-2008, 10:20 AM
This is making my head hurt. It wasn't nearly so complicated when I read it on Yahoo news!

:doh: :doh: :doh:

gatordaze
07-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by TxAthlete
So we're trying to take the linemen out of football now? I see how it is! Always pickin on the fat kid!!!:foul: :D

No we can keep one! I am just trying to give the snapper some credit as being important! My son is a 3rd generation Long Snapper! We are a proud lot of upside down passers!

Emerson1
07-25-2008, 07:22 PM
What is the rundown on Piedmont HS?

How big a school is it? What class are they in out in CA? How many teams from each league make the playoffs?

DDBooger
07-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
What is the rundown on Piedmont HS?

How big a school is it? What class are they in out in CA? How many teams from each league make the playoffs? its in the article i believe

DDBooger
07-25-2008, 07:25 PM
The question: how to effectively level the playing field for Piedmont, with an enrollment of less than 1,000, when the Highlanders faced schools with student bodies nearly twice that.

Emerson1
07-25-2008, 07:29 PM
How big is that compared to the biggest school in their class? Is it like Mabank running this against HP/Carrolton/Pearce?

Rabid Cougar
07-25-2008, 09:56 PM

This would never work in Celina because we dont punt to begin with!

I saw a bunch of Celina punts at the State Game.

Emerson1
07-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
To bad they still won huh?

Rabid Cougar
07-25-2008, 11:32 PM
Yes, it was.

easttexas3a
07-26-2008, 02:02 AM
Offense can be beat. Just like spread, all it is. You have to be able to cover one on one,be a solid tackling team, and have defensive ends that can contain the multiple qb's. La Marque a few years ago had a great defense, saw em play a team that tried this formation 2 or 3 plays in a row. They tried the quick out, ran an option with both qb's out of it, and tried a double pass. none of the plays worked, Lamarque rushed 4 every time, had a middle linebacker spy the qb that had the ball snapped to him, rest of the field played man with safetys looking inside since they were lined up over the tackles ..........of course it was la marque.

gatordaze
07-26-2008, 08:15 AM

Watch it again we went for it on 4th down 4-5 times. When we did punt it was on a punt/pass option out of the shotgun.

Beleive me I know as I counted 5-6 traditional punts all season. I love that we moved to Celina but probably not a great place for a long snapper to show their stuff!

Necks_Fan
07-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
2/3 of that video the play was shut down Are you retarded? I saw maybe 3 times where the play didn't go for atleast 3-4 yds. Everything else was 6-7 yds plus every play with alot of big plays involved.

I think the offense is cool, but a good pass D will kill it. I see it very difficult to run the ball successfully though.

Emerson1
07-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan

I think the offense is cool, but a good pass D will kill it. I see it very difficult to run the ball successfully though.
And most of the clips are against the white team with red numbers who were terrible and couldn't tackle.

Rabid Cougar
07-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Watch it again we went for it on 4th down 4-5 times. When we did punt it was on a punt/pass option out of the shotgun.

Beleive me I know as I counted 5-6 traditional punts all season. I love that we moved to Celina but probably not a great place for a long snapper to show their stuff!

A punt is a punt whether from a deep snap or short snap.
Had a "real" punt with less than a minute to go in the game, when you needed to run out the clock and couldn't.

Emerson1
07-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Had a "real" punt with less than a minute to go in the game, when you needed to run out the clock and couldn't.
Moral victory!

Necks_Fan
07-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Had a "real" punt with less than a minute to go in the game, when you needed to run out the clock and couldn't. Can you please let go of the past. China Spring had no chance whether you want to keep hanging on to it or not.

gatordaze
07-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Can you please let go of the past. China Spring had no chance whether you want to keep hanging on to it or not.

My point was/is Celina is not a good place to be if you are a long snapper!

Old Tiger
07-26-2008, 01:01 PM
My point was/is Celina is not a good place to be if you are a long snapper! if all you do is long snap it's a great place to be....don't have to do much but could very well get a ring ;)

Rabid Cougar
07-26-2008, 02:34 PM
I accepted that CS was defeated on the scoreboard but I will not accept that CS was lucky to be there or lucky the score was that close. I also do not accept Celina was the end all that everyone here makes them out to be.

With the 2007 teams , CS and Celina play 10 games heads up , they split 5-5.

I would not take that scenario with the 2007 LaVega team.

Emerson1
07-26-2008, 02:37 PM
I accepted that CS was defeated on the scoreboard but I will not accept that CS was lucky to be there or lucky the score was that close. I also do not accept Celina was the end all that everyone here makes them out to be.

I would not take that scenario with the 2007 LaVega team.
More like 8-2

LH Panther Mom
07-26-2008, 05:52 PM
China Spring had no chance whether you want to keep hanging on to it or not. So you were at the game? Because that's not the same game I saw!

Necks_Fan
07-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
So you were at the game? Because that's not the same game I saw! Your missing the point. I was trying to get him to let go of that game and move on. It seemed as though he was "clinging" to it.

Old Tiger
07-27-2008, 06:58 AM

I would not take that scenario with the 2007 LaVega team. but all that doesn't matter cause neither could or woulda hung with LH.

Rabid Cougar
07-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Two-a-days start in 8 days.

I will move on then.

As far as hanging with LH, we will never know. Just like we will never know if Celina or LH could have hung with LaVega.

That is what this board is for.