PDA

View Full Version : Texas Rangers Looking to make deal with Tigers or Yankees???

Sweetwater Red
07-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Okay I had to make the thread title look interesting.:nerd:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings

Texas Rangers

Unbeknownst to most of North America, only two teams in the whole sport -- the Angels and Rays -- have a better record than the Rangers over the last three months (45-34). So GM Jon Daniels says: "I don't see us unloading the farm system to get into the rental market. I don't see us holding any sort of fire sale."

But that doesn't mean the Rangers don't have some interesting pieces on their shelves. Step right up and make an offer for Vicente Padilla, Kevin Millwood, Hank Blalock, Marlon Byrd, Frank Catalanotto or Gerald Laird. Daniels would listen to anything that "makes sense." And to make sense, any offer would have to upgrade this team's rotation, at least for the long haul.

So why are the Rangers willing to trade Padilla, their leading winner (11-5)? No, not because of dollars. And no, not because he's an astronaut, either. Because he's as talented as any pitcher on the market. So the Rangers are telling other clubs they're willing to deal him if they can get back a young starter they can plug into their rotation by next season, if not immediately.

They've had only back-burner interest so far, from a group that's believed to include the Tigers and Yankees. But in one of the least-inspiring rotation markets ever, that could easily change in the next week. Incidentally, two pitchers the Rangers don't intend to deal, despite extensive interest, are relievers Eddie Guardado and Jamey Wright.

Macarthur
07-24-2008, 04:24 PM
I heard Norm on the radio talking the other day and an interesting scenario to watch is the Yankees & Laird.

Posada has gone on the IR and is contemplating season ending surgery on his shoulder. If that comes to pass, the Yankees have nothing at catcher behind Posada and could come calling for Laird. Laird is an above average catcher, a decent hitter and runs the bases well. He could be a long-term answer for the Yankees as he is the only decent FA out there.

crzyjournalist03
07-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Poor Catalanotto doesn't have a position that he can play for the Rangers with Davis now entrenched at first...he's still a very good hitter, and would be great for an NL team as a pinch-hitter/utility type.