PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty question...

Ranger Mom
07-24-2008, 02:56 PM
My son just called me and said he checked my mail and both my husband AND myself received a jury duty summons.....for August 4th. (We are still going to be on vacation at this time!!)

What do we need to do??

piratebg
07-24-2008, 02:58 PM
You need to call the court clerk and see if they will excuse you. The number should be on the summons. If they say you are not excused than you are SOL. Sorry.

Ranger Mom
07-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
You need to call the court clerk and see if they will excuse you. The number should be on the summons. If they say you are not excused than you are SOL. Sorry.

I have got nonrefundable reservations....there is no way I'm not going!!

:mad:

piratebg
07-24-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and tell you there is a good chance a vacation is not a good excuse. The list of exemptions is pretty specific.

Old Tiger
07-24-2008, 03:02 PM
fake your death.....your only option

SintonFan
07-24-2008, 03:03 PM
I just got a summons last week from San Pat County. Turns out my DL still had my Sinton address. I changed my address to San Antonio and now I don't have to show up.
You could always tell the clerk's office you don't like white ppl. That should do the trick.:nerd:

WOS87
07-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Midland County Exemptions and Qualifications for Jury Duty (http://www.co.midland.tx.us/Jury/Information.asp)

Ranger Mom
07-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Right after me and Jimmy got married, I went to check the mail at my old house for the last time. I stuck the mail down in the pocket of my car door and then forgot all about it.

About 8 months later I was cleaning the car out to sell to my brother and ran across that mail, there was a jury summons in it....I FREAKED OUT!

I called the courthouse the next day in a panic to plead my case. The lady was very nice and just laughed and told me not to worry, they send so many of those out at a time because they know many will be ignored, people will have moved, etc....and they just want to make sure they have a good pool to choose from.

Heck....when I first started working at this job, they sent my boss a jury summons and she wasn't even a US Citizen at the time!!

piratebg
07-24-2008, 03:17 PM
You may be excused from jury service if:

1. you are over 70 years of age;

2. you have legal custody of a child or children younger than 10 years of age and service on the jury would require leaving the child or children without adequate supervision (This exemption does not apply to day care workers or childcare providers.);

3. you are a student at a public or private high school;

4. you are enrolled and attend college;

5. you are an officer or an employee of the senate, the house of representatives, or any department, commission, board, office, or other agency in the legislative branch of state government;

6. you are the primary caretaker of a person who is an invalid unable to care for himself or herself. (This exemption does not apply to health care workers.)

7. you are a member of the United States military forces serving on active duty and deployed to a location away from your home station and out of our county of residence.

* You are not required to claim an exemption. It is your choice.

Buckeye1980
07-24-2008, 03:18 PM
possibility you can explain situation and the summons can be deferred for one month, you would not be relieved of your duty but still have your vacation

piratebg
07-24-2008, 03:19 PM
True. That is an option I forgot about.

Ranger Mom
07-24-2008, 03:21 PM
I thought it was strange the we BOTH got a jury summons....a couple can't serve on the same jury anyway...can they???

Old Tiger
07-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I thought it was strange the we BOTH got a jury summons....a couple can't serve on the same jury anyway...can they??? I don't think so but one of you could ;)

piratebg
07-24-2008, 03:24 PM
I thought it was strange the we BOTH got a jury summons....a couple can't serve on the same jury anyway...can they???

There could be more than one case/court. I got summoned for District court and was picked. Everyone who wasn't picked got sent to county court for another jury selection. You could both be picked for different courts.

Ranger Mom
07-24-2008, 03:24 PM
I just talked to a friend who works at the court house...she told me not to worry about it!

pirate4state
07-24-2008, 03:31 PM
I just talked to a friend who works at the court house...she told me not to worry about it!
LOL :D

this is gonna bring out the "you should do your civil duty" :nerd:

:devil:

Ranger Mom
07-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

:devil:

I love having connections!!:)

ronwx5x
07-24-2008, 03:33 PM

Last year I received a jury duty summons when I already had non-refundable reservations for Mexico. When I called the county clerk, I was asked to furnish an itinerary and I would be postponed. I faxed the itinerary and have never heard from them since.

sinton66
07-24-2008, 03:34 PM

Handcuffs.

pirate4state
07-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Handcuffs.

^^^^^^^^^^

hahahahahahaha 1st one :p

Ranger Mom
07-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Another question....how can they even prove you received it??

I mean...sometimes mail DOES get lost, ya know!!

I mailed a $200 check to my mom about 8 months ago, she never got it, I never got it back, and it was never cashed!!!

Buckeye1980
07-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Best is to have a job that prevents you from having to serve on a jury ( that would be me ;) ) Or you could commit a felony and that would prevent you form having to serve . Of these choices , I would recomend the first

DDBooger
07-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

:devil: or the "thats what is wrong with this country" crowd :) haha