PDA

View Full Version : Booster clubs

LH Panther Mom
07-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Reading about the turf & scoreboards made me think of this.

pirate4state
07-23-2008, 10:46 AM
I wish I didn't have clue. :p Booster clubs take up so much of your time especially when you can't find volunteers to help. It's usually the same few folks that show up to help, but the rest of the community has no problem B&M when we don't do something right. :rolleyes:

Emerson1
07-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Separate.

They don't buy the big things like scoreboards, we slip that stuff into bonds with the important stuff.

BwdLions
07-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Graham has one booster club for all sports. However, like most schools in Texas, football is king. Then again, football is king at most universities too (unless you're in the ACC).

Snydertigersrul
07-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Reading about the turf & scoreboards made me think of this.

At Snyder, we have a seperate booster club for each sports, girls and boys.

RedWhiteBlue
07-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
Graham has one booster club for all sports. However, like most schools in Texas, football is king. Then again, football is king at most universities too (unless you're in the ACC).
That is true. But if you will notice, they provide t-shirts for every sport and other fun stuff. They also include everyone at every single banquet and booster function. I have a daughter and she plays softball, basketball and golf and has never once felt like the booster club has not included those sports or girls. GO STEERS!!!

Ranger Mom
07-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
At Snyder, we have a seperate booster club for each sports, girls and boys.

Same in Greenwood!

coachkiss
07-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Celina has one...the QB Club. Due to the name and the fact that it only meets regularly during football season makes many think it is just a football booster club.

They do a lot of good things for all sports. However, I wished they met every week.

Texasfootball2
07-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Wylie has one all sports booster club. Even though football season is the main money maker each sport does recieve equal attention to some extent. Our booster club, AD, and our administration have a great relationship and work very well with each other. I don't know how schools seperate their booster clubs and compete with each other for sponsorships and fund raising. It seems like to me like your fighting against one another instead of working for and with one another. Maybe somebody can shed some light on it but I am totally against seperater booster clubs.

Ingleside Fan
07-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I wish I didn't have clue. :p Booster clubs take up so much of your time especially when you can't find volunteers to help. It's usually the same few folks that show up to help, but the rest of the community has no problem B&M when we don't do something right. :rolleyes:

Amen Sister! We have the same problem in our neck of the woods. :mad: I am hoping we can get a representative for each grade and sport this year. But I bet I will turn a Royal Blue color before that happens.:(

LH Panther Mom
07-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
I don't know how schools seperate their booster clubs and compete with each other for sponsorships and fund raising. It seems like to me like your fighting against one another instead of working for and with one another.
I wondered about that, too. We have one, and while we raise the most during football season, ALL sports benefit.

pirate4state
07-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Wylie has one all sports booster club. Even though football season is the main money maker each sport does recieve equal attention to some extent. Our booster club, AD, and our administration have a great relationship and work very well with each other. I don't know how schools seperate their booster clubs and compete with each other for sponsorships and fund raising. It seems like to me like your fighting against one another instead of working for and with one another. Maybe somebody can shed some light on it but I am totally against seperater booster clubs. I agree and how on earth do they find that many volunteers?? Sheesh!

crabman
07-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Here is a recap of one of my posts from a couple of years ago. We do all sports and spread money around pretty judiciously.

First off, our booster club meetings are held off campus at a business about 5 miles outside of town. Meetings are on the first Wednesday of the month from January through July. They are held weekly from August through December as long as Cuero is in the playoffs. In Cuero it has always been this way and will always be this way. A typical meeting is from 6:30 until 9:00 or 9:30, depending on the die-hards.
We have about 50 people in the off season and 100-150 during the season. It used to be men only during the football season except for the first Wednesday of the month which was "Ladies Night". We changed that two years ago and women come to all meetings now.
3/4 of the people that come to our meetings and support our club do not have kids in any program. Some are older, some are younger. Most are old diehards that keep the traditions alive. That is the true secret to our club. We have a lot of guys that were on the state championship teams of 73, 74, and 87. There are a lot of state finalists as well. We have been in the finals 10 times since 1970, so there are a lot of those guys floating around.
We eat really well. Steak, fajitas, enchiladas, burgers, stew, whatever. All cooking is done by volunteers. Usually just a group of four guys. Sometimes the women will cook. One week the banks get together and cook. One oilfield guy I know has "pork chop night" every year. One convenience store owner has "ribeye night". Sometimes the food is donated, sometimes the club buys it. Either way, everybody pays 5 bucks to eat. Beer is allowed since it is off campus. One 16 gallon keg is the limit. A keg makes 200 10 ounce cups of beer. With 100 people at a meeting, it's not like you can do much damage.
All of the coaches give reports from the previous weeks games starting with 7th grade B team and going all of the way up to varsity. Practiaclly every coach attends. The superintendent of schools always attends as well as a few board members. We also do basketball, softball, baseball, golf, cross country, whatever the season. Starting this year we brought a PowerPoint projector and screen to the meeting and showed the game films on a 6x6 screen so we didn't have to all watch a 19" television. That worked out well.
Our booster club does the usual things for the kids. Paint dressing rooms, repair lockers, work concession stand at junior high and JV football games. We have the Gobbler RElay track meet and sell footballs, shirts, caps, etc.... all the usual stuff.

Our booster club is pretty well known around South Texas. When Coach Reeve first came, he was really reluctant to come because it was so much different than anything he had ever been around. Now he wouldn't trade it for the world.

ProudHornetMom
07-24-2008, 09:58 PM

:ditto: B&M being the key phrase.

We have 1 booster club for all sports and meet once a month year round.

NastySlot
07-24-2008, 10:16 PM

hey was just wondering if one of the areas you have trouble finding volunteers is for concessions...during football the last few years our booster club has done something i thought neat......(it also help we have a few executives from i believe 4 out the 5 banks in town in the club).....but the workers at each of the banks in town have volunteer to work concessions during the varsity games........other organizations and business have gotten into the act......and they worked for free........but rumor is now with budget cuts around here........players out of season may be doing the work as fund raisers( more like for meal money) for their teams.

budget cuts.....there's another topic.....they cut out meals for kids this year....that stinks....i can understand cutting it for coaches but lets feed the kids.....................it stinks being a property rich district.....we actually do without while we send money to others....and they get more then us..ticks me off as teacher and a taxpayer.

pirate4state
07-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
hey was just wondering if one of the areas you have trouble finding volunteers is for concessions...during football the last few years our booster club has done something i thought neat......(it also help we have a few executives from i believe 4 out the 5 banks in town in the club).....but the workers at each of the banks in town have volunteer to work concessions during the varsity games........other organizations and business have gotten into the act......and they worked for free........but rumor is now with budget cuts around here........players out of season may be doing the work as fund raisers( more like for meal money) for their teams.

budget cuts.....there's another topic.....they cut out meals for kids this year....that stinks....i can understand cutting it for coaches but lets feed the kids.....................it stinks being a property rich district.....we actually do without while we send money to others....and they get more then us..ticks me off as teacher and a taxpayer.

our sports booster club has NEVER had football consession :( go figure :rolleyes:

we are in charge of baseball, softball & track concessions
each sport has a "commissioner" and they are in charge of finding volunteers to staff the concessions. if they can't find any volunteers (that's usually the case) then the commissioner has to man the stand.

i hadn't heard that meals had been cut or maybe i had & i blocked it out :thinking: that does suck :mad: