PDA

View Full Version : Argh!!!!!!!!!!

pirate4state
07-23-2008, 10:13 AM
When I came into the office this morning my PC was "frozen". Couldn't get it to do anything. There was a pop up window that said "updates ready" blah, blah, blah....

I think it is set to automatically update at 3am or whatever.

Anyway....

I can't even reboot the stupid thing so I turn it off and unplug it and leave it alone for about 10 minutes.

When I plug it back in and start it back up it immediately begins to update something this is what I see "configuring updates: stage 1 of 3 ___ % complete. Do not turn off your computer".

After this is completed (it's done this at least 4x now :mad: ) I get an error message that my computer could not restart and that it's gonna try to auto repair. Once it goes through THAT it repeats the whole freakin' process again! :foul:

It has been doing this for an hour!!! I have no idea what the problem is or how to fix it.

Have any of you had this problem?

I'm about to take a bat to the stupid thing.

Ranger Mom
07-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
When I came into the office this morning my PC was "frozen". Couldn't get it to do anything. There was a pop up window that said "updates ready" blah, blah, blah....

I think it is set to automatically update at 3am or whatever.

Anyway....

I can't even reboot the stupid thing so I turn it off and unplug it and leave it alone for about 10 minutes.

When I plug it back in and start it back up it immediately begins to update something this is what I see "configuring updates: stage 1 of 3 ___ % complete. Do not turn off your computer".

After this is completed (it's done this at least 4x now :mad: ) I get an error message that my computer could not restart and that it's gonna try to auto repair. Once it goes through THAT it repeats the whole freakin' process again! :foul:

It has been doing this for an hour!!! I have no idea what the problem is or how to fix it.

Have any of you had this problem?

Whose computer are you on right now??

injuredinmelee
07-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state

DO IT!!! DO IT!!!

BILLYFRED0000
07-23-2008, 10:22 AM
It is having an issue with the update. When you bring it back up try f8 to bring it up in safe mode. If you can get to the options use last known good configuration and it will bypass the updates and should come up.

pirate4state
07-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Whose computer are you on right now??

El jefe

pirate4state
07-23-2008, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
It is having an issue with the update. When you bring it back up try f8 to bring it up in safe mode. If you can get to the options use last known good configuration and it will bypass the updates and should come up. I have Vista Business. Will f8 work? This is driving me crazy.

BILLYFRED0000
07-23-2008, 10:36 AM
far as I know they have not changed that. It won't hurt anything to try it. If your system is having a melt down this won't affect it.

Emerson1
07-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Just let it go until all the updates are installed, don't restart when it's booting

BILLYFRED0000
far as I know they have not changed that. It won't hurt anything to try it. If your system is having a melt down this won't affect it.

If it was me I would load xp back on the system anyway. Vista is still a POS. They are fixing it but XP works great by comparison. I still like Windows 2000 pro best.

BILLYFRED0000
Originally posted by Emerson1
Just let it go until all the updates are installed, don't restart when it's booting
That works if it completes but if it fails it is looping. The only way out of the loop is to hit f8 on start up.

pirate4state
07-23-2008, 10:44 AM
That works if it completes but if it fails it is looping. The only way out of the loop is to hit f8 on start up. I think I missed whatever window I had to hit f8 :weeping: LOL it went back to the same configuring it's been doing. :(

Each time it does this, it takes at least 5 minutes. :mad: It isn't getting to the 3rd stage of the update.

My boss bought my computer and I told him I didn't want Vista, but he got such a "good deal" on it he didn't much care what operating system came with it. I don't even know if we have the XP disc. I'd love to have my XP back.

pirate4state
07-23-2008, 11:47 AM
I give up! I've unplugged the stupid thing and I'm going home! :D

pirate4state
07-24-2008, 11:18 AM
That works if it completes but if it fails it is looping. The only way out of the loop is to hit f8 on start up.

This morning the stupid thing was doing the same thing as yesterday.

I finally got to the options screen, after hitting f8, and even after choosing "last known good configuration" it still started back with the installing of updates. :mad:

My boss left early today so I'm on his computer, but I'm gonna take it to the tech geeks to see if they can figure out what the hell is wrong with it!

:(