PDA

View Full Version : A Battle In Aggieland?

Old Tiger
07-22-2008, 03:11 PM
First-year Texas A&M coach Mike Sherman prefers to use one C-word over the other when discussing his quarterback situation for the coming season.

There’s competition, not controversy.

Sherman acknowledged Monday that Stephen McGee and Jerrod Johnson are the top candidates competing for the starting job.

“I have confidence that we’re going to have a very good quarterback when we start the season,” Sherman said at Big 12 media days.

He’s just not saying who.

Neither quarterback was made available to the media Monday, and Sherman offered few details on the front-runner for the Aug. 30 opener against Arkansas State. While McGee and Johnson are the top candidates, Sherman said youngsters Ryan Tannehill and Ryan Dorman are competing as well.

Shortly after his arrival this offseason, Sherman sent a message when he declared all starting jobs, including the quarterback spot owned by McGee the past two seasons, were up for grabs.

“I think it would be unfair to walk in and just hand Stephen the job,” Sherman said. “I told him he’s going to have to earn it. In fairness to him and Jerrod, they both have to work and compete against one another and earn the job.”

McGee, a senior from Burnet, was used more as an option quarterback under former coach Dennis Franchione despite coming out of high school as a heralded passer. Along with proving himself to Sherman, McGee spent the offseason rehabbing from shoulder surgery.

McGee, who has thrown for 4,606 yards and 24 touchdowns the past two seasons, is expected to benefit from the Aggies’ switch to a pro-style offense. McGee was the top rusher among Big 12 quarterbacks with 899 yards last season, but he also showed his arm with career-high 362 yards to lead A&M to a second straight win over rival Texas.

“Stephen welcomes competition,” Sherman said. “Stephen is unfazed by it and didn’t bat and eyelash when I told him it was an open competition. If I would have said Stephen has been the quarterback and will continue to be the quarterback, I think the biggest disservice would have been to Stephen. I think he wants to prove to people, if he ends up being the guy, he won the job and it wasn’t given to him.”

Johnson, a sophomore from Humble, is athletic and possesses what Sherman calls a “rocket arm.” As a backup last season, Johnson led the Aggies to touchdowns on six of eight drives.

The downside is Johnson remains raw (he played in only five games as a true freshman) and is unknown as a pocket passer.

“He’s never really taken snaps under center,” Sherman said. “His drop points and being consistent in the pocket are probably things he’s just worked on this summer. He made a lot of progress in the spring.”

Sherman said he would like to make a decision on a quarterback within the first “7-10 days” of training camp.

Regardless of who wins the job, Sherman said the Aggies won’t have to change offensively to fit a certain style.

“We would run what we run whether anyone of them is in there,” he said. “We wouldn’t change a lot.”

Sherman said he would prefer not to rotate QBs

“I’ve never done that as a head coach,” he said. “It just seems kind of sticky to me.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/5900382.html

popcorn screen
07-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Good for coach! Competition brings out the best in everyone.

Phil C
07-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Stephen should be allowed to speak for himself.

popcorn screen
07-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Stephen is a superb athlete and is a tough football player. however, Johnson can go and he has a different gear than most players. I am glad that there is an open competition, and they will play the QB that gives them the best chance to win. I am sure that they will both be on the field. Both are too good to be carrying a clipboars.

Johnny Utah
07-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Phil C, you dont get it. Anyhoo.. great job by Sherman. Hold the players accountable, what a concept. And in turn, this holds the Aggie program accountable. Man what a concept. Coaches will have to coach their tails off and in turn the best players play.

Panther One
07-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Stephen should be allowed to speak for himself.
Stephen has had to do way too much speaking the past couple of years. The guy needed a break from the media.

I still think McGee will be the starter with Johnson and possibly even Tannehill seeing some playing time. I think Sherman is using the competition to get all he can out of both and to see how Johnson handles the pressure of battling for a starting job as opposed to showing up everyday as the backup. A lot of Aggies make Jerrod out to be the next VY, but he is far from that level. He's probably a little better passer than Vince, but nowhere near the runner. He's an athletic QB, but at 6'6, he's not your typical dual-threat QB. He's a long strider, doesn't have great quickness, and in the open field, isn't any faster than McGee. Having a mobile QB can work to your advantage, but in Sherman's offense next year, I think accuracy in the passing game is more important, which is why McGee gets the nod.

I think Stephen will finally get a chance to showcase the skills he demonstrated in Burnet for three years, improving as the season goes on, and ends up as a late round draft pick or free agent signee. Then if his NFL career doesn't take off, he'll be on a hunting show.

3ABirdMan
07-22-2008, 06:58 PM
I got to see Johnson in action against Baylor this year @ A&M, once the game was pretty much over. While I'm sure Baylor had made a few subs on their "D", Johnson more or less had his way against them, scoring from about 60 yards out in about 5 plays (as I recall). He reminded me (eerily) of Vince Young, the way he moved and with his quickness - Like he had another gear that nobody else had. Now, how well can he throw the ball? I have no clue! But I KNOW he can run!

Oh, and he scored so quickly, he DID NOT get to go back out on the next possesion - someone else got to go on that one, as well as the next.............. I guess they didn't want to run up the score to mucH? IDK

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by 3ABirdMan
I got to see Johnson in action against Baylor this year @ A&M, once the game was pretty much over. While I'm sure Baylor had made a few subs on their "D", Johnson more or less had his way against them, scoring from about 60 yards out in about 5 plays (as I recall). He reminded me (eerily) of Vince Young, the way he moved and with his quickness - Like he had another gear that nobody else had. Now, how well can he throw the ball? I have no clue! But I KNOW he can run!

Oh, and he scored so quickly, he DID NOT get to go back out on the next possesion - someone else got to go on that one, as well as the next.............. I guess they didn't want to run up the score to mucH? IDK

I think he has the potential to be better than VY ever was...

Emerson1
07-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Says the aggie

DDBooger
07-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Says the aggie and every other fan of a tall qb who can run fast and throw pretty good lol...well it would be cool to see someone that good again :)

eagles_victory
07-22-2008, 07:49 PM
I think he has the potential to be better than VY ever was... what was Barts dads name on the Simpsons?

popcorn screen
07-22-2008, 09:40 PM
How about the i formation for the stud TB. I wonder if he will have a breakout year? What do you think?

neck_06
07-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue

The downside is Johnson remains raw (he played in only five games as a true freshman) and is unknown as a pocket passer.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/5900382.html

jerrod was a redshirt-freshman last year....i wish newspapers would get the facts straight one time.

as for the competition, i think its the best thing FOR ALL POSITIONS. after the past 2 years i think this is what we need.

rockdale80
07-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Says the aggie

And someone that has first hand experience. The fact that he practices with those guys should give him some merit. :)

espn1
07-22-2008, 10:56 PM
McGee will be the starting QB. He's already established himself as the Leader. Respect is earned not given. It would be absolutely stupid to do other wise. A new Coach isn't going to jump off of the deep end his first year.

BobcatBenny
07-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Well, I hope one of A&M's QBs wins the starting position.

Otherwise they will probably be winless this season! :eek: :eek: :eek:

:p

coach
07-23-2008, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
what was Barts dads name on the Simpsons?
or u could say whats that guys name on emersons avitar

eagles_victory
07-23-2008, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by coach
or u could say whats that guys name on emersons avitar Im just saying an unproven Quarterback being compared to one of the greastest college football players in the last 25 years is a pretty homerish statement. Reminds me of the Jaxson Appel days in Aggieland.

coach
07-23-2008, 12:31 AM
i agree thats like saying jake long will be better than orlando pace

big daddy russ
07-23-2008, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Reminds me of the Jaxson Appel days in Aggieland.
I don't know what you're talking about with Appel. Four-year starter, four-time All-Big XII, what's not to like about him?

eagles_victory
07-23-2008, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I don't know what you're talking about with Appel. Four-year starter, four-time All-Big XII, what's not to like about him? when you have people telling you he should win the heisman lol

BwdLions
07-23-2008, 09:15 AM

This is by far the most ridiculous statement I've read in a long time. :crazy1:

RedWhiteBlue
07-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Oh no he didn't............
(see comment below)

navscanmaster
07-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
Oh no he didn't............
(see comment below)

What's wrong with thinking someone has potential? After all, he didn't say "he is better than Vince Young ever was." I don't agree with BBDE's take, but then again, I don't play football for the Aggies and see what the guy can do on a daily basis. But I won't make fun of him for a simple personal assessment of potential.

RedWhiteBlue
07-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
What's wrong with thinking someone has potential? After all, he didn't say "he is better than Vince Young ever was." I don't agree with BBDE's take, but then again, I don't play football for the Aggies and see what the guy can do on a daily basis. But I won't make fun of him for a simple personal assessment of potential.
And that was my opinion. Plus I guess I could of put a cute little :p , too to make everything pretty.

BwdLions
07-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by navscanmaster

Read the statement a little closer. (It has nothing to do with being a Longhorn or an aggie). It's fine to talk about a kid's potential. There's no doubt the kid has huge potential. However, when you throw in Vince Young and add the words "better than VY ever was," that's just not right.

VY has what you'd call proven potential, the aggie QB has untapped potential (at least on the college level).

RedWhiteBlue
07-23-2008, 01:24 PM
OK.:)

rockdale80
07-23-2008, 02:32 PM
[i]

VY has what you'd call proven potential, the aggie QB has untapped potential (at least on the college level). [/B]

proven potential?
untapped potential?

That doesnt make sense.

po·ten·tial Audio Help /pəˈtɛnʃəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[puh-ten-shuhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. possible, as opposed to actual: the potential uses of nuclear energy.
2. capable of being or becoming: a potential danger to safety.
3. Grammar. expressing possibility: the potential subjunctive in Latin; the potential use of can in I can go.
4. Archaic. potent1.
–noun 5. possibility; potentiality: an investment that has little growth potential.
6. a latent excellence or ability that may or may not be developed.
7. Grammar. a. a potential aspect, mood, construction, case, etc.
b. a form in the potential.

8. Electricity. electric potential (def. 1).
9. Mathematics, Physics. a type of function from which the intensity of a field may be derived, usually by differentiation.
10. someone or something that is considered a worthwhile possibility: The list of job applications has been narrowed to half a dozen potentials.

;)

espn1
07-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
proven potential?
untapped potential?

That doesnt make sense.

po·ten·tial Audio Help /pəˈtɛnʃəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[puh-ten-shuhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. possible, as opposed to actual: the potential uses of nuclear energy.
3. Grammar. expressing possibility: the potential subjunctive in Latin; the potential use of can in I can go.
4. Archaic. potent1.
–noun 5. possibility; potentiality: an investment that has little growth potential.

9. Mathematics, Physics. a type of function from which the intensity of a field may be derived, usually by differentiation.
10. someone or something that is considered a worthwhile possibility: The list of job applications has been narrowed to half a dozen potentials.

;)

VY is proven and has his Jersey retired. The othe guy has potential. It's a real simple concept.What anybody does with there abilities is to be seen in upcoming events. To reference Vince turn on NFL Game tune in, or review National Championsip Game.:confused: :confused: :confused:

BwdLions
07-23-2008, 03:59 PM
proven potential?
untapped potential?

That doesnt make sense.

4. Archaic. potent1.

;)

What don't you understand? Let's look at your listed definitions of potential.

2. Capable of being or becoming.

I would say VY showed he was very capable of being (and became) a great leader at the QB position for Texas. I mean he did lead them to a national championship. So since he proved that he was capable of being or becoming a great leader (great QB), that would be proven potential.

The aggie QB (Johnson) has yet proven he is capable of being or becoming a great leader (great QB) for the aggies, so that's how I get untapped (unproven) potential.

rockdale80
07-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions

I would say VY showed he was very capable of being (and became) a great leader at the QB position for Texas. I mean he did lead them to a national championship. So since he proved that he was capable of being or becoming a great leader (great QB), that would be proven potential.

The aggie QB (Johnson) has yet proven he is capable of being or becoming a great leader (great QB) for the aggies, so that's how I get untapped (unproven) potential.

I know what you meant, but proven potential doesnt make sense. Untapped potential is redundant. It was your wording, not your point. What is proven potential? What is untapped potential? Think about it.... :confused: ;)

espn1
07-23-2008, 05:01 PM
I know what you meant, but proven potential doesnt make sense. Untapped potential is redundant. It was your wording, not your point. What is proven potential? What is untapped potential? Think about it.... :confused: ;) Untapped potential is what an athlete works on everyday. That's to better themselves. I think that proven potential is an oxymoron.

rockdale80
07-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by espn1
Untapped potential is what an athlete works on everyday. That's to better themselves. I think that proven potential is an oxymoron.

Untapped potential doesnt make sense to me either. Potential is potential. There is no adjective needed to enhance it. Atleast that is my take on it. :)

LH Panther Mom
07-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by espn1
I think that proven potential is an oxymoron.
"Reached his potential" makes much more sense (to me).

Old Tiger
07-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
"Reached his potential" makes much more sense (to me). I'd say exceeded his potential :p

LH Panther Mom
07-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
I'd say exceeded his potential :p :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Dude, it was a generic "his". :p

Big Papa
07-23-2008, 07:27 PM

basically what rockdale is saying is that he doesnt have anythng to disprove or dispute your point besides the wording that you used so he has decided to make that the main focus of the discussion

ronwx5x
07-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Big Papa
basically what rockdale is saying is that he doesnt have anythng to disprove or dispute your point besides the wording that you used so he has decided to make that the main focus of the discussion

.................................................. ...........:1popcorn: :1popcorn: :1popcorn:........................................ ...................

rockdale80
07-23-2008, 09:46 PM

:clap:

popcorn screen
07-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Hey, Rockdale.....would HBI be "Hot Beef Injection" Havent heard that since HS. Nice:cool:

rockdale80
07-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by popcorn screen
Hey, Rockdale.....would HBI be "Hot Beef Injection" Havent heard that since HS. Nice:cool:

I dont know what you are talking about :confused: ;)

Big Papa
07-23-2008, 10:30 PM
:clap:

;)

BwdLions
07-24-2008, 02:00 PM

Let's just agree that VY was one of the best college players ever. a&m's Johnson could become one of the best college players ever. (He just hasn't accomplished it yet). ;)

rockdale80
07-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Let's just agree that VY was one of the best college players ever. a&m's Johnson could become one of the best college players ever. (He just hasn't accomplished it yet). ;)

Agreed.

pirate4state
07-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Agreed. oh sure YOU agree, but we both know your brother won't! :D

Old Tiger
07-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
oh sure YOU agree, but we both know your brother won't! :D :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: