PDA

View Full Version : I Guess TO did this just to look good

Txbroadcaster
07-21-2008, 05:18 PM
LOS ANGELES -- It was just after 2 a.m. Thursday when I exited an ESPYS after-party somewhere in some uncharted section of downtown L.A., hailed a cab and stepped off the curb. After that, things got fuzzy.

I remember a shout, screeching tires and the glare of fast approaching headlights. I got just enough warning to leap over the hard-charging Honda Civic's front fender and into the windshield, shoulder first.

So, this is what getting hit by a car feels like.

When I came to, I was on the sidewalk, my shoulder hurting like crazy, shards of glass in my forearm and blood dripping from my fingers, while limo drivers and other witnesses screamed this way and that. The paramedics told me I was lucky to be alive ("Last time I saw a windshield like that," said one, "guy lost both his legs"), and all I could think was, "Damn! I just bought this Banana Republic tie-and-shirt ensemble!"

That, and "Holy crap, that's T.O.!"

Terrell Owens was standing over me. I'm told he was the first do-gooder on the scene of the accident. That he helped me to my feet and off the street to safe ground. That he didn't leave my side. It seems the mercurial Dallas Cowboys receiver is my hero. But my hero looks scared, and this scares me.

"Wow, you all right, man?" Owens kept asking me, but in a manner that would suggest there is no possible way that I, in fact, could be all right. "Don't move. Just sit there. Breathe. Don't move."

It's now that I noticed the car's jacked windshield, which sports a hole the size of, well, my upper torso.

Yikes, I did that?

"That was crazy. Crazy," Owens confirmed. "You all right, man?

I'm fine, nothing to worry about, but Owens is so concerned, so kind, and I'm so touched by this -- we hardly know each other -- that I think my lip is quivering. There's a good chance I could break down like T.O. at that news conference. (It's just not fair. That's my receiver, man.)

[+] EnlargeKevin Winter/Getty Images

After presenting with Kate Walsh, Terrell Owens came to our reporter's rescue on the streets of Los Angeles.
This is embarrassing. The crowd grew to include friends, like Page 2 columnist LZ Granderson, and strangers (one vagrant offered to wipe the blood from my arms with his shirt; another asked me for change). I mean, it was ESPYS night, people! A hot party was raging in a building not 20 feet away, and another one, Justin Timberlake's late-nighter, would soon kick off at a hotel nearby, and yet one of the biggest names in sports was spending his night curbside with me?

"So, T.O. was nice, huh?" says the medic who took my blood pressure inside the ambulance. "Boy, you think you know somebody, but the media doesn't tell you the whole story. You never know how they really are."

Guilty as charged.

When the medics were done with the paperwork (note: patient has lacerations, bruised knee, stained shorts, etc.) I headed back to the street to deal with the police, meet the driver and thank my hero … but T.O. was gone. He didn't care to wait for the cameras, the spotlight, the attention. Didn't need to hear my thanks. He simply vanished into the dark night, alone (well, with his bodyguard, also a nice man) like a samurai, his work complete

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=alipour/080720

Old Tiger
07-21-2008, 05:38 PM
wonder what g$$ has to say about this?

injuredinmelee
07-21-2008, 05:38 PM
Nice.

Emerson1
07-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
wonder what g$$ has to say about this?
It was really TO driving the car, he sped around the corner, got out and ran to the guys aid like nothing was wrong

Ranger Mom
07-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
It was really TO driving the car, he sped around the corner, got out and ran to the guys aid like nothing was wrong

That made me laugh!!:D

bobcat1
07-21-2008, 09:14 PM
That is awesome. I bet Dudofaman McChoke in Philly ain't gonna like hearing this.

Txbroadcaster
07-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
That is awesome. I bet Dudofaman McChoke in Philly ain't gonna like hearing this.

If your talking about McNabb they buried the hatchet two years ago

neck_06
07-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
If your talking about McNabb they buried the hatchet two years ago

bet.

i'm sure there's still bad blood there.

bobcat1
07-22-2008, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by neck_06
bet.

i'm sure there's still bad blood there. I'm with neck.

crzyjournalist03
07-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1

Dude...g$$ knows that there's no way that T.O. is that fast.

I_DONT_CARE
07-22-2008, 09:55 AM
WHO CARES? :blahblah: :blahblah:

pirate4state
07-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by I_DONT_CARE
WHO CARES? :blahblah: :blahblah: You do.

crzyjournalist03
07-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by I_DONT_CARE
WHO CARES? :blahblah: :blahblah:

I'm pretty sure Sam Alipour does.