PDA

View Full Version : Ready for some football?

All out CAT
07-21-2008, 09:03 AM
If the thought of high school football being right around the corner and you just can't wait...

Go buy or check the book out at your nearest library. The title is "Twelve Mighty Orphans". Historically known as one of the greatest football programs in the state of Texas.

Some of you out there that live in the "Metroplex" may already be aware of it. It is based on the football team in the thirties that consisted of some of the rawest football players around. They were the children of the Masonic Home and School of Texas.

This book will amaze some of you. I would recommend it to all of your athletes of small schools and those that feel like they are playing without a chance. It reminds me of the movie "Hoosiers". I used to watch that movie every year during basketball season just to get ready for a game. (although it never did turn out any drastic improvements in OUR program)

I played for the Masonic Home and School throughout the late 80's and early 90's. All boy's were "expected" to play from sixth grade on. Only those that had health problems did not. We went out every game knowing that we were the underdogs, but we never played as such. We went out and played our heart's out everygame and were pretty much out sized at every engagement. The book shows that the guy's of the thirties were the one's that set the program up and it was followed until the Home's closure a couple of years back.

I hope you all enjoy the book. It just made me think about it when I see some of the 3A teams on here and know that we used to play those guys. (i.e. Prosper)

RTigMom
07-21-2008, 12:55 PM
Reading it right now. Great book!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

All out CAT
07-21-2008, 01:50 PM
It is great. A movie is in the works from what I hear.

The part I like is that 20,000 folks going out to watch some school that is the equivalant to today's 1A. Outrageous to say the least.