PDA

View Full Version : Texas to Retire 9 Players Numbers

Emerson1
07-20-2008, 02:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3495788

AUSTIN, Texas -- The University of Texas will retire jersey numbers of nine athletes in three sports in ceremonies during the 2008-09 school year, Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds announced Friday.

Included in the group will be football players Vince Young, Bobby Layne and Tommy Nobis; baseball players Greg Swindell, Burt Hooton, Scott Bryant and Brooks Kieschnick; and basketball players Kevin Durant and Slater Martin.

The school previously had retired only four numbers in school history -- former Heisman Trophy winners Earl Campbell (20) and Ricky Williams (34), Wooden Award winner T.J. Ford (11) and Roger Clemens (21). Clemens' number was worn until 1993 before it was retired. Swindell was among the players who wore the number between Clemens' graduation and the earlier jersey retirement.

The school formerly required a player to be honored as a national player of the year before his jersey was retired. That rule was amended to include several other deserving athletes, Dodds said.

"We've given this a lot of thought over the years," Dodds said. "With the completion of renovations at our football and baseball stadiums, as well as Kevin joining T.J. as a national player of the year, we feel that now is the right time to honor some of the greatest of our really great players."

Nobis, who played at the school from 1963-65 and won the Outland Award and the Maxwell Award as a senior, was particularly touched by his alma mater's announcement.

"The University of Texas stands for a lot more than just football, but I know how important football is there and we've had a lot of great teams and players," Nobis said. "When I think of all the players who have walked out onto that field, to be pulled out and recognized as one of the best is really special for me and my family."

Young, who led the Longhorns to their first undisputed national championship in 36 years in the 2005 season, also was excited with his honor.

"Man, I'm speechless," Young said. "I want to congratulate all of the UT legends who are having their jerseys retired in all of the sports. It's humbling to be among that group."

Old Tiger
07-20-2008, 02:38 PM
They should unretire clemens

popcorn screen
07-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Saw TJ Ford play when he was at Willowridge. He was a super ball player.

mchavez
07-20-2008, 06:55 PM
I like KD but I don't agree with his jersey being retired. He was only there for 1 year, and no NC! It should be players that take there team to the NC, and not just being player of the year!

piratebg
07-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by mchavez
I like KD but I don't agree with his jersey being retired. He was only there for 1 year, and no NC! It should be players that take there team to the NC, and not just being player of the year!

I agree. This one just baffles the hell of me too. Now if he becomes like a mutli year all-star, wins an MVP award or two, and a leads his team to a couple of NBA Championships I might understand why they might retire it later on, but as of right now I don't know why they'd do it.

injuredinmelee
07-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by mchavez

I agree wholeheartedly. He doesnt deserve that honor.

maestro
07-21-2008, 07:20 AM
t.j. made it cool to attend texas and play hoops!!

cannot understand why they overloooked him.....

Txbroadcaster
07-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by maestro
t.j. made it cool to attend texas and play hoops!!

cannot understand why they overloooked him.....

overlooked? His number is already retired

Phil C
07-21-2008, 08:13 AM
UT neglected their Lady Athletes this time around. What about CAT? And also Clarissa Davis without who they would not have won their only women's basketball national championship? And don't get me started on volleyball.

Macarthur
07-21-2008, 10:37 AM
I simply don't like retiring numbers at all, period.

I could see someone like the Yankess retiring Babe's number or Chicago retiring Jordan.

Now, I kinda like what the Cowboys do...I've head a couple of kids have asked for the number 12 or 8 and the organization just kinda gives a chuckle and says, "I don't think so."

If this keeps on happening, everyone will run out of numbers..:D

Phil C
07-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I simply don't like retiring numbers at all, period.

I could see someone like the Yankess retiring Babe's number or Chicago retiring Jordan.

Now, I kinda like what the Cowboys do...I've head a couple of kids have asked for the number 12 or 8 and the organization just kinda gives a chuckle and says, "I don't think so."

If this keeps on happening, everyone will run out of numbers..:D

I agree. They could have them in a ring of honor or hall of fame someplace special. If they retire the number I think one of the criteria would be that they were on an NC team at least. Carmelo Anthony only placed college basketball one year but he got his team an NC.

maestro
07-21-2008, 07:11 PM
ok....did not know about t.j.

figured something HAD to be up...

i read the article as though this was the initial class of retirees....

:)

Phil C
07-22-2008, 11:58 AM
What about Coach Tom Landry's number? Not only on his great playing at UT but his many accomplishments afterward. It seems to me that would be what you call a shoo in if their ever was one. It is things like this that make it seem unwise to retire numbers.