View Full Version : Astros win!

Maroon87
07-18-2008, 09:44 PM
2-1 over the Cubs...Pence drives in Tejada in the 9th for the win.:clap:

AP Panther Fan
07-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87

Way to go Hunter Pence....he didn't spend all that time in Corpus for nothin'.....;)

I enjoyed watching him play for the Hooks.

zebrablue2
07-18-2008, 10:06 PM

:clap:

Necks_Fan
07-19-2008, 11:14 AM
I din't get to watch the game because I'm in KC, so who pitched and any other noteable stats and whatnot?

Buccaneer
07-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Hunter Pence spent most of the All-Star break facing a pitching machine in the batting cage at Minute Maid Park. The extra work produced instant results.

Pence drove in the game-winning run with a double off Bob Howry in bottom of the ninth inning and gave the Houston Astros a 2-1 victory over the Chicago Cubs on Friday night.

The All-Star break came at an inconvenient time for Pence, who hit .281 (9-for-32) in the seven games leading up to it. Instead of relaxing at home, Pence made almost daily trips to the empty ballpark to work on his hitting.

“Basically, I just worked my eye,” he said. “I didn’t want to swing a whole bunch and tire myself out. I just bunted a whole bunch of sliders and tried to work my eye and get the rhythm because I haven’t been hitting them very well.

“I feel a lot better. It definitely gave me some confidence.”

Carlos Lee hit a solo homer and Brian Moehler pitched seven effective innings for the Astros, who have won four of their last five games.

The 36-year-old Moehler took the opposite approach to the break from Pence. Rather than focus on baseball, Moehler retreated to a lake house in South Carolina with his family.

“It’s like anyone else who works 9-to-5 and goes on vacation. You don’t take your work on vacation with you,” Moehler said. “I relaxed with my family and just got away from the game.”

Miguel Tejada, who played in the All-Star game, led off the Houston ninth with a one-hop, ground-rule double into the seats in right. Pence lined the first pitch he saw from Howry (3-3) to the gap in left center.

Tejada hesitated, then sprinted home, beating the throw from center fielder Jim Edmonds. Pence jumped in the air and pumped his fist at second as the rest of the Astros mobbed Tejada at the plate.

“I was trying to hit a ball up the middle and give myself a chance to, at worst, get him over,” Pence said. “For me, the best approach was to try to drive the ball up the middle.”

Geoff Geary (2-1) pitched two perfect innings in relief for the win.

Moehler allowed four hits and struck out three in matching his longest start of the season. Edmonds’ homer in the fifth was the only blemish on Moehler’s performance.

Cubs starter Ted Lilly was just as good, giving up six hits with six strikeouts in seven innings.

“Lilly pitched well enough to win,” Cubs manager Lou Piniella said, “but so did their guy.”

Both pitchers breezed through the first four innings, allowing two hits apiece. Ryan Theriot had a two-out double in the third for the Cubs and Kaz Matsui legged out his first triple of the season with two outs in the Astros’ half of the inning.

Edmonds led off the fifth with his 11th homer, an opposite-field shot into the porch in left. Mark DeRosa flied out to the warning track in right before Mike Fontenot hammered a double off the left-field scoreboard.

Fontenot went to third on Moehler’s wild pitch to Lilly, but Lilly struck out on the next pitch. Theriot walked, but Kosuke Fukudome flied out to stall the threat.

The Cubs finished the first half of the season with a 4-2 loss to Tim Lincecum and San Francisco. Piniella said the Cubs’ bats seemed even more sluggish on Friday.

“We scored two prior to the break and one tonight,” Piniella said. “I don’t know if that’s too much rest or too little.”

Moehler retired seven straight Cubs after the walk to Theriot.

Lee led off the Astros’ seventh with a towering homer over the railroad tracks in left, his 22nd of the season. Lee has 10 homers and 30 RBIs since June 8.

Lilly has given up 22 homers this season, the most by any Cubs pitcher. Ryan Dempster is second with 11.

“I had the feeling it was going to be a game where we had to limit our mistakes,” Lilly said. “Unfortunately, I made one late to a pretty good hitter.”

Tejada and Pence followed Lee’s home runs with singles and catcher Geovany Soto trotted out to the mound for a quick chat with Lilly.

Lilly then struck out Ty Wigginton and got Mark Loretta on a fly out to center. Geoff Blum pinch-hit for Moehler and walked to load the bases for Matsui, the leadoff hitter, who grounded into a fielder’s choice to end the inning.

Notes

Geary has thrown 12 scoreless innings in July. … Theriot has an 11-game hitting streak. … Astros C Humberto Quintero will begin a rehab assignment with Double-A Corpus Christi on Saturday. Quintero has been on the DL since July 2, a day after he suffered a concussion in a game against the Los Angeles Dodgers. Quintero was struck in the helmet by Luis Maza’s bat as he finished a swing.

Buccaneer
07-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Moehler is turning into the Astro's ace. Carlos' homer was over the railroad tracks!

Bull Butter
07-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Moehler is turning into the Astro's ace.

What does that tell you about the way the Astros season has gone?

Necks_Fan
07-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
What does that tell you about the way the Astros season has gone? Too much.

Maroon87
07-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Astros win again tonight, 4-1. Nice start to the 2nd half...hope it continues!:clap:

zebrablue2
07-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Astros win again tonight, 4-1. Nice start to the 2nd half...hope it continues!:clap:

never thought they would beat carlos z. tonight. he still hit a homer, and batting over .300 for the season. good game stros, even though finishing .500 is about the only goal in reach. roy on the DL after tonight, the starting pitching just is not there.. I will still be pulling for the astros till the end..

Bull Butter
07-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
I will still be pulling for the astros till the end..

Me too! I'm not bailing out on the team I've supported for almost 40 years!

SWMustang
07-20-2008, 12:43 AM
I'm noy bailing, but they need to rebuild the farm system. Why not sell some assets from a .500 team so we might have a division champ a few years down the road?

Highschoolfan78
07-20-2008, 01:46 AM
I hope the Cubbies dominate Sunday. I will be attending to see it happen. Don't disappoint me Chicago!

Maroon87
07-20-2008, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Highschoolfan78
I hope the Cubbies dominate Sunday. I will be attending to see it happen. Don't disappoint me Chicago!

Screw the Chubbies.:p

Buccaneer
07-20-2008, 02:19 PM
JR Towles is pitiful!

piratebg
07-20-2008, 07:33 PM

Looks like you got your wish. :mad:

Cubs 9
Astros 0
Final

Highschoolfan78
07-21-2008, 03:57 PM
I sure did! I didn't have to hear that train at all. It's so loud in there already without a measly train blowing his horn! At the end all the stros fans were gone, while all the Cubbie fans remained! Backe just had a rough start, but pitched well after the first inning. He just threw so many pitches early on that he was tired late on. I do have to say that the Cubs fan need a new way to cheer on Fukudome, because their transitioning of words is horrible. The chant goes "Fuk-u-do-meh clap clap clap clap cla-clap Fuk-u-do-meh." I think we need to change that soon..

espn1
07-21-2008, 03:59 PM
I sure did! I didn't have to hear that train at all. It's so loud in there already without a measly train blowing his horn! At the end all the stros fans were gone, while all the Cubbie fans remained! Backe just had a rough start, but pitched well after the first inning. He just threw so many pitches early on that he was tired late on. I do have to say that the Cubs fan need a new way to cheer on Fukudome, because their transitioning of words is horrible. The chant goes "Fuk-u-do-meh clap clap clap clap cla-clap Fuk-u-do-meh." I think we need to change that soon.. Chicago Sucks!