PDA

View Full Version : Texas Board of Education moves ahead on proposal to give high school athletes ....

scrub c
07-18-2008, 12:21 PM
12:00 AM CDT on Friday, July 18, 2008

By TERRENCE STUTZ / The Dallas Morning News
tstutz@dallasnews.com

AUSTIN – State Board of Education members agreed Thursday to move ahead on a proposed rule that would allow high school athletes to receive twice as much credit toward graduation as allowed under current state requirements.

The proposal – allowing four years of sports to count for credit instead of two – will be drafted as a new state rule and voted on by the board at its next meeting in September.

Although some board members voiced reservations about the idea, most who spoke on the issue Thursday expressed support for the rule, calling it a matter of fairness for thousands of student athletes in Texas high schools.

Backers, including the Texas High School Coaches Association, contend that new state graduation requirements calling on students to do more coursework discriminate against student athletes by slicing the time available for participation in sports.

"This is a fairness issue," said board member Ken Mercer, R-San Antonio, noting that students in other extracurricular activities – such as band and dance – can get four years of credit for those activities.

"If we are going to honor scholar dancers, why not honor scholar athletes?" he asked. "We will still be requiring all the core [academic] courses for all our students."

A recent survey by the Texas Education Agency of 1,154 Texas superintendents, principals and teachers found that more than 86 percent favored the idea of credit for four years of sports.

Craig Agnew, the Brenham High School coach and teacher who petitioned the board to adopt the rule, told members that an "unfair burden" is being placed on student athletes who are struggling to meet all the new course requirements while continuing to participate in sports. That burden was not imposed on students in activities such as band, choir, dance teams, theater and Junior ROTC, he pointed out.

"I was dumbfounded by the lack of fairness toward athletes," he said. "Many of these students are having to make alternative academic plans while others will opt not to participate in athletics for all four years."

Asked whether the change would lead to increased pressure on some students to participate in sports for four years, Mr. Agnew replied: "I would be naive to say no. But I also believe it won't happen in good programs that do things the right way."

Board member Terri Leo, R-Spring, was the main critic of the proposal, arguing that it would force the board to write curriculum standards for football, basketball and other sports, and that it would reduce the number of elective courses that student athletes could take in high school.

"I am concerned we are not adding academic rigor in our high schools if we do this," she said. "Let's wait and see how the [new graduation standards] work."

But other board members said they were persuaded by Mr. Agnew's arguments.

"I have generally found that students who do best in school are those who participate in extracurricular activities," said Bob Craig, R-Lubbock. "And if we're going to give four credits for band and ROTC, I believe we ought to do the same for athletics."

Under the new state graduation requirements, which took effect with freshmen last year, students need four years each of math, science, English and social studies – the so-called 4x4 core courses – along with their electives and a handful of other required classes such as two years of foreign language and 1 ½ years of physical education.

In all, the number of credits needed to get a diploma will increase from 24 to 26 for students graduating in 2011. A credit is equal to one year of instruction in a subject.

Students can now get up to two years of credit for participation in sports, which meets the current requirement of 1 ½ years of physical education and also a half-year toward elective course requirements.

Under the proposed rule, a student would be able to count the additional two years in athletics as part of the elective courses needed for graduation. The so-called Recommended High School Program – taken by most students – requires 3 ½ elective credits to graduate, as well as 1 ½ credits of physical education.

That would mean a student utilizing the proposed option would count four years of sports as 1 ½ credits in physical education and 2 ½ credits in electives.

Other groups supporting the change are the Texas Girls Coaches Association and the Texas Athletic Directors Association.

XMan
07-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Most of you out there dont know exactly how awesome this is. Great job Craig Agnew. This is one of those times that he put that XL cranium to extremely good use.

GreenMonster
07-18-2008, 06:22 PM
I would like to know why Rep. Terri Leo of Spring feels that it would require the board to write up curricular standards for football, basketball, and other sports? There are no curricular standards for ROTC, dance, or band. She also argued that she was worried that "we are not adding academic rigor to our schools with this," where is the academic rigor in ROTC, dance, or band? Do I feel that all of these activities add greatly to a young man or woman's life? Absolutely. Do I feel there is any more academic rigor involved in those other activities than in athletics? Absolutely not. This is a no brainer in my opinion and should never have been an issue to begin with. I do understand though that the education people are 100% about education and for whatever reason they tend to feel that athletics detracts from the educational setting.

LH Panther Mom
07-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I would like to know why Rep. Terri Leo of Spring feels that it would require the board to write up curricular standards for football, basketball, and other sports? There are no curricular standards for ROTC, dance, or band. She also argued that she was worried that "we are not adding academic rigor to our schools with this," where is the academic rigor in ROTC, dance, or band? Do I feel that all of these activities add greatly to a young man or woman's life? Absolutely. Do I feel there is any more academic rigor involved in those other activities than in athletics? Absolutely not. This is a no brainer in my opinion and should never have been an issue to begin with. I do understand though that the education people are 100% about education and for whatever reason they tend to feel that athletics detracts from the educational setting.
NO JOKE!!!!!! :clap: :clap:

AP Panther Fan
07-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Absolutely.....those kids that do athletics for 4 years and practice until dark, daily, deserve better.....

We might be screwin' with someone's gpa....watchout!:D

PhiI C
07-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Also the time saved from having to take extra PE could be used to take other good cources which would include physics and calculus.

LH Panther Mom
07-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C
Also the time saved from having to take extra PE
What???????? :confused: :confused:

Emerson1
07-19-2008, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C
Also the time saved from having to take extra PE could be used to take other good cources which would include physics and calculus.
It wouldn't be a requirement. The extra 2 years would replace a useless elective like some lame computer class.