PDA

View Full Version : Is this a "normal" senior year??

Ranger Mom
07-18-2008, 08:48 AM
I found out yesterday that Greenwood has 7 returning seniors.....and 20 additional seniors playing that have NEVER played before!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

cshscougar08
07-18-2008, 08:51 AM
WHOA! Like never played or never played varsity?

Ranger Mom
07-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
WHOA! Like never played or never played varsity?

From what I was told....NEVER played!!

Now some MAY have played in 7th and 8th grade, none of have played in High School, for sure.

It will be interesting to see how many are left after 2-a-days!!

cshscougar08
07-18-2008, 08:56 AM
WOW!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
That's very odd and interesting. I wouldn't count on many being left. And no, I wouldn't consider that a "normal" senior year. :D

Ranger Mom
07-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
WOW!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
That's very odd and interesting. I wouldn't count on many being left. And no, I wouldn't consider that a "normal" senior year. :D

I might could understand if we were supposed to be really good this season....but we are going to be down.

Hmmm....maybe that is why so many are coming out, they may see a chance to shine!!:thinking: :thinking:

GreenMonster
07-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I might could understand if we were supposed to be really good this season....but we are going to be down.

Hmmm....maybe that is why so many are coming out, they may see a chance to shine!!:thinking: :thinking:

I think they want a letter jacket.

AP Panther Fan
07-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster

Good point! Does Greenwood have a new coach or A/D that is actually trying to get kids that have never been involved in sports (or football in particular) to come out and play?

I have always felt like their isn't enough recruiting that goes on in our own school's hallways. Many kids just get labeled unfortunately.

Silverback 04
07-18-2008, 09:44 AM

Agreed on the letter jacket thing. When I was a senior a long time ago, we had about 10 pudknockerss come out who had never put on pads. 9 didn't last thru the first week of 2 a days, 1 wound up being pretty decent because he was tough as nails.

Ingleside Fan
07-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Silverback 04
Agreed on the letter jacket thing. When I was a senior a long time ago, we had about 10 pudknockerss come out who had never put on pads. 9 didn't last thru the first week of 2 a days, 1 wound up being pretty decent because he was tough as nails.

This is why Ingleside lost so many Seniors last year. Kept alot of junior classman talent down on the JV team.

AP Panther Fan
07-18-2008, 09:53 AM

You would think they would pick golf or tennis though.:cool:

Ranger Mom
07-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Good point! Does Greenwood have a new coach or A/D that is actually trying to get kids that have never been involved in sports (or football in particular) to come out and play?

No...this will be his 3rd season here!!

This is a weird year though, there are really no standouts that I can think of.

The "standout" class is going into 8th grade!!!

michaelp23
07-18-2008, 09:59 AM
The "standout" class is going into 8th grade!!!

Maybe you should pull some of those 8th graders up to varsity!!:eek: :clap:

Ranger Mom
07-18-2008, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by michaelp23
Maybe you should pull some of those 8th graders up to varsity!!:eek: :clap:

I'm sure they would if they could!!:D

loboes86
07-18-2008, 10:35 AM
You would think they would pick golf or tennis though.:cool: So I assume you think it would be easier to pick-up golf or tennis if you've never played either of those games. That would be like sayiny put em track even though the've never run a race. Let em try for football team if their tough enough to hang let-em play if not cull em. As we have found out there's nothing says you have to be on varsity just because your a "senior".

AP Panther Fan
07-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by loboes86
So I assume you think it would be easier to pick-up golf or tennis if you've never played either of those games. That would be like sayiny put em track even though the've never run a race.

You are "assuming" correctly ... track would be another good option.

I don't think most of the smaller 3a schools "cull" players when lack of depth is already a problem. As someone else pointed out, they would probably not survive 2 a days and would quit before a coach even had the opportunity to demote or kick them off.

Ranger Mom
07-18-2008, 12:50 PM

I don't think most of the smaller 3a schools "cull" players when lack of depth is already a problem. As someone else pointed out, they would probably not survive 2 a days and would quit before a coach even had the opportunity to demote or kick them off.

Greenwood "culls" in some sports....football is NOT one of them!!

big daddy russ
07-18-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm sure they would if they could!!:D
Crazy little unknown UIL rule: you can pull an 8th grader up.

The catch is that they can only play four years of varsity, so if they played their 8th-11th years, they couldn't play their senior year. Ingleside had a kid who played on the soccer team his 8th grade year and was the team's second-best player. Only this (http://csuvikings.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/stewart_david01.html) kid was better, and he was a senior at the time.

APPF may have heard of the 8th-grader who played, too. Zack Adams, our football stud from a couple years back.

AP Panther Fan
07-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
APPF may have heard of the 8th-grader who played, too. Zack Adams, our football stud from a couple years back.

Zack is an amazing athlete, I just didn't realize he played soccer.

You know, Zach's entire family is athletic...his Mom runs in marathons, his younger sister is phenomenal at volleyball, softball, basketball, tennis and track....my daughter always has the pleasure of competing against her.;)

loboes86
07-18-2008, 02:02 PM

I don't think most of the smaller 3a schools "cull" players when lack of depth is already a problem. As someone else pointed out, they would probably not survive 2 a days and would quit before a coach even had the opportunity to demote or kick them off. I guess what I was saying and not trying to be abrasive about it was that golf,track and tennis are not the easy sports that alot of people think they are. Golf and tennis take alot of work to be able to play correctly, theres alot of skill involved with these sports.. Like football you just dont go out and pick them up your senior year.

big daddy russ
07-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Zack is an amazing athlete, I just didn't realize he played soccer.

You know, Zach's entire family is athletic...his Mom runs in marathons, his younger sister is phenomenal at volleyball, softball, basketball, tennis and track....my daughter always has the pleasure of competing against her.;)
Oh yeah. My sis and his oldest sis are best friends. That's good people.

Silverback 04
07-18-2008, 02:41 PM
I guess what I was saying and not trying to be abrasive about it was that golf,track and tennis are not the easy sports that alot of people think they are. Golf and tennis take alot of work to be able to play correctly, theres alot of skill involved with these sports.. Like football you just dont go out and pick them up your senior year.

I have played all of those sports at some time or another and I agree they ain't easy. In football you could tell a kid to step into that gap, grab ahold of the runners jersey and try not to get killed, and alot of kids could do it though probably not very well. But take a kid who has never struck a golf ball and tell him to hit it down the middle and make something close to a snowman, and good luck. He may not get killed but he is sure enough apt to suck.

AP Panther Fan
07-18-2008, 02:49 PM
I guess what I was saying and not trying to be abrasive about it was that golf,track and tennis are not the easy sports that alot of people think they are. Golf and tennis take alot of work to be able to play correctly, theres alot of skill involved with these sports.. Like football you just dont go out and pick them up your senior year.

I agree that golf and tennis do require skill, if you care about being good at it and not just getting a letterman's jacket. I guess what I am trying to convey is that many (not all) schools do not take these sports as seriously as perhaps football/baseball/softball.

In Aransas Pass, we are lucky if we even get enough kids to sign up for golf to have a couple of teams. My daughter, a freshman, had never picked up a set of clubs until about two weeks before golf started. Not only did she make the team, the team won district, and placed about 8th or 9th out of 18 or 19 teams in Regionals.

I have seen numerous kids do this as seniors. It's kind of a toss up to me....do they want the jacket or is it the number of days they get out of school for tournaments. :)