PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Park Posters

injuredinmelee
07-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Lets hear some gossip. How will the Hawks fare this year? Any big stars? Underclassmen looking like they can contribute?

I dont buy DCTF anymore so please please please dont tell me to go read the blurb there.

GreenMonster
07-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Honestly, I've lost touch due to being out of the loop. I don't think they are expecting any big things from this group. They are capable of making the play-offs, but in this district so is everyone else. Should be a dog fight once again.

Macarthur
07-17-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm not there anymore, but my connections tell me that they most likely will have another down year. They may have a chance to battle it out for that 3rd spot.

They've hit a bit of a slump here, but Ellis is a good coach so he may be capable of coaching them up. I'm to understand that had some seniors last year that didn't have their head on straight so maybe that will help. Their biggest problem is that their district is a beast.

injuredinmelee
07-17-2008, 02:01 PM
any news on starting qb? Rbs? I wont even ask about wideouts.

Z motion 10 out on 2
07-18-2008, 12:27 PM
The Hawks always give Vernon a good game no matter what.

westcoast54
07-19-2008, 08:27 PM
They have always played hard. District will go down to the wire...again. Their JV QB last year impressed me. I don't know his name but, I would think he would be the man.

I know Ellis is a good coach. However there have been alot of grumblings from the townfolk in IP.

lion75
07-19-2008, 09:17 PM
They are always scappy and play with heart. But they sometimes suffer from a lack of overall talent.

GreenMonster
07-19-2008, 10:58 PM
RB will be the Smoke kid that toted the mail for them last year. QB is a toss up right now. That race is down between Sr, Jesse Harris (chose not to play 7-on-7 for whatever reason) and SOPH Lee Clubb. I think the smart money is on Clubb to win that race. Ellis is like most 3A coaches in that if he has a Sr and a Soph with similar skills the Soph wins out because he will continue to get better for the future.

westcoast54
07-19-2008, 11:07 PM
GM, was Clubb the JV QB last year? If so, I was really impressed with him last year. Didn't know he was a freshman. Throws the ball well and can run.

Sounds to me like there's NO competition if the Harris kid chose not to play 7-on-7. Would think that was a prerequisite to be a QB.

westcoast54
07-19-2008, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by lion75
They are always scappy and play with heart. But they sometimes suffer from a lack of overall talent.

I don't think it's lack of talent. I think it's lack of a passing game. Have to start developing QB's in Jr. High.

GreenMonster
07-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by westcoast54
Have to start developing QB's in Jr. High. I will agree with this statement. Westcoast, how does the WFISD schools go about this with little or no control over the Jr High programs in the city?

Macarthur
07-20-2008, 11:47 AM
They have always played hard. District will go down to the wire...again. Their JV QB last year impressed me. I don't know his name but, I would think he would be the man.

I know Ellis is a good coach. However there have been alot of grumblings from the townfolk in IP.

Well, Ellis is a good coach and they would be stupid to run him off. As with many other towns, when they have a down season or two, they have a really short memory and forget about all those playoff wins. They better be careful what they wish for.

westcoast54
07-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I will agree with this statement. Westcoast, how does the WFISD schools go about this with little or no control over the Jr High programs in the city?

We don't. Plain and simple as that. The only person that can have any contact with a Jr. High student is the HC himself. Once a kid turns in his choice form then we can start working with them. However, we don't find out who's coming till the middle of the Spring. The "Choice Plan" SUCKS!!!!!

westcoast54
07-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Well, Ellis is a good coach and they would be stupid to run him off. As with many other towns, when they have a down season or two, they have a really short memory and forget about all those playoff wins. They better be careful what they wish for.

I agree totally. Try being 15-0 one year and the greatest coaches in the world to 8-4 and the dumbest SOB's in the world the next.:confused: It will make you wonder.

VWG
07-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Clubb was the fish team QB.
Played varsity hoops as a freshman.
Hawks are gonna find a tough time making the playoffs.
Burk has a good core of players coming back, Decatur returns their starting QB, who as a soph. did a pretty decent job.
IMO, Burk - Decatur - Bridgeport are the teams to beat in this district.

popcorn screen
07-21-2008, 09:48 PM
They will win one district game vs. Hirschi. If they lost 26 lettermen from an average team (no disrespect), I dont see how they can beat those other squads. Compete, yes. Win 2 or 3 in that district, I dont see it.

lion75
07-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by VWG

Burk has a good core of players coming back, Decatur returns their starting QB, who as a soph. did a pretty decent job.
IMO, Burk - Decatur - Bridgeport are the teams to beat in this district. Don't be too surprised if Vernon works their way into that group.

westcoast54
07-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Don't be too surprised if Vernon works their way into that group.

Better not count anyone out. This district always goes down to the wire.

VWG
07-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Don't be too surprised if Vernon works their way into that group.

No, you can't count Vernon out.... but they have a long way to go as far as talent they have had over the past few years. Whiteside and Echols are solid players.
The main issue I see with Vernon is their freshman and JV teams from last year didn't set the world on fire. How many games has that freshman class won since playing 7th grade football. 4-6 games in a 3 year span? It's not pretty. I am not trying to bash Vernon football because they usually turn out good teams year in and year out, as history will show, but I call 'em like I see 'em. The talent pool in Vernon over the next two to three years is a little lean from what they are normally used to.

Z motion 10 out on 2
07-24-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by VWG
No, you can't count Vernon out.... but they have a long way to go as far as talent they have had over the past few years. Whiteside and Echols are solid players.
The main issue I see with Vernon is their freshman and JV teams from last year didn't set the world on fire. How many games has that freshman class won since playing 7th grade football. 4-6 games in a 3 year span? It's not pretty. I am not trying to bash Vernon football because they usually turn out good teams year in and year out, as history will show, but I call 'em like I see 'em. The talent pool in Vernon over the next two to three years is a little lean from what they are normally used to.

I think Vernon has the talent. The question will be at the QB position. Williams really did a good job last year and was a huge motivator/leader for the team. He is gone now.

Since Coach Hall took over six years ago the team has been winning in the playoffs just missing the state game twice. The spirit of winning is back in Vernon and all the kids expect to win. That speaks volumes.

I have never been one to judge future wins from a freshman or JV past record. My son's team (Vernon) in 2003 won the region; however, when he was a freshman and sophomore they were about even in wins and losses. Just never know.

injuredinmelee
07-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
I think Vernon has the talent. The question will be at the QB position. Williams really did a good job last year and was a huge motivator/leader for the team. He is gone now.

Since Coach Hall took over six years ago the team has been winning in the playoffs just missing the state game twice. The spirit of winning is back in Vernon and all the kids expect to win. That speaks volumes.

I have never been one to judge future wins from a freshman or JV past record. My son's team (Vernon) in 2003 won the region; however, when he was a freshman and sophomore they were about even in wins and losses. Just never know.

good points. Some staffs use the JV team as tackling dummies all week for he varsity. Simply used to make the friday night crew better.

lion75
07-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Vernon has never dominated at the freshmen and JV level. Yet they have made the playoffs 23 out of the last 25 years. Last year during two-a-days I called one of the Lions on the phone and asked him who was the person that was the biggest surprise to him as far as talent, and he told me it was Ryan Smith. He thought that the coaches would have a tough call on the starting QB between him and Darion Williams. Even though Williams won the job, Smith is considered very solid in Vernon.

VWG
07-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
good points. Some staffs use the JV team as tackling dummies all week for he varsity. Simply used to make the friday night crew better.

Good point.. but you can also argue the fact of some schools (such as Wylie) whose JV squad went 10-0 last year and put a hurting on a lot of other JV squads. Wylie's JV still had the better TALENT than the other JV teams they played. That is my point.

I understand about Vernon making the playoffs year in and year out. They have a great program. From what I have seen and from what guys have told me... their upcoming classes aren't as stacked as they usually have been. Especially the class that will be sophomores this year.

lion75
07-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Vernon's weakness is almost always depth. If they have a sophomore with some skills then he will be on the varsity for depth and for development through practicing with varsity players. We don't have the luxury that some schools (like Wylie) have of leaving talented sophomores on the JV . My soph. year we had 14 sophomore players on the varsity. My point is that you can learn nothing about Vernon's chances by looking at their JV teams other than the fact they usually don't have any depth.

Z motion 10 out on 2
07-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Exciting times ahead. Too bad I'm all the way up here in Kansas.

westcoast54
07-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by popcorn screen
They will win one district game vs. Hirschi. If they lost 26 lettermen from an average team (no disrespect), I dont see how they can beat those other squads. Compete, yes. Win 2 or 3 in that district, I dont see it.

Hirschi is a much different team this year...thanks to Graduation. They have a long way to go but, don't be surprised if you see them in a battle for a playoff spot. They have speed, as they always do, and this year, for the first time in a while, they have some size.

VWG
07-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Hirschi is a much different team this year...thanks to Graduation. They have a long way to go but, don't be surprised if you see them in a battle for a playoff spot. They have speed, as they always do, and this year, for the first time in a while, they have some size.

Huskies always have the athletes... just need to put it all together like they did in 2006.

hawkfan
07-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Huskies always have the athletes... just need to put it all together like they did in 2006.

Personally,I'd rather have the Hirschi teams fron 1998 and 1999. Talk about speed. If they broke the corner, you weren't catchin 'em.

LeonJr
07-31-2008, 10:33 PM
Leon agrees

Originally posted by VWG
Clubb was the fish team QB.
Played varsity hoops as a freshman.
Hawks are gonna find a tough time making the playoffs.
IMO, Burk - Decatur - Bridgeport are the teams to beat in this district.