PDA

View Full Version : Question for BWD Posters.....

RedWhiteBlue
07-17-2008, 09:46 AM
[[[[[[[[[[Driver of vehicle in fatal accident May 14 indicted
By Steve Nash - Brownwood Bulletin
Published: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 3:37 PM CDT
The driver of a vehicle involved in fatal traffic accident on May 14 in Early was indicted on a charge of criminally negligent homicide.

Kelsi Freeman, 26, of Brownwood turned herself in at the Brown County Jail Tuesday afternoon and released a few minutes later on $5,000 bond, jail records state.

Early Police Chief David Mercer said she was accompanied by her attorney, Dana Smith. Smith could not be reached for comment. Freeman is the daughter of Steve Freeman, who is the Brownwood High School head football coach and the school district’s athletic director.

The Brown County Grand Jury returned a sealed indictment on July 3, 35th District Court Records state.

Criminally negligent homicide is a state jail felony with a maximum sentence of two years in state jail, officials said.

The accident happened at 5:45 p.m. in the 300 block of U.S. 183 South, Mercer said earlier.

He said Freeman’s 2004 Land Rover car struck a 1998 Oldsmobile occupied by Lorena Schmidt, the 94-year-old mother-in-law of the late Justice of the Peace Charles McCain. Schmidt, a passenger in the 1998 Oldsmobile, was pronounced dead at Brownwood Regional Medical Center.

McCain’s widow, Martha, was seriously injured.

Mercer said the Oldsmobile “was slowing if not almost stopped” to make a left turn when it was struck from behind by the Land Rover.

He said the speed limit where the collision happened is 50 mph. An accident reconstruction by the Department of Public Safety put the Land Rover’s estimated speed at 66 mph, Mercer said.

He said the Early Police Department’s accident report indicated speed and driver inattention as factors in the accident.

A phone number for Freeman could not be located.]]]]]]]]]]]

Do you guys have any information on this? Why are they choosing to press charges on this young lady? The comments in the paper stated it may be politically motivated, etc.---- what is your opinions?

injuredinmelee
07-17-2008, 09:48 AM
sounds to me like a young lady that made a HUGE mistake. Something she will have to live with for the rest of her life. Maybe its the victims family that was putting pressure on the DA's office to file charges and using the fact that her dad is royalty in bwood as the reason they felt the DA wasnt taking action.

Rocket
07-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Wow... Have to get some info on this one.

Ranger Mom
07-17-2008, 10:32 AM
In another article I read, it says there was no citation given....there was no alcohol or drugs involved....it was said to have been caused by driver inattention.

It seems weird she would be indicted, but not even written a ticket.

And why say who her dad is?? If he had been maintenance guy would they have mentioned it??

This whole situation stinks to me!!!

ronwx5x
07-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
In another article I read, it says there was no citation given....there was no alcohol or drugs involved....it was said to have been caused by driver inattention.

And why say who her dad is?? If he had been maintenance guy would they have mentioned it??

Makes a much bigger story when Dad is mentioned. This is Texas after all, so the big concern is will it affect the football team?

RedWhiteBlue
07-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

That is why I asked the questions. It seemed really strange that there would be a criminal case filed.......
I figure there must be more to the story.