PDA

View Full Version : Texas prep athletes could get more credits

scrub c
07-16-2008, 06:54 PM
06:33 PM CDT on Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Associated Press

AUSTIN -- Texas high school athletes could receive twice as much credit toward graduation for playing sports under a proposal before the state Board of Education.

The board is expected to discuss the plan tomorrow. The idea to allow four years of sports to count toward graduation, instead of two, was brought to the board by a coach from Brenham High School.

Craig Agnew says new graduation requirements that took effect with freshmen last year discriminate against athletes by cutting the time available for participation in athletics.

In all, the number of credits needed to get a diploma will increase from 24 to 26 starting with 2011 graduates.

Agnew told The Dallas Morning News that the new standards allow students to get four years of credit for activities such as band, choir, dance team, theater and Junior ROTC—but not football, basketball, baseball and other sports.

Students can now get up to two years of credit for participation in sports, which meets the current requirement of 1 ½ years of physical education and also a half-year toward elective course requirements. One credit is equal to one year of instruction in a subject.

scrub c
07-16-2008, 06:57 PM
It has always IRK-ed me how band can get 4 years of credit toward graduation and football (and the other sports) can only get 2.

I mean if it weren't for football, the band, cheerleaders, and drill team would not have anything else to do on Friday....

LH Panther Mom
07-16-2008, 06:59 PM
I certainly hope this passes! And yeah....it does seem like discrimination against athletes.

Emerson1
07-16-2008, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I certainly hope this passes! And yeah....it does seem like discrimination against athletes.
It's because band, drill team ect are considered fine arts. If you took PE all 4 years you would only get 2 credits.

This change has to happen if they are raising the number of credits.

GreenMonster
07-16-2008, 11:03 PM
I'm not holding my breath. Those folks in charge of education take themselves all too seriously and none of them were athletes. They were all band nerds and choir kids (not that there's anything wrong with that) and they do not see the importance of athletics in the education system. If they could have what they truly wanted it would be all after school athletics, no PE, and coaches would all be volunteer.