PDA

View Full Version : I saw the great 1928 Silent Move "The Racket" on TCM the other night!

Phil C
07-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Unfortunately I didn't record it which is a mistake I will correct when I get it again. It was adopted from Bartlett Cormack's play and was remade in 1951 with Robert Mitchum and Robert Ryan. It is about crime and corpuption in Chicago in the 20s. The coruption was also in high judiciary and political places and even in the police department. :eek: :(
The play and movie were even banned in Chicago. Even the most honest and conscientious policemen use unethical practices as ignoring court orders, police brutality and false charges. Thomas Meighan plays Police Captain James McQuigg nad Louis Wolheim does great as Nick Scarsi (the last name's resemblence to Al Capone known as scarface is intentional) nad Marie Prevost plays Helen Hayes. She was a beautiful talented actress that had a sad end. She was able to adjust to sound but by the mid 30s Hollywood turned its' back on her because she had a New England accent that it felt couldn't be used. She went into depression and became an alcoholic and died from alcohol and malnutrition in 1937 living in a sad poverty state.
A young Walter Brennan is seen briefly in front of a barber shop.

I won't give away the ending but this movie is a distrubing movie with no real heros and lots of coruption and illegal practices done not by the criminals but by the ones trusted to do right. I look forward to getting a second chance at this movie. TCM is good about giving us more than one chance so let's not miss the next chance.

The movie was one of the first three movies ever nominated for an oscar and it lost out to Wings.

Phil C
07-16-2008, 03:01 PM
The thing is that this movie brought out the syndicate in Chicago which consisted of known criminals such as Al Capone and Bugs Malone but also corupt politicians, Judicial members and even members of the police department - some in high places which was alarming. The movie was released in November 1928 and caused an outcry but not enough for the federal government to get involved. That changed just a few months later when the infamous St. Valentine's Day Massacre happened. This caused such an outcry that the Federal Government got involved and the fight against the syndicate was on.

Phil C
07-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Edward G. Robinson starred as the main bad criminal in the play and he would have been great if he could have done the movie even though Mr. Wolheim was outstanding.

Old Dog
07-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Must of been great to see a movie made when you were just a kid!

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself........it was just too good to pass up. Actually I'm older than Phil; hope he lets me get away with it?

Phil C
07-16-2008, 03:07 PM
It was thought that this movie was one of the ones that was destined to be lost. Fortunately a copy was discovered in Howard Hughes' vault. We are fortunate indeed that TCM was able to obtain a copy and show it on tv.

ronwx5x
07-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
nad Marie Prevost plays Helen Hayes. She was a beautiful talented actress that had a sad end. She was able to adjust to sound but by the mid 30s Hollywood turned its' back on her because she had a New England accent that it felt couldn't be used. She went into depression and became an alcoholic and died from alcohol and malnutrition in 1937 living in a sad poverty state.

Must have been a different Helen Hayes to this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Hayes

:doh: :doh: :doh:

GreenMonster
07-16-2008, 06:29 PM
sounds like a real snoozefest Phil!

Phil C
07-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
Must of been great to see a movie made when you were just a kid!

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself........it was just too good to pass up. Actually I'm older than Phil; hope he lets me get away with it?

Well I am sure you were referring to the 1951 version which would make it correct even though I haven't seen that one. :)

Actually I thought I was the oldest one that posted here. :p

LH Panther Mom
07-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Must have been a different Helen Hayes to this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Hayes

:doh: :doh: :doh:
I did the same thing, but the "great actress who died etc etc" that he's talking about is Marie Prevost. (Helen Hayes was her character.)

ronwx5x
07-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I did the same thing, but the "great actress who died etc etc" that he's talking about is Marie Prevost. (Helen Hayes was her character.)

Great minds think alike? I thought that was probably the case.

Be very careful thinking like me LHPM!

:inlove: :eek:

LH Panther Mom
07-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Great minds think alike? I thought that was probably the case.

Be very careful thinking like me LHPM!

:inlove: :eek:
I'm not sure who should be more worried, me or you! :eek: :eek: :eek:

ronwx5x
07-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'm not sure who should be more worried, me or you! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I will admit that I have not considered having a donkey as my avatar. But I sort of like it in a strange way? I'm sure there is a meaning behind it just like my weird screen name.

LH Panther Mom
07-17-2008, 06:04 PM
I will admit that I have not considered having a donkey as my avatar. But I sort of like it in a strange way? I'm sure there is a meaning behind it just like my weird screen name.
It was appropriate at the time and helped me NOT call somebody one. :devil: