PDA

View Full Version : NFL hiring experts to spot gang signals

Maroon87
07-16-2008, 12:30 PM
by FOXSports.com

Concerned that some of its players are flashing signals related to street gangs, the National Football League has hired experts to examine game tapes and identify the hand gestures, a newspaper reported Wednesday.

There have been some suspected things we've seen," NFL vice president of security Milt Ahlerich told the Los Angeles Times. "When we see it, we quietly jump on it immediately, directly with the team and the player or employee involved to cease and desist. Period."

Ahlerich says the NFL has long warned its players about the influence of gangs. Concern intensified after Denver Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams was gunned down following an altercation involving known gang members in 2007.

The concern was raised with first-year players at the recent rookie symposium, and a video on the dangers of gangs was shown to every player in the league last year.

"Guys come from all over the country, and who knows what they're really doing?" Jacksonville Jaguars receiver Dennis Northcutt told the paper. "People have got signs for their kids, signs for their fraternities. How do you differentiate who's really throwing up gang signs?"

"This is a gang sign," he said, touching his index finger to his thumb to form a squished OK sign. "But at the same time, it's a sign for a personnel group."

Mike Pereira, the NFL's vice president of officiating, said the gang experts being consulted by the league take those factors into account. They are looking for "symbols, clothing, jewelry or other items that would signify an association with criminal gang enterprises," Ahlerich said.

Game officials will not be asked to identify gang signals but will alert league headquarters of anything suspicious they see.

League executives did not specify how offenders will be punished, but Pereira said, "it will be dealt with harshly. The commissioner is not going to stand for gang signals on the field."

Other leagues have varying policies on aspects of the gang issue.

The Pac 10 Conference created a rule in 1992 prohibiting football players from wearing bandannas and allowing them to wear elastic skullcaps only if they were in the school's primary colors or black.

In April, Boston Celtics star Paul Pierce was fined $25,000 by the NBA for making "menacing gestures" as he walked toward the Atlanta Hawks bench.

Major League Baseball has a policy related to merchandising, and forced New Era to pull New York Yankees caps last year because they featured gang colors and logos.

According to the paper, an NHL spokesman said the league has a policy against inappropriate gestures but has never employed a gang expert.

NastySlot
07-16-2008, 01:58 PM
wow the nhl has nevered employed a gang expert......wonder why?

DDBooger
07-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
wow the nhl has nevered employed a gang expert......wonder why? lmao, and I wonder what you mean by that comment?

probably cause the nhl should hire bouncers! lol

NastySlot
07-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
lmao, and I wonder what you mean by that comment?

probably cause the nhl should hire bouncers! lol

no really i wonder why?........................i mean there are so many KINGS fans in east L.A. and other major cities with large hispanic populations....right.

Highschoolfan78
07-16-2008, 04:39 PM
No more signals from Peyton Manning then. His No Huddle Gang Signal shenanigans ends now.

GreenMonster
07-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Maybe the Pats can get the league to allow them to start videoing everyone's hand signals and allow them to sort through all of the footage to determine what is gang signs and what is defensive signals for future reference. They are already experienced ya know.

GreenMonster
07-16-2008, 06:36 PM
How do you become fluent in gang signs??? I think I would like to apply for this job. I bet it pays huge $$$.

Maroon87
07-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Maybe the Pats can get the league to allow them to start videoing everyone's hand signals and allow them to sort through all of the footage to determine what is gang signs and what is defensive signals for future reference. They are already experienced ya know.

That's probably where Roger Goodell got the idea.:thinking:

pirate4state
07-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Highschoolfan78
No more signals from Peyton Manning then. His No Huddle Gang Signal shenanigans ends now. :fnypost: :spitlol: :spitlol:

txkmom
07-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Last summer, one of my girls played AAU basketball. In a tournament, they played a team from Houston that threw what we decided were gang signs at our players and bench the whole game. Sad that they thought that was the arena for them to try to intimidate that way, but absolutely hilarious because most of our girls didn't figure it out until late in the game, and it meant absolutely nothing to them. We parents didn't realize it until some parents from another team pointed it out. lol

DDBooger
07-16-2008, 09:05 PM
apparently this is what Goodell is citing as precipitating his decision to watch for it in the NFL

Paul Pierce incident:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGAPpfrf4fk

rockdale80
07-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
This is just an attempt to clean up the NFL's image, the way the NBA is trying to do. I know of several big money people who have stopped buying Cowgirl season tickets and luxary boxes b/c of the off-field incidents. Im sure the same has happened to many other franchises. NFL doesn't like to lose money. Can't say that this will work, but it's a noble effort...I guess.

I would be willing to bet those box seats and luxury seats are still filled for every game. Lose money? I dont think the NFL loses money. Just my observation. Either way I dont care...I rarely watch any NFL. It has turned to crap.

Emerson1
07-18-2008, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
apparently this is what Goodell is citing as precipitating his decision to watch for it in the NFL

Paul Pierce incident:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGAPpfrf4fk

He wouldn't survive 10 seconds in the ghetto

garciap77
07-18-2008, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80
I would be willing to bet those box seats and luxury seats are still filled for every game. Lose money? I dont think the NFL loses money. Just my observation. Either way I dont care...I rarely watch any NFL. It has turned to crap.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

DDBooger
07-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Loses money? As in, an actual deficit? Of course not. But, not making as much as they could possibly make? Yes. That's happening to Jerry as we speak. less to do with the players persona then what he's charging. that monument to modernity of football won't be cheap.

eagles_victory
07-20-2008, 08:13 PM
If anyone shouldnt be doing gang signs and should be trying to avoid gang signs it should be Paul Pierce think he would of learned his lesson already

Phil C
07-21-2008, 08:17 AM
By experts do they mean gang members? Seems like they would best know the gang signals.

Phil C
07-21-2008, 08:17 AM
I wonder if this has some racism involved. Excuse my skepticism.