PDA

View Full Version : Why Doesn't HEB Expand Into DFW??

Matthew328
07-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Well when I was in College Station I had to visit my favorite grocery store in the world and it was HEB......I love that place!!! I hate they aren't in DFW much......other than Central Market.....yes I know there are HEB's on the fringe (Cleburne, Waxahachie, Ennis) but why not in DFW proper??

Anyone know the answer?

HEMOTOXIC
07-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Wow, I cant believe that they aren't in the DFW proper already.

DDBooger
07-15-2008, 09:09 PM
are yall inundated with Krogers and Super Wal-Marts? if so maybe thats why.

Matthew328
07-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Who isn't inundated w/Super Wal-Marts??

Still some Krogers here but not as many as there used to be....H-E-B would kill Kroger here just like they have in other markets...its just a better grocery store

Trashman
07-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Well when I was in College Station I had to visit my favorite grocery store in the world and it was HEB......I love that place!!! I hate they aren't in DFW much......other than Central Market.....yes I know there are HEB's on the fringe (Cleburne, Waxahachie, Ennis) but why not in DFW proper??

Anyone know the answer?

We in Brownwood have wondered the same thing. Lampassas, Abilene, San Angelo and possibly Stephenville have HEB's. The word is that they are concentrating on the DFW market. LOL

Matthew328
07-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Brownwood would be a good spot for one...and yes there is one in Stephenville

mistanice
07-15-2008, 10:04 PM
The one in Lufkin blows. The store needs to be demolished.

big daddy russ
07-15-2008, 10:13 PM
I've gotta agree with you, Matt. My wife and I can spend $80 for a week's worth of groceries and eat like royalty. Filets one night, whatever meal deal they have another, chicken another, and fish (usually either boiled or grilled shrimp or redfish) another.

And their produce and meats are tons fresher than Kroger or Wally World. They have the freshest fish I've had in the greater Houston area, including restaurants here.

STANG RED
07-15-2008, 10:33 PM
HEB's are the best by a long shot! I went into a Kroger in Ft. Worth recently and swore I would not go back, and I didnt. Their prices are rediculous, and selections are poor.
I wish we could get an HEB in Sweetwater, but it'll never happen.

JR2004
07-15-2008, 10:36 PM
It was nice to have an HEB in Waxahachie when I was in college. I grew up with one in Lampasas. Heck I even remember when they had their 85th anniversary in 1990 and brought that life-sized replica of the original store to town. It's a pretty good grocery store and their deli easily beats any of the grocery stores here in Dallas.

I think there is an HEB Pantry Foods store somewhere up here on the northside of Dallas, but not a full grocery store. The one thing I can get at HEB that I CAN'T GET at any grocery store here is TEXAS SIZED hamburger buns! I hate these "jumbo-sized" buns they have here that aren't half the size of the HEB ones. Anytime I go home I always pick some of them up as well as some Elgin Sausage.

LH OffseasonVet
07-16-2008, 12:10 AM
What ya'll really need to check out is the new HEB Plus stores (same concept as Super Wal-Mart). They are really nice, lots of space and great products. The stores are divided into individual sections instead of the row after row of products as at Wal-mart.

coach
07-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by mistanice

yeah the one in nac closed down

bwdlionfan
07-16-2008, 12:24 AM
I manage a grocery store in DFW, and as of a couple years ago, Kroger was the only grocery store that was actually gaining market share on Wal-Mart. DFW is also possibly the most competitive grocery market in the country, and although I think HEB would do well here, I don't know that they're willing to take the risk. There are TONS of grocery stores in DFW that are operating at a loss right now.

slingshot
07-16-2008, 01:12 AM
My wife will drive past a Wal Mart, Albertson's and 2 Uniteds to get to the HEB here.... def the best.

garciap77
07-16-2008, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by mistanice

Same in Abilene! But, a new one needs to be built!:)

Maroon87
07-16-2008, 09:21 AM
HEB didn't come to Houston until 2000. For the first few years I lived here I had to make do with Kroger's and Randall's. Once HEB set up shop here I didn't shop anywhere else. However, I did stop in to a Randall's to pick up a few things last week and was astonished at how much higher they were than HEB. Lesson learned.

STANG RED
07-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
Same in Abilene! But, a new one needs to be built!:)

Yeah that one in Abilene is about as unhandy as you can get. I'm surprised they spent all the money they did just a few years back on a remodle instead of building a new one on the loop somewhere. I think that store is just fine, but seldom go to it because of its location. Just too dang hard to get in and out of.

scrub c
07-16-2008, 01:14 PM
West Columbia has an heb pantry and it SUCKS!!!

but it is the only grocery store in town...and they know it and will not change.

No competition, they can be as sorry as they want to...

Macarthur
07-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
I manage a grocery store in DFW, and as of a couple years ago, Kroger was the only grocery store that was actually gaining market share on Wal-Mart. DFW is also possibly the most competitive grocery market in the country, and although I think HEB would do well here, I don't know that they're willing to take the risk. There are TONS of grocery stores in DFW that are operating at a loss right now.

This is dead on. Albersons, among others, have closed down stores in recent years. It's just such a competitive market, no one is going to take the risk of trying to carve out some market share.

sinton66
07-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328

Anyone know the answer?

HEB used to have a reciprocal standing agreement with Safeway to stay out of each other's territory. They did that when the company was still mostly south Texas. They had the same kind of agreement with Kroger's to stay out of Houston. Once HEB got big enough, they moved into the Houston area big time. I assume Dallas/Ft. Worth is probably the next target. And, as previously stated, the HEB Plus stores will gain market share on Wal Mart and everybody else in the area.

GreenMonster
07-16-2008, 05:59 PM
I though HEB was already in North Ft. Worth. somewhere near Hurst, Euless, or Bedford. They sponsor a football stadium up there as well, I think it is Pennington or Paddington, something like that. ;)

sinton66
07-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I though HEB was already in North Ft. Worth. somewhere near Hurst, Euless, or Bedford. They sponsor a football stadium up there as well, I think it is Pennington or Paddington, something like that. ;)

They way they do it is the surrounding areas first, then in town. That's what they did in Houston. There were stores in the suburbs first.

ronwx5x
07-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
HEB didn't come to Houston until 2000. For the first few years I lived here I had to make do with Kroger's and Randall's. Once HEB set up shop here I didn't shop anywhere else. However, I did stop in to a Randall's to pick up a few things last week and was astonished at how much higher they were than HEB. Lesson learned.

HEB was in Houston by 1990, at least in the suburbs. They were the small pantry stores, but HEB nevertheless.:eek:

sinton66
07-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
HEB was in Houston by 1990, at least in the suburbs. They were the small pantry stores, but HEB nevertheless.:eek:

That's true, they were. Used to shop the Pantry in Tomball regularly.

GreenMonster
07-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Hijack a couple of HEB trucks at the warehouse in San Antonio on I-35 and create your own HEB.