PDA

View Full Version : Hand Sanitizers

Old Tiger
07-15-2008, 01:54 PM
do you like em?

I don't....they're bad for your immune system

coach
07-15-2008, 01:56 PM
i dont lke them bc i always have cuts on my hands...and how are they bad for ur immune system

Old Tiger
07-15-2008, 02:00 PM
well alcohol based ones do...now they are creating non alcohol based

the alcohol based sanitizers kill natural bacteria on your hands which prevent the spread of infections

jason
07-15-2008, 02:15 PM
i work on computers all day that are in computer labs and they have no telling what kind of germs on them - i go through germx like you wouldnt believe....

ronwx5x
07-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
do you like em?

I don't....they're bad for your immune system

I seem to remember reading that they are only "bad" because germs eventually become immune to them, not that the sanitizers are actually harmful to a person. Like many things, we tend to overuse them. They are not inheritently evil, just too much in use.

At least that's what I remember!:doh:

DDBooger
07-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I seem to remember reading that they are only "bad" because germs eventually become immune to them, not that the sanitizers are actually harmful to a person. Like many things, we tend to overuse them. They are not inheritently evil, just too much in use.

At least that's what I remember!:doh: same concept as those super germs found in hospitals and locker rooms.

RedWhiteBlue
07-15-2008, 02:58 PM
I use it all the time. I like it because you don't always have access to soap and water and at least it makes me feel like my hands are a little clean. I make my kids use it, too. I usually make them keep it in their backpacks during the school year. My daughter uses it.... my sons- not so much.

crzyjournalist03
07-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Is it true that urinating on your hands sanitizes them just as well as using a hand sanitizer? I think I'll write Mythbusters to find out...

piratebg
07-15-2008, 04:12 PM
I laugh because everyone at work is using a hand sanitizer bottle that expired back in Dec 2006. I keep telling them to throw it away but they insist on using it until it's finished.

piratebg
07-15-2008, 04:14 PM
I do like them. They do come in handy but I don't use them all the time. I'm not exactly a germ freak.

espn1
07-15-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm sure most of you guys use a lot more hand lotion than sanitizer.:D :D :D

piratebg
07-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Do explain. :confused:

pirate4state
07-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
Do explain. :confused: Let's not and say he did, mkay? :D

I have one in my car & purse. Its amazing the number of rest rooms that don't have soap these days! :rolleyes:

piratebg
07-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I have one in my car & purse.

Are you talking about hand sanitizer or hand lotion? :D

espn1
07-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Let's not and say he did, mkay? :D

I have one in my car & purse. Its amazing the number of rest rooms that don't have soap these days! :rolleyes: Thank You!:devil: :devil: :devil:

pirate4state
07-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
Are you talking about hand sanitizer or hand lotion? :D Both actually :p The use of hand sanitizer dries out your hands, that's where the lotion comes in, plus then your hands smell pretty! :D

wimbo_pro
07-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by coach
i dont lke them bc i always have cuts on my hands..

All the more reason to use it.

STANG RED
07-15-2008, 06:21 PM
I always thought they were just a waste of money. Give me good ole soap and water any day. Heck I only wash my hands a couple times a day usually, and I very seldom ever get sick. I have a very strong immune system, always have.
I dont even use medicines or bandages on cuts (except to stop the bleeding), and they always heal up just fine in a few days.
I think most Americans keep themselves over medicated, and their bodies start relying on that medication too much. Our bodies will usually take care of itself, if people will just let it.

Sorry, I kindof got off track there a little bit.:)

slingshot
07-15-2008, 09:12 PM
I use them all the time--prob 20-30+ times per day... between hospital rounds, trips to the bathroom, eating, shaking hands, touching environmental surfaces and examining 30+ patients daily they are a Godsend. Otherwise I would have to wash my hands 60 times/day! 20-30+ times is hard enough on the skin... We use a medical-grade Aloe product that does not dry your skin too badly. Only down side is cost... but it's worth it.

ProudHornetMom
07-15-2008, 10:04 PM
Hand Sanitizer Study (http://www.bio-medicine.org/biology-news/Hand-sanitizer-gel-works-1700-1/)

If soap and water aren't available, hand sanitizer is a good thing. You can always apply lotion if dryness is an issue. Better dry hands than a rank, nasty GI bug.