View Full Version : Mormons make missionary position clear

jason
07-15-2008, 08:36 AM
:D

July 14, 2008 01:33pm
Article from: NEWS.com.au

Font size: + -

Send this article: Print Email

THE creator of a calendar featuring buff Mormon missionaries has been excommunicated as punishment by local church leaders.

Chad Hardy said he bore no ill will toward the council of elders from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints over his punishment.

"I felt like I spoke my truth,'' the 31-year-old entertainment entrepreneur said after the disciplinary meeting in Las Vegas.

"Bottom-line, they still felt the calendar is inappropriate and not the image that the church wants to have,'' the Associated Press reported.

Men on a Mission, which has sold nearly 10,000 copies, features pictures of 12 returned missionaries wearing trousers but not their trademark white shirts.

The men are photographed in traditional missionary garb and share their religious beliefs in biographical sketches.

Some of the 12 featured have also been called to disciplinary meetings but have been punished.

Frank Davie, the senior leader of a group of Mormon congregations in the Las Vegas area, confirmed the 12-member council's decision to the AP.

Mr Hardy said the purpose of the 2008 calendar was not to tear down the church or its 13 million members.

"The project is about stepping outside the stereotypes and stepping outside of the image,'' he said.

"Not everybody fits the image and I let them know we're not trying to portray an image for the entire church.''

LINK (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24016421-38198,00.html)

Phil C
07-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Utah is mainly a Mormon state. The Mormons settled there in the 1840s. They wanted to be a state in the 1850s but were opposed by the US because of the practice of having plural wives (polygamous practice). Utah had to wait many years to be a state because of this practice. In the 1870s and 1880s they worked on eliminated the practice. To get statehood one of the conditions was that it be outlawed in the Utah State Constitution. This was done in 1890. It showed they really wanted to be a state because the large majority of people living there were Mormons. In recent years some have refused to live up to the agreement and have started polygamous practice (I wonder why women can't do so if men can?).

Utah became a state in 1896 and was the last state to enter the union in the nineteenth century.

JasperDog94
07-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
(I wonder why women can't do so if men can?) I wonder if it is the same reason that in Islam it is the men who get all the virgins and not the women.

injuredinmelee
07-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I wonder if it is the same reason that in Islam it is the men who get all the virgins and not the women.

Women are simply tools for having babies and keeping the house clean in both cultures.

CenTexSports
07-15-2008, 10:55 AM
So they are a lot like Baptist?

Phil C
07-15-2008, 10:56 AM
A Baptist will not drink alcoholic beverages. I respect that.

DDBooger
07-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
A Baptist will not drink alcoholic beverages. I respect that. i don't, hell jesus was great man...how else do you explain turning water into wine!:clap:

have some fun bible beaters, if I've blasphemed, oh well;) :cool:

ronwx5x
07-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
i don't, hell jesus was great man...how else do you explain turning water into wine!:clap:

have some fun bible beaters, if I've blasphemed, oh well;) :cool:

Wow, just in that short post you dissed Christianity, other people (Christians) as well as yourself. :rolleyes: