PDA

View Full Version : When to pull off?

Ozzy
09-23-2002, 01:52 PM
I just go my sorry butt out of bed and had a thought: when is enough enough. I know some of you think that teams should pull off when they are up in the second half. Some bloody coaches feel that they should score as many points as possible. My question, when and why should a coach quit trying to score if the other team is still trying to?

---------------------------------------------

"Momma's gonna worry, I been a bad bad boy. No use sayin' sorry, It's something that I enjoy"

SintonFan_inAustin
09-23-2002, 03:29 PM
When ur up by more than 60 points http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

TarponRl3k
09-23-2002, 04:07 PM
no need to pull off. theres no harm in sending the other team home in utter humiliation, it should just make them realize that they need to train harder.

Jacket2000
09-23-2002, 04:15 PM
I have to go to the sixman mercy rule and say that once you're up by 45, it's time to call off the dogs. Or, anytime in the 4th quarter when you're up by 30 or more.
Oh, and R13K, I know you've never played the game, so I guess it's not your fault for not knowing this. But you NEVER intentionally run up the score on a team. It's not only classless, but it pisses other coaches off; and the day will come when you field a not-so-great team and you may face that coach who you ran the score up on, or you may even end up coming to him for a job. Never make enemies that you dont have to make.
J2K

BullsFan
09-23-2002, 05:32 PM
What Jacket said. The only time I've ever seen Coach Henson run the score up on another team was completely unintentional. He pulled the first string, the second team scored a couple times. He pulled the second string, the third string started scoring. As he explained to the athletic boosters the following Monday evening, he couldn't very well tell the third string not to score when those guys barely ever got to play. (This was several years ago and we were struggling more at the time than we are now.)

mojjo_1
09-23-2002, 05:34 PM
I think when you have the game out of reach then you back off. Play your subs and build some depth. I was wondering about the 83 Dangerfield team. If You have the chance to set a record do you leave your starters in? Example, fewest points allowed season. I believe when the game is out of reach play everybody.

TarponRl3k
09-23-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Jacket2000:
I have to go to the sixman mercy rule and say that once you're up by 45, it's time to call off the dogs. Or, anytime in the 4th quarter when you're up by 30 or more.
Oh, and R13K, I know you've never played the game, so I guess it's not your fault for not knowing this. But you NEVER intentionally run up the score on a team. It's not only classless, but it pisses other coaches off; and the day will come when you field a not-so-great team and you may face that coach who you ran the score up on, or you may even end up coming to him for a job. Never make enemies that you dont have to make.
J2K

ouch, that one hurt. OH NO NO NO! I'm not saying to do it intentionally, I'm just saying you shouldn't let them rack up points just to be cautious. I mean, I understand, if you're playing a weak team, then chilling out a little bit is no problem because when you win, what are you even going to have to be proud of. It doesn't matter what the score was, what matters is who came out on top and how well the team played in comparison to their other games.
I'm not saying that if Sinton were playing Santa Rose for some odd reason taht Sinton should just start rackin up points just to see how high the scoreboard can go, but they shouldn't start slacking off.

And at that point, it is good to let players that don't get to play too often get their practice in. I know PI has done that a few times.

slpybear the bullfan
09-23-2002, 06:27 PM
It all depends on what THE GOAL is...

Do you...

1.) Want to enjoy the thrill of scoring points and romping?

Then keep the dogs on and watch out for payback

2.) Want to enjoy the thrill of scoring points and romping teams in November and December?

Then play enough of your team to hone the edge, season the backups, and keep EVERYONE as healthy as possible.

Trust me, the blow outs will happen. But oh, are they sweet when they come in late fall....

slpybear

PS - I eat all of these words when it comes to playing the Decatur Egrets. Hang half a hundred on 'em, then half a hundred more!

Matthew328
09-23-2002, 06:53 PM
Thais is a tough call...sometimes it all depends on the situation...but like J2K said you never intentionally run the score up...you never make enemies you never know when you'll need some film from the coach who's arse you just kicked or you may be out of a job and need one! I say 30 in the 4th or late third is a good margin...I know there are some exceptions..there were a couple of games where Everman was up 50 at the half last year and they were yankin starters in the 1st half..of course people will always point the John Tyler-Plano East game of a few years ago as an argument to leave the starters in...I had the pleasure of being at that game which in my opinion was the most unbeleiveable game I have ever seen at any level of football

BullsFan
09-23-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328:
of course people will always point the John Tyler-Plano East game of a few years ago as an argument to leave the starters in...I had the pleasure of being at that game which in my opinion was the most unbeleiveable game I have ever seen at any level of football

I remember seeing the highlights of that game on the news--several times. Now *that* is the kind of game that will break your heart.

District303aPastPlayer
09-23-2002, 11:37 PM
what was the score on that game, i dont remember hearing anything about that.

Jacket2000
09-24-2002, 12:33 AM
The final score was JT-48, PE-44, but the amazing thing was the way it ended. JT built a 41-17 lead with about 3 minutes left in the game. Plano East scored, recovered the onside kick, scored with 2 point coversion, recovered another onside kick, scored again, recovered another onside kick and scored again 26 seconds left to take the lead 44-41. This time PE kicked it deep and JT returned it 97 yards for the winning TD.
J2K

sinton66
09-24-2002, 06:52 AM
I agree with the principle not to do it intentionally. However, whether or not it actually is intentional is highly subjective. To be honest, I don't know too many coaches who would intentionally run up the score on weak opponents. Everman and Sinton were both accused of that several times last season. In my opinion it isn't intentionally running up the score when you put the subs in and they continue the barrage in regular season games. Playoffs are a different matter. In the playoffs, you go til the whistle blows because if you don't, you're gonna get your butt kicked. It isn't the job of the offense to hold down the score. That's what they make defenses for, and why it's said "Defense wins Championships".

ATMO
09-24-2002, 08:10 AM
Isn't anytime your score in a football game an "intentional" score. Isn't that the goal of the offense. So if you are scoring, whether it be with 1's, 2's, or 3's, scoring late in the game is "intentional". So what are you going to tell the reserves: Go play hard, but whatever you do, don't score. I've been on both ends. And what about the offensive plan. Do you let the reserves run what they have practiced all year, or do you run the base dive 33 times in a row. That would not be fun as a back-up receiver or QB. I say, let the kids play, give them a chance to be successful, and score if you have the opportunity.

bulldog65
09-24-2002, 09:22 AM
I agree 66, I don't think any coach in his right mind would intentionaly run up the score. You also have a "W" to protect, and what do you tell your 2nd & 3rd teams, not to try? I believe those players need seasoning, after all, they are probably next years team.

exbccards76'smom
09-24-2002, 10:29 AM
I know that Coach Conway would send in the second string if we scored alot of points. It gave them a chance to get some experience.

District303aPastPlayer
09-24-2002, 11:22 PM
I say when you are winning, protect the W. YOu need to be getting your seconds ready for the late fall, so put them in.

HOSSDADDY
09-25-2002, 03:22 AM
I was a part of the Newton team that got beat by Sealy 82-6. Our team was hurting bad from injury and I didn't see any letting up from a 42-0 halftime lead. Ill have to live with that score for the rest of my life. LOL The score doesn't bother me that much because that Sealy team was awesome. It is the fact that in the second half they didn't let up at all. I also have been a part of a Newton game that Coach Barbay kicked a field goal in the fourt quarter on second down. I personally don't believe in running it up either.

Xsmack
09-25-2002, 08:39 AM
Here is the whole problem with coaches "pulling off". Okay, a coach gets a lead, let's say 41 to 12, he begins to pull off, and then suddenly the score is 41-26. His QB throws an INT, they run it back for a touch, get the 2pt conversion, onside, get it, score again and get the 2pt conversion, and suddenly he is down 42-41. That coach will never "pull off" again unless he is up by 4 Tds with about 2 min left. I mean, if you can score 45 in the first half, who says they can't in the second. All it takes is a few big plays to get your team back in the game and get the other team to start worring again. Just my two cents.