PDA

View Full Version : Not a good start

GetRDoneStangs
07-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Me and the wife where headed out on our annual trip to the Frio pulling out 28 ft fith wheel

No StangGirl this year as she is headed with the McMurry Band to Italy later this week....

Anyway, we are headed up "9 mile Hill"....and we a a load noise.....then my wife says "What are the stairs doing out...I know I put them up.....and I see the sewer hose , normally stuck in the bumper , go waving in the wind.

We blew a tire and it took out the stairs, knoked a hole in the floor and damaged the invertor.

So we came home and I think I have everything repaired ....cinder blocks for stairs and the invertor seems to be working...it has no cooling fan....I am going to wait until morning and get new tires and on to the Frio!!!

It is amazing what damage a Blown Tire can do!!!!!!

injuredinmelee
07-13-2008, 03:44 PM
you should just take me with you in case you have any more troubles. I wont mind sitting with the truck while you walk to town to fix the next blown tire.

GetRDoneStangs
07-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
you should just take me with you in case you have any more troubles. I wont mind sitting with the truck while you walk to town to fix the next blown tire.

I would really appreciate the "Help"....but I will be putting 4 new tires on it in the morning....

You are more than welcome to come stay a night or 2.......all you need is what you drink!!!!.....:D :D :D

DaHop72
07-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
I would really appreciate the "Help"....but I will be putting 4 new tires on it in the morning....

You are more than welcome to come stay a night or 2.......all you need is what you drink!!!!.....:D :D :D Did the tires break down from sitting in the good old West Texas heat? This happened to use several years ago, great tread on the tires but ended up having 3 blow-outs in Colorado and South Dakota.:mad: :mad:

GetRDoneStangs
07-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Tires looked good....but are 5 years old.....I think it wil be cheaper to replace the ties after 3 or so years, it is not the mileage ..its the age!!

Dogman_1969
07-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Thursday morning I passed a 5th wheel travel trailer on it's side on HWY 36 North of Caldwell. The folks were probably headed to or from vacation. Man that was a bummer. They were out of their truck but it looked like the frame bent before the hitch allowed the trailer to come loose and as it did it crushed the bed rails on the passenger side.

Necks_Fan
07-13-2008, 06:31 PM
My grandpa has a 5th wheel and we were trying to get it on the truck hitch after the elctronic motor failed and we couldn't get it hooked in place and he decided to try and back his truck up and when it did, the hitch turned over and the 5th wheel crashed down on the back of the truck and caused alot of damage.

zebrablue2
07-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Me and the wife where headed out on our annual trip to the Frio pulling out 28 ft fith wheel

No StangGirl this year as she is headed with the McMurry Band to Italy later this week....

Anyway, we are headed up "9 mile Hill"....and we a a load noise.....then my wife says "What are the stairs doing out...I know I put them up.....and I see the sewer hose , normally stuck in the bumper , go waving in the wind.

We blew a tire and it took out the stairs, knoked a hole in the floor and damaged the invertor.

So we came home and I think I have everything repaired ....cinder blocks for stairs and the invertor seems to be working...it has no cooling fan....I am going to wait until morning and get new tires and on to the Frio!!!

I am just glad you all are OK. When the wife made that comment about the stairs, I am sure you said--:foul: and :foul:. Hope ya'll have a safe vacation..

GetRDoneStangs
07-14-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
I am just glad you all are OK. When the wife made that comment about the stairs, I am sure you said--:foul: and :foul:. Hope ya'll have a safe vacation..

That is probly real close to what I said!!! Actually, I did better than what I normally would have reacted, If you travel that stuff is going to happen.

I got new tires and fixed the hole in the floor and now off once again! If the park has its wireless working I will talk to y'all then!!!

Ranger Mom
07-14-2008, 09:06 AM
That is probly real close to what I said!!! Actually, I did better than what I normally would have reacted, If you travel that stuff is going to happen.

I got new tires and fixed the hole in the floor and now off once again! If the park has its wireless working I will talk to y'all then!!!

We are heading that way in 3 weeks...I have heard the river is low low low....let me know, please!!

Not that it will change my mind, we are still going.

Oh yeah...have a great time!!

pirate4state
07-14-2008, 09:09 AM
Lucky Megs going to Italy (I hope you didn't mean Italy, TX - haha)

Hope you have fun & don't encounter any more problems. :)

wimbo_pro
07-14-2008, 09:15 AM
What's the problem? You got a fifth wheel, right? You only blew one tire, leaving four good ones. Roll on Brother!

Daddy D 11
07-14-2008, 10:47 AM

where on the frio are you going? I was in Concan all 4th of July weekend, it was great.

GetRDoneStangs
07-20-2008, 03:58 PM
Made it home from the Frio just a while ago...

Does anyone have Chevy Chases phone number??? I have a real life script for his next "Vacation" Movie!!!!

I am setting up camp and could not get our water connection to stop leaking water all over the place, 3 hoses and 2 sets of washers and we get it down to a major trickle...well the birds liked it and it wasn't making too much of a mess, so I continue setting up. Then a guy from the RV park shows up and feels that we need to slow down the trickle....I plead and after he sees the extra hoses laying around, sees I have cinder blocks for steps and a hole in the floor .....leaks not so bad after all.

I knew the power invertor had taken a hit, but it tested out before we left.....it started turning of and on as it heated up and this would randomly turn off the a/c and turn on different alarms. We would just open cabinet doors and that seemed to help.

On Tuesday I am having a little "nap" before heading back to the river and the trailer fills with the awefull smell of ammonia....we exit out and after a short while the smell clears and a while later we realize the frig had just gone out!!!!No problem,,,,,we just throw all our food into ice chests and neighbors fridges.

Oh yea, we slept with the fire extinguisher next to our bed and I studied up on the emergency exit...just in case!

Then there was the micowave....it became possest and randomly starts placing times and codes on the display as well as beeping.

Believe it or not....we are still having a great time ( brought PLENTY of Whiskey!!) There is a guy that travels around to RV parks and makes repairs, it made it on Thursday and had a new DC Power Convertor, fixed the water leak, but brought the wrong size set of stairs.

Thats ok, I only slipped on the cinder blocks once!!!

The call to State Farm in the morning should be fun!!!

The next call will be to Family RV Center in Sweetwater...maybe a trade in the future!

Did I forget to menyion the battery shorting out and not charging....yep...that happened as well.

etbu
07-20-2008, 04:32 PM
We stayed in Frio Country but there was little water but we did found some water up at Happy Hollow. You can pay two dollars and float down and they will take you back up to the top. Water was hard to find but you should find some action east of Garner. Plus nothing like going to the dance each night at Garner. Have a great time and glad you are ok and LIVE IT UP.

GetRDoneStangs
07-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by etbu
We stayed in Frio Country but there was little water but we did found some water up at Happy Hollow. You can pay two dollars and float down and they will take you back up to the top. Water was hard to find but you should find some action east of Garner. Plus nothing like going to the dance each night at Garner. Have a great time and glad you are ok and LIVE IT UP.

The float to Happy H. was the more than likely the best float this year.....I nearly drowned on it Last Year......

Didn't do the dances this year, StangGirl headed to Italy so she didn't go this year. Even with all that happened it was nice being with the wife...camping.....NO KIDS!!....:D :D :D :D