PDA

View Full Version : 3A All-State Softball

middleagecardinal
06-10-2003, 10:46 AM
Does anyone know when the selections will be published? Or if they have, where can I find them?

GOFOR2
06-10-2003, 07:14 PM
The All-State teams are posted on the TGCA website at www.austintgca.com (http://www.austintgca.com)
The Texas Sportswriters Association will release its picks shortly. The coaches' association's unfortunately sometimes make some subjective picks and may pick some players that are not as worthy as others simply because coaches are on the commmittee. This year's selection, however, is pretty solid outside of 1 or 2 questionable picks.

middleagecardinal
06-11-2003, 07:11 AM
Thanks, That's where I have been looking but it seems that they had just posted it. Where will I be able to find the Sportswriter's picks? Found out that the Sports Writers picks will be out June 29 in a newspaper near you.

<small>[ June 11, 2003, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: middleagecardinal ]</small>

pirate4state
06-11-2003, 08:29 AM
Conference 3A
Name, School, Coach,
Stephanie Adams, Midland Greenwood, Ken Ferguson
Lisa Castellanos, Taft, Steve Dunn
Melissa Collins, Splendora, Val Weldon
Hayley Criswell, Borger, Misty Shaklee
Brandi Dalme, Van, Suzanne Braly
Jackie DeLeon, Sinton, Andy Villasana, III
Casie Everitt, Splendora, Val Weldon
Meagan Godwin, Bridge City, Sissy Lemons
Renata Guajardo, Taft, Steve Dunn
Deshondra Henderson, Atlanta, Bridgett Melton
Jessica Hunt, Van, Suzanne Braly
Jessica Lemoine, Bridge City, Sissy Lemons
Jennifer Reynolds, Sweeny, Billy Hicks
Jessica Sanderson, Robinson, Bryan Vandiver
Ashley Saulters, Van, Suzanne Braly
Holly Tankersley, Kirbyville, Jerry Gore
Congratulations to Jackie DeLeon & Coach Villasana on this honor!!

Phil C
06-11-2003, 09:20 AM
I agree Pirate. Jackie Deleon is a worthy one to get it and we can be very proud of her. Congratulations to Jackie and her Coach. I looked at the All State Academic Team and to their discredit they did not have Kelly Lankford of Sinton on it. She played Second Base and was great at it and she also had a great batting average and was quick and fast and could steal when she was on base. With her playing record she was worthy for the All State Academic Team. Acedemically she was the saluditorian of her high school class and will be attending Texas A&M at College Station this fall so that speaks well enough of her acedemics. Besides playing softball she played on the volleyball team that made the playoffs last fall plus she was the head cheerleader and those girls didn't just cheer at football games but at all sports functions. In fact they were rated as the best baseball cheerleaders in class 3A. And with her busy schedule she was the second ranked student in her graduating class. I am not knocking the other selections but they slipped up in not having this girl included with the Academic All State Team in 3A softbll.

Phil C
06-11-2003, 09:30 AM
I am not downplaying the honor of selection and it is not intention to knock any of the selectors but every time I see a list like that I can't help but remember what happened right after the 1975 football season when the NFL choose their All-Pro selections and the only Dallas Cowboy chosen was Cliff Harris. The Cowboys were not even expected to make the playoffs that year and when they did they were supposed to get beat early but on the road they beat Minnesota and Los Angeles and then played a great close game against Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl. The NFL sure was all wet in having the second best team in the NFL only have one all pro selection and was rediculed for it. Just a little bit of meaningless history.

Old Cardinal
06-11-2003, 01:13 PM
Bridge City has BOTH of their All-Staters back next year Meagan Godwin(Pitcher)-Junior and Jessica Lemoine(Catcher)-Senior: and the interesting thing, this summer, is that they are teamed up with the College girls from Louisana Lafayette on the BLAST team, Coached by Robert Verde. That team is presently, the top pick to win the 18 & U, AFA National Championship!

Old Cardinal
06-11-2003, 09:15 PM
I think Brandi C., the pitcher from Caldwell should have made the All State team!

Dulce04
06-12-2003, 08:55 PM
I would have thought that Brandi would have also made it but she definitely will next year. The only girl from Caldwell to make it was our center fielder-Krista Muzny. She was our valedictorian and was selected to the All-State Academic team.

Old Cardinal
06-12-2003, 09:37 PM
I see Bridge City ranked #1 and Caldwell ranked #2 next year...after that I see #3 Lufkin Hudson #4 Bellville #5 LaGrange #6 West #7 Canyon #8 Sinton #9 Decatur #10(tie) Orangefield #10 (tie) Kennedale...Would some others write down their Polls, at this time

Keith7
06-12-2003, 09:41 PM
Softball sucks

sinton66
06-12-2003, 09:44 PM
Why? Did one of the Gainesville girls strike you out? :D

<small>[ June 12, 2003, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

Keith7
06-12-2003, 09:53 PM
maybe its just cuz the teams in this area suck but i cant stand the sport.. all that chanting and girls wearing sweattops out on the field.. i hate it..

Old Dog
06-12-2003, 10:34 PM
Hey Old Card, did you ever see the King and His Court play softball in the 60's or so? 3 or 4 on his cross country team would take on all comers at softball. His pitches were absolutely untouchable! They played here once and beat all of the all-star adult men's teams real bad.

3afan
06-13-2003, 07:16 AM
there are probably 50+ girls deserving to be on this team, just like with any other sport's all-state teams. texas has so many schools its impossible to single out the 15 or so best. not saying any of the girls on the TGCA list dont deserve it, they certainly do, no question. but no matter who comes out with an all-state team there will be some who feel slighted. thats just the way it is and will be ...

Old Cardinal
06-13-2003, 09:42 AM
I have heard all the way up here that a marginal Coach with a marginal team at Taft, placed two girls on the All-Star team. That is only because-- there was manupulation to get on to the All Star selection committee! That kind of stuff irritates most of us real Softball fans....Girls like Worley(Lufkin Hudson), Brandi C.(Caldwell), Melissa Eshbach(Orangefield), Witte(Caldwell), Laura Gremillion(Bridge City), Gonzales(Barbers Hill), Hope Tankersley(Kirbyville), several good ones from Hamshire-Fannett & West; and a dozen others from across the State should have been picked-but you know politics, on this kind of committee runs rampant in both football and softball selections...All the other sports seem to be handled without the "greed factor" prevailing.

Old Cardinal
06-13-2003, 05:11 PM
To Old Dog: Yes, I saw their last performance a the National for 10 & U two years ago in Panama City Florida. "The King" had had a stroke and did stand up out of his wheelchair and hum a few with his good arm! I kept the program of their last show. The little girls were just in wonder, at the overall show...My grandaughter, pitched a "no run, no hit, no error, NO WALK" down there as a 10 year old for the Beaumont Blast, placing 5th in the Nation.

District303aPastPlayer
06-14-2003, 12:17 AM
Old Card, can you explain the taft situation.

Old Cardinal
06-14-2003, 05:29 AM
No, that would be inappropriate to carry it any further...Boy, there are some good SB players down the coast- Jackie Delone should really provide some Senior leadership to the Sinton team. Mandi Bertsch was a standout for LaGrange; that is the fastest base runners that I watched this season! Wharton with Casey Matzke and Jami Lobpries, was a good team! It looks like the great select team phenomenon that started in the Greater Houston area has moved toward Louisiana and also towards Brownsville, along the Coast, and 3A is starting to reap the benefits of all that year-round quality softball training. 5A and 4A now have a lot of elite HS teams. The College scouts are starting to camp down on the coast, to watch the summer softball participants.

Old Cardinal
06-14-2003, 08:11 PM
To Old Dog:I rummaged around in the bottom of my sock drawer and found the last booklet on the 2001 56th yearly tour on Eddie Feigner of the "King and his Court" The original group were Mead Kinzer Ken White, The King, and Jerry Meilicke-first International tour was in 1950. Eddie pitched 11,125 games and struck out 141,517; some pitching was- blindfolded, from second base, behind his back, between his legs and from centerfield(250 ft.)....Old Dog, at Panama City in 2001, there was Jack Knight catching, Rich Hoppe(mostly pitching), also Anne Marie Feigner, Eddie's wife. Anne once had the "The Queen of the Court" group. When Eddie met her, she had promoted and played on a Men's fastpitch team in TX. Anne Marie, is the one given credit Nationwide for the phenomenal rise in Girls Fastpitch activities.

big daddy russ
06-14-2003, 10:06 PM
I don't mean keep riding it, but it is kinda wierd that Taft didn't even make the playoffs and still they place two girls on the All-State squad. Like I said, I don't want to open a can of worms, but that is crazy.

Old Dog
06-14-2003, 11:39 PM
Old Card....I'm sure glad I asked the question. Thanks for all in insight. You younger folks will just have to take our word about the King. You just had to see to believe!!!!!!!

<small>[ June 14, 2003, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Old Dog ]</small>

Old Cardinal
06-15-2003, 01:44 PM
You know there were some other good 3A players-- Randi Warren & Heather Parker-Lindale...Also Kayce Zielinski & Jamie Thompson from Kennedale....Who will be the stars coming back next year from each team across the State?

Dulce04
06-15-2003, 04:28 PM
It does seem unfortunate that great athletes from teams who actually did make the playoffs weren't selected to the all-state team but when decisions like that are made, there's really nothing anyone can do about it.

Old Cardinal
06-15-2003, 04:43 PM
To DulceO4:
What a fine young Lady that you are! When a Catcher has over 40 "steals" against her and makes All-State; as compared to your Field Generalship behind the plate for a good playoff team; I commend you for your wonderful attitude. I look for the matchup between Bridge City and Caldwell to be the deciding game next season: just as the 1-0 game where Kirbyville beat Splendora on Holly Tankersley's lone homerun, set up the State Championship!